You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
CLASS OF 2014...how ya doing?
Started by luplodw
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Organic Chemistry (8 hours)
Biochemistry (3 hours)
A horse (15 hands)
Microbiology (4 hours)
Genetics (3 hours)
heehee
Organic Chemistry (8 hours)
Biochemistry (3 hours)
A horse (15 hands)
Microbiology (4 hours)
Genetics (3 hours)
Nice one!I want to be a wildlife or zoo veterinarian. Am I supposed to have tiger?😱 LSU might revoke my acceptance if they find out I don't...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh man, that'd be awesome if you had to get the mascot of the school you're applying to as a pre-req. Want to go to LSU? Gotta have a tiger....UF? Gator....NCSU? A PACK OF WOLVES! lol....
hmmm, a quaker??? 🙁 lol
hmmm, a quaker??? 🙁 lol
You could always have some oatmeal on hand!
I get a cowboy!
A horse (15 hands)
Wait? So, my pony doesn't qualify. Will platform shoes help?
Oh man, that'd be awesome if you had to get the mascot of the school you're applying to as a pre-req. Want to go to LSU? Gotta have a tiger....UF? Gator....NCSU? A PACK OF WOLVES! lol....
Minnesota: a gopher!

hmmm, a quaker??? 🙁 lol
lol! and lol at the oatmeal comment too 🙂
Ohio: a tree.Oh man, that'd be awesome if you had to get the mascot of the school you're applying to as a pre-req. Want to go to LSU? Gotta have a tiger....UF? Gator....NCSU? A PACK OF WOLVES! lol....
Exciting. 😛
Heading into the home stretch towards my last day of work...I alternate between staring at the clock and wanting to run gleefully down the halls shouting "Not my problem! Not my problem!"
Congrats Tobysgirl! Last day of work! what are you doing between now and orientation? Cool vacation? You live in Christainsburg, right? so you are not moving?
How about Virginia Tech? We have a turkey, a hideous and MALE turkey. Named after local rocks. Rocks with some kind of radiation. Far more pathetic than a tree, not nearly as interesting as a pack of wolves or a tiger. Of course the vet school is a collaboration of sorts w/U of Maryland, so maybe the mascot is a turkey turtle hybrid? Infinitely more pathetic and a smidgen more interesting...esp in light of the radiation 😉.
How about Virginia Tech? We have a turkey, a hideous and MALE turkey. Named after local rocks. Rocks with some kind of radiation. Far more pathetic than a tree, not nearly as interesting as a pack of wolves or a tiger. Of course the vet school is a collaboration of sorts w/U of Maryland, so maybe the mascot is a turkey turtle hybrid? Infinitely more pathetic and a smidgen more interesting...esp in light of the radiation 😉.
Ohio: a tree.
Exciting. 😛
Hey now.
If you kind of squint, that buckeye leaf has an uncanny resemblance to a marijuana leaf. Which is um, more exciting?
Surely I'm not the only one who has noticed the resemblance. Pretty amusing when the football helmets are covered in them.
Hey now.
If you kind of squint, that buckeye leaf has an uncanny resemblance to a marijuana leaf. Which is um, more exciting?
Surely I'm not the only one who has noticed the resemblance. Pretty amusing when the football helmets are covered in them.
http://www.betterthanpants.com/ohio-it-s-a-buckeye-leaf-seriously.html
Heading into the home stretch towards my last day of work...I alternate between staring at the clock and wanting to run gleefully down the halls shouting "Not my problem! Not my problem!"
I feel the same way!!! Though I still have two weeks left...
c'mon motivation... c'mon motivation! 🙄
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey now.
If you kind of squint, that buckeye leaf has an uncanny resemblance to a marijuana leaf. Which is um, more exciting?
Surely I'm not the only one who has noticed the resemblance. Pretty amusing when the football helmets are covered in them.
