Citizenship Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ballew21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to apply to Optometry School & Medical school for the upcoming school year in both the U.S. & Canada and I have dual citizenship (father-Canadian & mother-American), or I thought as much. In contacting Canadian schools to for application information, I was told that, in order to be considered a resident, I would have to re-establish Canadian citizenship because I attended school in the states, and in doing so, I terminated my Canadian citizenship. I have always thought that at age 18 or 21 (I can't remember which), you had to choose one over the other, but I have not signed paperwork renouncing anything to the sort. This sounded kind of strange to me and I was wondering if anyone else had this sort of problem. Any info provided would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nick

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have both US and Canadian passports? I know that the US allows dual citizenship but that some countries do not.....You may want to talk with an immigration attorney just to make sure of what your situation is...

Kris

Actually, strictly speaking, the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, what it does is tolerate it. It is a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of deal.

The only people I know who, however, who can run into trouble by having dual citizenship in the US are applicants to the US Military Academies. You cannot apply if you have dual citizenship as "dual citizenship" is not recognized by the State Dept.