choosing between medical schools, thoughts welcome and appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple_1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know this is a good problem to have and I'm very blessed with this opportunity to choose between schools, but it would be nice to have a few people give their insight. I'm deciding b/w 3 schools: RWJMS, AECOM (Albert Einstein), and NJMS.

Biggest considerations:
1. Proximity to home: closer the better, but all are </= 45 min away from home.
2. Cost: RWJMS/NJMS = IS tuition at 40K, AECOM = 50K; Cost of living will be factored in as well.
3. Program Curricum/Opportunities: P/F highly desired as it encourages collaboration; Prefer to practice in NYC as I grew up there; considering academic medicine + community medicine in peds, but open to other specialties too, esp surgery.
4. Happiness/morale of students. Med school is tough enough!

Albert Einstein:
Pros:
-Immediately fell in love with the school when I went: students were welcoming and friendly; described great opportunities; even shared some tough moments with illnesz and sources of support from faculty.
-Curriculum is P/F MS1; HP/P/F MS2.
- curriculum itself; I am a fan of systems-based.
-Always have wanted to practice and work with patients in NYC.
-Family in NYC, living in the Bronx ~ to my neighborhood growing up.
- so much to freaking love about this school
-Subsidized housing + loans offered directly by school
-renowned for research
-Public transportation
-likely has much to offer in academic medicine and increased opportunity to achieve residencies in NYC. Love their residency programs.

Neg:
-Higher tuition
-Demographic of students matriculating per MSAR not particularly diverse (which I'm honestly a little shy about; I'm URM) Yes, if I'm URM that's just something I'll be experiencing anyway, but it's always nice to be in a more diverse group if possible.
-Personally, I feel perfectly safe in the Bronx and I loved it here. But safety is always a concern (but a very minor one for this school in all honesty).

RWJMS:
Pro:
-Comfortable here: did SMP and loved it. Great professors, students, and friends. Strong support system.
-Children's Hospital (strongly considering peds)
-IS tuition
-Love program and is pass-fail
-Aside: Cadaver donations originate at RWJMS for NJ
-Seems diverse here

Neg:
-furthest from home: driving = 45 min, but I rely on public transportation (for now-hoping to work on that this summer haha. I grew up in the city, guys :p) Without a car, commute = 2.5 hrs
-No housing available (must make own arrangements)--very troublesome as I don't drive now and everything is spread apart.
-Always felt safe on campus

NJMS
Pros:
-Diverse student body
-Medical elective I really like very well-established that is impt to how I want to practice
-Morale overall good, but got hints of disappointment from some students (slightly concerning)
-Public transportation
-IS tuition
-Faculty I met were great. You could tell everyone was passionate about what they were doing.
-Emphasis on community medicine apparent and abundant

Neg:
-not p/f
-safety a significant concern--even students and random people on the Rutgers bus were saying don't stay here late.
-student interviewer seemed unhappy

I know this was long but thanks for reading! Wishing you all luck in your cycles! :)

Members don't see this ad.

From what you've said, it looks like you love Einstein the most. It's in NY, you are happy there, and the cost of attendance is only 10k/year higher than the others, which isn't too outrageous. It's also ranked much higher than the NJ schools.

Side note: NJMS is in fact P/F (which you listed incorrectly)

Reactions: 1 users
From what you've said, it looks like you love Einstein the most. It's in NY, you are happy there, and the cost of attendance is only 10k/year higher than the others, which isn't too outrageous. It's also ranked much higher than the NJ schools.

Side note: NJMS is in fact P/F (which you listed incorrectly)

I don't think NJMS is entirely P/F

They have an internal ranking system where they keep track of which quintile you fall under.

Last edited:
I don't think NJMS is entirely P/F

They have an internal ranking system where they keep track of which quintile you fall under.

The preclinical years are P/F. (>70% to pass)

Their internal ranking system was eliminated in January because current students complained to administration, and it is now fully unranked.

Source: Asked both questions during my interview day in January.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The preclinical years are P/F. (>70% to pass)

Their internal ranking system was eliminated in January because current students complained to administration, and it is now fully unranked.

Source: Asked both questions during my interview day in January.

Oh nice, i didn't know that haha thanks for the update!

Thanks to everyone who responded! @radioactive it's funny that you mention the internal ranking system was eliminated; my student interviewer stated that there was internal ranking. Maybe that's a new development? I'll have to ask that during NJMS' revisit day.

Most people seem to be voting for Einstein, but what makes me hesitant about this choice is my current load of student debt. I'm a non-traditional student who went to graduate school before applying to med school, and my load is significant. Add to the equation compounding interest with a general federal loan cap of 240K (not my debt--that's just the max you can take out in student loans), that's something to seriously consider. An extra 40K in debt is significant, even if one opts for income-based repayments later down the road. If you graduate and pay with IBR, you're essentially not paying your principal at all.

I'm really waiting for my financial aid packages to come in so I can better compare what numbers I'll be looking at. I'm also hoping to get a better idea of the schools again on the revisit days so I can actually be a little more informed.

