Class of 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think SDN should implement the "weakest link" poll, and every month someone should be voted off the forum. There are some outlier on the site that really bring down the average.

... plus, it would be a lot of fun.

Amazing idea!

Accepted today! I interviewed Feb 25, and I'm so happy... I looooove SC! :D

Holy crap!

I am so so happy for you! I've been rooting for you all along.

Sometimes when you see some people win it makes you genuinely happy inside. This is one of those times. Very very excited that you did it.

Animal pics to express my emotional state:

smile1.jpg

smiling-dog-2.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll venture a guess: chilling after a long day of burninating the countryside. :)

This, clearly :hungover:

Nah, mostly I be celebrating after finally getting all those nonsense fin aid forms finished and turned in...yay!

Btw, what specialties is everyone in here considering.

I need a stereotypical personality to throw onto each of you.

Me: Ortho/Otolaryngology/GS + some random fellowship

I know Cliff/Rhino lean the Ortho way and GC was either OB/GYN or something, what about the rest?

Pons? I see as Radiologist or Rad Onc, no?

Longshanks I see going after a R.O.A.D.

Cougar, I have no read on... or maybe Psych or is that because of your avatar?

Torr, new to me so I don't know.

Medzealot, Plastics.

Baller has to be surgery too, right?

Lol. Fun to guess. Laterzzzz.

I know Cliff/Rhino lean the Ortho way and GC was either OB/GYN or something, what about the rest?

Medzealot, Plastics.

Thanks for remembering, this is definitely true. However, I'm also getting interested in anesthesia pain management as well.

Edit, I also see medzealot as a plastics 90210 type. I kinda see flowrate in a pediatric sub-specialty, so he can wear his bow tie to work.

I'M ACCEPTED to my numero uno. :eek: Excuse me while I cry tears of joy in a corner somewhere.

I missed this a couple days ago. Congrats!!!!! I knew you would get in! I'm so happy for you! Also, I love that avatar! I hope you're still out celebrating ;)

Specialty: very interested in peds, likely neonatal critical care.

Last edited:
Excuse me while I cry tears of joy in a corner somewhere.
I missed this a couple days ago. Congrats!!!!! I knew you would get in! I'm so happy for you! Also, I love that avatar! I hope you're still out celebrating ;)

Daisy is so full of win :)

Thanks for remembering, this is definitely true. However, I'm also getting interested in anesthesia pain management as well.

Edit, I also see medzealot as a plastics 90210 type. I kinda see flowrate in a pediatric sub-specialty, so he can wear his bow tie to work.

Medzealot definitely is plastics 90210, to a T.

Flowrate needs to be in Peds Cardiology with that bow tie. :)

The thing I always hear about Anesthesia is, "hours of boredom sprinkled with seconds of pure terror."

Medzealot, Plastics.

Cougs is just as gung ho as Ob/Gyn as I am, if not more. :)

And for me, yeah, my top three interests are 2 subspecialties of Ob/Gyn (reproductive endocrinology/infertility and maternal-fetal medicine) and neonatology, which is a peds subspecialty. I have some other interests as well, but yeah, those are the top.

Cougs is just as gung ho as Ob/Gyn as I am, if not more. :)

And for me, yeah, my top three interests are 2 subspecialties of Ob/Gyn (reproductive endocrinology/infertility and maternal-fetal medicine) and neonatology, which is a peds subspecialty. I have some other interests as well, but yeah, those are the top.

Gyno girls

[YOUTUBE]4pxRtLF8TWs[/YOUTUBE]

I'm sick of vag lately. I'm thinking surgery.

Also....I see medzealot as a Peds guy. Chicks will dig him. It will be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
critical care medicine/interventional pulmonology or CT/Thoracic surgery.

CCM/pulmonology has always been my main interest, but I have been falling in love with the procedures related to CT surgery for the past year...

The thing I always hear about Anesthesia is, "hours of boredom sprinkled with seconds of pure terror."
Don't get me wrong, ortho is still my #1, but...

Anesthesia has some appeal to me, for these reasons:

1.) All of your time is spent in the OR, and you get to work in that team environment every day.

2.) Procedural work includes intubation, epidurals, IVs, nerve blocks, blood patches, etc...

3.) Relatively great hours, with even better pay.

4.) Unlike most physicians, anesthesia docs don't have to pay for a staff (overhead). So if they want to take time off for vacations or service work, it is easier and less costly for them to do so.

With that said, I prefer a specialty where my patients are awake some of the time, so sub specializing in pain management is MORE appealing, for these reasons:

1.) Similar to ortho, there is a lot of potential to improve patients quality of life in a short amount of time. Being able to relieve chronic pain makes a huge impact on the patient's life.

2.) Variety of work, including treatment of hospitalized in-patients, seeing out-patients in a pain clinic, and having at least one procedure day per week for epidural steroid injections, joint injections, pulsed radiofrequency treatments, percutaneous disc decompressions, nerve blocks, intrathecal pump implants, etc...

3.) Relatively good hours.

4.) Good pay.

Someone want to explain why Eliot is considering an ob/gyn residency during her internal medicine residency? oh wait... I just remembered it's tv. nevermind

Medzealot, Plastics.

:laugh:

That's pretty funny. I consider myself a competitive person and driven, but actually I'm looking more toward EM or IM at this stage. I would probably pursue Infectious Disease or Oncology if I went the IM route. Keeping an open mind towards surgery though. I need more of that one-on-one contact though. A mentor of mine told me I should go for GI since I'm "too nice and sociable" for EM lol. A med student friend of mine envisions me going Peds, but I disagree with her, though I am good with kids.

Last edited:
Hey Rhino, did you know that you can do a pain fellowship after a psych or neuro residency? kinda werid huh.

poor family docs, they need more options.. :(

Holy crap!

I am so so happy for you! I've been rooting for you all along.

Sometimes when you see some people win it makes you genuinely happy inside. This is one of those times. Very very excited that you did it.
Thanks so much MCAT guy and eablackwell! :D

Medzealot, Plastics.

I'm considering ophthalmology, but I'd like to learn more about ENT as well. I better kill it on the Step 1 in 2 years then, huh? :laugh:

Hey Rhino, did you know that you can do a pain fellowship after a psych or neuro residency? kinda werid huh.

poor family docs, they need more options.. :(
I knew there were other routes, but I wasn't sure what they were. I am also unsure of whether one is better than another. I did a mentorship program with a pain management doc, and he went the anesthesia route, so that is where my familiarity with the field comes from.

Medzealot, Plastics.

Academic rad onc for me. :cool:

How about all of science? Jk...I have been leaning with GC towards OB/ rep endo or a NICU or other peds sub like cardio. Who knows...choices choices!

I do love the NICU.

Are you a girl or a boy, Lime? I know nothing about you:)

Sorry, I have not shared more info. I am a girl, and I have a one year old key lime (ok just jumping on with the chicklet from GC). I am up in the pacific NW. My love of margaritas, coronas and Jimmy Buffett and my desire to escape the rain and cold for beach bumming explains my name :).

Just had a long conversation about this yesterday. At this point I'm really not sure and better at eliminating options than I am at choosing one.

Still keep saying I should just keep an open mind but I'm being told that I should start leaning towards somethin.

Anyway, the three I'll throw out are Rads, Surgery (really hope not but I'm definitely interested) and ..........Pathology? :eyebrow: Only because it's semi-related to what I do now.

I'm sick of vag lately.

Lol. I think I would be too. When my friend had her Ob/Gyn rotation she could not stop complaining about how tired of vajingos she was. Now I'm going in expecting to hate it. Who knows though.

Medzealot definitely is plastics 90210, to a T.

Please indulge me in a little explanation...I don't see this guy as very WINNING.

MedZ you're totally a Christian Troy. Dr. Rey is so strange to me.

Nip-Tuck-TV-029.jpg

Dr%20Christian%20Troy%203-8x6.jpg

At work still!! :( Got another hour or two and I'm freee

Sorry, I have not shared more info. I am a girl, and I have a one year old key lime (ok just jumping on with the chicklet from GC). I am up in the pacific NW. My love of margaritas, coronas and Jimmy Buffett and my desire to escape the rain and cold for beach bumming explains my name :).
Awwwwwwwwwww

That is the cutest thing ever:)

D'aww! Boy or girl?

D'aww! Boy or girl?

Boy...although the kid has girl pretty curls. If he ever has a sister, she better get them too or there will be a big green eyed monster!

Thanks Coug! I have been watching Psych on Netflix lately too.

Torr...thanks for the eye candy Christian Troy pics ;).

I'm keeping my mind open.

All I know is...NO OPHTHO!! Daisy be cray-cray.

Amen, sister.

