Choosing Between Graduate Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BananaZoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

This last admissions cycle I didn't get into any med schools, in part because of my relatively subpar academic performance in undergrad. To work to rectify this, I am planning to pursue a master's program and am equally interested in three different programs: a two-year genetics, a two-year biostatistics, or a ten-month medical master's program. Do you have any input as to whether any of these might be viewed more or less favorably by an admissions committee with regards to strengthening my candidacy? I'm a bio major, have conducted genetics and cell bio research, and am potentially interested in finding a way to work either of the first two into my medical career. The third would largely be to strengthen me as a candidate and begin to prepare me for med school.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Without a doubt the medical masters.

Doing well in a program in biostats won't tell us anything, other than you have a good head for numbers.

The genetics program would be useful only if you need it as prep for a backup career to medicine not working.

This last admissions cycle I didn't get into any med schools, in part because of my relatively subpar academic performance in undergrad. To work to rectify this, I am planning to pursue a master's program and am equally interested in three different programs: a two-year genetics, a two-year biostatistics, or a ten-month medical master's program. Do you have any input as to whether any of these might be viewed more or less favorably by an admissions committee with regards to strengthening my candidacy? I'm a bio major, have conducted genetics and cell bio research, and am potentially interested in finding a way to work either of the first two into my medical career. The third would largely be to strengthen me as a candidate and begin to prepare me for med school.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks for your time![/QUOTE]

Hello all!

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks for your time!

What's your MCAT and sci/cum GPA breakdown?