Choosing the "right" DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"great" MCAT is subjective too. Some adcoms think that a great MCAT for them is anything that is very close to their median school range or higher.

Others think a point or two lower or a point or two higher is indicative of a different type of student.

So much subjectivity. Also the MCAT itself is variable. Its a multiple choice test. Near the break point range (28-32), who knows how many people guess answers correctly to get into the next point range. I mean is there really a difference between someone who makes a 30 and someone who makes a 31?

Now the difference between someone with say a 29 and a 25 is very large. a 25 is 49 percentile on the test. a 29 is 73 percentile. 24 percentile is huge.

But then that is subjective as well. While most people would probably say that a 24 percentile is huge, there might be a few adcoms out there that say they are both equally bad because both people didnt hit the magical 30 MCAT mark.

Who knows what the logic is for each individual.

You are right about subjectivity. But you can't deny these statements if you apply them to each school on an individual basis:
A great score sets you apart from the average accepted applicant.
A good score may not set you apart from the average accepted applicant, but it doesn't detract.
A bad score detracts from your chances compared to the average accepted applicant.

What those numbers are varies greatly.

Also, you are right about what constitutes the difference between a 30 and a 31. But that was the old MCAT. The new one has spread out the ranges to account for this. Also, we each take the exam and are compared to other testers. Your score mostly depends on how you prepare and your test taking skills, but also some luck in guessing. But everyone is subjected to the same principles of luck and chance when they guess. I don't see how that isn't fair.

Also, the step is a MC exam too. Not standardized, but what happens when you end up guessing and don't get the score you wanted. Are you going to complain again too?

Members don't see this ad.

You are right about subjectivity. But you can't deny these statements if you apply them to each school on an individual basis:
A great score sets you apart from the average accepted applicant.
A good score may not set you apart from the average accepted applicant, but it doesn't detract.
A bad score detracts from your chances compared to the average accepted applicant.

What those numbers are varies greatly.

Also, you are right about what constitutes the difference between a 30 and a 31. But that was the old MCAT. The new one has spread out the ranges to account for this. Also, we each take the exam and are compared to other testers. Your score mostly depends on how you prepare and your test taking skills, but also some luck in guessing. But everyone is subjected to the same principles of luck and chance when they guess. I don't see how that isn't fair.

Also, the step is a MC exam too. Not standardized, but what happens when you end up guessing and don't get the score you wanted. Are you going to complain again too?

First of all no one is complaining so keep your passive aggressive comments to yourself.

No need to get defensive about defending the sanctity of an exam you did well on. You struck this argument up first, and I'm giving you my opinion on the exam. Here is what happened:

1. I noted another instance of a user who had a sub 30 MCAT score who killed the boards.

2. You said that my statement about MCAT correlation being weak to board performance is not correct.

3. I respond with my reasoning behind the subjectvity of score ranges. I still admit that large differences in scores represents knowledge gaps/test taking ability.

4. You say I'm complaining after you responded to my post which wasnt even referring to you or anything. What? Just because I think the MCAT has poor correlation to board scores does not mean I am complaining about the MCAT not "being fair". I realize the MCAT is a good correlation constant to use to determine if someone will PASS boards. Extrapolating Board scores from MCAT scores is moot. Its something that is done on SDN far too much because SDN culture promotes MCAT worship.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all no one is complaining so keep your passive aggressive comments to yourself.

No need to get defensive about defending the sanctity of an exam you did well on. You struck this argument up first, and I'm giving you my opinion on the exam. Here is what happened:

1. I noted another instance of a user who had a sub 30 MCAT score who killed the boards.

2. You said that my statement about MCAT correlation being weak to board performance is not correct.

3. I respond with my reasoning behind the subjectvity of score ranges. I still admit that large differences in scores represents knowledge gaps/test taking ability.

4. You say I'm complaining after you responded to my post which wasnt even referring to you or anything. What? Just because I think the MCAT has poor correlation to board scores does not mean I am complaining about the MCAT not "being fair". I realize the MCAT is a good correlation constant to use to determine if someone will PASS boards. Extrapolating Board scores from MCAT scores is moot. Its something that is done on SDN far too much because SDN culture promotes MCAT worship.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be passive aggressive. You've had many comments on SDN talking negatively about the MCAT, that's where that came from.

