Choosing the "right" DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed. I'll probably apply to Rowan, PCOM, NYITCOM, KCUMB, CCOM, AZCOM. Any others I should consider? I like TCOM and MSU but I'm from New Jersey.

DMU is very strong. Kirksville-COM is in a depressing town, BUT, the school itself is the 1st DO school. Doesnt get more established than that.

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed. I'll probably apply to Rowan, PCOM, NYITCOM, KCUMB, CCOM, AZCOM. Any others I should consider? I like TCOM and MSU but I'm from New Jersey.

Sounds like a good list. Also try Nova.

Sounds like a good list. Also try Nova.

I like Nova, but I have a bad taste in my mouth because they appear on the list of schools with the highest level of student debt (and the other schools on the list are for-profit diploma mills like Devry and UofPhoenix).

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU is very strong. Kirksville-COM is in a depressing town, BUT, the school itself is the 1st DO school. Doesnt get more established than that.

ATSU has a campus in Arizona too.

I think a several schools had sites in Alabama including VCOM, LMU, and KYCOM. So that worst case scenario has finally been realized. I have a feeling the same fate will come to schools with distant Arkansas sites.

Honestly, even high tier schools are constantly pushed out of their rotations. VCOM-AL was an awful idea because there was barely any hope for rotations to be made at all since ACOM butted everyone out.

1st year here. I agree with you on the Masters student point. Otherwise then that everything is fine here so far. I know i don't have much perspective on rotations but it sounds concerning. The school has treated my classmates and I well. The campus itself is expanding and new buildings are going up throughout campus. I think this is a solid school but they just expanded the class size too fast without having adequate quality rotations.

I like Nova, but I have a bad taste in my mouth because they appear on the list of schools with the highest level of student debt (and the other schools on the list are for-profit diploma mills like Devry and UofPhoenix).

Along with NYU and an Ivy. Lets be frank, there's education that validates a price and education that does not. Medical school almost always validates the cost.

Soma is a depressing town. Not to mention for most people the ATSU curriculum is not for them at all.

There many DO schools in not so ideal locales, I visited a friend that goes to LECOM Erie, that is probably the most depressing town I have seen. It was overcast and rainy the entire time I was there.

Mesa is not that bad, I live near there myself, at least its sunny. Nova probably has the best locale of any DO school in the country, its in Ft. Lauderdale where many cruise ships dock, and its near Miami, how bad could it be live there for four years?

Perhaps add PCOM-GA, since they are fairly well established around Atlanta and they share the PCOM name. I've only heard good things from current students.

There many DO schools in not so ideal locales, I visited a friend that goes to LECOM Erie, that is probably the most depressing town I have seen. It was overcast and rainy the entire time I was there.

Mesa is not that bad, I live near there myself, at least its sunny. Nova probably has the best locale of any DO school in the country, its in Ft. Lauderdale where many cruise ships dock, and its near Miami, how bad could it be live there for four years?

I mean if you want me to be frank, I'd live in Ft. L in a heart beat. The city is beautiful and breathe of fresh air. Mesa to me is dirty and dusty, it made me feel like I was on Mars.

Perhaps add PCOM-GA, since they are fairly well established around Atlanta and they share the PCOM name. I've only heard good things from current students.

It's certainly a solid midtier. But they're picky I feel.

I mean if you want me to be frank, I'd live in Ft. L in a heart beat. The city is beautiful and breathe of fresh air. Mesa to me is dirty and dusty, it made me feel like I was on Mars.

ATSU SOMA's curriculum is very different from other schools, I believe their basic science education is shorter than other schools. There are nice places around Mesa, but lets be real, a lot of DO schools are in pretty bad areas, its nothing new, LECOM Erie gets the award for worst DO school locale. I found it strange how motels there were double what they cost near Phoenix.

Some people think UNECOM is a nice locale too, I guess when the school is not covered in 3 feet of snow.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Numbers wise or regional bias....? I've heard the former, but also that they stopped being so numbers oriented because they didn't like the class composition which arose, so they've moved back to a more "holistic" admissions approach. I think they do have a SE regional bias, as well.

