Christmas bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bronchospasm

Interventional Pain Physician
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to get an idea on how much everyone was giving their medical assistants.

Have 5 medical assistants.

Planning on giving
2 of them : $1250 who do fluoro
2 of them $750 mainly rooming and phone.
1 receptionist: $1000 front desk and some billing / collections.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give bonuses. Fosters an entitlement mentality. What's a gift today will be viewed as a right tomorrow.

We pay market rate & throw a nice employee appreciation party every year. Employee retention is greater than 90%.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Don't give bonuses. Fosters an entitlement mentality. What's a gift today will be viewed as a right tomorrow.

We pay market rate throw a nice employee appreciation party every year. Employee retention is greater than 90%.

Agreed. Same thing happened to us when we were giving bonuses to employees. Also, we didn’t give them out to new hires and this created some resentment among staff.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I give the equivalent of 2 weeks pay. If you were your employee would you rather have a bonus of cash or be obligated to attend a party with the same people you talk to every day and tire of by Friday? My retention is 100% of the people I want to keep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not their employer, but I give my staff $250 in appreciation. Seems small based on the numbers above, but that's actually a lot of money to someone making around $15-20/hour. Makes a difference at Christmastime.

agree that whatever you give now will be expected every year, if not more every year

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not their employer, but I give my staff $250 in appreciation. Seems small based on the numbers above, but that's actually a lot of money to someone making around $15-20/hour. Makes a difference at Christmastime.

I talked it over with some folks around me. Going rate is$1000 per employee would be a good number.

no more bonuses
no offsite parties or etoh - became a liability and HR headache. but can't really close clinic as it creates staffing and timecard issues. basically a lunchtime pot luck in office and give out starbucks gift cards and raffle a few bigger gift cards. possibly adding ugly sweater competition in place of raffle, will see what kind of HR complaints we get

Another year.....I think same topic was discussed last year. I gave OM $4500, MA around $3000....pregnant secretary/scheduler who is leaving in April $1500. I probably pay them below market rate. I give summer bonuses too. This year they received $500 more than last year for Christmas.

Anywhere from $750-1000 per full time employee. Have been doing this for the past 5 years. 90% employee retention.

10 lashes with wet noodle and a stocking of coal

Every year the cost of doing business goes up (taxes, fees, med staff dues, IPA dues, etc) and reimbursement is flat or declining. When someone gives me a bonus, I'll be happy to share it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Bah humbug.

Unfortunately, I'm not running a non-profit, tax-exempt, heavily Federally subsidized "charity" health care organization so I can't afford to be so generous. Absent a juicy SOS, favorable IRS tax treatment on my "non-profit" excess revenue, and 340b drug subsidies/rebates most of us are pinching all the pennies we can...

Are 'community benefit programs' enough to let nonprofit hospitals off the hook for taxes?

Little differentiates community benefit programs that are self-serving from those that truly benefit communities, said Paul Keckley, an industry consultant and managing editor of the Keckley Report. “It gets hazy when a hospital is screening someone for a joint replacement or Type 2 diabetes—is that marketing or community benefit?” Keckley said.
The difference is not lost on cash-starved communities that are eyeballing unrecouped property and sales taxes resulting from having a potentially cash-rich, not-for-profit hospital in their community.

Unfortunately, I'm not running a non-profit, tax-exempt, heavily Federally subsidized "charity" health care organization so I can't afford to be so generous. Absent a juicy SOS, favorable IRS tax treatment on my "non-profit" excess revenue, and 340b drug subsidies/rebates most of us are pinching all the pennies we can...

Are 'community benefit programs' enough to let nonprofit hospitals off the hook for taxes?

Little differentiates community benefit programs that are self-serving from those that truly benefit communities, said Paul Keckley, an industry consultant and managing editor of the Keckley Report. “It gets hazy when a hospital is screening someone for a joint replacement or Type 2 diabetes—is that marketing or community benefit?” Keckley said.
The difference is not lost on cash-starved communities that are eyeballing unrecouped property and sales taxes resulting from having a potentially cash-rich, not-for-profit hospital in their community.

Yup. Wish i was the mba running the hospital. But im a w2 so it comes out of my bank account and not the pretax or the hospital. Im just too nice.

I gave my nurse $600
In addition, we gave everyone company wide $125
Management and CEO get bigger ones.
Docs get nothing that would be considered a "holiday bonus," but at year end we give ourselves group stock options (if you deserve it), a tax distribution and an additional 1-2% 401K match (if there's extra cash to do it with + employees get too).

But it's 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. Decide what you're going to pay people for a year. If you want to lower the year round pay a fraction and give the difference in a cash "bonus" at year end, or a party, then it's up to you. Some people feel there's a little psychological boot and motivational persuasion by retaining a little extra and giving it as a "bonus," but it's semantics, if you think about it. But I also see the "entitlement" angle also, as once you start giving a year end bonus, you better plan on doing it every year, or you will erase any psychological boost you produced by giving it, the year you "take it away." I don't think these things make that much difference in retention, but they do a little. It's a combination of many factors, the overall work environment, and personal factors that also affect whether people stay or go.

Do what makes you feel right.

Reactions: 1 users

since im going to have to pay the IRS roughly $10,000 extra, because of the "big beautiful Christmas present" tax cuts, the staff will not be getting the roughly $300/person gifts I gave them last year...

Herpes. I gave it to all of them. Retention of their gift was 100%.

I give $500 to my 1099 employee. For a few years it was a gift, a Vitamix one year. This lady is a life saver and goes over and above.

I add this to my tax liability, not sure if that's correct. So employee pays taxes on the money.

since im going to have to pay the IRS roughly $10,000 extra, because of the "big beautiful Christmas present" tax cuts, the staff will not be getting the roughly $300/person gifts I gave them last year...
NY, CA or NJ?

Thanks for the response.
Only one of my employee needs health insurance. Everyone else is covered by their spouse. I can justify giving them a higher bonus and 10% of their salary in their retirement account because of this.