Choosing DO over MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
from where in hell did you bring homeopathy into the discussion
Osteopathic medicine getting absorbed into the ACGME, like Homeopathy did. No more degrees in Homeopathic Medicine. MDs taking osteopathic component of joint residency is encouraging to me that absorption might not happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Osteopathic medicine getting absorbed into the ACGME, like Homeopathy did. No more degrees in Homeopathic Medicine. MDs taking osteopathic component of joint residency is encouraging to me that absorption might not happen.
could you please illuminate the absoption of homeopathy into the MD degree? I have never heard this part of medical history.

could you please illuminate the absoption of homeopathy into the MD degree? I have never heard this part of medical history.
probably has something to do with Hanhmann College of Medicine, which was a homeopathic school, but eventually became MD. It eventually merged with Women's College of PA to form Drexel.
History - College of Medicine

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
probably has something to do with Hanhmann College of Medicine, which was a homeopathic school, but eventually became MD. It eventually merged with Women's College of PA to form Drexel.
History - College of Medicine
Thanks. But the New York school of homeopathy has been open since 1900 , So Im still confused how homeopathy as a whole got swallowed up by ACGME.

For the most part MD>DO>>>>>>>Carib MD

And i say most part because there are programs out there who won’t rank a DO but will take IMGs... and this certainly isn’t the norm at all

What about UQ-Ochsner, which isn't a Caribbean MD program?

What about UQ-Ochsner, which isn't a Caribbean MD program?

I don’t know the statistics but a significant majority of the time US grads will be favored. This is why people are cautioned if they want to practice in the US, attend med school in the US.

Thanks. But the New York school of homeopathy has been open since 1900 , So Im still confused how homeopathy as a whole got swallowed up by ACGME.
Homeopathy was considered a mainstream medical field, along with allopathic and osteopathic., until Flexner Report I belive. After Hahneman merged, acgme would not allow them to issue a homeopathic degree. Now Homeopathy is considered a fringe practice group like Naturopathy. If AOA merges, will there still be an DO degree? Hope this explains my post a little better.

The Flexner report was written in 1910, its conclusions included : that there was an enormous overproduction of uneducated and ill-trained medical practitioners, in absolute disregard for the public welfare. The results of the report included the closing of about 80% of the then-existent medical schools. Flexner was closely aligned with the German and Hopkins model of medical training. Flexner believed that homeopathy was functionally irrational and based on dogma.

Reactions: 2 users
I generally think my school is pretty good but when I'm sitting here memorizing the years that AT Still got married, flung banners, and used a rope to treat headaches when I have an MSK final coming up I want to bash my head in. So, yeah. Even if you disregard all the other reasons, that should be enough to make you prefer MD.

Reactions: 4 users
I generally think my school is pretty good but when I'm sitting here memorizing the years that AT Still got married, flung banners, and used a rope to treat headaches when I have an MSK final coming up I want to bash my head in. So, yeah. Even if you disregard all the other reasons, that should be enough to make you prefer MD.
This. This and more this.

Ahhh, the True Believers at it again. At least the California story is interesting.

Consider this part of the tuition you have to pay to become a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh, the True Believers at it again. At least the California story is interesting.

Seriously, the June 22nd date was noted as very likely to be on the test. >.< At least the Flexner report was in there.

That’s funny you phrase it that way, I’ve always thought the same. I consider it part of my repentance for getting crappy grades early on in college lol

That’s funny you phrase it that way, I’ve always thought the same. I consider it part of my repentance for getting crappy grades early on in college lol
my penance for being a ******* during my youth is being older than my classmates. Better to pay your dues now rather than to not be a physician at all.

Reactions: 1 users
I see this A LOT on this site and my school doesn’t make us do this. I’ve never had a history question on AT Still’s life and I go to a pretty hardcore omm school.

I see this A LOT on this site and my school doesn’t make us do this. I’ve never had a history question on AT Still’s life and I go to a pretty hardcore omm school.
And the weird thing is, our school is marketed as not being a hardcore OMM school.

And the weird thing is, our school is marketed as not being a hardcore OMM school.

Eh my school had that same stuff on our first OMM test and we definitely aren't very OMM-centric. I just always assumed it was a gimmie exam for free points.

Reactions: 3 users
Eh my school had that same stuff on our first OMM test and we definitely aren't very OMM-centric. I just always assumed it was a gimmie exam for free points.
Ha and maybe that’s the difference bc our omm exams are stupid hard. Seriously.

Ha and maybe that’s the difference bc our omm exams are stupid hard. Seriously.

Yeah that would change things a bit, our average for that exam was like a 93 or something. After that the averages for OMM tests are about 87

Yeah that would change things a bit, our average for that exam was like a 93 or something. After that the averages for OMM tests are about 87
Our last one was a 79 and the one before that was a 72. It’s pure madness. And those might be skewed higher bc we attract some “true believers.”

