Quantcast

Class of 2010 UERMMMC

Application is now open for MD & PhD 2022 Intake
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n8ture

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,
I'm starting this thread for anyone who's planning on starting med school at UE this June.. or if you're currently at UE/alum, do you have any advice on specific things that I should bring with me or definitely leave behind? Thanks for your help. I look forward to meeting you in a month or so.
 

cm28

New Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hey n8ture,
I'm also an incoming fil-am at UERM too. I'm actually already here in the PI. I just brought my clothes and laptop. I got everything else here. See you soon.
 

DocTan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
n8ture said:
Hi everyone,
I'm starting this thread for anyone who's planning on starting med school at UE this June.. or if you're currently at UE/alum, do you have any advice on specific things that I should bring with me or definitely leave behind? Thanks for your help. I look forward to meeting you in a month or so.

Hi. I am a recent graduate of UERMMMC. I will be in the PI until may 23rd. PM if you need any help.
 

n8ture

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
DocTan said:
Hi. I am a recent graduate of UERMMMC. I will be in the PI until may 23rd. PM if you need any help.

Thanks for all your help!
 

tantrum

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
DocTan said:
Hi. I am a recent graduate of UERMMMC. I will be in the PI until may 23rd. PM if you need any help.

I have a few questions for my Fil-Am relatives who might go for Medicine in UERM. You have indicated the approximate expenses of doing your clerkship in the US in a previous thread. What are the hospitals affiliated with UERM where you can do rotations and do you have to arrange this yourself or did you get any help from UERM? Also what are the only rotations you absolutely have to do in the Philippines?
 

DocTan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
tantrum said:
I have a few questions for my Fil-Am relatives who might go for Medicine in UERM. You have indicated the approximate expenses of doing your clerkship in the US in a previous thread. What are the hospitals affiliated with UERM where you can do rotations and do you have to arrange this yourself or did you get any help from UERM? Also what are the only rotations you absolutely have to do in the Philippines?

Hi Tantrum. UERM has affiliations with two programs right now. All the student has to do is email/call the coordinator at the respective hospitals and arrange the rotations and dates in which the student wants to attend the hospital. Once a spot is found for the student all they have to do is pay the fees to UERM and they can rotate in the states (UERM takes care of paying the hospitals). The two rotation spots are at St. John's Epsicopal, Far Rockaway, NY and Jackson Park in Chicago. All rotations can be done in the States except for community medicine which most be done at UERM (ie 11 out 12 months of junior-internship in the US). However, electives such as ophtha/ENT are not currently available at the two hospitals sites. So you might end up doing only 10 out 12 months in the states.
 

n8ture

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hey DocTan.. when you said there are only 2 programs for US rotations through UE.. did you mean then that Mt. Sinai is no longer offering rotations?
 

DocTan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
n8ture said:
Hey DocTan.. when you said there are only 2 programs for US rotations through UE.. did you mean then that Mt. Sinai is no longer offering rotations?

As of now. I don't know of any Junior-Interns who will be attending Mt. Sinai. My batchmates were allowed to rotate over at Sinai because we were able to get the affliation agreement signed for each individual who was accepted to rotations at Sinai. This was a special agreement from our dean, but it was not a formal affliation established between the two schools. However, that does not mean that you cannot go to Sinai it just means that you have to have it approved by the administration beforehand. I think the question of tantrum was which hospitals are affliations of UERM (ie they are viewed as extensions of the UERM) and no special agreements have to be arranged in order to rotate at the hospital. Those two hospitals are St. Johns and Jackson Park. Hope that answers your question.
 

hnerypaoho

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
DocTan said:
As of now. I don't know of any Junior-Interns who will be attending Mt. Sinai. My batchmates were allowed to rotate over at Sinai because we were able to get the affliation agreement signed for each individual who was accepted to rotations at Sinai. This was a special agreement from our dean, but it was not a formal affliation established between the two schools. However, that does not mean that you cannot go to Sinai it just means that you have to have it approved by the administration beforehand. I think the question of tantrum was which hospitals are affliations of UERM (ie they are viewed as extensions of the UERM) and no special agreements have to be arranged in order to rotate at the hospital. Those two hospitals are St. Johns and Jackson Park. Hope that answers your question.

