Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Choosing between 2 answers

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by radioactive15, Aug 11, 2015.

1. radioactive15

2+ Year Member

Whether it be for MCAT tests, or any other college multiple choice test, I am able to narrow the choices down to 2 possibilities, for the most part.
    (In regards to the MCAT, it's usually for the verbal section)

However, quite often, I choose the wrong one out of the 2 that I have narrowed it down to.

Are there any methods which you recommend when deciding between 2 narrowed-down answers that provides good results? There is a huge gap for me, and many times, it's the difference between getting 95% of the questions right and 50% of them right.

#1 radioactive15, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ab_kaka8

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Study more and efficiently. Most of the questions shouldn't come down to 2 answers, if you studied enough. Try to apply what you learned and make sense of one of the answers and then don't second guess it cause then you'll drive yourself insane and it'll become a guessing game

4. Pastamahn

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    For me I always just go with my gut feeling. I'm a fast test taker and try not to second guess myself and usually ends up working for me. Not a very concrete answer, but gut feelings sometimes help.

5. heebeejeebies

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Unless I can resolutely explain to myself why one answer is better than the other, gut feeling wins.

6. Spector1

Spector1 Orbis non Sufficit
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Calculate your guess rate and make sure it is not worse than 50%. If it is, then you might be overthinking some questions

7. whatever5

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If that's a big problem you have, narrow it down to the one answer you think it is and pick the other one.

8. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    There are two reasons for this: either your knowledge base is suspect, or you can get to the correct answer, but then overthink and then go for the wrong answer. Most people's first choice is the correct answer, so trust your gut instinct.

9. ac62994

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Story of my life. But I found that 80% of the time my first choice was right.