Choosing schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eschmitt98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am applying this upcoming cycle and have a pretty long list of schools I want to apply to. I finished undergrad in May and was really unhappy with my overall experience at my college. Now that I'm working on my list of PT schools, I'm getting really anxious about ending up in a program where I'm unhappy. Does anyone have tips for finding a program that fits your ~vibes~,(especially with COVID and travel restrictions) and not just your stats? I'm worried there's a great program for me that I'm overlooking. I know it's just three years of my life and I'll end up with a DPT wherever I go, but I already dealt with four years of hating my school, so the anxiety is kind of overwhelming.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! First off, congratulations for finishing undergrad! That's very exciting! As far as your concern goes, I totally understand where you are coming from because I was also in the same boat as you when I finished my undergrad. I was extremely unhappy throughout undergrad because the environment just was not to my liking and took a toll on me physically and mentally. So i totally empathize with you because ultimately you want to be in an environment where you will be happy to live and thrive, let alone make great company around you. I feel like associating with the right people makes a huge difference because again getting a vibe to a place ultimately also depends on the people around you. That's not very much in our control but who we choose to be around most definitely is. However, my suggestion to you would be is to take as many virtual tours as you can possible and truly envision yourself if you can live and be in this environment. It will give you an idea weather you will be happy here or not. Google some restaurants, grocery stores, and other things around the schools you plan on living near and see if its in a good vicinity or not. Try to assess the area around google maps if you possibly can by getting a street view of the area. I have been doing that and it gives you a better clue as to what is around and if you will be happy here or not. It does suck right now because COVID is making these things impossible but go with what your gut tells you because almost 95% of the time it's prolly right. If you don't like a place don't force yourself to like it. Mental health is key and in order to get through 3 years of PT school location is very important to determine that.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there! First off, congratulations for finishing undergrad! That's very exciting! As far as your concern goes, I totally understand where you are coming from because I was also in the same boat as you when I finished my undergrad. I was extremely unhappy throughout undergrad because the environment just was not to my liking and took a toll on me physically and mentally. So i totally empathize with you because ultimately you want to be in an environment where you will be happy to live and thrive, let alone make great company around you. I feel like associating with the right people makes a huge difference because again getting a vibe to a place ultimately also depends on the people around you. That's not very much in our control but who we choose to be around most definitely is. However, my suggestion to you would be is to take as many virtual tours as you can possible and truly envision yourself if you can live and be in this environment. It will give you an idea weather you will be happy here or not. Google some restaurants, grocery stores, and other things around the schools you plan on living near and see if its in a good vicinity or not. Try to assess the area around google maps if you possibly can by getting a street view of the area. I have been doing that and it gives you a better clue as to what is around and if you will be happy here or not. It does suck right now because COVID is making these things impossible but go with what your gut tells you because almost 95% of the time it's prolly right. If you don't like a place don't force yourself to like it. Mental health is key and in order to get through 3 years of PT school location is very important to determine that.
Thanks!! I'm hoping that maybe towards the fall as more people get vaccinated I might be able to actually travel to some of the schools but those are great ideas with google maps and everything! It's reassuring to know someone else felt the same. Did you apply this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!! I'm hoping that maybe towards the fall as more people get vaccinated I might be able to actually travel to some of the schools but those are great ideas with google maps and everything! It's reassuring to know someone else felt the same. Did you apply this cycle?
Yes i did!

One thing that helped me was the virtual tours/ open houses. Even if you are not there in person, the effort and personality of the people giving the presentation can give you a good idea of the program. Also, don’t hesitate to reach out if there is a school you really want to go to while schools might not be hosting group tours they might just give you a tour.

• For me, location was an important factor. I love the city vibes and didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere.
  • I attended info sessions as someone else said.
  • I reached out to the admissions/department faculty and asked if it was possible to be put in contact with a current student to ask questions to. (They said they would try but I never got connected sadly.) You might be able to connect with someone through SDN though, talking to current students can give you an honest insight on the school and program.

Hey everyone! I am applying this upcoming cycle and have a pretty long list of schools I want to apply to. I finished undergrad in May and was really unhappy with my overall experience at my college. Now that I'm working on my list of PT schools, I'm getting really anxious about ending up in a program where I'm unhappy. Does anyone have tips for finding a program that fits your ~vibes~,(especially with COVID and travel restrictions) and not just your stats? I'm worried there's a great program for me that I'm overlooking. I know it's just three years of my life and I'll end up with a DPT wherever I go, but I already dealt with four years of hating my school, so the anxiety is kind of overwhelming.
Congrats on graduating! Try to find some current students and ask what they like and dislike about the program. You can search on social media to try to find an unfiltered opinion, but you can also ask admissions if they can give you any students to email. I did this and found it helpful to hear from the students themselves since almost everything else you hear about a school comes from professors and other administrators.