-any chances that feu-nrmf students can rotate in the states during their clerkship?
 

DocTan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
hnerypaoho said:
-any chances that feu-nrmf students can rotate in the states during their clerkship?

Hi Henry. I think you have to ask you deans office or your clerkship coordinator if it is possible to rotate in the states to get some US clinical experience. If they approve it, then I am sure you can apply to programs in the States under "visiting foreign student". It may take alittle more work, but I think it is possible. If you are a US citizen/GC holder it is alittle easier because of you have no visa issues, but J-1 visa are given out to students.
 

tantrum

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
hnerypaoho said:
-any chances that feu-nrmf students can rotate in the states during their clerkship?
I think an FEU alumnus, SpartanDoc, did a 1-2 months rotation in Peninsula Hospital in NY (Internal Medicine). Some of his batchmates did more (up to 10 months) but he was quite sure that he is going for Internal Medicine for residency that's why he only did the specialty he is interested in. The object in having US clinical experience is to do well enough to get a US LOR from an attending there (important for residency matching).
 

tantrum

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
BTW, congratulations again to DocTan for his match in Categorical Surgery in Temple. I heard it's brutal this year for foreign grads trying to match in General Surgery and even good Caribbean graduates (SGU and Ross) got mostly Preliminary positions.
 

DocTan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
tantrum said:
BTW, congratulations again to DocTan for his match in Categorical Surgery in Temple. I heard it's brutal this year for foreign grads trying to match in General Surgery and even good Caribbean graduates (SGU and Ross) got mostly Preliminary positions.

Thanks tantrum! I am one lucky person. Everyone on this forum...don't give up...we Filipino-American Doctors can make it. (correction all of us Filipino Doctors can make it). Just keep working hard!
 

Jints

New Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'll also be attending UE this upcoming June and i'm looking forward to meeting you all. I'm a filipino american who recently graduated from Rutgers University. Just wondering if I'll be neighbors with anyone in this forum living in Robbinsdale. When I made arrangements there they said that 5 foreign med students are planning to live there. If not, where are u guys gonna be staying this sem?
 

tantrum

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
May 30, 2005
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
DocTan said:
Thanks tantrum! I am one lucky person. Everyone on this forum...don't give up...we Filipino-American Doctors can make it. (correction all of us Filipino Doctors can make it). Just keep working hard!
Just one more question.. Is it true that if you do more than 12 weeks rotation in the US that you cannot be licensed in NY?
 

DocTan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
tantrum said:
Just one more question.. Is it true that if you do more than 12 weeks rotation in the US that you cannot be licensed in NY?

That is false. NY has some of the most lenient medical state laws. You can check out each state requirement at fsmb.org. Now, I do know in California that if you do more than 12 weeks of non-ACGME accredited rotations you may have problems with obtaining a state license. Other states may also have this rule. You just have to make sure you rotate at a "green book" hospital aka ACGME accredited hospital. With that said, UERM does not list down where you completed your rotations. That means in the eyes of state medical licensing boards, you finished all your rotations at your home school. The reason why UERM does this is because, the CHED can only certify rotations done at affliated hospitals to the medical center. That is why UERM needs affliation agreements with the hospitals in the States so the rotations can be valid to the CHED (philippine education committee). Therefore, UERM can put on the transcript that the student attend the UERM hospital or one of its affliates. So in short, rotations in the states no matter what length will not discredit you from getting a state medical license in NY. I hope that clarifies things.
 

pavlicvs

PAVLICVS
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
n8ture said:
Hi everyone,
I'm starting this thread for anyone who's planning on starting med school at UE this June.. or if you're currently at UE/alum, do you have any advice on specific things that I should bring with me or definitely leave behind? Thanks for your help. I look forward to meeting you in a month or so.
Hi everyone,
I'm also a Fil-Am starting at UE in June 2006...though I've been in Manila since January to get adjusted. I just wanted to get in touch with anyone who is already in town (bothe locals and Fil-Ams).

