Class of 2015... How ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know what you mean, THR. And I'm sorry you can't find an out. Have you talk to management about the bolded part?
Have you and the hubs considered moving further south? There's tons of work in NOVA, Richmond, VA beach/eastern shore, even down here in the mountains.

Unfortunately management consists of my boss (the owner) who is childish and immature at best. He doesn't consider the problems to be problems and becomes very defensive very quickly if there's so much as a shadow of insinuation that something could be improved upon. Essentially, I have to function in part as a tech because he doesn't want to pay to hire enough people to help us out.

As for moving, a good thought but not really an option. Husband's job is excellent pay/benefits and he's been there for nearly 10 years with more room for promotion still ahead. We bought a lovely place that is SO much quieter than NOVA/MoCo area and we love it, good school districts for upcoming kids, etc.

Thank you all for reading @Lupin21 @WildZoo and @DVMDream, I really do appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately management consists of my boss (the owner) who is childish and immature at best. He doesn't consider the problems to be problems and becomes very defensive very quickly if there's so much as a shadow of insinuation that something could be improved upon. Essentially, I have to function in part as a tech because he doesn't want to pay to hire enough people to help us out.

As for moving, a good thought but not really an option. Husband's job is excellent pay/benefits and he's been there for nearly 10 years with more room for promotion still ahead. We bought a lovely place that is SO much quieter than NOVA/MoCo area and we love it, good school districts for upcoming kids, etc.

Thank you all for reading @Lupin21 @WildZoo and @DVMDream, I really do appreciate it :)

Sorry, TRH. :( I hope you find something soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry you have to deal with that, TRH. Hope you find something else that will actually work out!

Anyone else's workplaces have ridiculous dental health months? We have been doing 5-6 dentals per day, mainly because the entire COHAT, including extractions and rads, is 20% off, and if someone calls before the end of the day, we will honor the discount for another 2 weeks so they can schedule it. It's crazy to me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry you have to deal with that, TRH. Hope you find something else that will actually work out!

Anyone else's workplaces have ridiculous dental health months? We have been doing 5-6 dentals per day, mainly because the entire COHAT, including extractions and rads, is 20% off, and if someone calls before the end of the day, we will honor the discount for another 2 weeks so they can schedule it. It's crazy to me...
I've always been impressed with the number of people that flock to a deal such as dental health month. But I always like cleaning teeth and watching extractions, so we shall see if that changes in the future. haha

It hasn't been that busy for us, we did 2-4/day this month (I hate cat dentals!:mad:). The practice kind of frowns upon "dental health month" because they feel like "dental health month every month" is more appropriate (I'm apathetic on the situation). So we gave/are giving a 10% discount for the months of January-March, and extend a 5% discount throughout the rest of the year if the dental is done within 30 days of its recommendation.

Feeling so stuck where I am. None of the jobs I've applied to have come through- I'm under qualified/they've found someone else/whatever. On an intellectual level I understand that it is not my fault and is not a reflection of me as a person or as a veterinarian but damn do I feel like a dud. My skills as a technician are improving while my skills as a doctor feel as though they're rotting away. The environment feels more and more toxic every day. I know on some level it's my acknowledgement that I'm unhappy that's allowing me to feel more and more unhappy, a vicious cycle or whatever, and I'm trying desperately to look at every day at work as an opportunity to just better myself as a doctor, build my skills, etc. But it's a rough time for me right now :( And sorry to keep filling this thread with my mopery but I'm sure my husband is tired of hearing it.

If you ever have a day off and want to come hang at my work you are more than welcome to. Or if you just want to meet up and talk doctor stuff.

If you have any interest in mixed animal (prob mostly SA, a day or so of LA, some surgery because I hate spays, but on call for large animal only) shoot us a resume. I don't think we've officially started the hiring process but it will be happening soon.

I'm so over dental month. So stupid. We don't even give that great of a deal and yet people sign up like crazy. I'm ready for all the dental BS to be over.

I'm so over dental month. So stupid. We don't even give that great of a deal and yet people sign up like crazy. I'm ready for all the dental BS to be over.

Lol no kidding.

I'd much prefer offering a discount year-round if performed within 2 weeks of recommendation (maybe smaller discount if within a month?).

And ugh, cat dentals... Don't get me started.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol no kidding.

I'd much prefer offering a discount year-round if performed within 2 weeks of recommendation (maybe smaller discount if within a month?).

And ugh, cat dentals... Don't get me started.
The last 3 cat dentals I did all had 409 or 309 extracted (in addition to other teeth). I hate working all the way back there! There's no room! And then that molar pad/gland always wants to come and play when you are trying to close the site!!

The last 3 cat dentals I did all had 409 or 309 extracted (in addition to other teeth). I hate working all the way back there! There's no room! And then that molar pad/gland always wants to come and play when you are trying to close the site!!

