CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice to hear about something completely different!

completely.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know TT wants to start a new topic, but I'm just gonna throw in for Ohio State that regardless of what classes we have in a day, we are usually out by 2 or 3. If we go to 4 its a LONG day, at least for this quarter.

And now, back to TT

Well at TTs request here is a new topic. Anyone had to do something in vet school so far that you maybe felt uncomfortable or did not agree with doing?

For me I had a hard time in one our clinical skills labs the other day we were learning about handeling lab animals. And part of the session was knocking out mice and rats, practice different injections then euthanize the animals. I felt horrible about euthanizing healthy animals. The lab instructor pointed out that they were surplus lab animals that were destined for euthanasia later that day but I still felt bad that they were bred with no purpose.

So far thats the only issue I have had. Anyone else experience anything similar?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know TT wants to start a new topic, but I'm just gonna throw in for Ohio State that regardless of what classes we have in a day, we are usually out by 2 or 3. If we go to 4 its a LONG day, at least for this quarter.

*is jealous*

Anyone else experience anything similar?

It's mildly weird, but the only thing I've had a big issue with is our ethics class. I don't mind talking about the issues, and it's been really interesting, but they do a horrible job with wrapping the topics up. I end up emotionally riled for days with no way to feel like I got closure on some of the issues. It makes me grrrrrr.....

It's mildly weird, but the only thing I've had a big issue with is our ethics class. I don't mind talking about the issues, and it's been really interesting, but they do a horrible job with wrapping the topics up. I end up emotionally riled for days with no way to feel like I got closure on some of the issues. It makes me grrrrrr.....

I really hope that they do a better job with tomorrow's lecture on pet loss. The video just really did nothing for me except make me cry for the old woman! It just didn't seem to offer any advice on how to deal with the subject...

I really hope that they do a better job with tomorrow's lecture on pet loss. The video just really did nothing for me except make me cry for the old woman! It just didn't seem to offer any advice on how to deal with the subject...

That's my big problem. They don't every seem to talk about how to resolve the problems, just that they are there. *shrug* oh well. If this is the worst that happens to me in vet school, I'll take it!

That's my big problem. They don't every seem to talk about how to resolve the problems, just that they are there. *shrug* oh well. If this is the worst that happens to me in vet school, I'll take it!

I have the exact same problem with our professional issues class. We talk for two hours about some super depressing issue, they ask us a million questions about how we think vets should deal with these issues, but they never actually give us any answers to these questions or give us any idea how we should approach these issues in practice. It is extremely frustrating!

As of 9:42 am this morning, I am officially DONE with my first semester of vet school!!! Well, minus the selectives weeks after Thanksgiving, but done with anatomy, exams, studying, physiology, lab, microscopes, etc. 1/8th of the way done!

I have the exact same problem with our professional issues class. We talk for two hours about some super depressing issue, they ask us a million questions about how we think vets should deal with these issues, but they never actually give us any answers to these questions or give us any idea how we should approach these issues in practice. It is extremely frustrating!

We are really lucky that in our p-skills course that we talk about these issues and then throughout our entire first 3 years of vet school we have communication labs where you get actors as clients who present a wide variety of scenarios, all dealing with things we will see in practice. We have a community mentor vet in the room with us and if we have difficulty dealing with a situation we can call a time out and receive advice on hwo to proceed. During the scenario the rest of our team (fellow classmates) listen on the other side of two way glass and after the scenario can also provide feedback. So far in first year the scenarios have included euthanasia, convinience euthanasia, clients angry at other vet clinics, welfare issues, to name a few. We also get some routine interactions.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

If you weren't able to go home or spend it like you normally do, what you do for it?

A bunch of us got together for a potluck Thanksgiving. I think there were like 20-25 of us in a little flat. We had a great time and all of the food was really good. Considering I couldn't go home for Thanksgiving, I couldn't have asked for a better one. :)

If you weren't able to go home or spend it like you normally do, what you do for it?

A bunch of us got together for a potluck Thanksgiving. I think there were like 20-25 of us in a little flat. We had a great time and all of the food was really good. Considering I couldn't go home for Thanksgiving, I couldn't have asked for a better one. :)

That's awesome!! I think some people here did the same thing. Also, one of our professors invited anyone who couldn't go home to his house for Thanksgiving! It was so sweet and you could tell it was genuine. I told my parents about this when they were over for our Thanksgiving lunch and my dad said that one of his students (who became a professor) did that too!! and he always kept in close contact with the students. so sweet!

