Medical Birthday/Christmas Gifts

Started by 787593
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

7

787593

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else received medical gifts from friends/family? Do schools provide most of the equipment we need? Should I ask "Santa" for an otoscope, ophthalmoscope, etc.? LOL

~ Asking because my Aunt gave me a stethoscope (Littmann Master Cardiology, is this a good one for a medical student?)
 
Has anyone else received medical gifts from friends/family? Do schools provide most of the equipment we need? Should I ask "Santa" for an otoscope, ophthalmoscope, etc.? LOL

~ Asking because my Aunt gave me a stethoscope (Littmann Master Cardiology, is this a good one for a medical student?)
I believe littman cardiology is the gold standard. According to the nurses at where I work anyways.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe littman cardiology is the gold standard. According to the nurses at where I work anyways.

I bought a Littmann for my brother when he got into medical school and gave it as a Christmas present.

Do not buy an otoscope or an opthalmoscope. Do not ask someone to buy one for you either, waste of money for the vast majority of students.
 
Thanks!!
I bought a Littmann for my brother when he got into medical school and gave it as a Christmas present.

Do not buy an otoscope or an opthalmoscope. Do not ask someone to buy one for you either, waste of money for the vast majority of students.
 
I'm particularly fond of these:

female_pelvis_purple_tie-r1387caa9cad349d7b6b01600ae856872_z5nrg_324.jpg


kidney_2_drawing_tie-r9ad9b5d3ff0c4253bd136e00dabae14b_6tei7_324.jpg

 
I got a stethoscope from my mom the Christmas after I got accepted to Med school. It is now not working, so I'm asking for another this year.

My friend got me a necklace of resveratrol, one of the aromatic compounds in red wine. Geeky and I love it 🙂
 
I got a stethoscope (Littmann Classic III) for Christmas the year I got into med school. That's probably the only universally useful strictly medical thing you can get, even if you get a free stethoscope from your school.
 
I got a stethoscope from my mom as a college graduation gift (and was matriculating that fall). Still somewhat works, still using it, but getting a new one soon.

My med school required us to buy an oto/ophthalmoscope but many people shared theirs with each other or bought them off upperclassmen. Definitely not something I'd buy pre-matriculation as you don't know what's required or given to you.
 
I got a stethoscope from my older brother who is a doctor for my college graduation present last summer. This was before the application process had begun and I was terrified that he had jinxed me and it was a death sentence for my application. Luckily that wasn't the case, lol.