CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DONE! Phew!
I'm starting training for my new job this afternoon. I have never been so excited for manual labor! I get to pull my head out of my books and away from my computer screen!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just nutrition left and then I am FREE!!!!! Bring on playing guitar/piano all day long, walks that last for hours, and having a life again!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe you're all finishing up! We had our last day of class today and finals will begin on Friday, technically, though the real action will begin on Saturday with the Anatomy final. Friday's just the PE final, which is P/NP and apparently hasn't ever been failed. Then it'll be physio on Monday, Developmental Anatomy on Tuesday and Histo on Wednesday, and assuming I get out of the midwest, I'll be home just in time for celebrations on Xmas eve.

It's interesting hearing about all the different testing methods. Our histo exam is all microscope based. The class gets split into groups/times and there are microscopes set up all over. Some, you can only adjust fine focus, others you get to move around to your heart's content. There's no particular order you have to go in, it's just your responsibility to get to all the slides in the allotted time, which can be tricky since we all get hung up on the same ones, so a line forms and nobody gets enough time. I've been studying for that one since last week even though it's my last final. I have no breathing room in that class, unlike anatomy.

Last edited:
Here at AVC in PEI we have one exam, Behaviour, left on Friday! Yeah! Just had Histology today. Started last week with Structure & Function, Immunology, Physiology, Animal Production Systems, and Anatomy on Monday. Some of you seem lucky to have 4 or 5 exams only! We get 2.5 weeks off and start again Jan 5. It's been a good, sometimes exhausting, semester. The pace of coursework is pretty good and could be worse. Our hardest exam, like many other posts here, was Physiology too.

I can't believe you're all finishing up! We had our last day of class today and finals will begin on Friday, technically, though the real action will begin on Saturday with the Anatomy final. Friday's just the PE final, which is P/NP and apparently hasn't ever been failed. Then it'll be physio on Monday, Developmental Anatomy on Tuesday and Histo on Thursday, and assuming I get out of the midwest, I'll be home just in time for celebrations on Xmas eve.

Do any other schools push this close to the Christmas holiday?

Feeling nostalgic and tired! Cornell "finished" our first semester today. I put that in quotes because we technically have a final coming up in 3ish weeks which counts towards our fall grades so we haven't really finished yet...however, it feels good to be home. I can't believe only a year ago I was dying inside (literally) to hear the impending doom news I was expecting or the life changing news I actually received. Anyone else feeling nostalgic? That is if you're done with finals ;)

Our last midterm is tomorrow! Unlike most of you guys, most of our courses haven't ended (basic surgical skills is done, and animal production is split up into 3 separate modules and we're done 2, and because they're separate with different profs the tests aren't cumulative). We've written all our midterms (and two midterms each for anatomy and physiology). We have a bunch of finals in Feb/March, then start some new courses which wrap up in April with anatomy and physiology.

I will be so glad to get a break though!

I put that in quotes because we technically have a final coming up in 3ish weeks which counts towards our fall grades so we haven't really finished yet...

Wut?

Do any other schools push this close to the Christmas holiday?

Mizzou's last final is tomorrow so not as bad as some but we start back Jan 3rd so our winter break is only 2 weeks. We did get a whole week off at thanksgiving though and we get all of July off so I guess it's not too bad but I wish we got the 4-6 weeks the undergrads get!

We had our histo written today (practical was yesterday) but that class continues into next block and each exam is mind numbingly cumulative. There were 120-ish q's on just the written portion of the midterm today, 75-ish written q's (AT set/picture id's plus characteristics and functions) on yesterdays practical along with 19 slides to ID. Those exams are just exhausting and it's only going to get worse as we add material and they get even longer. Pretty much every exam is a cumulative final and supposedly the actual final is novel length.

We had our physio final on tuesday but we're not done with physio for a while yet either although I don't think next blocks will be cumulative from this last semester. Our cell bio exam was last friday so at least they kind of split them up plus cell bio was just a regular exam and not really a final (and that class was ridiculously easy). Tomorrow is our last small animal anatomy exam and then we're done for break. I should probably be studying but my brain is drained and nothing is sticking so I'm thinking bed is a better call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mereafter, how are you finding you like Cornell's PBL? I think it ranks somewhere between Western and other schools in terms of how much PBL they use. Just wondering if you think you're learning everything you need to :)

Ok-State is officially done with our first semester. It feels so good to be 1/8 DVM!

We're done too! Still waiting on pins and needles for my anatomy grade, but assuming I passed all is well with the world! My plan for today is to lay in bed with my poor neglected dogs and watch Netflix on my computer. It is fabulous!