I've also been trying to apply to scholarships, but it's a little difficult when you're not an undergrad and not quite an MS1 yet.

Thanks to everyone who responded! @radioactive it's funny that you mention the internal ranking system was eliminated; my student interviewer stated that there was internal ranking. Maybe that's a new development? I'll have to ask that during NJMS' revisit day.

Most people seem to be voting for Einstein, but what makes me hesitant about this choice is my current load of student debt. I'm a non-traditional student who went to graduate school before applying to med school, and my load is significant. Add to the equation compounding interest with a general federal loan cap of 240K (not my debt--that's just the max you can take out in student loans), that's something to seriously consider. An extra 40K in debt is significant, even if one opts for income-based repayments later down the road. If you graduate and pay with IBR, you're essentially not paying your principal at all.

I'm really waiting for my financial aid packages to come in so I can better compare what numbers I'll be looking at. I'm also hoping to get a better idea of the schools again on the revisit days so I can actually be a little more informed.

I've also been trying to apply to scholarships, but it's a little difficult when you're not an undergrad and not quite an MS1 yet.
Also a URM , non trad with crippling student debt who is in love with albert einstein (not been accepted to there as of yet though still waiting to hear back). I would take on the extra debt to be in a place where I am happy. Plus the subsidized housing helps alot. I would choose albert einstein every time unless there was a huge financial difference

I'm actually really surprised no one voted for the NJ schools. Isn't anyone who voted from NJ? Haha.

But perhaps I sounded too blasé about RWJ. It's easy to point out the negatives when you've been at the school and know the ins and outs, but I do also love this program. I'm familiar with the professors I will have during the medical school curriculum as part of the GSBS program, have a strong support system here (as I mentioned above), many good friends, and have lived on campus (which unfortunately isn't available for med students).

I don't mean to go for circular reasoning here, but the stereotypical big 3 for factoring medical school decisions are location, cost, and residency match. Is there anyone willing to play devil's advocate for RWJ and NJMS? If not, why?

Also a URM , non trad with crippling student debt who is in love with albert einstein (not been accepted to there as of yet though still waiting to hear back). I would take on the extra debt to be in a place where I am happy. Plus the subsidized housing helps alot. I would choose albert einstein every time unless there was a huge financial difference

I'm wishing you lots of luck! I hope you hear back soon. :)

I'm actually really surprised no one voted for the NJ schools. Isn't anyone who voted from NJ? Haha.

But perhaps I sounded too blasé about RWJ. It's easy to point out the negatives when you've been at the school and know the ins and outs, but I do also love this program. I'm familiar with the professors I will have during the medical school curriculum as part of the GSBS program, have a strong support system here (as I mentioned above), many good friends, and have lived on campus (which unfortunately isn't available for med students).

I don't mean to go for circular reasoning here, but the stereotypical big 3 for factoring medical school decisions are location, cost, and residency match. Is there anyone willing to play devil's advocate for RWJ and NJMS? If not, why?

To me, it looks like you want to go to one of the NJ schools and want someone else to justify it.

With what you've provided, Einstein still is the best choice (and all the voters unanimously agree) for you and the extra 40k is well worth it in this case.

It's your decision, so I'd recommend you attend all 3 second look days and decide after that

To me, it looks like you want to go to one of the NJ schools and want someone else to justify it.

With what you've provided, Einstein still is the best choice (and all the voters unanimously agree) for you and the extra 40k is well worth it in this case.

It's your decision, so I'd recommend you attend all 3 second look days and decide after that

I'm not looking for anyone to justify anything. I just thought it was weird that not a single person voted for the other schools. They all have their pros and cons. I suppose I was thinking the results would be more normally distributed.

I'm not looking for anyone to justify anything. I just thought it was weird that not a single person voted for the other schools. They all have their pros and cons. I suppose I was thinking the results would be more normally distributed.
The cons you listed for AECOM are far less than the other schools. The area isn't that bad/unsafe , I know you are worried about the diversity of the student body but the patient population of Bronx is one of the most diverse in NYC and the tuition isn't that much higher. Follow that up with the positive of being close to your support system, higher ranked school with crazy research money the decision looks clear to most students. Maybe you should wait to see the financial packages each school offers. But I personally think you should pick AECOM if the cost difference is under 30k avl year

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll keep you posted in case anyone is interested.

RWJMS:
Neg:
-furthest from home: driving = 45 min, but I rely on public transportation (for now-hoping to work on that this summer haha. I grew up in the city, guys :p) Without a car, commute = 2.5 hrs
-No housing available (must make own arrangements)--very troublesome as I don't drive now and everything is spread apart.
-Always felt safe on campus

Why is this a negative lol?

Reactions: 1 users
My vote is einstein. It is the best of the 3 and fits a lot of the criteria you are looking for. I know a couple people there currently and they have nothing but glowing things to say.

So update: I have been fortunate enough to received enough aid to almost completely cover the difference between my state schools and AECOM. So far, it looks like I might very well be headed to the Bronx! :)