I'm definitely sick right now though, it sucks. Nothing serious but a really annoying cough that won't go away and a runny nose, drowsiness :( I just need to get well and not worse for my last 2 weeks of finals and then i don't care if i'm sick!! lol sooo clossse

We had about 60 Americans/Brits come to our Thanksgiving (we had it in the school) and Banfield sponsored us with 3 turkeys! It was great. I've been sick (some combination of flu, sinusitis, and bronchitis), so I didn't stay very long, but it was a lot of fun! I got a lot of compliments on my pecan pie, too. :) It sucked to be so far away from home, but it was the best substitute I could hope for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel better B33. :love:

Honestly though, I can't remember the last time I wasn't partly sick.

:love: dude, zinc totally works!! i can tell my sickness has leveled off instead of getting worse :D

congrats to the people who have already finished finals!! woww i can't wait til my first semester is over too!! hopefully it will be my worst semester of vet school because i dont think i can take anything worse than this hahaha and for everyone else--good luck on finals!! we're almost done!!

Hope you guys get better and feel better soon!!

Lei you got sponsored with 3 turkeys??? Lucky! Everyone was invited to ours, but none of the Canadians or Brits came...

Good luck and happy studying to everyone with finals soon. :D

H
Lei you got sponsored with 3 turkeys??? Lucky!

I saw that too! We haven't even been visited by Banfield, let alone had them offer up some Turkey Lurkey. Whassup with that???

I saw that too! We haven't even been visited by Banfield, let alone had them offer up some Turkey Lurkey. Whassup with that???

One of the third year Americans is a Banfield rep, and she pulled some strings to get it to happen. It was nice, but the stuffing was terrible. I wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth, though. Or gift turkey in the bum? :D

As of 9:42 am this morning, I am officially DONE with my first semester of vet school!!! Well, minus the selectives weeks after Thanksgiving, but done with anatomy, exams, studying, physiology, lab, microscopes, etc. 1/8th of the way done!

congrats nittanykitty!! what an awesome feeling! i think i would really like that schedule...it would be so nice to be finished with finals before thanksgiving and then come back to selectives. we have 2.5 weeks left..i can't wait to be finished!!!

Just taking a study break....
Next week is the begining of our finals week at Western! Six days of intense, stressful, make you want to cry exams. This block (8weeks) is full of internal medicine (ick...but I'm trying to make peace with the Internal Medicine Gods). Its gonna be a wild couple of weeks. I hope I do as well on finals as I did on midterms.
Oh and one of the exams I fear most is the ACT (Assessment of Critical Thinking). Basically we're given a case (like our PBL cases but something we haven't come across before) with presenting complaint, history, physical exam finding, and maybe bloodwork, urinalysis, and other diagnostic tests (if indicated). Then we have to sort through it all, localize the patient's problem, and pick our top two differentials. Then we have to write out the pathophysiology of those two differentials and how it explains the signs and diagnosistc findings in our patient. :eek: Grading is based on how well you explain your pathophysiology and explain the supporting information, and how you would rule in or out the other differentials that were given to you.
It is supposed to be based along the problems we have seen this past block...which is mostly internal medicine....Pray for me :laugh:

only 4 more exams left!! yippieeeeeeeeeeee!!!

good luck to everyone :luck: :love:

ps-it is sooo hard to study with all of this "holiday cheer" around!! i just want to listen to christmas music, drink hot chocolate, and read a good book with my cat on my lap lol

So...hard...studying for anatomy. 3 exams down, 4 to go. If I'm not insane by the end of this week, it will be a miracle! :D

So...hard...studying for anatomy. 3 exams down, 4 to go. If I'm not insane by the end of this week, it will be a miracle! :D

lol i think i was insane this whole semester!! i can't wait for break because i can get my life and personality back :D

i can't wait for break because i can get my life and personality back :D

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeesh I thought my personality was pretty much set - amazing how it changes when you get crazy thrown at you for a semester!

I'm with you Skittles. Although I'm not sure that I'm glad we have a whole month off, or worried that I'll be just as insane from boredom as I am from school by the time we go back.

Classes completed thus far this semester: Anatomy, Neuroscience, Histology, and Professional Development

Classes to finish in the next 2 days: Physiology and Infectious Agents

Yay for being done Tuesday!!!

Anatomy final on Friday, and then Cell Phys, Histology, and Principles of Surgery next week.
Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way I could possibly be less motivated to study than I am. I have no idea how I'm possibly going to get everything done.
I absolutely, positively cannot wait for three weeks with no studying. And I'm going to get to go back and work at my clinic at home, so hopefully I can remember why I wanted to be here in the first place!!

We have had anatomy and radiology so far! Tomorrow is histo, wednesday is animal behavior and epidemiology and thursday is cell bio and we are DONE! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So far we are done with dev bio, wildlife, and intro to clinical vet med, oh and biochem.