Glendale is not depressing-AZCOM

Nova is great

KCU- Downtown KC is pretty good

DMU-Pretty Great as its in the capital of Iowa

CCOM- in Chicago

UNECOM- I can see how it can be considered a good locale.

There is a decent amount of schools that are in good places. Of course, most of them are in depressing areas.

I almost want to say there is a Big 4 for DO schools :laugh:

AZCOM, CCOM, DMU and KCU

Nova is great

CCOM- in Chicago

There is a decent amount of schools that are in good places. Of course, most of them are in depressing areas.

Those schools are pretty decent but then you got LECOM Erie, Ohio Athens, Pikeville, LMU, ATSU, and whole slew of others.

LUCOM looks like District 12 from the Hunger Games.

RVU has got a superb locale, its in a nice suburb of Denver.

Reactions: 1 user
Those schools are pretty decent but then you got LECOM Erie, Ohio Athens, Pikeville, LMU, ATSU, and whole slew of others.

LUCOM looks like District 12 from the Hunger Games.

RVU has got a superb locale, its in a nice suburb of Denver.

OH I totally forgot about RVU. I knew I was missing one. Yea RVU would be fantastic.

I've only heard of the greatness of Nova's locale of Ft. Lauderdale.

I've never been there.

If you guys were to rank the following schools in order of location only, what would the rankings be: AZCOM, CCOM, KCU, NOVA, DMU, PCOM, and RVU?

Along with NYU and an Ivy. Lets be frank, there's education that validates a price and education that does not. Medical school almost always validates the cost.

The ones in New York are like that because of the absurd living expense of NYC.

I understand med school in general is worth he price, but it is highly unlikely that I would get in to only Nova and not somewhere just as good for cheaper.

This applies in the MD realm as well - for example, Tufts is a great MD school, but if you can get into Tufts you can most likely get in somewhere that isn't 70,000/year too.

I've never been there.

If you guys were to rank the following schools in order of location only, what would the rankings be: AZCOM, CCOM, KCU, NOVA, DMU, PCOM, and RVU?
In my opinion, all of Florida is a toilet. But I guess some people really like hot, muggy, mosquito infested swampy wastelands full of old people from New Jersey. :barf:

Reactions: 2 users
In my opinion, all of Florida is a toilet. But I guess some people really like hot, muggy, mosquito infested swampy wastelands full of old people from New Jersey. :barf:

lol

ATSU SOMA's curriculum is very different from other schools, I believe their basic science education is shorter than other schools. There are nice places around Mesa, but lets be real, a lot of DO schools are in pretty bad areas, its nothing new, LECOM Erie gets the award for worst DO school locale. I found it strange how motels there were double what they cost near Phoenix.

No denying. Most DO schools are found in places of little appeal.

Nova is great

CCOM- in Chicago

UNECOM- I can see how it can be considered a good locale.

I almost want to say there is a Big 4 for DO schools :laugh:

AZCOM, CCOM, DMU and KCU

I'll add in my perspective to KCU. It's a very livable city, the rent is manageable, the prices on food are good, and there are lots of places to have fun in within this city. Getting into KCU made me happy not only because the school was solid, but also because of the reality that it provides a location that is versatile enough for me and my partner to do well in. I can also say that being a gay man most DO schools frighten me heavily, constantly I'd have to ask how I'd be seen if I held my partner's hand or something. And KC well, for what it's worth is oddly gay friendly too.

MD schools also duke it out over rotations,. Dartmouth once bought out a chunk of sites used by UCSF, and the new MI schools stole sites used by the established MI schools.

Honestly, even high tier schools are constantly pushed out of their rotations. VCOM-AL was an awful idea because there was barely any hope for rotations to be made at all since ACOM butted everyone out.

I've never been there.

It would be Nova closely followed by RVU, then AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, then PCOM. PCOM is near Philly, Philadelphia itself is not so great, but PCOM is in the suburbs so its in a safe and decent area.

