Claiming 2 state residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wordead

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I imagine a good number of people are in my situation. I'm from state X, where my parents live. I will be applying as a resident for the local medical school.

However, I have been away in another state for the last 4 years for undergrad and will be working there for a year. Is it unethical/illegal/etc to apply as a resident of both states?

I'm not trying to cheat the system, but while I love my home state and would love to return there I also have love for the state Im in now. And being here for 5 years should make me a resident as well, right? Especially since I paid/will pay taxes.

Members don't see this ad.

it's all or none. You're generally a resident of where you pay taxes. If your parents claim you as a dependent, you're a resident of their state.

if you're financially independent, and pay resident taxes to X state, you're a resident of that state for application purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm being considered a resident of 2 states for application purposes, but it's with 2 applications: TMDSAS and AMCAS.

a lot of schools won't consider you a resident of a state if you're in that state just for education.

it's all or none. You're generally a resident of where you pay taxes. If your parents claim you as a dependent, you're a resident of their state.

if you're financially independent, and pay resident taxes to X state, you're a resident of that state for application purposes.

There are a variety of indicia of residency, ranging from where you pay taxes, where you own property, where you rent property, where you registered to vote, where you hold a drivers license and so on. You have to follow each state's rules for residency, which aren't all the same. For some states, living in the state solely for the purposes of attending school won't count as residency. There are many many cases where folks don't qualify for any in-state benefits. But yeah, as folks have indicated you can only be resident of one state.

Right now im considered a resident of 2 states. My parents moved to another state right when i went out of state for school. So i have talked to admission at both states both my where im from and where my parents moved to. In state at both. However, the state i go to school in i dont have residency. Lots of rules and i bet all states are different. The medical school i talked to where i grew up said i would have to submit a petition, but i went to high school there and he said it should be no problem. I believe him because hes the one that decides. Anyways good luck

AMCAS lets you list all your addresses then asks point blank: "Where is your legal residence?"

You get to list exactly 1 county/location in this slot.

Although you may be able to later be considered a resident for tuition purposes, I would imagine that this entry determines your residency for application purposes.

After talking with the guy that determines residency and all that good stuff for admissions, Im pretty sure that i would be considered a resident when it comes to acceptance as well, not just tuition. I may only get to choose one spot on AMCAS but i am only worried about what the medical school considers me, not AMCAS.

Good for you, Monster.

This is very state-specific. I was trying to point out that you are allowed to only claim 1 legal residence on the AMCAS, and should probably be cautious about assumptions regarding multiple residencies.

Although I can't possibly know, I would imagine that schools who pre-screen go off of what is on AMCAS. Some of the more xenophobic state schools may throw your app in the trash before you are allowed to plead your case. As always, call the school if your not sure.

I've addressed this issue several times over the past 7-8 years. You can only have one legal residence. We lawyers call this domicile. The requirement for establishing domicile is physical presence in a state with the intent to remain there indefinitely. Obviously, this is an easy standard to meet. That being said, states are allowed to consider you a non-resident for application and tuition purposes even if you have in-state domicile. Typically, the admissions office and/or financial aid office makes this determination based on statutory or regulatory guidance. Law2Doc mentioned several of the factors that are often factored into the decision.

As some have noted, for admission and tuition purposes, you can actually be in-state nowhere. Consider, for example, that you live in New York growing up and going to college. You graduate and then get a job in Massachusetts. You live there and pay taxes there. You are now a legal resident of Massachusetts (even if you illegally continue to have your car and driver's license from New York). If you apply to UMASS for grad school, you will not qualify as in state, because Massachusetts has a 5-year waiting period for in-state tuition IIRC. Also, you are no longer a resident of New York because you moved away. You are hosed in this situation.

The important thing here is that the school makes the determination. Some can be quite generous so it's worth calling them and asking. However, you always have exactly one legal residence/domicile.