Yesterday was our anatomy written and today is our anatomy practical on the entire horse and goat. Friday we have our histo practical and Monday is histo written and then we are done!

I voted for sleep last night instead of cramming for anatomy today...I hope that works out ok for me :)

Anatomy and Histology done. Physiology tomorrow, then *dun dun dunnnn* Immunology. The final in immuno is 40% of our grade.

Lord help us all.

The final in immuno is 40% of our grade.

Is that a lot? That is pretty typical here.

Our finals have been worth
100% (ok maybe 90% or something. not exactly sure)
65% (includes written and practical)
50% (includes written and practical)
33%
33% (1.5 semester course though.. so kind of like 50%).

The final we took in the beginning of November was worth 80% of our grade... for a 12 credit class. No pressure?

Good luck everyone! :luck:

33%

haha yea you're right SOV it was 96% lol

DONE WITH ANATOMY!!!!!!!!!!!!! (well, only the head left!! and that is gonna be soo much easier!!! :D )

edit: good thing it wasnt worth 12 credits tho like turnbackkellys lol

Last edited:
OMG, i am sooooo jelly belly...we don't have our first exams until FEBRUARY!!! :scared::eek: 5 months of information.....ahhhhhhhhh

OMG, i am sooooo jelly belly...we don't have our first exams until FEBRUARY!!! :scared::eek: 5 months of information.....ahhhhhhhhh

hmm that is odd. it would literally be impossible for me to memorize everything i had learned this semester+a couple more months for one exam in feb. I wonder if they focus more on clinical stuff when testing?? because i know 3/4 of what i learned this semester will not be useful once i graduate lol.

How do they test anatomy? all species, full body+head in 1 exam?? this just doesnt make any sense. maybe there is a huge curve??

We don't have any finals until later Feb/March. Anatomy and Physiology are the two courses that go all year and have cumulative final exams in April with everything we've learned since August.

hmm that is odd. it would literally be impossible for me to memorize everything i had learned this semester+a couple more months for one exam in feb. I wonder if they focus more on clinical stuff when testing?? because i know 3/4 of what i learned this semester will not be useful once i graduate lol.

How do they test anatomy? all species, full body+head in 1 exam?? this just doesnt make any sense. maybe there is a huge curve??

It's an interesting curve to say the least that involves changing your perspective drastically. 75% of the knowledge is required to pass. Pass = 50-59%, Credit = 60-69%, Distinction = 70+%. However, it's impossible to get more than mid to high 80s because of the way they grade. No joke, no one gets in the 90s. I was never happier to see 77 as my final AB1 score and yet so disappointed at the same time. (Anything above 60% is a fantastic grade and they'll look at you like you have 6 heads if you go in and complain about it.) I think I get my AB2 score in 2 weeks. :scared:

For GEPs it was nitty-gritty anatomy (we didn't get our own dog because of time constraints). They don't test you on everything they teach, but you have to know it in order to pass. However, we were told we didn't need to know the platisma nor did anyone ever cover the 2 insertions of the stenocephalicus(?) but it still came up on my oral exam. (Grr at Kai-Kai. *not bitter*) They definitely seem to focus more on clinical relevance for GEPs since we essentially cover 2 years of information in 1 year.

We had essays, shorts, spot (lab exam), and an oral exam for anatomy/embryology/cell bio module. I think 5y programme people have 'interpretation' added to that list? (And their exams aren't until February.) And embryology spot questions are horrid. (Hint: study and understand the JAtlas diagrams/cross sections.)

Those tests are all in one week and make up 100% of your module grade. It's great fun. :rolleyes:

how did you think our anatomy test was?

how did you think our anatomy test was?

well, i have no idea what my score was lol. But if you answer these 2 things for me and they match up with my answers I'LL BE SUPER PROUD OF MYSELF!!

1) was that an ovary or kidney in the horse? the rounded object that was 1/10th showing. I put ovary.

2) on the skeleton, there was a joint, i put radiocarpal joint---and i put that it does not communicate with anything.

Did i get these "trick" questions right?!!?!?!

i dont really care what i scored, but im just SUPER proud of myself right now!! i basically crammed the whole goat and horse into my head in 2 days!!! AMAZING!!! I walked into the exam prepared to accept the fact that I may get a 30%. but I left feeling similar to the first exam (which i actually passed :) ) so i hope it turns out that way!!

edit: also, i got the superficial inguinal mammary lymph node right!! YAYYYYYYYYYY i just couldnt be more proud of myself right now :) i mean, there was also some stuff i didn't know lol but i felt soo happy to (hopefully) get these random ones right

We don't have any finals until later Feb/March. Anatomy and Physiology are the two courses that go all year and have cumulative final exams in April with everything we've learned since August.