The only thing I do not like about RVU is its founder, but they picked a great locale, Denver is a great city.

Locale should not be the only reason you should pick a school, it could be a factor since you need to be happy wherever you go to school, it should not be on the top of the list.

Last edited:
It would be Nova closely followed by RVU, then AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, then PCOM. PCOM is near Philly, Philadelphia itself is not so great, but PCOM is in the suburbs so its in a safe and decent area.

The only thing I do not like about RVU is its founder, but they picked a great locale, Denver is a great city.

Locale should not be the only reason you should pick a school, it could be a factor since you need to be happy wherever you go to school, it should not be on the top of the list.

I think its pretty important, especially with DOs, as you have the best chance of matching in the same region. That is what I have read around here anyway.

I think its pretty important, especially with DOs, as you have the best chance of matching in the same region. That is what I have read around here anyway.

Locale can be a factor, but you have to look at the actual quality of the school, also the fact that the school is in a certain location does not mean you will be there all four years, this is particularly the case with DO schools and bottom tier MD schools, they tend to have clinical rotations that are in various geographic regions far from the main campus. Just because you are in one city the first two years, does not mean you will be there for the final two.

The schools you listed are well established. I also mentioned Nova, as its well established, some student was mentioning the school tries to keep their rotations sites no more than 1 hour away from their students, to me that is really good sign because many schools students are moving around in their third and fourth years. Students at well known MD schools never really worry about these things.

Locale can be a factor, but you have to look at the actual quality of the school, also the fact that the school is in a certain location does not mean you will be there all four years, this is particularly the case with DO schools and bottom tier MD schools, they tend to have clinical rotations that are in various geographic regions far from the main campus. Just because you are in one city the first two years, does not mean you will be there for the final two.

The schools you listed are well established. I also mentioned Nova, as its well established, some student was mentioning the school tries to keep their rotations sites no more than 1 hour away from their students, to me that is really good sign because many schools students are moving around in their third and fourth years. Students at well known MD schools never really worry about these things.

Yea, but all DO schools have the same pre-clincial education pretty much.

The biggest thing then would be looking at their clinical education and then their locale 2nd. Tuition is also very important so that would be tied for first place with clinical education for me

Yea, but all DO schools have the same pre-clincial education pretty much.

The biggest thing then would be looking at their clinical education and then their locale 2nd. Tuition is also very important so that would be tied for first place with clinical education for me

Pretty much, at most MD schools, worrying about clinical education is not an issue.

The intention of this thread is simple, to help guide incoming students through the difficult process of choosing a school. I am not sure how much feedback will be given from other current students or prior graduates, but as a current student I feel some obligation to give my input of my experience thus far.

I will preface with this; I am giving feedback based upon my experience, as well as many of my peers. Having said that, I am not claiming to speak for my entire school or class.