When I was visiting columbus for my interview, I first saw that buckeye leaf on a poster behind the register at a gas station and my first thought was that they were selling (medicinal?) marijuana. I thought jeez, columbus really is a liberal town.
I'll take a tree over an Aggie. Or do A&M students have to own a collie? I would be ok with that.
I only have 3 days of work left!!! I cannot wait to leave!
I only have 3 days of work left!!! I cannot wait to leave!
All this talk of "buckeye" reminded me of this video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WrrKY-XT4k
Sorry, I may be going to NCSU vet school (yay, so excited!!!) but having gone to UF undergrad, I'll always be a Gator - and I remember loving all these videos when they first came out 🙂
the "#2 Kiplinger" dirty version is the best (mainly if you know the UF commercials slogan)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WrrKY-XT4k
Sorry, I may be going to NCSU vet school (yay, so excited!!!) but having gone to UF undergrad, I'll always be a Gator - and I remember loving all these videos when they first came out 🙂
the "#2 Kiplinger" dirty version is the best (mainly if you know the UF commercials slogan)
Last edited:
Or do A&M students have to own a collie?
Uh Oh. No collie here 😱 All I got myself is a true Appalachian-bred Mountain Cur
She misses her mountains and raccoons though...although armadillos make interesting substitutes. I still am not sure what an Aggie is....a farmer?We have a turkey, a hideous and MALE turkey.
To use an already used but funny pic
LOL. Don't be hatin on them Hokies!! Wait till your first football game getting yer ears blown out at Lane 😉
I'm a VT grad! And I'm local...and I still think that the hokie bird is a silly mascot. It's also a little creepy when he walks around campus trying to give people hugs...
Although the only times I've been in Lane stadium have been for graduations... I'm no football fan 😛.
Although the only times I've been in Lane stadium have been for graduations... I'm no football fan 😛.
Congrats Tobysgirl! Last day of work! what are you doing between now and orientation? Cool vacation? You live in Christainsburg, right? so you are not moving?
How about Virginia Tech? We have a turkey, a hideous and MALE turkey. Named after local rocks. Rocks with some kind of radiation. Far more pathetic than a tree, not nearly as interesting as a pack of wolves or a tiger. Of course the vet school is a collaboration of sorts w/U of Maryland, so maybe the mascot is a turkey turtle hybrid? Infinitely more pathetic and a smidgen more interesting...esp in light of the radiation 😉.
Well, I had all sorts of awesome plans for the next three weeks...And they have all sorts of awesomely fallen apart! So, I kind of figure I'm going to make it up as I go along. And, even if I just hang out around here and spend lots of time at the river or just drive east to go to the beach I think I'll be pretty ok! And thank goodness, NOT moving! I'm in BBurg, but a little off the beaten track (back off of Glade rd.). No complaints though...I love it!
And for the Hokie thing...I remember when my ex hubby and I first moved here we kept asking "But what exactly IS a hokie?" My mom tried to explain it, but it made no sense. I finally just gave up and accepted that it was a mascot with no real meaning... Though considering the number of times I've almost hit wild turkeys with my car I can't say it isn't a warrented representation.
When I was younger I thought it was fun to hug mascots. Now that I'm older? All I can think about is how someone is standing inside of and SWEATING all over that costume. *gag*
What about you? Any plans for the summer?
Well, I had awesome plans to go to Canada with my dad, but then he ended up having a minor health crisis. He'll be fine which is the most important thing, but I can't help feeling that his organs could have a better since of timing 🙂. So now I'm working on my house, getting ready for school, and trying to have as much fun as I can for my last few weeks.
Well, if you get bored and need something to do my plans include "Go outside" and "Bask in sunlight". Let me know if they overlap with yours 😉
Uh Oh. No collie here 😱 All I got myself is a true Appalachian-bred Mountain CurShe misses her mountains and raccoons though...although armadillos make interesting substitutes. I still am not sure what an Aggie is....a farmer?
We're the Aggies, but our mascot is a dog. Used to be a mutt, now it's a purebred Collie. Wish they'd go back to the mutts.
