Class of 2027... how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IvyMoose

Vet School... Eventually
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really couldn't wait to get this started, and continuing the tradition of February start!

So... how YOU doin'?

Season 5 Friends Tv Show GIF by Friends

And an extra for good luck
Oh My God Wow GIF by Lifetime

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Struggling hardcore with watching Michigan State CVM students fight on reddit right now. Apparently there was a cheating scandal as well, and a lot of information I wasn’t aware of. It makes it difficult to want to go to my IS.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Struggling hardcore with watching Michigan State CVM students fight on reddit right now. Apparently there was a cheating scandal as well, and a lot of information I wasn’t aware of. It makes it difficult to want to go to my IS.
H e l l o I am a nosy ass bitch. Where does one find this? I just wanna know what’s going on 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
YIKES. Sexual assault accusations and still allowing them access to students. When will MSU learn that is the opposite of what you do? I’m sorry, honeypot that all this is now going on and making you question whether you want to go there💜💜💜

• Care
Reactions: 3 users

That is not good at ALL! Echoing ski, I'm sorry this is happening, and how do these professors continue to teach! Hopefully it gets righted soon. IMO, completely unacceptable in an academic institution. And with the dean resigning? Definitely will toss things up. Hoping you have the clarity you need to make the decision <3

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Currently still can’t believe that I’m actually going to be a veterinarian!!! (and struggling to find motivation to finish out my last semester of undergrad) :soexcited:

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
So excited to start vet school in the fall but overthinking and stressing that somehow I will fail out or something :lol:

• Care
Currently my excitement is overshadowed by stress and anxiety about finances! Really wishing I could relax and be proud of myself for this incredible accomplishment, but instead I am questioning everything :')

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
I am very excited but stressed. Unofficially narrowed down my school list to two. Worried about choosing the right school, worried about moving. Worried about my professor not accommodating my absences due to school visitations, interviews, and an unexpected death in the family :mad:

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Currently my excitement is overshadowed by stress and anxiety about finances! Really wishing I could relax and be proud of myself for this incredible accomplishment, but instead I am questioning everything :')
I feel you, now that I have gotten an acceptance I'm irrationally afraid that I'm going to fail one of my prerequisite classes.

My anxiety is at an all-time high because I am still waiting for IS!!! It would literally change everything and yet, still don’t have a decision :/

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
My anxiety is at an all-time high because I am still waiting for IS!!! It would literally change everything and yet, still don’t have a decision :/
I don’t wish the pain of “the wait” on anyone. I’m sorry :’(

Members don't see this ad :)
Housing is forever going to stress me out🫠
Housing is continuing to stress me out like... hopefully I will be living in the area by the time orientation starts :rofl:

• Care
I’ve been panicking all night about how to pay for rent and food during vet school. Ugh time to talk to the parents about the plan

• Care
I’ve been panicking all night about how to pay for rent and food during vet school. Ugh time to talk to the parents about the plan
Dude same. My rent is $1800 and that doesn’t include utilities or food or gas or a car payment lolol.

Loans will cover my rent but that’s it :(((

Dude same. My rent is $1800 and that doesn’t include utilities or food or gas or a car payment lolol.

Loans will cover my rent but that’s it :(((
I’m just hoping that maybe i’ll be able to get a part time job on weekends if i can commit to studying every day during the week. Just something you know to cover groceries

Joining this thread but also soooooo stressed about how to pay for rent and food :( My savings is going to become nonexistent in a few months

I wonder if there’s any way to petition the school for more money for cost of living (if it’s truly needed)? Without having to resort to private loans. I’m sure rents have jumped astronomically in the last couple years but I’d also bet the money allotted by the school hasn’t been increased as much as rent and inflation has. I feel like I read about someone on here trying to get more money for cost of living several years ago…maybe @DVMDream? Of course they may say ‘too bad, so sad, find a roommate’ or something but can’t hurt to ask or research it?

• Care
The place I’ll probably get off the waitlist I might be able to get cost of living to cover renting a room, food and my car but I’ve also got 3 horses who would be coming with me.

Is it just me or does anyone else think there should be a pulling your hair out emoji?

The place I’ll probably get off the waitlist I might be able to get cost of living to cover renting a room, food and my car but I’ve also got 3 horses who would be coming with me.

Is it just me or does anyone else think there should be a pulling your hair out emoji?
Highly agree!

I wonder if there’s any way to petition the school for more money for cost of living (if it’s truly needed)? Without having to resort to private loans. I’m sure rents have jumped astronomically in the last couple years but I’d also bet the money allotted by the school hasn’t been increased as much as rent and inflation has. I feel like I read about someone on here trying to get more money for cost of living several years ago…maybe @DVMDream? Of course they may say ‘too bad, so sad, find a roommate’ or something but can’t hurt to ask or research it?
i tried to do that this year. i‘ve been having financial problems, live with roommates, and qualify for work/study, but my school was mostly like ‘oh yikes. good luck w that’. they did have some options to help with car problems but strict guidelines as to when how/if they’d be able to help with that. i’m guessing there are different guidelines at different schools so prob still worth looking into 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anyone else completely burnt out trying to figure out affordable housing + finish out this semester? (Plus work, plus sick cats, plus... :( )

Anyone else completely burnt out trying to figure out affordable housing + finish out this semester? (Plus work, plus sick cats, plus... :( )
Housing, loans, starting school are all stressing me out as well. I feel like i’m drowning

You all are not alone! I am also stressing. I think actually being able to apply for loans would make me feel better but right now I feel like I’m drowning in the wait lol

You all are not alone! I am also stressing. I think actually being able to apply for loans would make me feel better but right now I feel like I’m drowning in the wait lol
Has your stress gotten to the point of like physical symptoms at all?

