Slevin

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MY question is this... I'm currently a GMO applying for residency. On my list of locations to apply for residency a civilian program is #1. I know I'll have ADSO after I'm done with residency but during residency who pays me would it be the civilian program or doest the army pay pay me?

backrow

60% of the time it works everytime
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
In deferment you are paid by the residency program.

OP
S

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So if I match at the Augusta EM program then I stop getting paid by the army and the Augusta hospital picks up the tab?

If that's the case then since I have already completed 2 years of my HPSP payback would I then have only 2 years of payback following residency?

colbgw02

Delightfully Tacky
10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
By the guy with the thing at the place
Status
Attending Physician
So if I match at the Augusta EM program then I stop getting paid by the army and the Augusta hospital picks up the tab?

If that's the case then since I have already completed 2 years of my HPSP payback would I then have only 2 years of payback following residency?
The GRU programs are different than a deferment. You are still on active duty, with all of the benefits and trappings of it. I have no idea how closely they track the administrative stuff (e.g. APEQS, APFT) for the AD residents at GRU, but with Ft. Gordon right next door, I wouldn't be surprised if you're required to do everything just as if you were working at EAMC.

deuist

Stealthfully Sarcastic
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
If you really are on a deferment, the civilian institutional have to pay for your salary and benefits. You will not incur any additional time toward your active-duty service obligation.