I am currently a 3rd year student at LMU-DCOM on clinical rotations. If you would like to stop reading now I can make it very short, if you have ANY other options whatsoever I would strongly suggest Not attending LMU-DCOM.
If you are looking for more information as to why I would suggest this, I will list a few but please feel free to inbox me if you would like me to elaborate.
- The ever expanding class size (translates = money for the school) is literally too big to accommodate all the second year students into the lecture hall
- The student to professor/clinician ratio is embarrassing and the best clinical faculty that were at the school left this past year (also, virtually no specialized clinicians at the school)
- There is no hospital at the school so they ship the students out like pack rats to random community hospitals, several of which have no business being a teaching institute or they do not want students there (also, while you continue to pay the school top dollar for their "services" you are basically left to find yourself new housing, make your own schedule, in some instances find your own preceptors for "core" rotations, etc)
- The vast majority of second year "systems" courses are taught by family med docs (example, respiratory taught by FM doc rather than Pulmonologist. Cardiology taught by FM doc rather than Cardiologist. Renal taught by FM doc rather than Nephrologist. etc..)
- Elaborating on the class size issue (translates = the money issue); the school has increased the class size to somewhere around 240 students, yet not nearly all of those students are equipped to succeed/get by in school. So to compensate and work with the students (translates = keep those students tuition money) the school will accept a huge number of masters students or let students repeat (several times) in an effort to help them get through (translates = money) the first two years. Example, student X does not meet requirements for acceptance into OMS1 class. LMU-DCOM offers student X a seat in the masters class. Student X accepts and pays for this seat. Student X makes it to OMS1 where they fail 2 classes during fall/spring semester. LMU-DCOM offers student X a repeat year of OMS1 with next years class. Student X repeats OMS1. Student X finally makes it to OMS2 where they either fail again and are excused from the school (left with MASSIVE debt and no job) or they make it to boards and are left searching for outside resources/classes/on-campus courses to help them try to pass. Students paying for 3-4 years of education to get through the first two years is Not an uncommon situation at LMU-DCOM, which can be looked past. The unacceptable part is the students that are left with MASSIVE debt and no way to repay it because the school strung them along as if they were going to get by eventually.
- One of the largest locations the students are sent out to do their "clinical" rotations is a glorified high school shadowing experience. Students are not allowed to cut, sew, start IVs, intubate patients, act as first assist, deliver babies, administer shots, and by some accounts doing any sort of history or physical exam without their preceptor present. (all of which are things students are expected to learn as a third year medical student). When students have addressed these issues (extensively) with the faculty of LMU-DCOM, they are continually met with the response, "We still feel this is a good learning experience. Just stay positive."
- In short conclusion; there is a deficit in both number/quality of faculty, very few exceptional professors, the town (term used loosely) is dead, there is virtually Zero research, the clinical rotations in large part are embarrassing, and for lack of better terms they are Stealing from students.

This post is not meant to come off in malice or hate. Truly just felt some responsibility to express my experience to students considering this school and help make the decision making process easier and more beneficial in the long run. Again, please feel free to message me if you have questions and best of luck to you all.

So I'm not sure who this student is or what their beef is. I am a 4th year student attending LMU-DCOM. I dont know what warranted this, but I can surmise that you are a weak student. No matter what school you attend it is on your shoulders to perform. Period. Most DO schools are not affiliated with hospitals and if this is your issue, then maybe attend an MD school from the start. In regard to not being able to perform procedures, I completely disagree. I was able to almost do entire cholecystectomies as a 3rd year on core rotations. I studied my tail off and am competitive for any specialty pretty much. I have a close friend who just beat 270 on his USMLE Step 2 and is also a 4th year DCOM student, which is remarkable from anywhere. You also say that there is no research... Did you attempt to do any research? I have several friends who did plenty of research under Dr. Wood. Most of the students who were able to conduct research were upper level students who performed.. Dr. Throckmorton of the anatomy department will be in the NY Times for research he just conducted. Our class president did a paper on basal ganglia from research in the lab. All this to say, youre mistaken..

I'm very sorry that you have had a bad experience, but I can tell you that I have seen students from Vanderbilt and Yale while on rotations and I personally know students who blow them out of the water and are from DCOM. This goes to show that where you go to med school can help. Sure. BUT the biggest factor in success is how you, yourself, perform and the level of dedication that you have to medicine.

I will not say who I am or what I am doing with life, as I have never posted on this board, even though I have been on it for a while. But I can say that your statements seem off the cuff and you appear angry for some reason... You should feel blessed to be in a medical school and make the most of it. If you cant do this, then I'm sorry. I hope you find passion somewhere else in life.

To all those looking to DO schools, dont listen to nonsense. There is something that shouldnt sit right with a student from a school bashing their own school. Everyone has their own discrepancies with their home institution, sure. But ask yourself where this fodder is coming from... Makes little sense to me. Did this person not perform well on boards? Were they dismissed for not making grades? etc. Which, btw, if you fail TWO classes in a semester you are asked to repeat the year. If you fail ONE class you are allowed to remediate. I have never failed a class, fortunately, but if you do fail you are allowed ample attempt to correct yourself. DCOM wants you to pass, but if you fail TWO courses and then fail again the next round, idk that you should be in medical school to begin with.............