Oh definitely not the only one. For the longest time I had the largest fascination with the OSU helmets because the cameramen would never linger on them long enough that you could tell that was indeed, not a marijuana leaf. I was always trying to figure out how the hell they got it past the administration to allow marijuana leaves all over the place, much less on national TV! Then thinking, no, surely they wouldn't allow that, but what else could it be?? lolSurely I'm not the only one who has noticed the resemblance. Pretty amusing when the football helmets are covered in them.
We're the Aggies, but our mascot is a dog. Used to be a mutt, now it's a purebred Collie. Wish they'd go back to the mutts.
We're Aggies too, but our mascot is a blue horse named Gunrock after a real Thoroughbred.
I'm kind of excited that CSU actually has a mascot! My undergrad didn't have one at all. It was just blue. Not even a cool color like Stanford's "Cardinal Red" (and they have that tree for everything too, even if it's not an official mascot)
just blue... how boring.
just blue... how boring.
I'm kind of excited that CSU actually has a mascot! My undergrad didn't have one at all. It was just blue. Not even a cool color like Stanford's "Cardinal Red" (and they have that tree for everything too, even if it's not an official mascot)
just blue... how boring.
Cam the Ram is pretty sweet too. I got to run him across the football field once during undergrad. He runs across everytime CSU gets a touchdown...which isn't too often (I'm sure he prefers it that way).
Well Auburn had an awesome tiger named Aubie and at every football game we had either a golden eagle or a bald eagle fly around the stadium then land in the center of the field as everyone yelled war eagle! (our battle cry-kind of confusing to some people)
And for the Hokie thing...I remember when my ex hubby and I first moved here we kept asking "But what exactly IS a hokie?" My mom tried to explain it, but it made no sense. I finally just gave up and accepted that it was a mascot with no real meaning...
The answer to "So, what is a Hokie?" is always....."I AM!"

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just chiming in on the mascot discussion.
I recently met a few VMRCVM students and asked them to explain the whole Hokie thing to me. I still don't get it.
As for my school's mascot...it's a lumberjack...pretty ridiculous. Though it'd make sense if my school went for a cannabis mascot haha
I recently met a few VMRCVM students and asked them to explain the whole Hokie thing to me. I still don't get it.
As for my school's mascot...it's a lumberjack...pretty ridiculous. Though it'd make sense if my school went for a cannabis mascot haha
Okay, here's the scoop on the Hokies--http://www.vt.edu/about/hokie.html
and actually, I was wrong about the stone--the stone was named after the school.
and actually, I was wrong about the stone--the stone was named after the school.
So I just had my first test!! It was in immunology. I studied a ton for it. I thought I knew it in and out. I was for sure I was going to get a high A. Well my class is team taught so part of the test was from one teacher and part was from another teacher. One teacher's part was super duper easy. The other one was overly tricky. He asked questions about things he specifically said not to know. He also asked questions over things that we never even talked about and wasn't in our notes or anywhere. I guess we will see what my grade is soon....Overall it was just like a test in undergrad
So I just had my first test!! It was in immunology. I studied a ton for it. I thought I knew it in and out. I was for sure I was going to get a high A. Well my class is team taught so part of the test was from one teacher and part was from another teacher. One teacher's part was super duper easy. The other one was overly tricky. He asked questions about things he specifically said not to know. He also asked questions over things that we never even talked about and wasn't in our notes or anywhere. I guess we will see what my grade is soon....Overall it was just like a test in undergrad
That's so awesome! (In a terrifying kind of way!) Let us know how you did!