And for the record, I scored a 26 and had to live with that for a few years before I took the steps to improve. So, I'm not someone who is just "defending the sanctity of an exam you did well on."

Anyways, I apologize, didn't meant to be confrontational.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be passive aggressive. You've had many comments on SDN talking negatively about the MCAT, that's where that came from.

And for the record, I scored a 26 and had to live with that for a few years before I took the steps to improve. So, I'm not someone who is just "defending the sanctity of an exam you did well on."

Anyways, I apologize, didn't meant to be confrontational.

Do you know anyone that speaks positively about the MCAT? I dont.

Do you know anyone that speaks positively about the MCAT? I dont.
I may be a minority but I actually enjoyed studying and taking the MCAT lol. When I failed the first time, I certainly took it out on myself rather than the exam.

I may be a minority but I actually enjoyed studying and taking the MCAT lol. When I failed the first time, I certainly took it out on myself rather than the exam.

But your mentality assumes that everyone can get do well on the MCAT if they put the time in. Thats just not true. There are many people who cannot break a 27 on the exam even after several months of studying.

But your mentality assumes that everyone can get do well on the MCAT if they put the time in. Thats just not true. There are many people who cannot break a 27 on the exam even after several months of studying.
How did you gather that I assume that? Because, to be honest I completely agree with you. I believe that there are ceilings to performances in most things in life and its different for everyone. It is the same as saying some people are just not meant to be a doctor (or a lawyer, or a professional surfer, etc).

How did you gather that I assume that? Because, to be honest I completely agree with you. I believe that there are ceilings to performances in most things in life and its different for everyone. It is the same as saying some people are just not meant to be a doctor (or a lawyer, or a professional surfer, etc).

Ok I guess you dont then. But when you say "I certainly took it out on myself rather than the exam." , not everyone can improve on their exam by forcing themselves to improve. At some point they realize that they just cant beat this MCAT. You cant really blame yourself at that point because its not your fault that you cant do well after you've already done your best.

Reactions: 1 user
I just don't think you can make this statement haha you're going to tell me that the hundreds of med schools who have performed statistical analysis showing the MCAT and certain subsections are predictive of Step scores - schools that have integrated this into the very philosophy of their admissions process - are wrong? Nope. It is highly correlated with step performance. But, with all almost all correlations, it's not always black and white: there are people who don't do as well on the MCAT and ace the steps, and there are people that ace the MCAT and perform poorly on step.
I have several family members/ friends who were/ are academic physicians and they have all found 0 correlation between the mcat and step scores. These people are/ were with different medical schools in different regions of the country.

The material just doesn't overlap (sans some of the bio): sorry bud.

What are your views on BCOM good and bad. thanks

Its affiliated with a larger state school for one, another is that millions of dollars is being invested into the school's facilities and infrastructure. Its in relatively beautiful and warm region of the country.

The negative is that its a brand new school, there are no federal loans for two years, its a for profit school, the school has a dress code policy for students.

Its affiliated with a larger state school for one, another is that millions of dollars is being invested into the school's facilities and infrastructure. Its in relatively beautiful and warm region of the country.

The negative is that its a brand new school, there are no federal loans for two years, its a for profit school, the school has a dress code policy for students.
How does a for profit school affect you and clinicals. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like every new school has a dresscode policy CUSOM, BCOM, VCOM-VA (maybe the other VCOM's too), liberty, etc

EDIT
I think of those all have mandatory attendance too

I feel like every new school has a dresscode policy CUSOM, BCOM, VCOM-VA (maybe the other VCOM's too), liberty, etc

EDIT

I am thankful that MU-COM is playing the rebel in these two areas.

EDIT

At some of the Ivy League MD schools there is an unofficial dress code, its not mandated by the school but the students, everyone dresses up at those schools.

How does a for profit school affect you and clinicals. thanks

Many people in academia do not want their school being for profit, they do not like their school being in the same category as a Starbucks or a McDonald's franchise. It does not really have an affect on the clinical rotations. In many ways I think the clinical education at this school will be good, as I stated its associated with a large and well funded state university, its in a region with few medical schools, so there is little competition for rotations from competing schools, so there is room for it to grow, give it a few years, and it will turn into a solid program.