The only reason why I would choose MD over DO these days is because of OMM. Although I went into school thinking I'd love OMM (still think it's cool to learn), it takes soooo much time out of studying.

I'm only on our 2nd block as a first year so maybe more annoying things will pop up but so far that's it

The only reason why I would choose MD over DO these days is because of OMM. Although I went into school thinking I'd love OMM (still think it's cool to learn), it takes soooo much time out of studying.

I'm only on our 2nd block as a first year so maybe more annoying things will pop up but so far that's it
OMM only gets worse :(

First woman DO, California incident, year DOs and MDs were same in military. Random history questions, weee

First woman DO, California incident, year DOs and MDs were same in military. Random history questions, weee
Haha yeah honestly...but whatever, I studied for literally one day and did fine so I'm satisfied

What DO schools should I be applying to if I have no desire to learn OMM or anything related to osteopathy.. lol. I've applied to PCOM and KCUMB so far.

What DO schools should I be applying to if I have no desire to learn OMM or anything related to osteopathy.. lol. I've applied to PCOM and KCUMB so far.

OMM is tested in COMLEX so you’re going to learn them in every DO schools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not trolling I just want to have an idea of what schools place a minimal emphasis on OMM

Literally none of them, it's on COMLEX so every school will have a healthy dose of OMM. My school isn't very OMM heavy and I've heard DMU isn't but other than that I don't have any other particular schools that come to mind. Avoid Western from what I hear lol

Literally none of them, it's on COMLEX so every school will have a healthy dose of OMM. My school isn't very OMM heavy and I've heard DMU isn't but other than that I don't have any other particular schools that come to mind. Avoid Western from what I hear lol

I've heard NOVA places a very low emphasis on it but Goro has cautioned everyone to avoid it so I think I'll stick to his advice. Dang I was planning on applying to Western since its IS but I would not be happy there in that case.

Omit KCOM.

There are some that are more into OMM than others. I think MUCOM is one that just pays it lip service.

Let's turn the question around....are you willing to have to learn OMM/OMT if it means you'll get to be a doctor?

Omit KCOM.

There are some that are more into OMM than others. I think MUCOM is one that just pays it lip service.

Let's turn the question around....are you willing to have to learn OMM/OMT if it means you'll get to be a doctor?

Very good point. I am of course willing to learn it but I would feel more comfortable at a school that doesn't place a large emphasis on using it outside of COMLEX. Also I don't want my post to come off as disrespectful to DO students or faculty. Just specifically not interested in OMM

It will be on your boards, so you need to know enough to pass. All schools will emphasize it because they dont want board failures. I believe it will be on the boards for some years to come. Check out the ACGME merger thread for a better idea. If you dont want to be a DO, take a gap year, post bac or smp, and go to an allopathic school. My 2 cents.

~200-300k opportunity cost.
I really hope you get in an MD program. If you go into an DO program trying to avoid OMM you will be full of regret. Unfortunately, you have to take OMM as part of the curriculum, whether that is 2 hours a week or 4, it will take up your time. I don't believe in a program that puts "minimal emphasis " on OMM. If they is, you will make up for it somehow. You still need to do well on COMLEX for residency, and sometimes OMM can make or break your score. Plus, if you go to a school that is not pass/fail, your resentment towards OMM might catch up. You don't want to be getting Cs in a class that you hate or don't care about. As much as folks on SDN say that grades don't matter, ask them if they are willing to bet their residency on it. I am going to guess not. And, you know that DO title? That's not going away. There are some residency progs that will want you bec of your OMM "knowledge". Hope its good enough. I've mostly seen this in some primary care fields but hopefully your COMLEX/USMLE score will be good enough to match you in a specialty so you avoid all that. IDK, my attitude is embrace it enough to do well but don't hate. And if you are already tryin to avoid then this might not be a good fit for you. Good luck with your apps!

I really hope you get in an MD program. If you go into an DO program trying to avoid OMM you will be full of regret. Unfortunately, you have to take OMM as part of the curriculum, whether that is 2 hours a week or 4, it will take up your time. I don't believe in a program that puts "minimal emphasis " on OMM. If they is, you will make up for it somehow. You still need to do well on COMLEX for residency, and sometimes OMM can make or break your score. Plus, if you go to a school that is not pass/fail, your resentment towards OMM might catch up. You don't want to be getting Cs in a class that you hate or don't care about. As much as folks on SDN say that grades don't matter, ask them if they are willing to bet their residency on it. I am going to guess not. And, you know that DO title? That's not going away. There are some residency progs that will want you bec of your OMM "knowledge". Hope its good enough. I've mostly seen this in some primary care fields but hopefully your COMLEX/USMLE score will be good enough to match you in a specialty so you avoid all that. IDK, my attitude is embrace it enough to do well but don't hate. And if you are already tryin to avoid then this might not be a good fit for you. Good luck with your apps!
You said it better than I could.

With the new merger, my understanding was that DO students would take the USMLE instead? Wasn't that part of the idea to get rid of having to take two tests?