E-mail: [email protected]
Cell: 0916 748 9901

Let me know if you're a Fil-Am who is new to the area and you have some questions. Having been here since January I've gotten a pretty good feel for the place. Give me a buzz and we can go out for coffee...especially if your last name starts with an "S" or so because we'll probably be group mates (according to last name).

Best,
Paul Sinnaco
 

DocTan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
pavlicvs said:
Hi everyone,
I'm also a Fil-Am starting at UE in June 2006...though I've been in Manila since January to get adjusted. I just wanted to get in touch with anyone who is already in town (bothe locals and Fil-Ams).

E-mail: [email protected]
Cell: 0916 748 9901

Let me know if you're a Fil-Am who is new to the area and you have some questions. Having been here since January I've gotten a pretty good feel for the place. Give me a buzz and we can go out for coffee...especially if your last name starts with an "S" or so because we'll probably be group mates (according to last name).

Best,
Paul Sinnaco

Hi Paul! Welcome to UERMMMC. Good Luck this coming year! I just graduated this year. If you have any questions regarding UERM just PM me.
 

phlipsquad

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
163
Reaction score
0
pavlicvs said:
Hi everyone,
I'm also a Fil-Am starting at UE in June 2006...though I've been in Manila since January to get adjusted. I just wanted to get in touch with anyone who is already in town (bothe locals and Fil-Ams).

E-mail: [email protected]
Cell: 0916 748 9901

Let me know if you're a Fil-Am who is new to the area and you have some questions. Having been here since January I've gotten a pretty good feel for the place. Give me a buzz and we can go out for coffee...especially if your last name starts with an "S" or so because we'll probably be group mates (according to last name).

Best,
Paul Sinnaco

Hey Paul. I am just a little curious? How many Fil-Ams are there in UE this year? I got accepted there last year and the registrar told me only one that year and i would make the second. It did not seem like they had a decent bunch of fil-ams there. Anyway, I decided to go to UST instead. There were about 9-11 fil-ams in my year.

Good Luck in 1st year! Study hard but party harder! hehe. No interchange the latter.
 

pavlicvs

PAVLICVS
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
phlipsquad said:
Hey Paul. I am just a little curious? How many Fil-Ams are there in UE this year? I got accepted there last year and the registrar told me only one that year and i would make the second. It did not seem like they had a decent bunch of fil-ams there. Anyway, I decided to go to UST instead. There were about 9-11 fil-ams in my year.

Good Luck in 1st year! Study hard but party harder! hehe. No interchange the latter.

Hey phlipsquad,
I'm not too sure how many Fil-Ams there were this year. I do remember the registrar saying that I was the 20th (or so) "foreigner" applying. I don't know how many of the foreigners are American. I have gone to some events with my cousin (an American in his 4th year) and seems to be lots of Fil-Ams in their 2nd and 3rd years.

However, my decision wasn't based on the number of American applicants but because UE has 4th year rotations in New York/Chicago.

Also, it's important for me to get to know the foreigners and and locals alike since I'll need my local batchmates to help in a lot of translating when we take patient history (my Tagalog sucks).

But, hey, how do you like UST?
 

cm28

New Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,

When I last spoke to Ms. Reyes, she said 15 fil-ams have reserved spots for this incoming 1st yr batch. That number could be different now since I spoke to her a while ago.

I agree with Paul. The number of fil-ams attending a school is inconsequential. I would still choose UERM even if I was the only fil-am in my batch. Doing 10 of the 12 months of clerkship in the states will give you a chance to get US letters of rec which in turn should help your US residency app. UST will only let you do 3 months of elective rotations away. Med, surg, pedia, ob/gyne, and comm med must be complete in the PI.

