Choosing between 2 answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radioactive15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whether it be for MCAT tests, or any other college multiple choice test, I am able to narrow the choices down to 2 possibilities, for the most part.
(In regards to the MCAT, it's usually for the verbal section)

However, quite often, I choose the wrong one out of the 2 that I have narrowed it down to.

Are there any methods which you recommend when deciding between 2 narrowed-down answers that provides good results? There is a huge gap for me, and many times, it's the difference between getting 95% of the questions right and 50% of them right.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Study more and efficiently. Most of the questions shouldn't come down to 2 answers, if you studied enough. Try to apply what you learned and make sense of one of the answers and then don't second guess it cause then you'll drive yourself insane and it'll become a guessing game

For me I always just go with my gut feeling. I'm a fast test taker and try not to second guess myself and usually ends up working for me. Not a very concrete answer, but gut feelings sometimes help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless I can resolutely explain to myself why one answer is better than the other, gut feeling wins.

Calculate your guess rate and make sure it is not worse than 50%. If it is, then you might be overthinking some questions

If that's a big problem you have, narrow it down to the one answer you think it is and pick the other one.

There are two reasons for this: either your knowledge base is suspect, or you can get to the correct answer, but then overthink and then go for the wrong answer. Most people's first choice is the correct answer, so trust your gut instinct.

Whether it be for MCAT tests, or any other college multiple choice test, I am able to narrow the choices down to 2 possibilities, for the most part.
(In regards to the MCAT, it's usually for the verbal section)

However, quite often, I choose the wrong one out of the 2 that I have narrowed it down to.

Are there any methods which you recommend when deciding between 2 narrowed-down answers that provides good results? There is a huge gap for me, and many times, it's the difference between getting 95% of the questions right and 50% of them right.