One of my techs keeps telling clients "the doctors don't recommend extractions because they like doing them". I think the time has come we need to record me during a ****ty dental so people see how much I run my mouth at their dogs' and cats' teeth.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a client tell me she didn't need a script for an antibiotic for her dog because she had that antibiotic already at home leftover. I went through the antibiotic resistance spiel and got an enormous eye roll/sigh combo. Nothing makes me rage quite like that response.

One of my techs keeps telling clients "the doctors don't recommend extractions because they like doing them". I think the time has come we need to record me during a ****ty dental so people see how much I run my mouth at their dogs' and cats' teeth.

Extracting #209 today....thought I had drilled all the roots into nice, single roots...get the first root out perfectly, going for caudal root.... "Crack"! And crown comes off.

Me: "****, eff piece of crap, I hate your stupid mouth dog"

Extracting #209 today....thought I had drilled all the roots into nice, single roots...get the first root out perfectly, going for caudal root.... "Crack"! And crown comes off.

Me: "****, eff piece of crap, I hate your stupid mouth dog"

Yuuup. Grr.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an offer that would extend my contract by either 6 mos or 1 yr (my choice), with the option to go full time if business picks up once the new clinic is open. They have also agreed to sell me some equipment they are replacing in the new building for next to nothing, which is awesome. SO and I have an end goal of starting our own practice so I think storage of all that stuff is worth it in the long run.

SO and I get married 2 months from today. I would have been happy to elope, but I guess he deserves at least one big wedding in his lifetime :p . I recently had a belt buckle made for him, since he can't wear rings at work. Wish I could share it, but I don't really want to give out my future last name... Anyway, if anyone is into that kind of stuff, Molly's Custom Silver was freaking awesome to work with and it turned out nicer than I could have imagined. I completely failed at keeping it a surprise because of how ecstatic I was when it arrived...

So I'm kind of stuck. There's a job position for the field I had originally intended on upon entering vet school. It's a contractor position (and I don't even think it exists at this point) and I technically don't have enough experience for it right now (1yr short of their smallest time requirement) but wondering if I should apply anyway. I just can't see myself in GP forever. The one that was going to be through my old job is WAY over my head and I would be embarrassed to even submit my resume :\

So I'm kind of stuck. There's a job position for the field I had originally intended on upon entering vet school. It's a contractor position (and I don't even think it exists at this point) and I technically don't have enough experience for it right now (1yr short of their smallest time requirement) but wondering if I should apply anyway. I just can't see myself in GP forever. The one that was going to be through my old job is WAY over my head and I would be embarrassed to even submit my resume :\
For what it's worth, I think you should apply and see. The worst they can say is no.

Reactions: 8 users
So it turns out leaving is a really good way to watch your co-workers bend over backwards trying to keep you. Which is touching, but ultimately fruitless. I am not confident in the ability of anything to change long term under the current management.

My horse is lame in the RF and shifting between the hindlimbs. I guess I'm refreshing my eq PE skills this weekend.

Work is good. Getting to do lots of procedures and learning every week from my boss and associate.

Wedding stuff could be better. I'm not stressed by planning, because it's all planned, but both my mom and his mom are stressing BIG TIME that they don't know all the details. One of them is talking to people behind our backs, and the other is being a giant B to our faces. I don't think they realize how awful they are being.

Wedding stuff could be better. I'm not stressed by planning, because it's all planned, but both my mom and his mom are stressing BIG TIME that they don't know all the details. One of them is talking to people behind our backs, and the other is being a giant B to our faces. I don't think they realize how awful they are being.

Weddings: when everyone says, "it's your day, do whatever you want!" and then tries to make sure you get nothing you want.

Seriously though, my stepmom, my father-in-law, and my grandmother were all extremely difficult to deal with up to and including the day of our wedding. I feel your pain. Ignore them the best you can!

Thanks, we are trying to do that. It's hard when people aren't being reasonable adults.

Other news, my fiance's old bloodhound is pissing all over the house and my cat has a new mass... And don't get me started on international CVI's :bang:

With two of the docs away, I ended up doing my first enucleation and my first cystotomy today. Luckily housemate brought me food, because as soon as I finished the enucleation tonight I had to drive out to see a foal emergency.

Reactions: 6 users
With two of the docs away, I ended up doing my first enucleation and my first cystotomy today. Luckily housemate brought me food, because as soon as I finished the enucleation tonight I had to drive out to see a foal emergency.

Haven't done an enucleation yet but cystotomies are my FAVORITE :love:

Both animals came through with flying colours but I'm anxious that they're gonna come back with horrible post-op complications cause I screwed something up. This is why I hate surgery!!
As someone who is applying to vet school this year, I've always wondered how you do procedures you haven't had hands on experience with. Do you learn how to do all these types of surgeries in vet school but don't necessarily get a chance to perform them? Do you perform your first one with a doctor who has done them before? Do you google it?

