Chiropractic Manipulation VS. OMM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RubberToe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are their respective manipulative techniques the same? Is there a difference? Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Are their respective manipulative techniques the same? Is there a difference? Thanks in advance :)

Yeah, basically the same. Only chiropractors dim the lights, burn incense, and play mood music.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, while I understand some of you might be frustrated with the repeat posts, please try not to be rude to our newer users. Everyone is a n00b at one point or another and might not use the site on a regular basis. There is no need to be sarcastic or rude here on the professional forums :D

To the OP (original poster) please feel free to search this site as in this forum as well as the topics in healthcare (and in the clinicians forum) this has been discussed. Scroll to the the top of the page and you will see the blue menu bar. On it is a search option. You can even go to advanced search and search in particular forums.

Some threads I found I'll list here:

OMM for the DO vs Chiropractic medicine

What's the difference?

Guys, while I understand some of you might be frustrated with the repeat posts, please try not to be rude to our newer users. Everyone is a n00b at one point or another and might not use the site on a regular basis. There is no need to be sarcastic or rude here on the professional forums :D

To the OP (original poster) please feel free to search this site as in this forum as well as the topics in healthcare (and in the clinicians forum) this has been discussed. Scroll to the the top of the page and you will see the blue menu bar. On it is a search option. You can even go to advanced search and search in particular forums.

Some threads I found I'll list here:

OMM for the DO vs Chiropractic medicine

What's the difference?

For a "new" user, I agree. Someone with 72 posts has been around long enough to know about the "Search" feature. Anyway, wasn't trying to be rude. Just trying to lighten up what is otherwise a torturous process. :)

Well I also said if they don't use the site on a regular basis :) Some people just reply to threads and never start their own. Some people start ALL their own threads. Yes I know its annoying and that some people just want to lighten up but at the same time I know everyone has been there and done that.

Education is the answer, not torture ;)

I sorta' looked around on the links given above, and most seem to be at least slightly mis-informed about chiropractors, and may make sweeping generalizations about chiropractors based solely on their experiences with OMM.

When I graduated high school, I went to undergrad with the intention of becoming a chiropractor. I had shadowed a chiropractor in my senior year of high school through HOSA, so I think I'm at least somewhat qualified to give my opinion here. While it is true that some chiropractors are pretty far out there with their treatments, i.e. lighting incense and mood music, etc., most chiropractors take their own unique approach. The guy I shadowed used "applied kinesiology", where he used muscle testing (different pressure points on the body that tells him how what exactly needs to be done) in order to diagnose his patients. I've had first-hand experience with this, as my own treatment was what got me hooked on it. Another guy in my area took a more systematic approach, with an X-ray machine in his office that he used as his primary tool of diagnosis.

From all the treatments I've seen them do, coupled with the treatments I've seen with shadowing a DO, I can say that they're pretty similar, particularly in the execution of the actual treatment. However, OMM and chiropractic differ in that chiropractors seem to have more freedom in how they go about diagnosis, while DOs are usually more systematic. Treatment is pretty much the same between the two, but how they reach the same conclusion is where it can, and usually does, differ.

Since the first few years in undergrad though, I've decided to become a DO (and recently getting accepted to TCOM only makes it that much more real!), for several different reasons. But I still have the desire for manipulation, and I really can't wait until I start learning OMM.

I agree, there's no need to be rude here. LouLou, have patience my friend, bc once you are a doctor you are gonna deal with alot of the same damn questions...over and over and over again, and I REALLy hope you dont become one of those A$$hole doctors that can't talk to their uneducated patients like human beings. We are here to help each other out!!! If you dont have anything good to say just be quiet!

I agree, there's no need to be rude here. LouLou, have patience my friend, bc once you are a doctor you are gonna deal with alot of the same damn questions...over and over and over again, and I REALLy hope you dont become one of those A$$hole doctors that can't talk to their uneducated patients like human beings. We are here to help each other out!!! If you dont have anything good to say just be quiet!

i second, no i third, that opinion. i've been wanting to address this subject for a while. if it bugs you so much that people ask questions that have been discussed before then simply ignore such posts. it takes alot more effort to actually log in and type a useless and rude comment. be helpful to others.

If you go to the osteopathic forums I started this exact same thread there only about 2-3 weeks ago. I will go find it and bump it up so it comes up on the first page. It has like 3 pages of posts on it, very informative. :thumbup:

the actual manipulations ARE similiar, but you are forgetting that manipulation is a TINY part of DO's.

DO's are the EXACT same thing as MD's (NOT chiros) except one added feature, the possibility, if needed, of doing manipulation. The actual techniques differe a little but mostly same principle.