Finished here in Kansas too! Time to head home to New England -hills and snow, yay!

Freedom feels good, but it's going to take a few days for the nagging feeling of cadaver and textbook withdrawal-induced dread to go away. It's only been two hours since my last exam finished, but I keep looking at the clock in horror at how much time I've let slip by since opening my notes :rolleyes:

Just finished in Edinburgh! :D

I get one week of doing absolutely nothing and then I have 2 weeks of EMS to complete (along with 14 page forms I have to fill out) before the next semester starts!!

Done here at ISU too (technically yesterday but I spent that in a sleep / cleaning frenzy).

I already feel awkward not having something to study like I just came off a weird veterinary bender of some sort :p

wooooooooooooooooooo we just ended our entire week of finals and are now on break until January 17th! The last 8 weeks were incredibly tough and challenging, but i made it out alive and am that much closer to my goal. YAY!

Hello class of 2014! This is my first post on SDN, and I hope I am not repeating a question (although I searched first!) but...

What is it like being a vet student in your respective cities? For instance, I applied to UPenn, and I am getting nervous there may be too many distractions living in such a large city (noise, etc). I'd love to here the pros and cons of where your school is situated from the perspective of a vet student...especially from students at UPenn, CSU, Michigan State, and Cornell (where I applied).

Thanks in advance for replying, and congratulations on completing your first semester in vet school!

What is it like being a vet student in your respective cities? For instance, I applied to UPenn, and I am getting nervous there may be too many distractions living in such a large city (noise, etc). I'd love to here the pros and cons of where your school is situated from the perspective of a vet student...especially from students at UPenn, CSU, Michigan State, and Cornell (where I applied).

Speaking strictly about Cornell's location and not the DVM program itself...

Pros:
- cost of living is relatively cheap (at least compared to UPenn and probably CSU too), especially if you are willing to have roommates (incidentally I do not have roommates, but living is still MUCH cheaper than when I lived with and without roommates in Philly and the Philly burbs)
- lots of fun outdoorsy stuff to do! Cayuga Lake is beautiful and there is plenty to do on it (kayaking, windsurfing, sailing, swimming, etc). The gorges are in fact beautiful, and they make for some great hiking (and snowshoeing in the winter, so I'm told). There is a ski resort about 30 mins away, although I haven't been there yet so I can't speak to size, quality, etc. I've heard good things, though. Basically if you like the outdoors, Ithaca is a great place
- if you happen to have a horse (as I do), there are lots of reasonably priced barns to choose from
- there is a LOT of great food in Ithaca, from awesome restaurants downtown to a really great local farmers market. For its size, the number of restaurants (and quality restaurants, at that) is really impressive
- public transportation in and around Ithaca seems to be good, although I have a car so I haven't used it as much as others do. As a new-to-Cornell student you get a free bus pass for your first year, and the buses in Ithaca can get you just about anywhere you need to go
- there is an airport in Ithaca, about 10 minutes away from Cornell (see cons)
- the summer and fall in Ithaca are beautiful. It doesn't often get excruciatingly hot (maybe 1 week out of the summer), and it's always nice and cool in the evening/at night which I love. I would choose Ithaca's summer and fall over NYC's or Philly's any day
- lots of fun events downtown throughout the year, including an Apple Festival, Ice Sculpture Competition, Chowder Cookoff, etc.
- not as many things to do as a larger town or city, which can make it easier to study at times (i miss being able to go to MLB games!)
- if you like ice hockey, Cornell rocks!

Cons:
- it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. You can drive an hour to Syracuse, which is a decently sized city, but honestly other than the mall and a few good restaurants there isn't much there either. It takes about 45 minutes to even get to an interstate... easy to feel isolated, even though Ithaca is a decently sized mini city itself
- it's effing cold, and it snows a lot. I haven't lived through an entire Ithaca winter yet so my understanding of just HOW cold and snowy it gets is limited, but based on what I've seen so far... it's effing cold and it kinda sucks. You will go many many days on end without actually seeing the sun.
- since the airport in Ithaca is very small, flights in and out of it are limited and expensive (Syracuse airport is a bit more reasonable, but 1 hour away)
- if you like to shop regularly/have access to stores that many would consider to be staples (Macys, Nordstrom, etc), I hope you're okay with online shopping or driving an hour to Syracuse. There's a mall in Ithaca, but depending on where you're coming from and what you're used to, there's a good chance it will disappoint you profoundly
- if you're a professional sports fan, I hope you're content with merely watching them on TV :p (having lived in/outside of NYC and Philly, this was an adjustment for me!) Along the same lines, with the exception of men's ice hockey, Cornell isn't too much of an exciting college sports school if you happen to be into that
- it's a small town (this could also be a pro, depending on how you look at it). After awhile, everyone you see starts to look familiar even if you don't actually know them, because you probably saw them in Wegmans yesterday and once last week too. You'll probably see your professors in Dunkin Donuts and the supermarket, your dean of students in the ice cream shop, and the dean of admissions at the gym (speaking from just a few months of experience)

that's all I can think of for now... if I think of more I'll add! PM me with any questions.

