How do I make an application worthy of MD or MD/PhD (Duke-NUS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chuppychups

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thank you so much for taking the time to go through what I have written. I'll try to be as succinct as possible.

I am entering my Masters of Science (By Research) in Bioinformatics (2 year program) starting January 2020. Following the completion of my masters, I want to enter Medicine. The college is not in the US, however it is a US based medical school - Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. A joint and collaborative venture between Duke University, School of Medicine and National University of Singapore.

Background - Undergraduate degree in BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science from the UK (3.45 GPA). Final Year Project in Bioinformatics. Published two papers as one of two authors (me being the student/apprentice and the other, my lovely supervisor). Going to pursue masters now because I like studying in general plus research. I come from a third world country where nobody does the following before they enter medicine: shadowing, community service, volunteer work or hospital related experience, research work etc. Also, there are no interviews for admission to medical school, however, there is only one ridiculously hard exam that you need to qualify (Long story short - I am ineligible to become a doctor in my country).

Please advice on how to do all these - shadowing, community service, volunteer work or hospital related experience and research work along with doing my masters. I will most probably be working after masters for one year to support my family. What should I do in these two years?

Basically, I love this forum because people give genuine advice here.

How do I make an application worthy of MD or MD/PhD? (Please don't refrain yourself from constructive or harsh criticism)

Cheers!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

replying from a Singapore perspective. Are you doing your master's in UK?

Shadowing: Easiest way is to befriend a doctor and ask him/her how to go about doing it in the hospital that he/she is working at. Sometimes, writing into the HR dept to ask to shadow a doctor is possible as well.

Community service: Volunteering with a cause that you are passionate about. Need not be hospital-related, I suppose.

Research: Sounds like you have already covered that. U PUBLISHED 2 papers!!!

I think you missed out an important component there - MCAT/GAMSAT
It is a ridiculously hard exam as well. But with good prep, and with your biomed background, it should not be a huge issue. That will take some time to prep.

I am probably not the most qualified to answer. Not a current student. Only went to applicant day recently, still awaiting results.
Hope all goes well for u! :)))

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

replying from a Singapore perspective. Are you doing your master's in UK?

Shadowing: Easiest way is to befriend a doctor and ask him/her how to go about doing it in the hospital that he/she is working at. Sometimes, writing into the HR dept to ask to shadow a doctor is possible as well.

Community service: Volunteering with a cause that you are passionate about. Need not be hospital-related, I suppose.

Research: Sounds like you have already covered that. U PUBLISHED 2 papers!!!

I think you missed out an important component there - MCAT/GAMSAT
It is a ridiculously hard exam as well. But with good prep, and with your biomed background, it should not be a huge issue. That will take some time to prep.

I am probably not the most qualified to answer. Not a current student. Only went to applicant day recently, still awaiting results.
Hope all goes well for u! :)))
Thank you for the positive insights. I'll keep these points in mind while I get all my prerequisites done for med school.

I hope your applicant day went well and I wish you get admitted.

I'll probably be applying to Duke-NUS after 2 years because I'll be doing my masters first.

Anyhoo, enjoy and take care!!!