COCA has given the greenlight for many new schools without much thought into how the new schools will provide their students with clinical training and then with postgraduate training when their students go out in the real world. Despite the fact that the building for the students is not yet ready to me it does not mean that is a bad sign at all, the school is clearly sparing no expense to make sure the facilities are state of the art and brand new. Rome was not built in a day.

@Monster_Cat, do you mind sharing which school. I recently had an interview at a what I think is a pretty decent DO school, and I felt slightly underwhelmed, just wondering if it's the same one.

Also, with regard to the thread, I'm realizing that's it's very difficult for us (or at least me) to gain a good understanding of what a school will be like based solely on our interview day experience. It's simply not a thorough enough analysis of the school to really glean much from it. Instead, it's really just admissions trying to sell us the school, not allow us to explore the positives and negatives of the school, which is really unfortunate. So threads like this where current students address some of the pros and cons are actually quite useful to us as applicants. Even if it is just the opinion of a few students, it's better than nothing in helping us choose the right DO school.

Reactions: 1 users
@Monster_Cat, do you mind sharing which school. I recently had an interview at a what I think is a pretty decent DO school, and I felt slightly underwhelmed, just wondering if it's the same one.

Also, with regard to the thread, I'm realizing that's it's very difficult for us (or at least me) to gain a good understanding of what a school will be like based solely on our interview day experience. It's simply not a thorough enough analysis of the school to really glean much from it. Instead, it's really just admissions trying to sell us the school, not allow us to explore the positives and negatives of the school, which is really unfortunate. So threads like this where current students address some of the pros and cons are actually quite useful to us as applicants. Even if it is just the opinion of a few students, it's better than nothing in helping us choose the right DO school.

Yep, this is why when you pick a school, its kind of a gamble no matter what unless you have an unusual knowledgebase and experience with that school. This could be the school that is attached to your undergrad. Most applicants do not have the realistic time or money to get THAT acquainted with EVERY school they are applying to. This is why I say, when in doubt, pick the most established school that seems like a reasonable place where you would be happy for the next 4 years.

Yep, this is why when you pick a school, its kind of a gamble no matter what unless you have an unusual knowledgebase and experience with that school. This could be the school that is attached to your undergrad. Most applicants do not have the realistic time or money to get THAT acquainted with EVERY school they are applying to. This is why I say, when in doubt, pick the most established school that seems like a reasonable place where you would be happy for the next 4 years.

I definitely agree with those reasons. Also, I feel like if I was smart, I would let cost of attendance play an important role in my decision. But I'm not smart, and hundreds of thousands of dollars feels imaginary to me right now, and I'll just let future me deal with the crippling debt burden if I choose to go to a school with 60k tuition...

I definitely agree with those reasons. Also, I feel like if I was smart, I would let cost of attendance play an important role in my decision. But I'm not smart, and hundreds of thousands of dollars feels imaginary to me right now, and I'll just let future me deal with the crippling debt burden if I choose to go to a school with 60k tuition...

You got into AZCOM didnt you?!

I know it sucks. I'm not smart either. I had to work hard to get to where I am. I was never one of those cruiser bruiser types that could sail through Organic Chem with an A after studying for 1 hour before the exam.

You got into AZCOM didnt you?!

I know it sucks. I'm not smart either. I had to work hard to get to where I am. I was never one of those cruiser bruiser types that could sail through Organic Chem with an A after studying for 1 hour before the exam.

Haha yeah, I thought you got in too. I saw the thread you made in the osteopathic forum about what to do to before starting medical school, so I know you got in somewhere. If not AZCOM, hopefully someplace cheaper, because the thought of that tuition is starting to give me nightmares.

Also, I sailed through Organic Chem with ease and got an A, so I guess I am smart... Oh wait, that was only when I retook it at a community college, after getting a C in it the first time around.

Maybe @Seth Joo can address some of the pros and cons of AZCOM in this thread. I'm particularly wondering about the strength of rotations and ward based rotations versus preceptor based rotations.

Haha yeah, I thought you got in too. I saw the thread you made in the osteopathic forum about what to do to before starting medical school, so I know you got in somewhere. If not AZCOM, hopefully someplace cheaper, because the thought of that tuition is starting to give me nightmares.

