Christian country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are a Christian majority nation. If you are a true Christian, your actions and beliefs will be judged by God, not anyone else. How you relate Christianity and health care is up to you. Interpret this as you wish:

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

- Luke 12:48b (NIV)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm in Tennessee, thankfully leaving tomorrow, and I can tell you that there is a church on every corner. However as a shaman, I was never kicked out of the garden, have benevolent gods and don’t have to walk around worrying about being judged all the time…among many other positive benefits.

Spirituality rocks; Christianity…well, you know the history there. :thumbdown:

But, it's your choice.

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."

-Benjamin Franklin, "Poor Richard's Almanac," 1758

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution." - James Madison, 1785

"Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines and Oaths, and whole carloads of other trumpery that we find religion encumbered with in these days?" - John Adams

"As the Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries." - (Treaty of Tripoli, 1797 - signed by President John Adams.)

(Mehomitan = Muslim)

Can we get back to talking about medical stuff now?

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't care about your opinion. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We are a Christian majority nation. If you are a true Christian, your actions and beliefs will be judged by God, not anyone else. How you relate Christianity and health care is up to you. Interpret this as you wish:

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

- Luke 12:48b (NIV)

"I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change, yey
Na na na, na na na, na na na na oh ho"
- Michael Jackson

i love the responses in this thread :laugh:

(Mehomitan = Muslim)

Can we get back to talking about medical stuff now?

Yep, our founding fathers were quite clear, that religion, regardless of which one, had no place in the political realm.

"As to Jesus of Nazareth, my Opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the System of Morals and his Religion, as he left them to us, the best the world ever saw or is likely to see; but I apprehend it has received various corrupt changes, and I have, with most of the present Dissenters in England, some Doubts as to his divinity; tho' it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and I think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an Opportunity of knowing the Truth with less Trouble...Benjamin Franklin.

“Lighthouses are more helpful than churches.”

“He (the Rev. Mr. Whitefield) used, indeed, sometimes to pray for my conversion, but never had the satisfaction of believing that his prayers were heard.”

“I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies.”

“Some volumes against Deism fell into my hands. They were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle’s Lecture. It happened that they produced on me an effect precisely the reverse of what was intended by the writers; for the arguments of the Deists, which were cited in order to be refuted, appealed to me much more forcibly than the refutation itself. In a word, I soon became a thorough Deist.” Benjamin Franklin, from his autobiography

“Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause. I had hoped that liberal and enlightened thought would have reconciled the Christians so that their
[not our?] religious fights would not endanger the peace of Society.” George Washington Letter to Sir Edward Newenham, June 22, 1792

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity.” John Adams

“But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed.” John Adams, letters to family and other leaders 1735-1826

“Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites.” Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia

“The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.” Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

“In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people.”

“Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise.” James Madison, April 1, 1774