choosing between an intervention field like Gastro/Cards vs Anaesthetics?

Started by ALTorGT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ALTorGT

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi
has anyone here mulled over a decision like this. what made you choose anaesthetics over something like cardio where you get to do interventional procedures, read echos etc (fix stuff) and appreciate applied physiology like you do in anaesthetics.

thanks.
 
ALTorGT said:
Hi
has anyone here mulled over a decision like this. what made you choose anaesthetics over something like cardio where you get to do interventional procedures, read echos etc (fix stuff) and appreciate applied physiology like you do in anaesthetics.

thanks.
what's "anaesthetics"? I know of a medical specialty called anesthesiology.

thanks.
 
IN2bait said:
what's "anaesthetics"? I know of a medical specialty called anesthesiology.

thanks.

Thank God you cleared that up for us. This parallels the attitudes of some anesthesiologists that I know. It actually made me laugh when I read it. I think too many of them have a ginormous chip on their shoulder about something. Maybe they make too much money or have too much free time.

Actual encounter with anesthesia resident:

Anesthesiologist: "Excuse me, student doctor? Did you just tell that patient that 'Anesthesia' would be in to clear her for surgery?"

Student Doctor Idiopathic: "Yes, ma'am. I did."

Anesthesiologist: "Well, let me tell you something. My name isn't Anesthesia or Anesthesiology, it's Dr. ___________"

Student Doctor Idiopathic: "I'm sorry...I didn't know who was on pre-op today."

Anesthesiologist: "Well, you should have checked first."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I still find this funny.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To answer the OP question, yes I considered cardiology, because I used to think it was a cerebral field, with interesting cases, but 95% of cardiology is contained in two diagnoses and three procedures. The pay can be nice, but interventional cards just didn't do it for me. Let's just say I think it would be more fun to learn cardio than to do it.
 
you'll be an old man before you finish your interventional cardiology fellowship. And after that, money might be good for your wife to spend, but you certainly will not have any time to spend any of it. GI has same issue in terms of years of training. Anesthesia has more flexibility than people think.
 
drlee said:
I'd rather be stuck in jail with Mike Tyson than do an IM residency. 😀

Is that Mike Tyson on or off his psych meds. And don't forget, Mike has been known to bite.

CambieMD
 
Mike was only in jail for, like, 3 years or something. IM/Cards is 6-8 years! Biting or not, 3 years of being Mike's bitch beats playing bitch to gomers and white-haired cardiology attendings for 8.

Seriously though, I considered cards briefly. A second later I recalled the part about having to go through IM to get there. No fukking way. One of my fellow residents who matched in cards often says if he could go back to med school, he would have done anesthesiology. If he could go back to college, he wouldn't have gone to med school!
 
"I've got kids to feed!!!"

- Mike Tyson explaining his actions in a press conference following the Holyfield incident

Why do you guys got hate on Mike like that. The man's just trying to feed his children.
 
Oh, and I have to concur with power on this one. Compared to getting reamed by IM attendings for a decade, being Mikey's favorite little school girl doesn't seem all that bad.
 
Idiopathic said:
No...morning report is worse than any other part of IM residency.

I, uhh, was busy during 95% of those this year. You know, that whole continuity of care thing. My patients get my full attention once I set foot in the hospital. No time for stuffy AM bickerings over why a CMP vs a BMP was ordered.

Plus its a long walk to the poptart machine and that morning report can interefere with that.