EDIT:
another con... although public transportation is decent, i can't imagine not having a car in ithaca. people do it, but from what i can tell it's not all that easy... and you will definitely need a car for clinics starting third year

Last edited:
Thank you thank you thank you turnbackhelly!!!

Very useful information...I am adding many of your pros/cons to my growing excel sheet for each of the schools I applied to :)

Hello class of 2014! This is my first post on SDN, and I hope I am not repeating a question (although I searched first!) but...

Thanks in advance for replying, and congratulations on completing your first semester in vet school!

Noise? lol just because it is a large city doesn't mean it is noisy everywhere. I mean, I assume you won't choose to live in center city on top of a bar right? haha I wouldn't worry about noise. As long as you stay away from the bars and the frat houses you should be fine.

I'm pretty biased when it comes to the Pros/Cons of my school so i'll just write this....It is basically the only vet school in a big city, so if you like city life, this is the place for you. The cool thing is that the school itself is on one side of the river so it is more like campus life. On the other side of the river is center city and it is AMAZINGGGGG. We make all of our class events over in center city to force us to go over there lol When we are bogged down with exams most people just go to the bars in university city.

The second most unique thing about Penn is the research. You can basically get involved with research/a job in a billion places. Right next to us is the medical school, dental school, Warton business school (if you want to get your MBA too it is ranked top 5 I think). There is also Drexel University (basically on the same campus). Temple a little bit north.

For anyone who may not get accepted this year (of course i hope this isn't the case) But I know a couple people from my class and 1 person at UCDavis now who did a masters in lab animal medicine at Drexel and they were all accepted to vet school c/o 2014 so if you're interested in that it may be a good idea. I'm not sure how many years it was but it didn't seem like a thesis masters just a 1 yr thing?? I haven't really looked into it though so you may need to do some research

Noise? lol just because it is a large city doesn't mean it is noisy everywhere. I mean, I assume you won't choose to live in center city on top of a bar right? haha I wouldn't worry about noise. As long as you stay away from the bars and the frat houses you should be fine.

I guess that is a silly thing to be worried about, lol :laugh:

I am just finishing up undergrad in Boston, and noise was a big issue for me, but I chose to live in a cheaper part of town that was not so coincidentally filled with college kids that loved to party every night of the week. I loved living in a city when I applied to UPenn, and now all I want is to move as far away from a city as I can get (not just due to noise, I swear!)....*sigh* I have two days to decide if it is worth the $400+ trip to Philly for the interview.

Enjoy your much deserved winter break :)

I guess that is a silly thing to be worried about, lol :laugh:

I am just finishing up undergrad in Boston, and noise was a big issue for me, but I chose to live in a cheaper part of town that was not so coincidentally filled with college kids that loved to party every night of the week. I loved living in a city when I applied to UPenn, and now all I want is to move as far away from a city as I can get (not just due to noise, I swear!)....*sigh* I have two days to decide if it is worth the $400+ trip to Philly for the interview.

Enjoy your much deserved winter break :)

Id say about 80% of the class lives just west of the vet school which is not in the "city" part like center city. Technically it is still philly, but you know what i mean...just houses no shops, bars, "city" type life. Just residential. I wanted to live near center city so i chose to live by the river which is 15 min walk to Penn vet and 15 min walk to the heart of the city. perfect.

You got a Penn interview and dont know if u want to go?!?!?! WTFFFFFF lol are u joking?! first of all, didnt you hear the advice "dont apply to any school you wouldnt consider attending?" Go to the interview. This is just insane, i'm going to pretend i did not read this.

It took a while for Philly to grow on me but I do like it. As BK said, center city is a lot of fun. I'm not a partyer but I like to walk around during the day and look at everything and old city is really pretty. There are still restaurants and bars around the vet school, within walking distance.

I can think of reasons to avoid Penn (it's very expensive, for example) but Philly is not one of them :)

You got a Penn interview and dont know if u want to go?!?!?! WTFFFFFF lol are u joking?! first of all, didnt you hear the advice "dont apply to any school you wouldnt consider attending?" Go to the interview. This is just insane, i'm going to pretend i did not read this.