Also, I sailed through Organic Chem with ease and got an A, so I guess I am smart... Oh wait, that was only when I retook it at a community college, after getting a C in it the first time around.

Maybe @Seth Joo can address some of the pros and cons of AZCOM in this thread. I'm particularly wondering about the strength of rotations and ward based rotations versus preceptor based rotations.

Yep AZCOM here too. Its a great school, however 60k is a terror sum.

@Seth Joo Indeed, perhaps you can enlighten us?

i was accepted recently at AZCOM aswell. it was good. weather is alright (i'm used to no winter areas), very low cost of living, in urban metro area near a large city, some what able to do research, match list is fine (quite a bit seem to go back to california), facilities are all brand new it seems. the only qualm i have is that the tuition is high. this school seriously cannot stop building new stuff, as if it wasn't big enough for a health professional school already.

Last edited:
Isn't the average school tuition about 50,000 USD?
60,000 USD/year will add about ~50,000 USD (very loose estimate) after four years. Not too bad, I wouldn't worry that much. Certainly not a reason to forgo going.

60,000 USD/year will add about ~50,000 USD (very loose estimate) after four years. Not too bad, I wouldn't worry that much. Certainly not a reason to forgo going.

it's alright. it's roughly the same price as if going to western comp or n private in chicago because their rent and other necessities are very expensive. of course, better if the governing body were to lower the tuition to the average.

Last edited:

Yep AZCOM here too. Its a great school, however 60k is a terror sum.

@Seth Joo Indeed, perhaps you can enlighten us?

Take a gander at this thread and don't feel afraid to post on osteo if you have questions.

Pros and Cons of osteopathic schools
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pros-and-cons-of-your-do-school.407104/page-27

Below was an updated version done by Hallowmann in 2013. It has links to the older posts.

Credit goes to THH. I decided this was so helpful, I would bump it. I also added dates to the posts so people will know how old the info is before clicking on the link. This should also help people know which schools need updated the most.

I also reordered some of them from newest to oldest (some were off), and fixed links so they go directly to the post page, as I had some issues viewing the "jumps" on my phone.

To give you guys an idea, the following schools need to be updated (posts are 2 yrs old or more):

ATSU-SOMA (2007), OSUCOM (2007), AZCOM (2008), GA-PCOM (2008), PSCOM (2008), PCOM (2009), TOURO-NV (2009), CCOM (2010), DMU (2010), KCUMB (2010), LMU-DCOM (2010), NYCOM (2010), OU-HCOM (2010), RVUCOM (2010), TOURO-CA (2010), UMDNJ (2010), and soon to be UNECOM (2011).

ATSU/KCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13678730&postcount=1045 - 02/2013
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12681123&postcount=1019 - 06/2012
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12594002&postcount=1006 - 06/2012
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11872646&postcount=967 - 12/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10492174&postcount=918 - 01/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9055060&postcount=771 - 12/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6381136&postcount=203 - 03/2008

ATSU/SOMA:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5220815&postcount=27 - 06/2007

AZCOM/MWU:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6430883&postcount=207 - 03/2008

CCOM/MWU:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10286358&postcount=895 - 11/2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10286464&postcount=896 - 11/2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7599427&postcount=369 - 01/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5260181&postcount=45 - 06/2007
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5258169&postcount=41 - 06/2007

COMP:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13697542&postcount=1062 - (COMP & COMP-NW) 02/2013
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6438978&postcount=211 - 03/2008
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6177154&postcount=173 - 02/2008

DMUCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10211652&postcount=890 - 10/2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6210706&postcount=178 - 02/2008
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6125897&postcount=166 - 01/2008

GA-PCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7063643&postcount=265 - 08/2008

KCUMBCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10261815&postcount=893 - 10/2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8987052&postcount=759 - 12/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8201339&postcount=490 - 05/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8164200&postcount=55 - 05/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8161159&postcount=43 - 05/2009

LECOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12593292&postcount=1004 - 06/2012
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11630901&postcount=953 - 10/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7459142&postcount=337 - 12/2008

LECOM-BR:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11104482&postcount=936 - 06/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8766690&postcount=699 - 10/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7066253&postcount=268 - 08/2008
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7065614&postcount=267 - 08/2008
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5215294&postcount=12 - 05/2007

