civ deferment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

met19

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

My civ deferment for EM residency ends next June. When do I find out where I will be stationed?

Also if my goals are academics- is it possible to be placed at a military residency?

Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in your same situation 2 years ago. I heard from the specialty leader in January. We sent a couple of emails back and forth and worked it out where I would be stationed. In regards to academics, I would suspect your chances are slim. Since you are FTOS (Full Time Out Service), nobody in Navy EM knows you. You may be considered, but if you're not an all-star from an all-star program, I doubt it.
The transition from real-life, civilian medicine to military medicine will be a major adjustment. Lower your expectations please. Good luck.

Hi all-

My civ deferment for EM residency ends next June. When do I find out where I will be stationed?

Also if my goals are academics- is it possible to be placed at a military residency?

Thanks for all your help.

Contact the specialty leader- andrew.johnson at med dot navy dot mil

He's very nice and approachable. Believe what he tells you. A residency position is certainly possible. I got a position at a navy EM residency straight out of civilian deferment and I wasn't even in the Navy.