By the way, I got your email Paul. We should wait a few days before we hang out so Jints can come with us. He's arriving sometime this coming week.
 

phlipsquad

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
163
Reaction score
0
cm28 said:
Hey guys,

When I last spoke to Ms. Reyes, she said 15 fil-ams have reserved spots for this incoming 1st yr batch. That number could be different now since I spoke to her a while ago.

I agree with Paul. The number of fil-ams attending a school is inconsequential. I would still choose UERM even if I was the only fil-am in my batch. Doing 10 of the 12 months of clerkship in the states will give you a chance to get US letters of rec which in turn should help your US residency app. UST will only let you do 3 months of elective rotations away. Med, surg, pedia, ob/gyne, and comm med must be complete in the PI.

By the way, I got your email Paul. We should wait a few days before we hang out so Jints can come with us. He's arriving sometime this coming week.

Hey..
Well based on my experience, your fellow fil-ams can help you adjust to living in the phils. I mean, most of my friends (who are fil-ams do not speak the language) and being a foreigner, it honestly feels like you are out of place sometimes. I am not saying the locals are mean or unwelcoming. Actually, they are very nice and stuff. Nevertheless, most would rather just speak in tagalog, and you feel left out sometimes when they do....and i am fluent in tagalog..but was raised in the states. I guess culture comes into consideration. Trust me.. you might be excited now... and it is exciting for the first few months. Then months go by and u realize you are in a foreign country. the pollution starts to hit you, the traffic, missing home, friends, etc, and the earliest you can go home is october. Being with the fil-ams make you feel like you are at home...since you guys understand each other. There were a few times that we would tell each other wow...im sick of being here...miss home etc. BUT. You will adjust in time. So, i think having tight fil-am friends will definitely help.ITs definitely a plus!
 

phlipsquad

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
163
Reaction score
0
pavlicvs said:
Hey phlipsquad,
I'm not too sure how many Fil-Ams there were this year. I do remember the registrar saying that I was the 20th (or so) "foreigner" applying. I don't know how many of the foreigners are American. I have gone to some events with my cousin (an American in his 4th year) and seems to be lots of Fil-Ams in their 2nd and 3rd years.

However, my decision wasn't based on the number of American applicants but because UE has 4th year rotations in New York/Chicago.

Also, it's important for me to get to know the foreigners and and locals alike since I'll need my local batchmates to help in a lot of translating when we take patient history (my Tagalog sucks).

But, hey, how do you like UST?

hey, I might have sounded a little negative in the previous post. I am not saying that the phils sucks or anything. Its actually a great place! Your money goes a long way! Im just letting you guys know that if you havent really lived in the phils... adjustment can be a little hard. Well..maybe its me but most of my friends were homesick at one point in time . Despite that, you guys will have a great time there. New experiences, different lifestyles, etc.

hey paul. I do like my school. UST is nice. I think i learned alot this year. Med is DEFINITELY NOT a joke! I was a deans lister in college in the states (BS Biology) and i was barely passing med! Shi* Well.. Just one advice to you freshmen. DO NOT get discouraged if you get bad grades in your first semester (Most will). Its an adjustment period! Your grades will go up once you get used to the system. Best of luck class 2010!
 

pavlicvs

PAVLICVS
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
No worries...I didn't take your comment as being negative. You were writing from a place of honest experience...No gruff bro...I'm glad you like UST and have adjusted to living here.

I agree that the Philippines is different. I think studying here or anywhere else in the world (for that matter) is an enriching experience. I love living abroad...and naturally, living abroad always takes an adjustment period.

I lived in New York City (in an unrenovated flat with old pipes) before I moved out here. It was crowded, dirty, and really humid in the summer. We would always say the streets of Manhattan smelled like "hot garbage". Living in Manila isn't really much different except for the fact that the cost of living here is way way less than New York (thank God). I love it here!