LMU-DCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9279304&postcount=822 - 02/2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9212778&postcount=799 - 02/2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7205348&postcount=302 - 09/2008

MSUCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11950211&postcount=995 - 12/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6124538&postcount=164 - 01/2008

NSUCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13862485&postcount=1079 - 03/2013
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11571845&postcount=945 - 09/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9318520&postcount=825 - 03/2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7676710&postcount=380 - 02/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7281608&postcount=318 - 10/2008
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6644997&postcount=229 - 05/2008
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6464809&postcount=219 - 04/2008
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6464809&postcount=219 - 04/2008

NYCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9934568&postcount=854 - 07/2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8842190&postcount=731 - 11/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8144959&postcount=460 - 05/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7569872&postcount=357 - 01/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7115362&postcount=278 - 09/2008
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6207706&postcount=176 - 02/2008

OSUCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5300974&postcount=101 - 06/2007

OUCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9150174&postcount=787 - 01/2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6050014&postcount=152 - 01/2008

PCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7600584&postcount=370 - 01/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5223288&postcount=30 - 06/2007
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5273205&postcount=71 - 06/2007
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5210716&postcount=2 - 05/2007

PSCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13683627&postcount=1060 - 02/2013
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7221777&postcount=304 - 10/2008

PNWUCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11909883&postcount=979 - 12/2011

RVUCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9185499&postcount=794 - 01/2010

TOURO-NY:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11880967&postcount=970 - 12/2011

TOURO-CA:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9738421&postcount=839 - 05/2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7610885&postcount=371 - 01/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6986014&postcount=252 - 08/2008

TOURO-NV:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7717945&postcount=386 - 02/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7582257&postcount=359 - 01/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7017840&postcount=255 - 08/2008

UMDNJ-SOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9943651&postcount=858 - 07/2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6350212&postcount=196 - 03/2008
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6246323&postcount=190 - 02/2008

UNE-COM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10572222&postcount=922 - 02/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8623506&postcount=583 - 09/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6350212&postcount=196 - 03/2008
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6246323&postcount=190 - 02/2008
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5269932&postcount=59 - 06/2007

TCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11929337&postcount=986 - 12/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11558214&postcount=942 - 09/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6130672&postcount=169 - 01/2008

VCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12541409&postcount=1001 - 05/2012
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8164971&postcount=468 - 05/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5310597&postcount=116 - 06/2007

WCUCOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11613211&postcount=84 - 09/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11584395&postcount=72 - 09/2011

WesternU COMP-NW:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13697542&postcount=1062 - (COMP & COMP-NW) 02/2013
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11945900&postcount=989 - 12/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11904604&postcount=976 - 12/2011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6237800&postcount=185 - 02/2008

WVSOM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13397307&postcount=1043 - 12/2012
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8054458&postcount=450 - 04/2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6519743&postcount=224 - 04/2008

Good luck and congrats

Midwestern at AZ.

Oh ok, different school then. I had a good experience at AZCOM, but I can see people having a bad experience especially with the interviews. It's unfortunate because everything is already so subjective with interviews in general, and it seems like AZCOM occasionally gives students particularly stressful interviews which makes everything even more subjective.

@IslandStyle808, thanks that thread seems very helpful.

Oh ok, different school then. I had a good experience at AZCOM, but I can see people having a bad experience especially with the interviews. It's unfortunate because everything is already so subjective with interviews in general, and it seems like AZCOM occasionally gives students particularly stressful interviews which makes everything even more subjective.

@IslandStyle808, thanks that thread seems very helpful.

Good Guy @IslandStyle808

It wasn't even the interview it was a mix of the fact that there are a lot of underserved populations nearby that they really needed care, and I wanted to work with, and the impression I got was luke-warm at best about how they'd care for them and how I could work with them. they seemed really vapid about it, and I was very disappointed. the below avg usmle schools didn't help either. I get they're a DO but there are plenty of Do schools that prepare students for the usmle way better and score better.

AZCOM has one of the highest board pass rates in the country, I would like to know which school's students fare better than ours.

I'm talking about the usmle not the comlex. It has amazing comlex scores and pass rates, the usmle score averages are subpar though. Passing the usmle is one thing but I'm talking about the average.

Which DO school's students fare better on the USMLE?

