Army Civilian Deferment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MY question is this... I'm currently a GMO applying for residency. On my list of locations to apply for residency a civilian program is #1. I know I'll have ADSO after I'm done with residency but during residency who pays me would it be the civilian program or doest the army pay pay me?

Members don't see this ad.

So if I match at the Augusta EM program then I stop getting paid by the army and the Augusta hospital picks up the tab?

If that's the case then since I have already completed 2 years of my HPSP payback would I then have only 2 years of payback following residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I match at the Augusta EM program then I stop getting paid by the army and the Augusta hospital picks up the tab?

If that's the case then since I have already completed 2 years of my HPSP payback would I then have only 2 years of payback following residency?

The GRU programs are different than a deferment. You are still on active duty, with all of the benefits and trappings of it. I have no idea how closely they track the administrative stuff (e.g. APEQS, APFT) for the AD residents at GRU, but with Ft. Gordon right next door, I wouldn't be surprised if you're required to do everything just as if you were working at EAMC.

If you really are on a deferment, the civilian institutional have to pay for your salary and benefits. You will not incur any additional time toward your active-duty service obligation.