Studying medicine in the Philippines is great because as Fil-Ams we get to experience a bit of our ethnic heritage, we get to learn/improve the Tagalog language, we have the enriching experience of living abroad...not to mention we aren't going to be paying for med-school out of our PWETs like our American colleagues...the cost of mal-practice insurance in the States is enough reason to want to save money.

The way I see it...in an age of globalization, EVERYTHING is made somewhere else...especially East Asia (even doctors). Shoots, lots of the nurses in the States are made here in the Philippines aren't they?

As far as med-school at UE goes...It's a great school. Many of the faculty and staff (including the dean of the med-school) at St. Lukes are all UE graduates. St. Lukes, as a hospital, is known to be better than 80% of the hospitals in the United States because of its facilities and talent. It really puts things into perspective.


That's the way I see it...


phlipsquad said:
hey, I might have sounded a little negative in the previous post. I am not saying that the phils sucks or anything. Its actually a great place! Your money goes a long way! Im just letting you guys know that if you havent really lived in the phils... adjustment can be a little hard. Well..maybe its me but most of my friends were homesick at one point in time . Despite that, you guys will have a great time there. New experiences, different lifestyles, etc.

hey paul. I do like my school. UST is nice. I think i learned alot this year. Med is DEFINITELY NOT a joke! I was a deans lister in college in the states (BS Biology) and i was barely passing med! Shi* Well.. Just one advice to you freshmen. DO NOT get discouraged if you get bad grades in your first semester (Most will). Its an adjustment period! Your grades will go up once you get used to the system. Best of luck class 2010!
 

pavlicvs

PAVLICVS
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
DocTan said:
Hi Paul! Welcome to UERMMMC. Good Luck this coming year! I just graduated this year. If you have any questions regarding UERM just PM me.

DocTan,
Did you have any favorite lecturers? What is Dr. Soto like? Also, where did you do your clerkship? Did you know Ruel Marinas? He's my cousin...he's doing his rotations right now at St. John's.
 

GoldenAzn

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
77
Reaction score
1
Hey wanted to say congrats to all of ya'll. I'm a filam from UST. Hopefully this year we can hang out with some UE members also, we hanged out with some fatima members last year...but haven't gotten to know the UE memebers. Only had contact info for one filam from UE. Anyways hopefully we can hang out..i sent a pm to the first years i saw...with some activities that the UST people are trying to do before school start. Hopefully we can hang out then.

Also to mike...there were more than 9-11 filams in the past batch...it's just some didn't wanna hang out. Or wanted to do their own thing...the ones you saw were the ones that wanted to be filam or hang out. Some of the filams don't wanna be recognized as filams because they were scared of ust trying to get the extra 10k out of them...so they were hidden..i knew of two in my subsection who were as such.
 

phlipsquad

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
163
Reaction score
0
pavlicvs said:
No worries...I didn't take your comment as being negative. You were writing from a place of honest experience...No gruff bro...I'm glad you like UST and have adjusted to living here.

I agree that the Philippines is different. I think studying here or anywhere else in the world (for that matter) is an enriching experience. I love living abroad...and naturally, living abroad always takes an adjustment period.

I lived in New York City (in an unrenovated flat with old pipes) before I moved out here. It was crowded, dirty, and really humid in the summer. We would always say the streets of Manhattan smelled like "hot garbage". Living in Manila isn't really much different except for the fact that the cost of living here is way way less than New York (thank God). I love it here!

Studying medicine in the Philippines is great because as Fil-Ams we get to experience a bit of our ethnic heritage, we get to learn/improve the Tagalog language, we have the enriching experience of living abroad...not to mention we aren't going to be paying for med-school out of our PWETs like our American colleagues...the cost of mal-practice insurance in the States is enough reason to want to save money.

The way I see it...in an age of globalization, EVERYTHING is made somewhere else...especially East Asia (even doctors). Shoots, lots of the nurses in the States are made here in the Philippines aren't they?