On interview day they should a lot that were. Midwestern was like mid of the list out of all the , which doesn't surprise me. A lot of DO schools are having professors who write both for the comlex and usmle together and integrate questions from both exams into tests.

Midwestern doesn't do that so that avg usmle isn't surprising to me.

Since you go to Midwestern I really wish you'd address the Luke warm attitude about working with underserved populations given the many nearby. It really left a poor impression on me.

Name the schools whose students perform better than AZCOM on the USMLE if you would be so kind.

I do remember noticing the USMLE average was a little low for AZCOM. Still a good school tho

There's a good number that do. Chill in admissions for the early First presentations and they will show you.

I have no reason to make this up. National avg is 220 btw.

Still waiting you to address the Luke warm and lack of involved with the underserved. It really shocked me because it's in such an important location and could really do a lot. Like look at all at soma does for the underserved.

Its mostly because many of the students wanted to be MDs, and many of them want to be specialists rather than primary care doctors. The school also encourages students to pursue specialties more so than other DO schools.

I do remember noticing the USMLE average was a little low for AZCOM. Still a good school tho

There are 250 students in the DO program so there is quite a range of USMLE scores, but plenty do very well on the exam, compared to other DO schools in the Western United States, AZCOM does a great job of preparing its students for both board examinations. Our match lists prove it year after year.

I'm late to the party, but I'll address these from the perspective of an upperclassmen with no connections (or much knowledge) about DCOM whatsoever:

- The ever expanding class size (translates = money for the school) is literally too big to accommodate all the second year students into the lecture hall

Sadly this a problem at many schools apparently. Class size expansion is a problem, but do you really attend the lectures, or just watch them at home? If its the latter, this really doesn't matter. Most lectures are glorified outlines anyway, so your learning in 1st and 2nd year is mostly on you no matter what med school you go to.

- The student to professor/clinician ratio is embarrassing and the best clinical faculty that were at the school left this past year (also, virtually no specialized clinicians at the school)

Again, not sure how much of an impact this makes for years 1 and 2. I was never one to go and ask professors a ton of questions or for advice, so this wouldn't have affected me, but I guess I could see it affecting others. I'd actually think you'd get more out of other students.

- There is no hospital at the school so they ship the students out like pack rats to random community hospitals, several of which have no business being a teaching institute or they do not want students there (also, while you continue to pay the school top dollar for their "services" you are basically left to find yourself new housing, make your own schedule, in some instances find your own preceptors for "core" rotations, etc)

This is very common at most DO schools and even some few newer MD schools. Most schools have hospital affiliations though, but they tend to be primarily community hospitals. While its frustrating, choosing your own rotations and schedule can actually be a huge benefit if you are really proactive about it. You could end up doing amazing rotations. There are many times I wish there was more freedom to do this at my school

- The vast majority of second year "systems" courses are taught by family med docs (example, respiratory taught by FM doc rather than Pulmonologist. Cardiology taught by FM doc rather than Cardiologist. Renal taught by FM doc rather than Nephrologist. etc..)

While its nice getting lectures from specialists, pretty much any doc can teach about the pre-clinical aspects of these subjects. They all had to know it for boards. Again though, learning the material in med school is more on you than on your professors.

- Elaborating on the class size issue (translates = the money issue); the school has increased the class size to somewhere around 240 students, yet not nearly all of those students are equipped to succeed/get by in school. So to compensate and work with the students (translates = keep those students tuition money) the school will accept a huge number of masters students or let students repeat (several times) in an effort to help them get through (translates = money) the first two years. Example, student X does not meet requirements for acceptance into OMS1 class. LMU-DCOM offers student X a seat in the masters class. Student X accepts and pays for this seat. Student X makes it to OMS1 where they fail 2 classes during fall/spring semester. LMU-DCOM offers student X a repeat year of OMS1 with next years class. Student X repeats OMS1. Student X finally makes it to OMS2 where they either fail again and are excused from the school (left with MASSIVE debt and no job) or they make it to boards and are left searching for outside resources/classes/on-campus courses to help them try to pass. Students paying for 3-4 years of education to get through the first two years is Not an uncommon situation at LMU-DCOM, which can be looked past. The unacceptable part is the students that are left with MASSIVE debt and no way to repay it because the school strung them along as if they were going to get by eventually.

