Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just bit the side of my tongue really hard bump. I had that few seconds of facial paralysis and shock that always follow. Those few second where if someone's around, they see you frozen with your mouth kinda open, eyes half closed, face contorted in pain...and they ask what's wrong, but you can't tell them until the shock passes, so they just stare at you for a while...yeah, you know. lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
ughhh, getting back into the school week after an awesome weekend really, really sucks. Feels like I died a bit on the inside.... Three day weekend coming up!

ughhh, getting back into the school week after an awesome weekend really, really sucks. Feels like I died a bit on the inside.... Three day weekend coming up!

can you please reassure me that i'll be able to get back into school mode after years of avoiding anything resembling it? i don't feel like i've done anything productive in a very long time.

Morning folks

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulElJITIVY[/YOUTUBE]

can you please reassure me that i'll be able to get back into school mode after years of avoiding anything resembling it? i don't feel like i've done anything productive in a very long time.

I think ya'll might have taken off more time than me, but I'l try to assure you anway. I only took off a year but it was an a non-academic setting, just working a normal job. The job itself sucked but I miss my weekends and paid vacation so bad right now, but I know how it was getting back into the groove.

You'll be fine. You just need to try really hard to find what study method works for you as quickly as possible. Also, after you see how much work it will take, decide what level of effort you want to give. I am for sure not using the same study techniques I was in undergrad. Flash cards worked great for everything then, it would be too time consuming to do now. Try to actively learn, like actually write things out on a whiteboard or write everything down you need to know on a master sheet and write that out five million times. I think the people who do the worst are the ones who just sit on their asses and re-read the same things over and over again without trying to actively remember it. Passive memorization is useless. Many people form study groups and teach the material out loud to each other again and again, verbalizing it keeps commit it to memory.

Don't just sit there and re-read notes again and again. It might have worked in undergrad. Very few people can make it work in medical school (although I have a friend who does this, he literally does no work until three-four days before an exam. He literally has a photographic memory. He just reads everything once..... it's crazy.)

Here, I have included some images to inspire you.

Yeah, hear hear.

lipstick_cover.jpg

128832725715169187.jpg

Fine02.jpg

Greetings_Card_-_Note-_You_'ll_be_Fine__85293.jpg

photo-3-e1331471128353.jpg

Jelly of your sadness, I couldn't wait to graduate. Seriously one of the happiest days of my life, my undergrad experience sucked. I wish I had done another major and made more friends.

I think graduation was the UNhappiest day of my life. I didn't want to leave campus, my friends, everything I knew....even Cleveland. Never thought I would say that, but it's true :(

I think graduation was the UNhappiest day of my life. I didn't want to leave campus, my friends, everything I knew....even Cleveland. Never thought I would say that, but it's true :(

You must be kinda weird if you wanted to stay in Cleveland. ;)

Just kidding. You'll make new friends, I have easily made 10X more friends in medical school. You're kind of forced to but that's ok.

I think ya'll might have taken off more time than me, but I'l try to assure you anway. I only took off a year but it was an a non-academic setting, just working a normal job. The job itself sucked but I miss my weekends and paid vacation so bad right now, but I know how it was getting back into the groove.

You'll be fine. You just need to try really hard to find what study method works for you as quickly as possible. Also, after you see how much work it will take, decide what level of effort you want to give. I am for sure not using the same study techniques I was in undergrad. Flash cards worked great for everything then, it would be too time consuming to do now. Try to actively learn, like actually write things out on a whiteboard or write everything down you need to know on a master sheet and write that out five million times. I think the people who do the worst are the ones who just sit on their asses and re-read the same things over and over again without trying to actively remember it. Passive memorization is useless. Many people form study groups and teach the material out loud to each other again and again, verbalizing it keeps commit it to memory.

Don't just sit there and re-read notes again and again. It might have worked in undergrad. Very few people can make it work in medical school (although I have a friend who does this, he literally does no work until three-four days before an exam. He literally has a photographic memory. He just reads everything once..... it's crazy.)

Here, I have included some images to inspire you.

yes, i suppose i do know what study methods work / don't work for me. writing flash cards is indeed a horrible effort/result yield. i figured this out 1.5 modules into my SMP.
lecture audio isn't terribly high yield either...i tended to zone out really easily and had to playback several times. i agree with you - drawing out diagrams and writing things out helps. explaining things to others is even better. and then doing old brs q's /re reading old notes right before the exam is the best.

i just feel like...even though I know all this, what will keep me from saying "****it" and deciding to go on a 5 hour netflix binge marathon instead of studying?