As far as med-school at UE goes...It's a great school. Many of the faculty and staff (including the dean of the med-school) at St. Lukes are all UE graduates. St. Lukes, as a hospital, is known to be better than 80% of the hospitals in the United States because of its facilities and talent. It really puts things into perspective.


That's the way I see it...

Yo Pavlicvs!
A New Yorker I see! Im from Yonkers. Its like a 10 minute drive from NYC. Where in the city did you live? Im always there when im home in new york.

Hey goldenazn,(Al) is a friend of mine too from UST. I agree with him. We should all hang out with you UE folks before school starts! You see, we might be from different schools, but in the end, we are all the same.....hopefuls tryin to pass the USMLE!
 

pavlicvs

PAVLICVS
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I lived the West Village (Carmine between Bedford and Bleeker) across from The Grey Dog ::hungover:rool::
peace and NY pizza grease,
Paul
 

n8ture

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
hey there jints,
i will be one of your neighbors. I fly out to the PI this Monday, and i'm just wrapping up things here, enjoying what i can of the states while i'm still around. when you head over there?
anyways, i look forward to meeting you, and good luck with all the preparations.



Jints said:
I'll also be attending UE this upcoming June and i'm looking forward to meeting you all. I'm a filipino american who recently graduated from Rutgers University. Just wondering if I'll be neighbors with anyone in this forum living in Robbinsdale. When I made arrangements there they said that 5 foreign med students are planning to live there. If not, where are u guys gonna be staying this sem?
 

DocTan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
pavlicvs said:
DocTan,
Did you have any favorite lecturers? What is Dr. Soto like? Also, where did you do your clerkship? Did you know Ruel Marinas? He's my cousin...he's doing his rotations right now at St. John's.

Hey Paul. I am very familiar with Dra. Soto. She was my teacher for neuro PD III. Boy! She was tough! She made you interview one patient and do an oral presentation (one-on-one) with her. If you failed you would fail PD III. But I learned so much because she forced us to. I had to learn every little detail about neurology.

As for lectures. I would not be a good person to ask. Now that I am done and graduated, the real truth has to come out. I probably attended only 10% of lecture my entire medical career. So their it is, everybody knows now, ha! :laugh:

I did my clerkship at St. Johns, Mt. Sinai school of medicine, and Jackson Park in Chicago. Frankly, I enjoyed the rotations in Chicago more than St. Johns. I like the fact we worked directly with attendings rather that residents in Chicago. Mt. Sinai was an awesome place many,many heavy weights who know their stuff.

Yes. I know Ruel very well. He actually was in my batch. I wish him the best of luck!
 

pavlicvs

PAVLICVS
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Doc Tan,
Thanks for the note. Yeah, my dad was batch mates with Dra. Soto and he would tell me stories about her. I hear she's very tough but also very well respected.

You say that you didn't go to many lectures...Is that because you're exceptionally brilliant (all modesty aside) or because you would have rather used that time to study independently?

Also, you did your clerkship at Mt. Sinai as well? Is that an affiliate school of UERM or were you just more tenacious at getting that gig?...OR did you have solid connections? I know these things are a bit pre-mature for me but I'm just curious as to landed such a great program.

How long will you be in Manila?

Thanks,
Paul
DocTan said:
Hey Paul. I am very familiar with Dra. Soto. She was my teacher for neuro PD III. Boy! She was tough! She made you interview one patient and do an oral presentation (one-on-one) with her. If you failed you would fail PD III. But I learned so much because she forced us to. I had to learn every little detail about neurology.

As for lectures. I would not be a good person to ask. Now that I am done and graduated, the real truth has to come out. I probably attended only 10% of lecture my entire medical career. So their it is, everybody knows now, ha! :laugh:

I did my clerkship at St. Johns, Mt. Sinai school of medicine, and Jackson Park in Chicago. Frankly, I enjoyed the rotations in Chicago more than St. Johns. I like the fact we worked directly with attendings rather that residents in Chicago. Mt. Sinai was an awesome place many,many heavy weights who know their stuff.