This is a ridiculous complaint. If attrition were really that large, it would be well known. AACOM publishes this type of info. The largest attrition rate at DO schools is 14% and the smallest is 4%. Attrition is normal, and many people might see DCOM's allowance of many chances to redeem poor performance as a plus. Now obviously you should aim for a place with low attrition, but most of what you described is only a problem depending on how big of a problem it is. If 90+% of students are graduating in 6 years, I wouldn't really think of this as a big deal.

- One of the largest locations the students are sent out to do their "clinical" rotations is a glorified high school shadowing experience. Students are not allowed to cut, sew, start IVs, intubate patients, act as first assist, deliver babies, administer shots, and by some accounts doing any sort of history or physical exam without their preceptor present. (all of which are things students are expected to learn as a third year medical student). When students have addressed these issues (extensively) with the faculty of LMU-DCOM, they are continually met with the response, "We still feel this is a good learning experience. Just stay positive."[/QUOTE]

This is by far the biggest problem. This really is a valid complaint that should be rectified. 3rd year is not for shadowing. I get annoyed when I get through a whole day (which is rare) where all I do is shadow, do H&P's by myself and write SOAPs. Not even getting to do H&P's by yourself is ridiculous, let alone not getting to do anything the whole rotation. If a place doesn't want students to do anything, they shouldn't be accepting students. This complaint needs to be brought to those in charge at your school and to AACOM and the AOA/COCA.

COCA isn't going to do anything because it would mean less DO spots available in the future.

Don't know until you try.

I was recently accepted here, and reading this kind of disheartened me. When I went to the interview, I really liked the school's atmosphere and family environment. The facilities seemed top notch and board pass rates were great. Along with their match rate. I guess 3rd and 4th years don't really matter as long as you become a physician in the end?

3rd and 4th year is kind of essential. Its really important. 1st and 2nd year is important to you as a student, because that's where your medical knowledge actually comes from, but you could do that anywhere (e.g. in a library with a stack of books by yourself if you wanted to).

I pretty sure people there are people who enter MD schools don't even have a clue of the structure of rotations. They want to know that they are getting a quality clinical education, but they don't understand what that entails or the questions to ask. Even among MD schools there are school that don't have university hospitals and use community hospitals instead (so there will be differences seen there, but not bad in comparison to clinic and doctor office rotations). Schools like TCMC use a similar model as what DO schools do. I could imagine these students applying to such a school and not realizing that the school uses a more preceptor based model.

Sadly some applicants in general don't really know what they are getting themselves into no matter what schools they apply to. SDN is the best resource so far in understand the whole process of medical schooling. People should be using it more.

/end rant

I heard about MD students that didn't know you had to do clinicals in 3rd and 4th year of med schools. I've also heard of one who had no idea that you had to do an internship/residency after you graduate from medical school. I'm sure those are exceptions, but you'd be surprised how little the average pre-med actually knows about the schools they apply to or even the medical profession in general.

LMU DCOM or BCOM at NMSU

DCOM.

Only if the relationship with NMSU proves to be as valuable as you are assuming. There is no proof of that yet. Best not to jump to crazy assumptions.

Its not a crazy assumption, they are spending a lot of money on the new school, and Dan Burrell, the benefactor of the school is a very wealthy man, he is like a Southwestern version of Donald Trump. I do not think he wants a school bearing his name to fail.

Its not a crazy assumption, they are spending a lot of money on the new school, and Dan Burrell, the benefactor of the school is a very wealthy man, he is like a Southwestern version of Donald Trump. I do not think he wants a school bearing his name to fail.

Let me ask you this...CCOM, LECOM-E, LECOM-B, or CUSOM?

Which one would you choose?

There are 250 students in the DO program so there is quite a range of USMLE scores, but plenty do very well on the exam, compared to other DO schools in the Western United States, AZCOM does a great job of preparing its students for both board examinations. Our match lists prove it year after year.

What would you consider very well for the USMLE? The averages from what I remember were around 223 or so, which is kind of low tbh.

What would you consider very well for the USMLE? The averages from what I remember were around 223 or so, which is kind of low tbh.

doesn't seem that bad for a DO school. do you know the step 1 averages of other DO schools?

