Claim AP English credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b-real

What, me worry?
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been wondering about something for awhile now. I took the AP Lang and Lit tests in HS (Got a 5 and 4, respectively). Now, I'll be a sophomore at UT Austin, b/c of my prior AP credits. I have claimed the 5 to get an A in first semester English (Rhetoric 306). The only question now is whether or not to take the B (4 on Lit) or just the credit for English 316K (second semester English). If I take just the credit, would med schools, esp. UT System schools, allow this? I really don't want to take a B, b/c I'm pretty sure I'll be getting my fair share of those throughout college.

I know that all med schools have their own requirements, but I'm asking those of you with experiences similar to mine to share. So if you can, just throw in your thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS only lets you list AP credits as supplemental units and doesn't figure them into your GPA. I don't know what the individual schools do with it, as my school just gave me credit and not a grade. Most schools say that if you pass out of a required pre-med class, you must substitute another class at the same or higher level.

Hold on - how does it show up on your transcript? If it shows up as AP then you should list it as AP. If it shows up as Rhetoric 306, A, 3 semester credits or whatever, then put it down as that. I'm amazed that UT actually gives you not only credit (that's not unusual) but also a *grade* for AP classes.

The AP credit would show up as "Rhetoric 306 -- A" or something like that. It doesn't indicate the credit as AP. But, do med schools think of CR the same way they would an actual letter grade?