Choosing a lab? The big and famous or matching research interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrayonShinChan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently decided not to apply this cycle and give myself another 2yrs to do more research before applying to MD-PhD because I realized my passion for MD-PhD quite late and only begun doing research the start of my Junior year.

Now my question is, if I choose a lab for the purpose of maximizing my chances for MD-PhD program, should I choose one that is

1. very Famous PI, currently super hot topics, publish fast and on several CNS paper a year consistently

OR

2. not super famous PI, but does exactly what I hope to do in PhD program, publishes much slower and because my field of interest is small and not so hot, mostly never CNS papers, this PI is also MD-PhD who practices in the field of MD I want to practice, and he is on the admission committee for MD-PhD of my dream school.

I understand for PhD I should do what I love to do instead of chasing hot fields, but is it worth it to spend 2 yrs chasing the hot fields and get a bunch of names on big journals in order to get into MD-PhD to do what I want to do? I am shooting for mostly top 10- top 15 schools and admitted students seem to all be research super stars and I already have 3 friends around me who have first author or co-first author on CNS because they work for 2-3yrs in fields like crispr etc.

Thank you guys for any of your input!

Members don't see this ad.

How do you get along with the two PI’s and the lab members in the two labs?

How do you get along with the two PI’s and the lab members in the two labs?

I have heard rumors that the famous PI's lab is rather competitive and intense lab environment, but both labs I have only talked with PIs via skype and have not met with the lab yet.

Would you say that it is not worth it to be in a highly intense, competitive lab (instead of a nice, friendly, fun lab) in trade for more publications for 2 gap years?

Members don't see this ad :)
2. not super famous PI, but does exactly what I hope to do in PhD program, publishes much slower and because my field of interest is small and not so hot, mostly never CNS papers, this PI is also MD-PhD who practices in the field of MD I want to practice, and he is on the admission committee for MD-PhD of my dream school.

This, in my opinion, is a major advantage (assuming your personalities mesh well).
My PI was on the adcom at one of the MSTPs I applied to. Every interview I had at that school brought up this fact in a very positive light.
One of my interviewers even said "it is hard to reject a candidate that has a Letter of Recommendation from an Admissions Committee member".

Though, I must stress this is my individual experience.

Reactions: 2 users
This, in my opinion, is a major advantage (assuming your personalities mesh well).
My PI was on the adcom at one of the MSTPs I applied to. Every interview I had at that school brought up this fact in a very positive light.
One of my interviewers even said "it is hard to reject a candidate that has a Letter of Recommendation from an Admissions Committee member".

Though, I must stress this is my individual experience.
Thank you!!