As someone who is applying to vet school this year, I've always wondered how you do procedures you haven't had hands on experience with. Do you learn how to do all these types of surgeries in vet school but don't necessarily get a chance to perform them? Do you perform your first one with a doctor who has done them before? Do you google it?
Ideally you have another more experienced doc scrubbed in with you. But we don't live in a perfect world and there's a long tradition of having a tech hold the surgery textbook while you're scrubbed in. You learn general surgical principles in school and maybe do some cadaver surgeries and armed with that and some anatomy knowledge you tackle it, because sometimes it's either you or the surgery doesn't happen.

Ideally you have another more experienced doc scrubbed in with you. But we don't live in a perfect world and there's a long tradition of having a tech hold the surgery textbook while you're scrubbed in. You learn general surgical principles in school and maybe do some cadaver surgeries and armed with that and some anatomy knowledge you tackle it, because sometimes it's either you or the surgery doesn't happen.
Yup. That is why I try to stress to students that actually learning how to read and interpret text is extremely important. Not always going to have someone there to explain it and show. Text and diagrams is sometimes all you've got to go on.

Same way you do anything you haven't had hands-on experience with: you learn. :)

Whether that's "learn by trying," or "google," or "crack a textbook," or "phone a colleague to come help" .... just depends on what it is and how confident you are you can muddle through it. They are all viable options.

My first cat unblock I just muddled through. My first GDV I called in a colleague. My first foreign body, ditto. My first enucleation, just winged it with a textbook open. My first, second, third, and fourth Ehmer slings for luxated femurs I followed a great youtube video (and then I quit doing Ehmer slings - I don't sling luxated femurs anymore at all). First paraphimosis, winged it (with lots and lots of lube, cold water, and sugar).

You get the idea.

There are way more procedures than you can get 'do' (even on just a cadaver) in vet school. At some point you have to get comfortable either plowing through it, or knowing when that's a bad idea and either turfing to another doctor or getting someone to help you.

Reactions: 8 users
So I've decided to apply to a residency again this year, ack! Things are not sustainable at my current place so I figure what better time to (re)attempt the field I've been wanting? I'm limited to one, maybe two programs due to location which is...sub-optimal but I figure I owe myself at least a second shot at it. Wish me luck :)

Reactions: 18 users
Best of luck, TRH!

One of my best friends let his dog out off leash in the city last night (he never walked her with a leash before either). She bolted when fireworks went off and was HBC pretty much immediately after getting out of his sight, but he found out this morning. I feel horrible that he lost such a companion but I still will never understand why people take that chance. :(

Best of luck, TRH!

One of my best friends let his dog out off leash in the city last night (he never walked her with a leash before either). She bolted when fireworks went off and was HBC pretty much immediately after getting out of his sight, but he found out this morning. I feel horrible that he lost such a companion but I still will never understand why people take that chance. :(

Liking the support, not the HBC :( I always keep my dog on-leash too - it's just not worth HBC or dog fight or whatever.

Things are going pretty good at the new clinic. I met with one of the docs from my old clinic a few weeks ago when I went back to pack up the house. He asked if I'd ever come back. I told him probably not, but especially not if I'd be on call again. It's been so nice to have an emergency clinic to refer to. When I'm done for the day, I'm done. I can actually practice the kind of medicine that I want to without someone breathing down my neck about cost all the time. I don't have to scrounge for technicians. I'm not picking up slack from the other doctors because we each have our own appointment slots. Is it perfect? Nope. But it's so much better. Even though it messed up my romantic life and was a huge upheaval, it's been so worth it.

Reactions: 11 users
Fellow residents, we have officially survived the first year. Congrats! Crazy.

I've heard 2nd year is often the hardest to get through because it's no longer new and shiny, but also super far off from finishing, however, short of another close family member dying, this upcoming year cannot possibly be worse than year 1 for me. We shall see.

Yeah! Congrats to all finishing year one of residency!

I can't believe I've been doing SA for a year. Some days I love it, other days I just want to go live with the cows I'm my neighbor's pasture and not come back.

I'm officially Dr. New-Name with the state now but I haven't made the transition at work because we just moved into the new building about a month ago and people are having a hard enough time with that change.

