Citation in Secondary essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confuzzledpenguin

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm writing a secondary essay that specifically asks us to discuss "public health lessons and health care insights learned from the pandemic". I'm planning on referencing the CDC's findings on the disproportionate COVID-19 impact on racial and ethnic minority communities. Does this need a citation to the specific source I'm discussing?

I recognize a secondary essay isn't exactly a formal paper/publication, but we've always been trained to cite our sources, even in simple undergrad homework assignments. This is only a 200-300 word secondary, so a citation would eat up a lot of characters.
This prompt sounds like it's asking YOU what YOU have learned about the COVID crisis, and not an review article on COVID itself. Tread carefully.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that you can say, "it has been widely reported that.... and this leads me to reflect on...." It need not include a citation if it is widely reported and more or less common knowledge.