Citation in Secondary essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm writing a secondary essay that specifically asks us to discuss "public health lessons and health care insights learned from the pandemic". I'm planning on referencing the CDC's findings on the disproportionate COVID-19 impact on racial and ethnic minority communities. Does this need a citation to the specific source I'm discussing?

I recognize a secondary essay isn't exactly a formal paper/publication, but we've always been trained to cite our sources, even in simple undergrad homework assignments. This is only a 200-300 word secondary, so a citation would eat up a lot of characters.
This prompt sounds like it's asking YOU what YOU have learned about the COVID crisis, and not an review article on COVID itself. Tread carefully.