So I just had my first test!! It was in immunology. I studied a ton for it. I thought I knew it in and out. I was for sure I was going to get a high A. Well my class is team taught so part of the test was from one teacher and part was from another teacher. One teacher's part was super duper easy. The other one was overly tricky. He asked questions about things he specifically said not to know. He also asked questions over things that we never even talked about and wasn't in our notes or anywhere. I guess we will see what my grade is soon....Overall it was just like a test in undergrad
oman this is scary even for me who didnt take the test lol i hope you get it back soon and i hope you did above avg!! 😀 but even getting avg would be a huge accomplishment for your first vet exam!!! that is what i am worried about, being below avg 🙁 but im sure we will all be fine! it is nice to hear you say it was similar to an undergrad exam. Im not sure what i was expecting lol but i guess i put vet exams on a pedestal (can you say pedestal in terms of hardness??) haha
Well even if you were, 49% of your class will be below average too. Now, in a normal distribution of say, the general public, that'd be less than stellar, but in a vet school, that still puts you in pretty good stead.that is what i am worried about, being below avg 🙁
Well even if you were, 49% of your class will be below average too. Now, in a normal distribution of say, the general public, that'd be less than stellar, but in a vet school, that still puts you in pretty good stead.
Oh i just thought since avg is usually C, then below avg would be less...and most schools dont accept anything lower than a C. So i figured below avg=fail lol is this the wrong way of thinking? i mean, I heard they never curve (at least that is what i heard about Penn) and they say avg is a C so it seems right to think that way
Oh we're using two different definitions of average then. I thought you meant average as in below the class average on a test or something, not average as in C.
And no, to my knowledge curving isn't the norm. Was just using a bell curve as an illustration of others being below average.
And no, to my knowledge curving isn't the norm. Was just using a bell curve as an illustration of others being below average.
Oh we're using two different definitions of average then. I thought you meant average as in below the class average on a test or something, not average as in C.
And no, to my knowledge curving isn't the norm. Was just using a bell curve as an illustration of others being below average.
oh ok back to this then
lolWell Auburn had an awesome tiger named Aubie and at every football game we had either a golden eagle or a bald eagle fly around the stadium then land in the center of the field as everyone yelled war eagle! (our battle cry-kind of confusing to some people)
yeah... a family friend followed me there after a lifetime of brainwashing by my family and his family always said "go war eagles!" ...*facepalm* we try to teach them...
It's pretty much the best, though!
y'all crazy.....
flyhi, (just glanced at your little profile thingie) didn't know you were in that area (Hilton Head)!!! I miss Hunting and Harbor Island, and Gay's seafood!!! 🙂
Last edited:
yeah... a family friend followed me there after a lifetime of brainwashing by my family and his family always said "go war eagles!" ...*facepalm* we try to teach them...
It's pretty much the best, though!
When I graduated high school someone gave me a shirt that had embroidered on it "war eagles"...Lets just say I never wore it hah
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so I haven't started vet school yet, but I just took a 41 question online practice test on the first chapter of our anatomy book and I got 97%! Woo hoo! It's supposed to be similar to the real exams but much, much shorter. So this boosts my confidence level from zero to just a very tiny, little bit above zero 

Okay so I haven't started vet school yet, but I just took a 41 question online practice test on the first chapter of our anatomy book and I got 97%! Woo hoo! It's supposed to be similar to the real exams but much, much shorter. So this boosts my confidence level from zero to just a very tiny, little bit above zero![]()
which anatomy book?
which anatomy book?
Miller's Guide to the Dissection of the Dog
Okay so I haven't started vet school yet, but I just took a 41 question online practice test on the first chapter of our anatomy book and I got 97%! Woo hoo! It's supposed to be similar to the real exams but much, much shorter. So this boosts my confidence level from zero to just a very tiny, little bit above zero![]()
Careful with the pre-studying! You don't want to burn out before school even starts! Lol.
Congrats on your anatomy knowledge!
Careful with the pre-studying! You don't want to burn out before school even starts! Lol.
Congrats on your anatomy knowledge!
Haha! No worries! I don't think the 5 pages burned me out 🙂 Other then that I've just been reviewing basic biochemistry stuff (re-memorizing the amino acids). I just want to try to get a little ahead for the first week so it's not too much of a shock, though I know it still will be no matter what I do!