Members don't see this ad :)
You must be kinda weird if you wanted to stay in Cleveland. ;)

Just kidding. You'll make new friends, I have easily made 10X more friends in medical school. You're kind of forced to but that's ok.

haha, maybe :rolleyes:. I just have a hard time moving on from anything/letting things go. I would do anything to redo senior year (maybe minus the whole app process). This is gonna be a crappy summer :(

Speaking of which, I need to find a job....

yes, i suppose i do know what study methods work / don't work for me. writing flash cards is indeed a horrible effort/result yield. i figured this out 1.5 modules into my SMP.
lecture audio isn't terribly high yield either...i tended to zone out really easily and had to playback several times. i agree with you - drawing out diagrams and writing things out helps. explaining things to others is even better. and then doing old brs q's /re reading old notes right before the exam is the best.

i just feel like...even though I know all this, what will keep me from saying "****it" and deciding to go on a 5 hour netflix binge marathon instead of studying?

If you did an SMP and was successful in it enough to get into medical school then you shouldn't even be asking, you'll do great!!!!!!

I podcast lectures first, kind of introduces me to the lecture plus it helps when a lecturer gets specific and specifically tells you to memorize something or not. I hardly "learn" anything from them, however.

I think what works for most people is to create a hard schedule you don't deviate from. Do it everyday.

For example:

7 A.M. Wake-up, shower, eat.
8 A.M. Go to the lib and study (or go to lecture).
Noon - Lunch
1 P.M. to 5 P.M study.
5 P.M. - 6 P.M. dinner, workout, whatever.
8 P.M. T.V., social activities, whatever.
Midnight - Bed.

Make a schedule, stick to it, allow yourself some time for T.V. or whatver, unless it's test week.

haha, maybe :rolleyes:. I just have a hard time moving on from anything/letting things go. I would do anything to redo senior year (maybe minus the whole app process). This is gonna be a crappy summer :(

Speaking of which, I need to find a job....

haha, I kept all of my notes/exams/projects from undergrad..... I know what you mean about letting go.

Somewhere deep in me I think my kids will look at that stuff and be like "Wow, cool, look at what dad did!"

In reality they will be like "Dad. This is hoarder level. Let me watch T.V."

haha, I kept all of my notes/exams/projects from undergrad..... I know what you mean about letting go.

Somewhere deep in me I think my kids will look at that stuff and be like "Wow, cool, look at what dad did!"

In reality they will be like "Dad. This is hoarder level. Let me watch T.V."

I still have notes and crap from elementary school (actually, I didn't take notes, I just drew lots of pictures while not paying attention). I'm proud of those F's I got on math tests in 4th grade!

I still have notes and crap from elementary school (actually, I didn't take notes, I just drew lots of pictures while not paying attention). I'm proud of those F's I got on math tests in 4th grade!

My mom has a trunk full of that stuff from kindergarten - middle school. I think she looks at it from time to time.

i have some stuff from 6th grade and up in boxes in my room back home. I might be developing into a hoarder...

Still awake...can't stop coughing long enough to fall asleep, so why bother trying? Eventually, I figure I will just pass out at the computer. My boyfriend will find me in the morning with my head back and mouth open, or alternatively, with the imprint of the keyboard on my face.

"Bump, Bump, Bump" bump.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgiX53hjAPc&ob=av2e[/YOUTUBE]

Bumpits looks terrible, btw. no one use it, ever.

I know a girl who used to wear a bumpit. The sweet, yet horribly awkward type. She had thin hair, though, and you could see the little teeth of the bumpit sticking out at the top. I didn't have the heart to tell her, and she was really only an acquaintance anyway, so it would've made the entire situation ten times worse. :(

Anyone remember pogs? I think I was just a little too young for them, but my older sisters went crazy for them. True story: my younger sister put our hamster in a pog container and just left him there. I can't remember if it died :eek:

top?

edit: YUSSSSSSSS

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1h5TzdTq0o[/YOUTUBE]

I have a gameboy emulator on my phone. I beat pokemon red and crystal in a month over christmas break....

i luv pokemans

A full month? :eek: What took you so long? I, too, have an emu on my tablet. I set the speed to 4x. Finished it in less than a week. :cool:

Anyone remember pogs? I think I was just a little too young for them, but my older sisters went crazy for them. True story: my younger sister put our hamster in a pog container and just left him there. I can't remember if it died :eek:

I was quite the hipster when it comes to Pog. I had it several months before it was sold in my country! Good stuff. :thumbup:

I had so many pogs as a kid. I don't think I even understood what to do with them. But I liked collecting them.

Poor little guy :(
funny_pictures_hamster_toilet_paper_roll_Randomonia-s486x389-135466.jpg

Last edited:

Yes, I remember those! In fact, when I was at a med school interview we had to go around the room telling the other interviewees our name, school, hometown, and favorite childhood game/activity. I said pogs :D

Also, poor hamster :(