I was so happy to get my acceptance and then I remember that I will have to move, figure out finances, AND I’m starting to get imposter syndrome lol 🙃 so now I’m sad and stressed. I know that I worked my butt off for this but holy cow..

• Care
  • Love
Yes omg!! I’m being treated for ulcers. I’m taking 3 medications just trying to function with the ulcer pain. I first went to the ER thinking it was heart issues (thank god it wasn’t!)

I also have severe panic attacks, so I was put on a medication to help me calm down. Then, I started to jump out of my sleep lol, so I was put on a medication to help me not have nightmares.
I also have chronic migraines but don’t take meds for them. Everything is related to stress/anxiety.

Almost all of this started or worsened mid application cycle and has gotten PROGRESSIVELY worse (especially the ulcers) after being accepted.

So, if your anxiety is causing you physical ailments you aren’t alone <3

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I was so happy to get my acceptance and then I remember that I will have to move, figure out finances, AND I’m starting to get imposter syndrome lol 🙃 so now I’m sad and stressed. I know that I worked my butt off for this but holy cow..
this... this sums all my feelings up

I don't want to say too much else but there's a work situation that is giving me the worst imposter syndrome and I'm like :thinking: me, a future vet? Doubt

• Sad
Submitted application for rental house, looking at an apartment that has raving reviews from tenants (students included)... such a difference from literally yesterday when i was SOL... lets hope something sticks!

• Love
Otherwise, final assignments are killing me and I literally cannot wait until I am done with this degree

• Care
Hey don’t worry I am a vet and still have imposter syndrome some days! If I can do it so can you! You got this!!!!
Thanks!! I'm just at a point where I'm like uhhh wait a second, am I prepared for this?

Thanks!! I'm just at a point where I'm like uhhh wait a second, am I prepared for this?
That's a negative, ghost rider, cause ain't nobody ready for a professional program except maybe peeps who already did a PhD. But that's totes fine!! You're in and now all you gotta do is your best!

• Love
That's a negative, ghost rider, cause ain't nobody ready for a professional program except maybe peeps who already did a PhD. But that's totes fine!! You're in and now all you gotta do is your best!
And people who already did a PhD are only ready because their souls have already been snatched

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
haven't quite come to terms yet that by this time next week I'll have completed my undergrad education. I know covid was in there but these past four years really flew

Makes me feel better to read y'all's responses. I *know* that I'm not alone in feeling overwhelmed, but I feel better reading what everyone has to say.
Went to the optometrist for recurring headaches. Eyes are fine. Just stress. :dead: She needs a large animal vet for her family's cattle. If the farm wasn't 3 hours away, I'd help in a few years.

Has anyone had to shop around for health insurance on the market place before? I wasn’t prepared for SDSU to not offer student health insurance. I also feel like the estimated cost of living is a little low, so a little nervous about health insurance now. Also, does anyone know if UMN offers student health insurance? I will be in the 2+2 program, so I’ll be at UMN for the last two years.

Has anyone had to shop around for health insurance on the market place before? I wasn’t prepared for SDSU to not offer student health insurance. I also feel like the estimated cost of living is a little low, so a little nervous about health insurance now. Also, does anyone know if UMN offers student health insurance? I will be in the 2+2 program, so I’ll be at UMN for the last two years.
Have you contacted the veterinary program about this? I feel like even though you're in the 2+2 program you would qualify for insurance offered through the program.

Have you contacted the veterinary program about this? I feel like even though you're in the 2+2 program you would qualify for insurance offered through the program.
I have not, but it is pretty clear that the university doesn’t offer any student health insurance on their website! I think there is a link to the marketplace even… I will give the school a call to clarify though!

What's the estimated cost of living?

I don't get insurance through work because I wouldn't be able to keep my doctor. I went through the Colorado market place to cost compare, then signed up directly with the company I ultimately chose.

What's the estimated cost of living?

I don't get insurance through work because I wouldn't be able to keep my doctor. I went through the Colorado market place to cost compare, then signed up directly with the company I ultimately chose.
$8641/ semester.
I will look into for Minnesota ( will live in MN and not SD).

I have not, but it is pretty clear that the university doesn’t offer any student health insurance on their website! I think there is a link to the marketplace even… I will give the school a call to clarify though!
You could also check into Medicare. Since you won’t have an income, you’d likely qualify. I know of a handful of friends who were on Medicare in vet school.