Jul 7, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm writing a secondary essay that specifically asks us to discuss "public health lessons and health care insights learned from the pandemic". I'm planning on referencing the CDC's findings on the disproportionate COVID-19 impact on racial and ethnic minority communities. Does this need a citation to the specific source I'm discussing?

I recognize a secondary essay isn't exactly a formal paper/publication, but we've always been trained to cite our sources, even in simple undergrad homework assignments. This is only a 200-300 word secondary, so a citation would eat up a lot of characters.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student
I'm writing a secondary essay that specifically asks us to discuss "public health lessons and health care insights learned from the pandemic". I'm planning on referencing the CDC's findings on the disproportionate COVID-19 impact on racial and ethnic minority communities. Does this need a citation to the specific source I'm discussing?

I recognize a secondary essay isn't exactly a formal paper/publication, but we've always been trained to cite our sources, even in simple undergrad homework assignments. This is only a 200-300 word secondary, so a citation would eat up a lot of characters.
This prompt sounds like it's asking YOU what YOU have learned about the COVID crisis, and not an review article on COVID itself. Tread carefully.

Reactions: 1 user

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status
  1. Academic Administration
I think that you can say, "it has been widely reported that.... and this leads me to reflect on...." It need not include a citation if it is widely reported and more or less common knowledge.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads