The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I don't know about chocolates. It depends on the doctor as to whether that would seem weird. A nice card would certainly be appropriate and thoughtful. Send a card for sure.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Wine, good coffee beans, gourmet quality food product that might be a treat he wouldn' buy for himself. But the greatest gift for the person who has everything, is a heartfelt letter thanking them for what they've done for you and expressing how much it means to you and how grateful you are for their assistance.

Reactions: WashUDad

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
But the greatest gift for the person who has everything, is a heartfelt letter thanking them for what they've done for you and expressing how much it means to you and how grateful you are for their assistance.
Absolutely agree. And add to your possibilities list a Starbuck's card.

Reactions: LizzyM

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
I get a lot of chocolate. Love it. Especially with a nice note.
Have you seen the recent paper in the British Medical Journal. "Survival Time of Chocolates on Hospital Wards"? Exceptional scholarship ;)

Reactions: BlueLabel

Avoid gift cards. It's tacky and not thoughtful. Anything food related is a great idea. Just don't give wine if u r underaged lol

Reactions: WashUDad

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Avoid gift cards. It's tacky and not thoughtful. Anything food related is a great idea. Just don't give wine if u r underaged lol
100% agreed. I posted a rant elsewhere about how I think gift cards are a weak gift.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Have you seen the recent paper in the British Medical Journal. "Survival Time of Chocolates on Hospital Wards"? Exceptional scholarship ;)
Absolutely! Chocolate really is the coin of the realm at nurse's stations both here and abroad. More study definitely indicated.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
I agree that a thoughtful card expressing your thankfulness is more than enough.

If you want to give something more that is up to you but I would be careful about some things. For example every year I am inundated with wine and I frankly probably drink less than a bottle per year . It ends up either being regifted or sitting on my shelf for ages. So know your audience.

Reactions: LizzyM

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
I agree that a thoughtful card expressing your thankfulness is more than enough.

If you want to give something more that is up to you but I would be careful about some things. For example every year I am inundated with wine and I frankly probably drink less than a bottle per year . It ends up either being regifted or sitting on my shelf for ages. So know your audience.
"Every year I am inundated with wine"

That sounds like a deluge I would not mind being caught in

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
"Every year I am inundated with wine"

That sounds like a deluge I would not mind being caught in
LOL... I also get a deluge of Starbucks cards and I don't drink coffee either. So come on over, there's plenty to drink at my house!

(lest it sound like I am a teetotaler please do not misunderstand: I'm more of a cocktail and hot tea sort of gal than wine and coffee.)

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
LOL... I also get a deluge of Starbucks cards and I don't drink coffee either. So come on over, there's plenty to drink at my house!

(lest it sound like I am a teetotaler please do not misunderstand: I'm more of a cocktail and hot tea sort of gal than wine and coffee.)
This post makes me really happy

Relevant: I'm currently drinking a gimlet

Reactions: Winged Scapula