Choosing an SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homeostatic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To be honest, your stats are good enough to get into medschool. You have a 518 on the MCAT...I am in Duke's MBS program and I have had a pleasant experience here (if you want to spend your gap year in a top 10 medical institution).

^ no he is not GPA is way too low, regardless of the upward trend. He may even be screened out before they see that upward trend.

My GPA is a bit higher by 0.2 and I have a 519 MCAT and decent EC's but I still don't feel competitive.

Since you are from Ohio I would recommend UCinn SMP or Toledo SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you must absolutely do an SMP for personal growth then I would say go for it, but I don't think you absolutely need it. Focus on self reflection and write a great personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user
So you're saying you have a 3.4 GPA and a 519 MCAT with good EC's? Well with percentile rankings released by the AAMC for MCAT scores, a 519 is equivalent to about a 37 MCAT (they fall into the exact same percentile rating, which is 98th percentile). And according to the AAMC's MCAT vs GPA data, that would put you at 74.3% chance of acceptance (looking at data for white applicants). I'd say you have a pretty good shot unless you're wanting Harvard or something.
Alas, my ethnicity is azn (island asian) so I am considered ORM.
Also due to some extenuating factors, I currently feel that, regardless of my nice MCAT and decent EC's, I will still not be competitive enough.
BTW, I misread the post, GPA and sGPA is a low 3.3 and I graduated 2 years ago. I'm looking at anywhere b/w top 60-80 with a few "safety" schools in the lower rankings. Thing is, my GPA is so low which is why I need an SMP.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Abraxas305: I'm inclined to agree with you, and U Cinci's SMP is definitely one of my top choice SMPs. I also noticed you asked if you were a competitive applicant on the Georgetown thread and nobody answered, but from what I've seen scouring the previous threads I'd say you're definitely up there, even applying mid January (which isn't really late, I'd say late starts at mid February). I think the average matriculant GPA is a 3.3, and the average MCAT is about a 34, so you're handily competitive, just don't apply any later than you have to. I'm in a similar boat where I won't get my recommendations until the end of December.

MBSstudentT3: I'm looking at the Duke MBS website and this looks awesome, I'm not sure how I haven't heard of this already (I went to Duke for undergrad lol). Is this considered an SMP? It sure seems similar to one. What kind of stats did you have to get in? I had better do well enough this semester to bump me above that 3.2 applicant hardline haha, I'm pretty confident I can though.

Thanks for the reply!

Do you have any info an Duke MBS? I heard it's expensive for OOS but isn't Duke private? How's the linkage to Duke? (doubt there's any significant linkage)

No linkage but we have been told that "success" in the courses will grant us an interview. (Can't really make a promise at an elite medical institution like Duke). it is around 70k like most masters programs. They dont like to call it an SMP but it can be thought that way.

No linkage but we have been told that "success" in the courses will grant us an interview. (Can't really make a promise at an elite medical institution like Duke). it is around 70k like most masters programs. They dont like to call it an SMP but it can be thought that way.
Hi, I have been accepted to Duke's MBS and am looking for any information about the success rate of the graduated classes. Would love to go but am having trouble deciding between there and a few other SMPs that have been around longer. Thanks!