I will tell you that we just placed an opthalmology student at USC and had a recent neurosurg grad. Anyone who is chasing these high end specialties and puts in the work is more than capable. Also, our teachers are superb. Our first year basic science professors rule. Dr. Campbell is the main systems professor, for second year, and is a pathologist who will burn Robbins into your head before you take Level 1/ Step 1 IF you do the work.

It sounds like this student is disgruntled with their performance and maybe cannot do the specialty that they desire, which sucks, but dont let them dissuade you from considering LMUDCOM if youre going the DO route. We have a great school in the mountains of TN and if you put in the work you will be more than satisfied, as I am, when you reach your final year and are approaching graduation.

Good luck to everyone on here and dont listen to the haters. It's all nonsense from some disgruntled student who didn't perform. Just put your head down, do your work and it'll all work out...

Reactions: 6 users
Looks like I'm late to the party. Current 3rd year at DCOM and I've been happy with my experience so far. They do well covering the first two years and as long as you put forth the effort, you'll do well on boards. I scored >260 on step 1 and they covered almost everything found in the board study materials.

I was also able to do research with faculty, there are a few opportunities.

As for 3rd year, I guess I got the good rotation site. My experience is the opposite from OP's. Yeah, you have to find docs to take you for electives but there are a ton of sites already entered into our computer system so no legwork is required.

So I'm not sure who this student is or what their beef is. I am a 4th year student attending LMU-DCOM. I dont know what warranted this, but I can surmise that you are a weak student. No matter what school you attend it is on your shoulders to perform. Period. Most DO schools are not affiliated with hospitals and if this is your issue, then maybe attend an MD school from the start. In regard to not being able to perform procedures, I completely disagree. I was able to almost do entire cholecystectomies as a 3rd year on core rotations. I studied my tail off and am competitive for any specialty pretty much. I have a close friend who just beat 270 on his USMLE Step 2 and is also a 4th year DCOM student, which is remarkable from anywhere. You also say that there is no research... Did you attempt to do any research? I have several friends who did plenty of research under Dr. Wood. Most of the students who were able to conduct research were upper level students who performed.. Dr. Throckmorton of the anatomy department will be in the NY Times for research he just conducted. Our class president did a paper on basal ganglia from research in the lab. All this to say, youre mistaken..

I'm very sorry that you have had a bad experience, but I can tell you that I have seen students from Vanderbilt and Yale while on rotations and I personally know students who blow them out of the water and are from DCOM. This goes to show that where you go to med school can help. Sure. BUT the biggest factor in success is how you, yourself, perform and the level of dedication that you have to medicine.

I will not say who I am or what I am doing with life, as I have never posted on this board, even though I have been on it for a while. But I can say that your statements seem off the cuff and you appear angry for some reason... You should feel blessed to be in a medical school and make the most of it. If you cant do this, then I'm sorry. I hope you find passion somewhere else in life.

To all those looking to DO schools, dont listen to nonsense. There is something that shouldnt sit right with a student from a school bashing their own school. Everyone has their own discrepancies with their home institution, sure. But ask yourself where this fodder is coming from... Makes little sense to me. Did this person not perform well on boards? Were they dismissed for not making grades? etc. Which, btw, if you fail TWO classes in a semester you are asked to repeat the year. If you fail ONE class you are allowed to remediate. I have never failed a class, fortunately, but if you do fail you are allowed ample attempt to correct yourself. DCOM wants you to pass, but if you fail TWO courses and then fail again the next round, idk that you should be in medical school to begin with.............

I will tell you that we just placed an opthalmology student at USC and had a recent neurosurg grad. Anyone who is chasing these high end specialties and puts in the work is more than capable. Also, our teachers are superb. Our first year basic science professors rule. Dr. Campbell is the main systems professor, for second year, and is a pathologist who will burn Robbins into your head before you take Level 1/ Step 1 IF you do the work.

It sounds like this student is disgruntled with their performance and maybe cannot do the specialty that they desire, which sucks, but dont let them dissuade you from considering LMUDCOM if youre going the DO route. We have a great school in the mountains of TN and if you put in the work you will be more than satisfied, as I am, when you reach your final year and are approaching graduation.