As far as surgical subspecialties go, I have to say I'm most interested in ENT, and that stems pretty much entirely from how incredibly impressed I was with Chicklet's immediate improvement after her tubes. Ortho interests me to, to a degree, but I tend to alternate between :cool: and :barf: when watching ortho surgeries on Youtube.

Well, I'm kind of an organization nut sometimes and I love lists...

So here is the 2015 "Interests before I started" Specialty List:

rHinO1: Ortho / Anesthesia
eablackwell: peds / neonatal critical care
MCAT guy: Ortho / ENT / General Surgery
Geekchick921: Ob/Gyn / neonatology
CougarMD: Surgery
medzealot: Plastics
Hoody: critical care medicine / interventional pulmonology / Thoracic surgery
Longshanks: EM / IM (oncology/ID)
Daisy: Ophthalmology / ENT
Kaushik: Academic Rad Onc
Limetime: GC / Ob/Gyn / Peds
Torr: Rads / Surgery / Path

feel free to copy/paste add yourself to the list!

I really wanna do pediatric cardiac surgery...love kids...have had heart surgery myself and i have a steady hand...

I'll letchu know in 15 years if I'm still in that fellowship or not lol

That's a pretty sexy specialty list we have here. ;)

Amen, sister.

Ortho interests me to, to a degree, but I tend to alternate between :cool: and :barf: when watching ortho surgeries on Youtube.

I've been pretty set on No for Ortho. I won't even let myself consider it right now.

Awesome! I was just sayin to myself I'm definitely checking back in a few years to see what the naive, wide-eyed Torr was thinkin.

We're pretty sexy people.

Also, I love that Daisy has been called my lady at LEAST twice today. You must bring it out in people, D.

I want one of these:
http://rainyeeyore.home.comcast.net/~rainyeeyore/
1. Yes we are pretty sexy people. MCAT guy refuses to gchat or facebook with us so I've never seen him, but I'm confident he's pretty sexy too.
2. I guess I just seem fancier since I have my acceptance, but I'm not complaining about being called "my lady" :cool:
3. What the what is that animal? It looks like something you shouldn't get wet or feed after midnight.
I've been pretty set on No for Ortho. I won't even let myself consider it right now.
I am short and have zero upper body strength. I just don't think I was built for ortho. I do know that I would prefer working in a male-dominated field though... after all, biatches be crazy.

MedZ you're totally a Christian Troy. Dr. Rey is so strange to me.

I knew this was the guy from Nip/Tuck but I've never seen it so I did a little googling.

Christian Troy is initially characterized as a self-absorbed womanizer. He drives flashy cars, wears Gucci suits, and frequents Miami's best nightclubs.
However, the character is eventually shown to have a vulnerable side beneath his callous exterior.

Misunderstood lothario? That's pretty WIN. I'll take that as my sdn persona for a while.

I've been told by a few SDNers who have seen me as well as people who know me IRL that I remind them of Booth from Bones.

David_Boreanaz_0038.jpg

Nose, jawline, and fair skin are similar but the rest really isn't :laugh:

I am short and have zero upper body strength. I just don't think I was built for ortho. I do know that I would prefer working in a male-dominated field though... after all, biatches be crazy.

Hate saying it but +100 to that!! My cutesy, girly girl friend just got into ortho and I think she felt the same way. Loves hangin with the boys.

I knew this was the guy from Nip/Tuck but I've never seen it so I did a little googling.

Misunderstood lothario? That's pretty WIN. I'll take that as my sdn persona for a while.

I've been told by a few SDNers who have seen me as well as people who know me IRL that I remind them of Booth from Bones.

David_Boreanaz_0038.jpg

Nose, jawline, and fair skin are similar but the rest really isn't :laugh:
Oh hai medZ....how YOU doin'?
Edit: if all y'all are here right now...why aren't we group chatting??

Oh hai medZ....how YOU doin'?
Edit: if all y'all are here right now...why aren't we group chatting??

Umm....oh, look at the time! I'd better hit the road.

I kid, I kid. But seriously, I'd best get drivin ;).

I won't be a lame-o and eventually get in on that though!!

speaking of cray-cray (which I agree, optho is), girls basketball was pretty good tonight. A&M over Stanford initially bummed me because I wanted to see a UConn rematch but then Notre Damn and Diggens beat the Huskies. Both close games.

anyway, go Fighting Irish!

Jumping in (and alphabetizing as well):

2015 "Interests before I started" Specialty List
:

DaisyBuchanan: Ophthalmology / ENT
mauberley: EM / cardiology / radiology