choices for mph

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drppk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i am an indian student trying for mph
could anybody guide me so as to which univ offer mph ?
i mean not very expensive ones and those which offer aid and good job opportunities
also what is the scope after mph i mean do u get good jobs? and what would be ur pay like?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi.I am Indian medical grad and had applied to diff univ for mph this year.A choice of univ to apply would depend upon three things:your gre score,your final aim,i.e.,if u wanna continue with mph or plan to shift to graduate medical education later on and the amount of money u can afford.I could give u a suggestion regarding the choice of univ based on my exp if u tell me these three things.As far as i have heard,epid seems to be a decent place to be in as far as a future mph grad is concerned.From what i have picked up(and it could be pure hearsy),an mph grad in epid can hope to start at $30,000.

hello ankursegon! i am an IMG from India too, though I live in Canada. i want to do a degree in public health before starting a residency in FP/IM. my academic credentials are just average with a couple of fails, GRE scores are V390 Q680 and AW4.5. i am interested mostly in community health programs as those i believe are consistent with my future goal as a physician who along with a practice is involved in public health policy, education and research issues. i have applied to a few universities(idaho state, univ of southern mississippi,suny albany, nymc, umdnj,univ of rochester,san diego state,northern illinois,univ of alabama and george washington) what do you think my chances are? what kind of scores did you have ? where are you doing your degree? thanks !
enfield

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi enfield,
I can tell u that UAB will be touch and go as i know of a guy with a 1200 in GRE getting in.But then he had prior health related exp(done his MBBS from India).I havent really checked out the other universities individually,as i hadnt applied to any of them except UAB(i applied to 7 univ).I had q760,v780,analytical 5.5.As far as where i will be finally going,i am yet to decide between UAB and U Mass,as U Mass is offering me a tuition waiver.I know UAB is better ranked,but i am not sure if the difference is worth the money.

well I have done MBBS from India too, Bangalore Medical College.so being a doctor with public health experience would help ?! financing is not a concern to me and i am not looking for any kind of funding or scholarship.lets see how things work out ! good luck to you too !

Well,an MPH degree is of little help in India.R u planning to go on and do a residency after your mph in the states?

of course ! i plan to do a community health MPH and do a residency in FP/IM after that.i have passed usmle 1 and 2.would finish the MPH while looking for a residency this year. and i don't live in india, but in canada. i studied in india.

It will definitely help in your interview if you tell them you r doing or have done an mph.Of course,if u do some research side by side with your mph,it'll further add to your worth as a residency candidate.GL.

hi,i am a bangladeshi.want to do mph.but i really dont know much abt it.So can anybody tell me which universities will be good for me?I want to do mph in environmental science or epidemiology.And what r the last dates,i havent applied to any yet.please help me

i want to know abt tulane university,usa

Check out this site.It has links to all accredited mph colleges .U can check them out to c which ones r still accepting applications.As far as information on mph is concerned,got thru this forum and the links given in the sticky post.U'll get a lot of decent information.

http://www.apha.org/public_health/schools.htm

go to www.ceph.org you will find a list of acccredited schools of public health with their web addresses. there are a programs with deadlines in may or early june for the fall admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello drppk. I have a MPH and currently work in the field. Here's a link: http://www.asph.org/document.cfm?page=200
However, it has only accredited schools. I received my degree from Mercer University in Macon, GA...a fairly new program. There are new public health programs that are starting up at many different universities. My suggestion would be to look at individual websites for the university you would like to go to...or those in the area you want to live in. You can get good jobs in public health...in a variety of fields. What is it that you are interested in? It's not a career to choose if you want to make a large salary. Coming out of school I started at around $30,000 and now make close to $40,000. It just depends on what field you are in and whether you work for a public (government) or private agency.

If money is an issue, think about the University of Maryland College Park. The department chair, Dr. Robin Sawyer, is an AMAZING guy--funny, all around nice guy with a funny British accent... his class fills up so quick, and the waitlist hovers around 200 people each semester.

UMCP has tuition remission benefits for employees; this is from their website http://www.hhp.umd.edu

Graduate Financial Support

Financial assistance is competitive, but available in at least three
different ways.

First, our Department supports a number of Graduate Assistants whose primary function is teaching in our undergraduate program.

Second, we also have several faculty who support Research Assistants on their grants and contracts.

Finally, we may apply for Fellowship support for some graduate students from our Graduate School.

To apply for a Departmental teaching or research assistantship, submit the Assistantship Application by February 1st for the following Fall semester. Admission to a graduate degree program is a prerequisite for the award of a teaching or research assistantship.

Any graduate assistantship in any office of the UMCP campus provides the same stipend and tuition remission benefits for study in any graduate degree program at UMCP.

The University of Maryland recognizes the high cost of education today and makes every effort to offer financial assistance to qualified students through a variety of programs. Approximately seventy percent of all full-time graduate students receive financial support, which may include remission of tuition fees, teaching and research assistantships, work-study support, and university and other fellowships. Referrals for on-campus or area employment opportunities for students and students' spouses are also available in various graduate programs and in specific student service centers on campus.

-Liz

Ankur and Enfield Bullet: do you guys plan to go back to India or are you guys planning to stay in the states? Enfield, you said you live in Canada, are you planing to migrate to the states? With an MBBS and an MPH you can have a real good career with UNICEF. Of course you have to move around a lot (but that is all paid for by the UN). I dont know what you visa status is, but it is not the best idea to kill yourself just to come to the states especially to practice medicine. Keep all options open.

hello ammd ! well i don' intend to settle in the US. i just want to do an MPH and then residency in FP or IM. i would then come back to Canada, start a practice and get involved in public health issues. of course UNICEF and WHO aren't bad ideas. thanks for the suggestion ! but i have no idea as to how do these jobs get available. do you have any idea? as far as my status is concerned i am a Canadian permanent resident.