Good luck to everyone on here and dont listen to the haters. It's all nonsense from some disgruntled student who didn't perform. Just put your head down, do your work and it'll all work out...

I totally invite other people's opinions of the school. Glad to hear you have had a good experience with DCOM. I will say though, I do not feel like I ambelished in my explanation of my experience with the school. And for the record, this has nothing to do with being an underperforming disgruntled student. I have worked hard to be in the top 10% of our class and score well on boards, hence me telling people they will have opportunity to excel regardless of the school they attend. The intention of the post was simply to give prospective students another students experience of the school they attended.

Appreciate you giving another opinion though and best of luck in the match.

Looks like I'm late to the party. Current 3rd year at DCOM and I've been happy with my experience so far. They do well covering the first two years and as long as you put forth the effort, you'll do well on boards. I scored >260 on step 1 and they covered almost everything found in the board study materials.

As for 3rd year, I guess I got the good rotation site. My experience is the opposite from OP's. Yeah, you have to find docs to take you for electives but there are a ton of sites already entered into our computer system so no legwork is required.

I would agree with you, 3rd year is site dependent. Just, in my opinion, some sites are not qualified whatsoever. In regards to board scores/grades, I agree as well that you can score well no matter where you go. That part is mostly dependent on how much time you are willing to put in. Which was why I never mentioned if you go to DCOM you will forfeit all opportunities to score well and match into a competitive specialty.

Best of luck man and glad rotations are going well!

I think "bad areas" is a relative term, and while you definitely want to be happy wherever you are, it's important to remember you are going to be studying most of the time anyway. Erie's cold and gross in the winter, but from what I understand, it has a decent downtown area and a Wegman's, so it's not the worst place in the world. Bradenton is full of old people, but it's not far from the beach. Kirksville is tiny, but on the other hand, people who like small towns would be miserable in Touro-NY, so "fit" is a factor too. Just make sure you have a safe place to live and opportunities for your spouse/significant other/kids to go to work and school and whatnot.

Some people think UNECOM is a nice locale too, I guess when the school is not covered in 3 feet of snow.

I remember from another thread that you only interviewed on the west side of the country; when did you research Erie motel prices and how would that affect you living there?

I think "bad areas" is a relative term, and while you definitely want to be happy wherever you are, it's important to remember you are going to be studying most of the time anyway. Erie's cold and gross in the winter, but from what I understand, it has a decent downtown area and a Wegman's, so it's not the worst place in the world. Bradenton is full of old people, but it's not far from the beach. Kirksville is tiny, but on the other hand, people who like small towns would be miserable in Touro-NY, so "fit" is a factor too. Just make sure you have a safe place to live and opportunities for your spouse/significant other/kids to go to work and school and whatnot.

I remember from another thread that you only interviewed on the west side of the country; when did you research Erie motel prices and how would that affect you living there?

I visited a friend in Erie but stayed in a motel while I was there because he had no space in his house. I visited in October of last year, even the TSA guy smirked when he saw I was flying to Erie PA. For a small town, motel prices were pretty steep, they were double that of motel prices near where live in Arizona.

Last edited:

Sorry, which one is DCOM? Are you talking about DMU?

Sorry, which one is DCOM? Are you talking about DMU?

DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, part of Lincoln Memorial University in TN. So it's known as LMU-DCOM

Ah I see. You did a good job on your step 1 score slim. I guess your COMLEX was high too?
>750. Not going AOA so it doesn't really matter. All I cared about was passing.

Holy hell, what did you make on your MCAT if you dont mind me asking?
Took it two times. 26K (BS 12, PS 7, VR 7) and 28K (BS 12, PS 9, VR 7) Got the second lowest score you can get on the essay, twice. And English isn't my second language, just a non-trad high school dropout that wanted to better himself.

Reactions: 3 users
Took it two times. 26K (BS 12, PS 7, VR 7) and 28K (BS 12, PS 9, VR 7) Got the second lowest score you can get on the essay, twice. And English isn't my second language, just a non-trad high school dropout that wanted to better himself.