I just don't think you can make this statement haha you're going to tell me that the hundreds of med schools who have performed statistical analysis showing the MCAT and certain subsections are predictive of Step scores - schools that have integrated this into the very philosophy of their admissions process - are wrong? Nope. It is highly correlated with step performance. But, with all almost all correlations, it's not always black and white: there are people who don't do as well on the MCAT and ace the steps, and there are people that ace the MCAT and perform poorly on step.

-_- you have no idea what your talking about. it is not highly correlated, plenty of schools have data representing absolutely no correlation. Some schools have correlations between scores and 3rd and 4th year performance. I'm sure there are some schools that have a slight correlation for some other years, or maybe even all of them. But it is definitely not highly correlated, and you are doing yourself a disservice by believing so (i.e oh, but I only got a 27-29 on the MCAT so I doubt i'll get 240+).

Last edited:
I don't doubt they are spending a lot of money and that the goal is to keep it from failing. You were saying that DO schools located within large public universities are the best (I agree).

All I was saying is that you lumped BCOM into the mix with some of the osteopathic big boys implying it is because it is affiliated with NMSU (a state school). Based on the BCOM thread nobody can tell you the extent of what the "affiliation" actually entails. They don't even have a completed school so we aren't dealing with a single definite thing in regards to BCOM just a lot of "ifs" and "will be's." It sounds like BCOM students will have access to NMSU housing, dining and recreational facilities. That affiliation is not super beneficial and won't make BCOM a top tier DO like state schools. I was just saying not to jump to conclusions that the NMSU connection will push BCOM over the top until we see what that relationship actually involves.

AZCOM has an MCAT avg around 30. They showed us their board performance at the interview: dead middle of the pack among DO schools for comlex, below avg on USLME. Sadly, they were happy with this performance. I don't remember the COMLEX score, but USMLE avg was 218. Meanwhile, KCU has a lower mcat avg, around 26. That class got an avg of 224 on the USMLE.

I'm not trying to put AZCOM down, I think AZCOM is a great school! BUT the MCAT is not a predictor of step scores.

AZCOM has an MCAT avg around 30. They showed us their board performance at the interview: dead middle of the pack among DO schools for comlex, below avg on USLME. Sadly, they were happy with this performance. I don't remember the COMLEX score, but USMLE avg was 218. Meanwhile, KCU has a lower mcat avg, around 26. That class got an avg of 224 on the USMLE.

I'm not trying to put AZCOM down, I think AZCOM is a great school! BUT the MCAT is not a predictor of step scores.

I think that our scores have a lot to do with the fact that we get a ton of time to study ( 9 weeks including 4-5 weeks of a full Kaplan course). For what it is worth, we've become a very board heavy school. Our entire curriculum is now set up around preparing us for the boards. Likewise, it seems like we are more USMLE leaning in terms of our curriculum as well. I mean, we will see what happens when my class takes the boards though. But I can imagine us at least getting the national average.

And yah, despite generally us being relatively mid range in terms of entrance stats, we do generally well on the boards. I think 60% of our class took it last year and the average was pretty high. Obviously, we don't know how the other 40% would have done ( Though my inclination is that it would have been a mild 1-3 point reduction though).

Average for all schools is around 230. UVA is 237, for reference MD schools. VCU is 229.

I'm a little confused on where you guys are getting the national average for DO's on the USMLE. AFAIK there is no data on the school websites. Is it all anecdotal or from an actual school presentation?

Just my perspective on the USMLE average for DO:
Based on the 2014 USMLE performance data, 20.4k MD's (88%) and 2.8k DO's (12% overall and ~50% of DO students) took Step 1 for a national average of 230.

This is where I start guesstimating the MD and DO average:
Consider that if the average for MD is 232 and DO is 220, then .88*232+ .12*220 = 230

What do you guys think?

One thing to point out is that just because someone doesn't take the USMLE, doesn't mean that they wouldn't have done well on it had they taken it. I am pleasantly surprised that the pass rate for DO's has skyrocketed the past ten years. Currently it's 93% vs 95% for US MD's (In 2004, it was 69% vs 91%)

Average for all schools is around 230. UVA is 237, for reference MD schools. VCU is 229.

Yes, sorry I should have been more clear. I meant to say AZCOM's avg was 218. That is the number they gave us at the interview presentation.