Yes. I know Ruel very well. He actually was in my batch. I wish him the best of luck!
 

DocTan

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
pavlicvs said:
Doc Tan,
Thanks for the note. Yeah, my dad was batch mates with Dra. Soto and he would tell me stories about her. I hear she's very tough but also very well respected.

You say that you didn't go to many lectures...Is that because you're exceptionally brilliant (all modesty aside) or because you would have rather used that time to study independently?

Also, you did your clerkship at Mt. Sinai as well? Is that an affiliate school of UERM or were you just more tenacious at getting that gig?...OR did you have solid connections? I know these things are a bit pre-mature for me but I'm just curious as to landed such a great program.

How long will you be in Manila?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul! I just left Manila this past Sunday. I meet one of your batchmates to be, Chris. It seems you guys are going to be a large class of Fil-Ams. As for not going to class, I used the time independently to study. And even when I went to class I read most of the time while the lecture was going on. We have transcriptions anyway which is exactly what the professor said in the lecture. I used most of my time studying for the USMLE's. I was able to take the Step 1 right after 2nd year because of my independent studying. I also was able to take step 2ck in the middle of my third year because of the same reason. Now I am starting residency this July 1st. I guess my story is pretty unique, but I am nowhere near a genius. Just an average student willing to work hard.

As for Mt. Sinai, I would say my batch was pretty persistent in getting that rotation spot. I actually took the affliation agreement given to me by our dean and went to Mt. Sinai's Dean of the College of Medicine and had the agreement signed for each student who was accepted to rotations at Sinai. That is why I was able to rotate over there, but it does not have a formal affilation with UERM. The main reason why most UERM students cannot attend Sinai is it has a USMLE step 1 required (ie you have to pass step 1). I think this discourages alot of students from applying. St Johns and Jackson Park do not have a Step 1 requirement.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you, but judging from the 2010 fil-am batch you guys should get along pretty well. Chris and Janice seem like very nice people. Good Luck!
 

Jints

New Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
hey n8ture,

looking forward to meeting you as well. i move in to robbinsdale on june 1st but i've here in the philippines for over a week now staying with relatives in las pinas. i'll be living on the first floor..and as far as i know, there's 1 other fil-am there, chris. see ya soon & good luck

n8ture said:
hey there jints,
i will be one of your neighbors. I fly out to the PI this Monday, and i'm just wrapping up things here, enjoying what i can of the states while i'm still around. when you head over there?
anyways, i look forward to meeting you, and good luck with all the preparations.
 

pavlicvs

PAVLICVS
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
NEED HOUSING?

If there is anyone on this thread from UERM starting school this June and you don't have housing secured yet...I'd like to let you know that I have a few rooms in a new townhouse that I'm living in. It's not walking distance to UE but you can take a 15 minute ride via the LRT to a stop a block away from the schoo. The place is only a little over one year old. You will have your own bedroom and bed. It is walking distance to the Araneta Commercial Center and Gateway Mall (It will make more sense when you're actually here). If you're interested PM me or e-mail me and we'll work out the details. I may be living at Robbinsdale during the school week and then come to this place on the weekends...we may be able to set the same thing up for you if you are interested.
 

summerfire

New Member
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone!

I'm an incoming freshman in UERM too. I'm not FilAm though. But I chanced upon your discussion of the option to take your clerkship abroad and I found it interesting that you could choose a hospital to rotate in as long as you're persistent in getting an agreement between the dean and the clerkship coordinator.

I'm interested in hopefully taking this option. May I ask though, if you could possibly take only a certain elective abroad and most in UERM? I don't think I could be able to spend 10-11 months in Chicago or New York because I don't have any family near that area. But I'm interested in doing a few months of training in North Carolina. Could I possibly take this option?

Thanks in advance for trying to help me. I'm really gearing up to gain clinical experience in the US so I could get the letters of recommendations needed to Match in a good program.
 
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top