Ok, after reading these, I promise to no longer complain about tests every week and sometimes multiple tests in a week. As hard as it seems sometimes keeping up, the amount of information in a cumulative vet school exam after a whole year must be so overwhelming :scared:. Good luck to you in April! :luck:

And on a happier note: anatomy practical on Thursday, written on Friday and then off for a whole month. And besides getting a much needed break, I finally get to go home and see Riley! :love: Haven't seen him since August.

well, i have no idea what my score was lol. But if you answer these 2 things for me and they match up with my answers I'LL BE SUPER PROUD OF MYSELF!!

1) was that an ovary or kidney in the horse? the rounded object that was 1/10th showing. I put ovary.

2) on the skeleton, there was a joint, i put radiocarpal joint---and i put that it does not communicate with anything.

Did i get these "trick" questions right?!!?!?!

i dont really care what i scored, but im just SUPER proud of myself right now!! i basically crammed the whole goat and horse into my head in 2 days!!! AMAZING!!! I walked into the exam prepared to accept the fact that I may get a 30%. but I left feeling similar to the first exam (which i actually passed :) ) so i hope it turns out that way!!

edit: also, i got the superficial inguinal mammary lymph node right!! YAYYYYYYYYYY i just couldnt be more proud of myself right now :) i mean, there was also some stuff i didn't know lol but i felt soo happy to (hopefully) get these random ones right

1) kidney
2) you are correct :D

because i know 3/4 of what i learned this semester will not be useful once i graduate lol.

Not exactly true, though definitely what I told myself last year! ;) I did externships this summer and heard references to stuff I'd learned in Devo, Biochem and Histo repeatedly. You'll remember more than you think you do though -- or at least remember enough to know where to go look it up for a refresher! Plus, it all comes up again and again 2nd year, especially in Path.

Congrats on being 2/3 done w/ anatomy!

The finals at CSU at least for this semester's kind of anticlimatic. I think all the finals except immunology are only worth the same as midterms... and every class is pass/fail. My condolences for whoever has that final worth 80% in a 12 credit course. ouch...

I guess they make up for it by making us take a capstone exam at the beginning of second year that is a comprehensive exam covering all 1st year courses (not looking forward to that one). Apparently their rationale was that they wanted to have a test that was something like the USMLE exams for med school, except it would be given each year.

1) kidney
2) you are correct :D

KIDNEY?! ughhhhhh that is so ******ed. i thought why would they tag a kidney, that is wayyy too easy!! and the way it was covered i thought for sure it was a trick to realize the ovaries are farther back than you think. i cant believe it was a stupid kidney!! i thought kidney at first and then i stared at it for 5 min thinking wtf else could it be because a kidney is way too easy! then ovary popped into my mind, and i remembered Moe's lecture about ovaries and fecal balls and i thought i hit the jackpot! lol

ben and me-well its good to know all this cramming wasn't for nothing! i cant wait to start using my knowledge more. also im super excited to take my cat to the vet so i can ask the vet if they can feel all of the things i CANT feel and then show me where they are on her lol i'm such a horrible palpator. The cows this summer were easy, cats are hard!!

KIDNEY?! ughhhhhh that is so ******ed. i thought why would they tag a kidney, that is wayyy too easy!! and the way it was covered i thought for sure it was a trick to realize the ovaries are farther back than you think. i cant believe it was a stupid kidney!! i thought kidney at first and then i stared at it for 5 min thinking wtf else could it be because a kidney is way too easy! then ovary popped into my mind, and i remembered Moe's lecture about ovaries and fecal balls and i thought i hit the jackpot! lol

ben and me-well its good to know all this cramming wasn't for nothing! i cant wait to start using my knowledge more. also im super excited to take my cat to the vet so i can ask the vet if they can feel all of the things i CANT feel and then show me where they are on her lol i'm such a horrible palpator. The cows this summer were easy, cats are hard!!

it's all good I read 4' as 4. Not the same! sigh.

i basically crammed the whole goat and horse into my head in 2 days!!!

What an image :laugh:

Great job though, BlacKAT --I hope I'm as lighthearted when I crawl away from our Gross final.

My condolences for whoever has that final worth 80% in a 12 credit course. ouch...

:hello:

it's all good, that final is long done with - the whole class passed and i was personally more than pleased with how i did. compared to that 4-day sh*tshow (8 hour 35 pg written, 2 oral exams, 2 hour lab practical), the multiple choice and true-false midterm we have coming up on friday almost seems like a joke. :laugh:

woooo semester 1 is finished!!!

33%

Oh pfffft, stop bragging.

Actually it may be the norm. It's the only one I've looked at to be honest cause it's the only one I'm concerned about lol.