Help choosing between a private school? USC vs USAHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RADPT21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am thorn about which school to go to, so I'd love to hear feedback from some experienced PT students that have been in a similar situation.

I've recently been accepted into USC and University of St. Augustine for the Fall 2021 cohort. Both of them are private universities; USC tuition costing around $180k for 3 years and USA $125k. Both of them are crazy expensive, but since as of now they are my only two options, I am thorn which schoolI should go? I am living in Hawaii, so I would have to pay for living expenses regardless where I go to, so I am solely considering tuition money as both schools are located in expensive cities of California (San Marcos & Los Angeles).

I am trying to go to the cheapest school to save as much money as possible, but I do not know if I should go to University of St. Augustine as it is a for-profit school, doesn't have as a good reputation and their accreditation status is expiring in 2022. I know the chances of USA losing its accreditation in 2022 are slim, but the over-thinker/planner in me tells me I should go to USC even if it costs more because of its reputation and their accreditation is good until 2028, so I would be 100% guaranteed to take the NPTE after graduating from the program. USC has a much better reputation compared to USA as well as more weeks of clinical rotations (44 weeks vs 30 weeks), but it is also $55k more expensive.

I am also wondering if going to a for-profit school would make me less marketable as a physical therapist?
I would love to hear feedback from USC and/or USA or even just PT students and tell me the pros/cons of the programs and what made you choose the program?

Thank you for your time and help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I just got accepted into USAHS in Austin Summer cohort Here, almost every PT school is going to be expensive especially in California and that is just the jiff of it. Also USAHS tuition is only 110k compared to USC which is 180k and that does not include Cost of living, which may put you at 250k debt since you will be living in Cali. School reputation does not matter in the eyes of employers as long as you have a DPT and your license. I got accepted to Western U as well but I’m not taking it due to the high tuition which is 132k las time I checked.

You would be better off going to a school that cost less than what you would want to pay. Consider living areas that have a much cheaper rent fee or housing fee since tuition for all PT schools will be high no matter what and picking the less expensive one is always going to be the way to go. Do NOT worry about reputation lol no one cares cause every PT literally does the same thing. If I were in your shoes I picked USAHS since its like 70K cheaper than USC. But that is just my 2 cents, good luck!

Hey I just got accepted into USAHS in Austin Summer cohort Here, almost every PT school is going to be expensive especially in California and that is just the jiff of it. Also USAHS tuition is only 110k compared to USC which is 180k and that does not include Cost of living, which may put you at 250k debt since you will be living in Cali. School reputation does not matter in the eyes of employers as long as you have a DPT and your license. I got accepted to Western U as well but I’m not taking it due to the high tuition which is 132k las time I checked.

You would be better off going to a school that cost less than what you would want to pay. Consider living areas that have a much cheaper rent fee or housing fee since tuition for all PT schools will be high no matter what and picking the less expensive one is always going to be the way to go. Do NOT worry about reputation lol no one cares cause every PT literally does the same thing. If I were in your shoes I picked USAHS since its like 70K cheaper than USC. But that is just my 2 cents, good luck!
oh my bad, just realized that the Cali cohort is 125k I apologize! It would be about 60k less instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
So that is a lot of money, even if it just might seem like a small difference in the scheme of things. With interest that is like 3 good cars... Not something to take lightly. But USC is a significantly better school. I say this as an insider not affiliated with USC but I'm in the academic rehab research world and the number of "big wigs" at USC is astounding. You will have more opportunities there. The faculty, facilities, research, clinical affiliations, etc are better. And I do think there are issues with for profit schools like USA (though there are also issues with private schools). But does all that matter? The truth is, you will come out with a degree, you will pass the boards, and get a job. Your success rates for those things aren't much different if at all between the schools. When might it matter? If you want a fancy residency or a job at a top rehab facility, but that still isn't guaranteed at USC or impossible from USA, just more likely from USC. If you want research down the road or consider a post-professional PhD, USC would definitely give you an advantage. But again, the price different does matter as well.

Reactions: 1 user
So that is a lot of money, even if it just might seem like a small difference in the scheme of things. With interest that is like 3 good cars... Not something to take lightly. But USC is a significantly better school. I say this as an insider not affiliated with USC but I'm in the academic rehab research world and the number of "big wigs" at USC is astounding. You will have more opportunities there. The faculty, facilities, research, clinical affiliations, etc are better. And I do think there are issues with for profit schools like USA (though there are also issues with private schools). But does all that matter? The truth is, you will come out with a degree, you will pass the boards, and get a job. Your success rates for those things aren't much different if at all between the schools. When might it matter? If you want a fancy residency or a job at a top rehab facility, but that still isn't guaranteed at USC or impossible from USA, just more likely from USC. If you want research down the road or consider a post-professional PhD, USC would definitely give you an advantage. But again, the price different does matter as well.
I feel like price difference would trump everything else honestly. Dont public universities get more applicants than private? I mean I would give an arm and a leg to get into a state public university honestly. If I could get financial freedom earlier in my career, I could focus on other things as well getting into a PhD or DHsc program without worrying about loans that I acquired from school.

Thank you all for your replies! I definitely agree that a PT is a PT regardless of which school you go to. At the end of the day, what matters is to pass the board exam and get your license.

I am debating because am the type of person that likes organized classes (USC teaching curriculum of one body system / semester), I like to have resources to study from (facilities and clinical sites are better at USC) and the more clinical rotations the better it will help me understand the class material. I am just afraid of the huge amount of debt USC will cost me. I am hoping that because it is a private non-profit school they have more scholarships available compared to USA (but I might be wrong).

I am also taking into consideration that I have family members in LA and my boyfriend lives two hours away, so my support system will be stronger if I go to USC because I do not know anyone in San Marcos. But again, the price difference between both schools is definitely something to take into consideration. 3 years will go by fast, but the amount of debt I get myself into will haunt me for at least 15 years haha.

Thank you all for your replies! I definitely agree that a PT is a PT regardless of which school you go to. At the end of the day, what matters is to pass the board exam and get your license.

I am debating because am the type of person that likes organized classes (USC teaching curriculum of one body system / semester), I like to have resources to study from (facilities and clinical sites are better at USC) and the more clinical rotations the better it will help me understand the class material. I am just afraid of the huge amount of debt USC will cost me. I am hoping that because it is a private non-profit school they have more scholarships available compared to USA (but I might be wrong).

I am also taking into consideration that I have family members in LA and my boyfriend lives two hours away, so my support system will be stronger if I go to USC because I do not know anyone in San Marcos. But again, the price difference between both schools is definitely something to take into consideration. 3 years will go by fast, but the amount of debt I get myself into will haunt me for at least 15 years haha.
I totally understand your situation! And yeah, the loans will take forever to pay back since especially the starting salary for most PTs is at 60k to 65k. I understand that clinicals and the curriculum is better at USC but sometimes thinking about the future and what you want as a PT is what really should base your decision. Also their are barely any scholarships for PT programs even in the some of the top programs. I had a friend who got accepted to Yale for Undergrad but ended up going to another university since the tuition outrageous and they literally had to scholarships. She is doing a dermatology residency in Harvard Med school now. So what ever you pick you hopefully end up the destination that you want regardless of what school you pick.