Well a 28 isnt terrible ( I myself scored in the 27-29 range), but this is just another example of how after a 27+ on the MCAT, your MCAT score has very little correlation to your Board Scores.

@Shinobiz11 can you weigh in here? There have been two accounts created within the last two days both slamming DCOM so I'm curious if you've had the same experience or if my tingling troll senses are correct.

Only a 1st year, so nothing I say is important.

Regardless, this guy sounds bitter. It's obvious to tell the difference between these who do well on and those who don't, just by the way they criticize. It sounds very similar in this case.

Like others have pointed it, its all about you once you're in. The only time they hold your hand is to make sure you don't flunk out. I'm sure Goro can confirm that schools don't want their retention rate high. If you fail a class, you have to go to the student advising board and they suggest retaking it or redoing the year. If you fail again you're on thin ice and probably going to get kicked out. If you fail 3 classes, you're out, unless you make a really good case for it (divorce, illness, etc.). DCOM only allows you to be here for a maximum of 6 years, including clinical so if you fail twice, its obvious you're done. Maybe in the past they were a bit more lenient, but we've had a student handbook quiz and TBL on this, it's been hammered into our heads.

I know nothing of the rotation sites, but please don't lump all the students into the "couldn't make MD" category. There's some like me who didn't get in anywhere else(within reasonable timeline). There's some who chose it because it's 0-4 hours from their home. Regardless, we're all in medical school, so make the most of it. OP can say all they want, but in the end, they have to make the most out of that rotation. Don't tell me you didn't know what you were getting into.

Reactions: 2 users
your MCAT score has very little correlation to your Board Scores.

I just don't think you can make this statement haha you're going to tell me that the hundreds of med schools who have performed statistical analysis showing the MCAT and certain subsections are predictive of Step scores - schools that have integrated this into the very philosophy of their admissions process - are wrong? Nope. It is highly correlated with step performance. But, with all almost all correlations, it's not always black and white: there are people who don't do as well on the MCAT and ace the steps, and there are people that ace the MCAT and perform poorly on step.

I just don't think you can make this statement haha you're going to tell me that the hundreds of med schools who have performed statistical analysis showing the MCAT and certain subsections are predictive of Step scores - schools that have integrated this into the very philosophy of their admissions process - are wrong? Nope. It is highly correlated with step performance. But, with all almost all correlations, it's not always black and white: there are people who don't do as well on the MCAT and ace the steps, and there are people that ace the MCAT and perform poorly on step.

I guess I just happen to talk to every individual that scores "poorly" on the MCAT and destroys boards then.

Efle told me the correlation for it. .62 or .67... I cant remember which one he said.

Thats not super high either way.

I guess I just happen to talk to every individual that scores "poorly" on the MCAT and destroys boards then.
See, I would argue that, in the admissions process, many of students who get admitted who don't have a great MCAT have been selected based on other qualities that are also predictive of success. aka Selection Bias. I never said the MCAT is the only correlation to board scores.

See, I would argue that, in the admissions process, many of students who get admitted who don't have a great MCAT have been selected based on other qualities that are also predictive of success. aka Selection Bias. I never said the MCAT is the only predictor of success.

"great" MCAT is subjective too. Some adcoms think that a great MCAT for them is anything that is very close to their median school range or higher.

Others think a point or two lower or a point or two higher is indicative of a different type of student.

So much subjectivity. Also the MCAT itself is variable. Its a multiple choice test. Near the break point range (28-32), who knows how many people guess answers correctly to get into the next point range. I mean is there really a difference between someone who makes a 30 and someone who makes a 31?

Now the difference between someone with say a 29 and a 25 is very large. a 25 is 49 percentile on the test. a 29 is 73 percentile. 24 percentile is huge.

But then that is subjective as well. While most people would probably say that a 24 percentile is huge, there might be a few adcoms out there that say they are both equally bad because both people didnt hit the magical 30 MCAT mark.

Who knows what the logic is for each individual.