I think I am insane. I did want go (and still would go) to UPenn when I applied. It is just so much easier to accept MSU's offer than it is to continue researching to try an decide what the ideal vet school is for me from the ones I applied to, which is turning into quite an impossible task. I thought I had it all figured out when I applied...:(

But anyway I don't want to hijack the thread's topic anymore. Sorry!

Not to hijack...BUT...

I'm not a city person and I LOVE Philly. I also live west of center city and the vet school, about 9 blocks west to be exact...it's perfect. A 15-20 min walk to school, far enough out to be away from the undergrads, in a nice quiet friendly building. Downtown Philly is great for walking around and shopping but to be honest I don't go a ton because like I said, I'm not a huge city person and not a party person.

Plus to be honest, vet school keeps me plenty busy on it's own. I'm personally really happy here though. It may not be for everyone, and it may not be for you but I love it and penn and the people here. So I'd say it's worth the price but that'sup to you :)

Did MSU offer you a seat? I thought they didn't do that until Feb.?

Did MSU offer you a seat? I thought they didn't do that until Feb.?

Yes, weirdly early. I was mailed an acceptance packet on November 9th.

And to blackcat33, gellabella, and bunnity: thanks for your input! I just booked my flight to Philly for the interview and am very happy with my decision :)

And to blackcat33, gellabella, and bunnity: thanks for your input! I just booked my flight to Philly for the interview and am very happy with my decision :)

hurrayyyy!! i think ull be impressed with the interview. hope to meet u at happy hr!!

Mereafter, how are you finding you like Cornell's PBL? I think it ranks somewhere between Western and other schools in terms of how much PBL they use. Just wondering if you think you're learning everything you need to :)

I just ranted about my opinion on Cornell's PBL in Cornell's forum. Go have a looksie if you're still interested. All in all, I thought I was going to like it and I don't. My brain doesn't function that way. We definitely learned what we needed to but the way it was taught my brain DID NOT catch on or learn the material the way I wanted it to...or the way it should have lol. :cool:

Glad you decided to go. I was 99% sure I was going to one school and then completely changed my mind - it does happen! You made the right choice by trying to give yourself more options. Plus, an interview is an interview and it's great practice. Hopefully an acceptance from another school will help you feel more confident and breath easier for this interview. Good luck! :luck:

I just ranted about my opinion on Cornell's PBL in Cornell's forum.

Cornell has a forum for their vet school students? That's pretty cool.

Oh., well that's no good. I've hought with how cluttered our e-mail system gets, A&M would be better off with a forum like this one for the vet school and just use e-mail systems for administration features. Thought Cornell had set out to do that.

I really love this thread.

So glad to see you guys all made it through the 1st semester.
CONGRATS!
Can't wait to hear about the second half!

I just got this warning from a KSU grad ('00): Beware the first semester, most schools rock you off the bat to get rid of the wannabees early.

What do you guys think of this statement? Is there any truth to it?

I just got this warning from a KSU grad ('00): Beware the first semester, most schools rock you off the bat to get rid of the wannabees early.

For Tennessee, I don't think so. It's hard, sure, but I have yet to meet any professor who actually wants to fail people or is unwilling to help when someone is having trouble with material.

At Penn, I would also say this doesn't apply. They don't "ease" you into the difficulty level as some schools do, but then they try really hard to help out people who are struggling. I really get the sense they would prefer no one fail (cynically because they need every tuition dollar they can get).

For Tennessee, I don't think so. It's hard, sure, but I have yet to meet any professor who actually wants to fail people or is unwilling to help when someone is having trouble with material.

I definitely agree. If anything, I get more of the feeling of "you made it in, so let's be sure you make it out!"
All of my experiences with the professors have been really helpful so far.

The thing I don't agree with is that it is only first semester. I think it is always going to be hard. My second year friends think that my semester was easier compared to theirs :)eek: uhoh for next year :scared:). On the other hand, our second biochem test was killer with almost half the class getting a D or an F. And our developmental anatomy test had a lot of bad grades too. I think it is really easy to get behind and before you know it, it snowballs out of control and it is very hard, if not impossible, to get caught up again. We lost one student to stress and came close to losing at least 2 more due to grades. They did try to ease us into it and there are plenty of resources; a counselor, administration and the professors themselves, but you have to seek them out. I don't think they are purposely trying to weed us out like some classes in undergrad. They know how much time, effort and money we have spent trying to get here. The interviews are for weeding out the wannabees and if you can survive the application process and the interview, I think LSU really does want you to succeed.

For comparison we started at 126 and are down to 121. Grades aren't all in yet and I would not be surprised if that number is even lower in a few weeks :(

They sent us lab assignments for ICVM II and there are only 121 people listed. Am I missing something?