You would have to check their website for job postings.

Hi ankur i have also received a tuition waiver from umass but my i-20 does not mention it. does yous mention it.
mohit MPH

ankursegon said:
Hi enfield,
I can tell u that UAB will be touch and go as i know of a guy with a 1200 in GRE getting in.But then he had prior health related exp(done his MBBS from India).I havent really checked out the other universities individually,as i hadnt applied to any of them except UAB(i applied to 7 univ).I had q760,v780,analytical 5.5.As far as where i will be finally going,i am yet to decide between UAB and U Mass,as U Mass is offering me a tuition waiver.I know UAB is better ranked,but i am not sure if the difference is worth the money.

hi guys
Ankur ur scores are amazing
Lucky guy
actually i have scored 1440, v660 n q780 with 4.5 in A
Can u suggest some univs to me where i can expect some form of waiver inspite of being a indian citizen
N yes i do plan to shift over to med residency later on
Money yes i can afford may be for the first sem, but dont wanna risk it applying to harvard or JH .... what if i dont get a wiaver
N wanna try for a place which might give me a waiver from here itself so that i can show the same to visa officials

i suggest u try to get that from them some how.... cos that really helps in the visa procedure. If u have a waiver they really wont bother u with questns about funding sources

hi ankursegon,
im currently preparing for the gre n i happened to see your msgs in this forum, your gre scores are fabulous, can u please tell me where u studied from n gimme a rough idea about your study method??
thanks in advance.

Hi, I am an Indian medical grad living in USA. I am planning on doing MPH. Could you give me some information on how to go about it. What universities to apply to ? And also can you give me a rough idea on how much time you need to prepare for GRE in order to get decent scores.

ankursegon said:
Hi.I am Indian medical grad and had applied to diff univ for mph this year.A choice of univ to apply would depend upon three things:your gre score,your final aim,i.e.,if u wanna continue with mph or plan to shift to graduate medical education later on and the amount of money u can afford.I could give u a suggestion regarding the choice of univ based on my exp if u tell me these three things.As far as i have heard,epid seems to be a decent place to be in as far as a future mph grad is concerned.From what i have picked up(and it could be pure hearsy),an mph grad in epid can hope to start at $30,000.

maaiims said:
Hi ankur i have also received a tuition waiver from umass but my i-20 does not mention it. does yous mention it.
mohit MPH
Hi I am fresh out of school. I will like to kno wat options are open to me as pertaining to MPH in US or canada.

Hello,
Iam an MBBS doc from Rajasthan,India and now doing my MPH from Jawahar lal Nehru University(J.N.U.),New Delhi,India.I have a work experience in the feild of public health in HIV/AIDS feild of 2.5 years. now i am planning to move to canada. WHAT IS THE SCOPE OF MPH IN CANADA....WHICH EXAMS DO I HAVE TO GO FOR BRFORE STARTING WORKING THERE AS A PUBLIC HEALTH EXPERT...HOW TO KNOW WHETHER CANADA RECOGNISE MY DEGREE...PLS HELP...ITS URGENT....THANKS

Thanks for the info in this thread. MPH prgrams are an interest to me while I'm interviewing.

Hey guys....

I was really impressed by the posts which you have posted...I am an international graduate. i am ecfmg certified physician but havenot found residency yet.....i wanna do MPH as an alternative or may be i will be able to find residency after MPH....I am doing reserch on H-1 visa in these days....can you tell me which are the universities which are cheap....and give financial aid....plus visa....how aboult online mph.....your reply will be highly appreciated...........thanks

Hi terpgirl,

I am new one on this forum....its interesting to read and very informative...
i wanna do MPH but from which university....i live in philadelphia.....can you tell me the cheapest choices as for as money is concerned....and accredited as well....its very difficult to decide....i mean every state has programms which offer it....

thanks....

If money is an issue, think about the University of Maryland College Park. The department chair, Dr. Robin Sawyer, is an AMAZING guy--funny, all around nice guy with a funny British accent... his class fills up so quick, and the waitlist hovers around 200 people each semester.

UMCP has tuition remission benefits for employees; this is from their website http://www.hhp.umd.edu

Graduate Financial Support

Financial assistance is competitive, but available in at least three
different ways.

First, our Department supports a number of Graduate Assistants whose primary function is teaching in our undergraduate program.

Second, we also have several faculty who support Research Assistants on their grants and contracts.

Finally, we may apply for Fellowship support for some graduate students from our Graduate School.

To apply for a Departmental teaching or research assistantship, submit the Assistantship Application by February 1st for the following Fall semester. Admission to a graduate degree program is a prerequisite for the award of a teaching or research assistantship.

Any graduate assistantship in any office of the UMCP campus provides the same stipend and tuition remission benefits for study in any graduate degree program at UMCP.

The University of Maryland recognizes the high cost of education today and makes every effort to offer financial assistance to qualified students through a variety of programs. Approximately seventy percent of all full-time graduate students receive financial support, which may include remission of tuition fees, teaching and research assistantships, work-study support, and university and other fellowships. Referrals for on-campus or area employment opportunities for students and students' spouses are also available in various graduate programs and in specific student service centers on campus.

-Liz