Every goddamn crazy person was out in full force today. It started without computers because they were trying to update our Cornerstone software overnight and the update failed leaving us with no records, no rads, no bloodwork nothing. So receptionists are frantically trying to reschedule things, but there was a huge cell outage over the entirety of Eastern Canada so we couldn't get in contact with a lot of them. (Management bought us pizza so that's something?) Finally get computers back around 1PM. I have too seemingly easy appointments plus a few call backs, all of which are fairly lengthy discussions about treatment options. 4:00 rolls around and receptionist asks if they can send a female FLUTD cat to me because sister clinic is booked up. Cat has been having signs for 3 days I'd like to add. I agree to see the cat cause well it's income. Waiting for that, lady comes in ranting about a dead cat that's not hers and won't seem to take "I can't tell you anything, you're not the owner, no you can't see the dead frozen cat (wtf really)" as answer. 4:30 and FLUTD cat isn't here yet. One receptionist asks if I can see a tail laceration while waiting for this other cat. Nope. Other receptionist says there's a walk-in, dog has been drooling excessively all day. Nope nope nope both of you go to emerg, that's what they're there for. FLUTD cat arrives 4:45 and tries to kill my tech. Sedate, examine, no bladder to cysto unfortunately, send home with meds and instructions to PLEASE FEED THE DAMN FOOD WE TOLD YOU TO FEED 2 YEARS AGO.

Thank god its a long weekend.

Last edited:
I'd say it was the full moon, but I think that's still a few days off. Ugh, this weeeeeek . . .
We're closed on the full moon so maybe all the crazy had to happen early?

At one point I apologized to my tech and receptionist cause I was being legitimately bitchy but I told them it wasn't aimed at them. Receptioniat answers: "Oh I know it's not aimed at us, I find it entertaining.":cat:

I worked Thursday completely solo. I haven't had THAT many solo shifts, aside from a few individual emergencies as an intern, a few weeks of farm calls (where I still was expected to talk to a Dr. so I would have clinician oversight), and a couple of Saturdays and <5 weekdays at my current job.

Thursday was a beast. No surgeries scheduled, 3 inpatients, scheduled full of appts for sick animals (and like 2 puppy wellness's). I diagnosed a dog with cancer, a dog with urinary stones, a dog with Lyme, a cat with asthma AND fleas, saw a dog with a 6 year history of biting the owner, plus some other stuff that I don't remember. It was crazy. But I did it. And I didn't stay that long after my shift ended. I only lost my cool once (convenience euth request... Owner was a jackwagon). And at the end of it, my tech reminded me that I helped a lot of animals that day.

Long story short, when you feel like you've been hit by a bus into a brick wall, you probably feel like ****, but you also helped a lot of families.

Reactions: 7 users
So I had a euth yesterday that kinda took it all out of me.

This 55-60 yo couple brings in their old golden for lethargy / weakness / etc. It rolls in, I do my exam, wave the pericardial effusion flag, and roll it into ultrasound to take a peek.

It's got the expected pericardial effusion, a right atrial mass, its spleen has multiple cavitated splenic nodules, a few similar nodules in the liver ... all in all a slam dunk advanced hemangiosarcoma dx. Ok, sucks, but whatevs. Not like you won't see it every other day.

Go into the consult room... the guy is obviously ill appearing. I notice he has enormous abdominal distension on his side. Tell them what's going on. They both start crying and indicate they adopted the this sweetheart of a golden a month ago because the guy is dying (cancer) and wanted an end-of-life companion. It's only been a month, but they LOVE this golden. But he expected to outlive the golden. Now he's faced with his end-of-life partner dying pretty soon.

They decide to euthanize. Three times during the euth the guy asks me - in all seriousness - if I can just do him at the same time.

Chalk that up to one of the most heart-wrenching euths I've had in months.

Chalk that up to one of the most heart-wrenching euths I've had in months.
That sounds like a real tough one. I hate the ones that really, really get to you. The ones that keep you up at night. I had one similar to yours recently. I'm sorry, LIS

I'm sorry LIS. The closest I've come to that has been the little-old-lady clients, but I have a theory that the closer a euth is to the owner's death, the harder it is on everyone.

On a happier note, I ended last week with a successful C-section, all angry at a world where people think indiscriminately breeding their pit bull is a good idea. Last night I saw the same client again (because the stud has prostatitis) and I asked about the bitch while getting my history. And not only are mom and all five puppies doing well . . . but, the owners have discovered that puppies are a lot more work than they were expecting. And now they're talking about getting dad neutered once the prostatitis clears up. :soexcited:

I'm sorry LIS. The closest I've come to that has been the little-old-lady clients, but I have a theory that the closer a euth is to the owner's death, the harder it is on everyone.

On a happier note, I ended last week with a successful C-section, all angry at a world where people think indiscriminately breeding their pit bull is a good idea. Last night I saw the same client again (because the stud has prostatitis) and I asked about the bitch while getting my history. And not only are mom and all five puppies doing well . . . but, the owners have discovered that puppies are a lot more work than they were expecting. And now they're talking about getting dad neutered once the prostatitis clears up. :soexcited:
I am immensely tired, and I read "prostitutes" and had to do a serious double take

Today I had one of those days where it seemed like I was trying to do 4 things at once at all times, but I didn't even really accomplish anything.