1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Chirality vs. Stereogenic.

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by girl22, 05.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. girl22

girl22 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    On AAMC 3 one of the bio questions explanations states that "stereogenic carbon atom (chirality center)" but everything I've read says that cis trans isomers can be stereogenic, but they're not chiral so how can does the aamc saying stereogenic=chiral make sense?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. medic86

medic86 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Verified
    Army
  4. bambam92

bambam92 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    cis/trans or E/Z designation is a matter of stereochemistry. R or S designation for chiral/stereo centers is a matter of right versus left handedness…completely different matters.

5. clairephillips

clairephillips 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I want to start by saying that I had organic chemistry 13 years ago. I was just looking up the answer to this to see if I could understand it after reviewing it recently. I'm nowhere near ready to take the MCAT... lol. What I understand is that cis/trans isomers are not just in alkenes, but also in cycloalkanes. These types of cis/trans isomers can be chiral/stereogenic while alkenes can't. An example of this would be the difference between cis-1,2 dimethylcyclohexane and trans-1,2 dimethylcyclohexane, which are chiral. For those with more knowledge of o-chem, can you please verify?

About the ads