What is it about primary care that makes it attractive in other countries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonyfan08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need an answer for my paper, and haven't had much luck with google or databases.

Members don't see this ad.

There is relatively less financial incentive to assume the extra training, costs, and risks associated with longer training and riskier procedures.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is relatively less financial incentive to assume the extra training, costs, and risks associated with longer training and riskier procedures.

They focus on HEALTHcare instead of waiting until they need the latest nifty gadget procedure long after prevention and early management were possible.

What makes it attractive is 1) the ability to set your own hours and be mercenary - many financial opportunities for a GP if they decide to specialize in certain procedures or attach themselves to a facility like a nursing home 2) not stuck to a hospital (ie. not ever having to do call again) 3) the chance to practice at home . Many non-US people are very home-knit.

Family medicine seems to be fairly popular here in Canada. Most med schools have between 30-40% of the class going into family medicine and most of these people picked it as their first choice. Also, there is a strong emphasis on community health and rural medicine at Canadian med schools. For instance, most med schools here have a mandatory rural medicine experience at the end of M1 year. I don't know enough about the American medical system to know why primary care is considered so undesirable there, but perhaps people would care to elaborate?

Asking for the answer to write your paper is homework help and is not the purpose of SDN. Please see your professor, TA, and classmates for issues like these.

Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.