Class advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyt2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a general science major that had just graduated a few days ago. I just got my final grades back and noticed that I failed Microbiology with a D. Would Optometry schools accept if I retake the course at a community college since I am not able to retake it at my university?

Small additional question: I have not taken the OATs or participated in any shadowing yet, how much shadowing should I do and what is a good score for a student with a GPA of 3.2?

Thank you so much for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

You should try and take the class at your university because it will replace your grade completely. If you take it at a different school the grades will only average and it will only increase your gpa slightly. With that said you can definitely take the class somewhere else.
You should aim for a 320 or higher in your OAT and you should shadow enough to get a letter of recommendation.
Good luck!

You should try and take the class at your university because it will replace your grade completely. If you take it at a different school the grades will only average and it will only increase your gpa slightly. With that said you can definitely take the class somewhere else.
You should aim for a 320 or higher in your OAT and you should shadow enough to get a letter of recommendation.
Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice! I was in a panic but you have definitely been a big help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck!

I'm actually not quite sure if that's fully accurate. The school I attended only averaged the two grades- and if that's the case for your school I'd actually advise you to take it at a community college so you can save the money and to be honest- it'll probably be easier.

Sorry, I meant as far as the Optomcas GPA calculations. If you take it at the same school, optomcas will replace it outright, if you take it elsewhere they average it.
You are correct that the school will only average your grades.

Sorry, I meant as far as the Optomcas GPA calculations. If you take it at the same school, optomcas will replace it outright, if you take it elsewhere they average it.
You are correct that the school will only average your grades.

Oh wow I really didn't know that. That's good to know lol!