Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:xf: I hope you're right, because I went through like 10 drafts of my PS before I finally realized I would never get to the secondaries if I kept agonizing over it. Even after I clicked submit, I kept thinking about possible changes I should've made :scared:.

You're fine!!! I promise.

Also, with secondary essays... write honestly. Check for grammar. Then be done with it.

Members don't see this ad.

:xf: I hope you're right, because I went through like 10 drafts of my PS before I finally realized I would never get to the secondaries if I kept agonizing over it. Even after I clicked submit, I kept thinking about possible changes I should've made :scared:.

I think i spent about 3 days editing my PS. had it read by my roommates, fellow applicant and parents. After that it read straightforward got the point across and just wanted to be done.

I'm sorry guys but I'm not the best of tippers, as a matter of fact, the only place where i tip regularly is my local pub because the bar tenders there are super awesome and make my time there special. Don't think I can get that kind of service anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tipping is a grossly misunderstood institution...

TIP BOXES were in place to be filled BEFORE you sat down for a meal... as in TO INSURE PROMPTNESS.

You didn't tip, you got your food last.

Now, if a waitress/waiter gives you crappy service, they expect 15-20%....
hahaha

Tipping is a grossly misunderstood institution...

TIP BOXES were in place to be filled BEFORE you sat down for a meal... as in TO INSURE PROMPTNESS.

You didn't tip, you got your food last.

Now, if a waitress/waiter gives you crappy service, they expect 15-20%....
hahaha

T.I.P is how my dad explained. And I generally go by that. However, like TMS said, a busy waiter with loads and loads of tables shouldn't be penalized for not refilling my drink when its below the 1/4 mark. As long as I dont have to repeat myself its usually all good

T.I.P is how my dad explained. And I generally go by that. However, like TMS said, a busy waiter with loads and loads of tables shouldn't be penalized for not refilling my drink when its below the 1/4 mark. As long as I dont have to repeat myself its usually all good

I hate repeating myself... I had to ask FOUR TIMES for a clean fork.... I didn't TIP at that restaurant. It wasn't even busy. The waitress was like... what's wrong with that one? I said.. it's DIRTY WHAT DO YOU THINK? (FYI, it was dirty out of the napkin....aka not washed properly)

I wish I could afford to eat at places that require tips.

Filthy rich bastards :laugh:

I've always followed the philosophy that tips have to be earned, not expected.

So I noticed in the school threads, I am top poster in the all but 2 of the school im applying to. I got to stop :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Today...intern...becomes...RESEARCH COORDINATOR. :eek:

So I noticed in the school threads, I am top poster in the all but 2 of the school im applying to. I got to stop :laugh:

No, keep posting!!! Especially in the TX schools thread; I am trying to figure out when I might hear back about interviews based on your updates.

I have no doubt in my mind that you will man :thumbup:
Nothing like sippin some drinks with the reassurance of a couple of interviews.

BTW congrats on the research coordinator position!!!!!

I know right? The margarita tastes that much sweeter when you know you've got a shot at a spot.

You guys apparently grew up way different than I did...I ALWAYS tip at least 20% at a restaurant and $1 or $2 per drink at a bar. Always. I never stiff tips when a place is busy and I tip on the normal amount at happy hour, not the reduced amount. I have never had such poor service that I wanted to dock a tip, just slower service due to how busy the establishment is. I do not punish waiters financially for having more work than they can handle.

Nahhhh TMS, I grew up the same way you did. Always tip. ALWAYS. However, when the staff is being rude to you, without reason, and they can't bring you a fork? Then I'm not tipping you. No way.

You guys apparently grew up way different than I did...I ALWAYS tip at least 20% at a restaurant and $1 or $2 per drink at a bar. Always. I never stiff tips when a place is busy and I tip on the normal amount at happy hour, not the reduced amount. I have never had such poor service that I wanted to dock a tip, just slower service due to how busy the establishment is. I do not punish waiters financially for having more work than they can handle.

100% agree with you. This is the way I do it.

HOWEVER, a pet peeve of mine is from bar tenders. I HATE that if you tip under 5$ at some places (on a 5$ beer), they refuse to serve you for the rest of the night. I ALWAYS leave at least 1-2$ on a drink (even if the bar tender takes too long). The bar tenders that are friendly and strike up conversation - they always get more. But the guys that work a busy bar and refuse service unless tipping is extraordinary...that is bananas. Hate it.

BTW congrats on the research coordinator position!!!!!

I know right? The margarita tastes that much sweeter when you know you've got a shot at a spot.

Thank man :] It's pretty exciting. You know you have a good job when your boss tells you that she "needs to have you published and have more things to put on you med school application by the end of the summer."
My job, :love: it

Lol I feel ya man. That tequila becomes all tastier with a little success at the end of it.

Nahhhh TMS, I grew up the same way you did. Always tip. ALWAYS. However, when the staff is being rude to you, without reason, and they can't bring you a fork? Then I'm not tipping you. No way.

I guess I've just never had a waiter be rude to me...maybe I'd feel different if I had.

I guess I've just never had a waiter be rude to me...maybe I'd feel different if I had.

You probably would. It was that isolated instance. Never really happened again. However, I did have a homosexual waiter hit on me... REALLY hard. I was totally for it... gave me free rounds over and over again. I was openly kissing my girlfriend at the time. She found it all too entertaining.

Girl waitresses need to start hitting on me. Then I can start dishing out my number to them!

Well known fact... CodeBlu was an NCAA athlete who slept in a hyperbaric chamber on and off.

Yeah, that's right... erythropoeitin NATURALLY! Also did altitude training. So... BRING IT.

Where you actually an NCAA athlete? I can't tell if that part is fake...I assume the second part is...

Where you actually an NCAA athlete? I can't tell if that part is fake...I assume the second part is...

Mmmmhmmm. I won't say what sport specifically...you know confidentiality etc.

But yes I was an NCAA athlete... almost made it to the big time. Then I got sick. But whatever, stuff happens.

You'll do great!!!! Just think of how wonderfully full your brain is.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Best of super awesome luck.

Phnerdyyyyyy! you'll be great!

Thanks guys. I'm just really scared right now of failing for a second time. I don't think I would be able to take it.

I think I'm gonna go for a drive to clear my head. That way I can also find the test center. Maybe I'll go to the gym too

Thanks guys. I'm just really scared right now of failing for a second time. I don't think I would be able to take it.

I think I'm gonna go for a drive to clear my head. That way I can also find the test center. Maybe I'll go to the gym too

A great idea!!!

However, I don't think you failed the first time... we've just been forced to think unrealistic things about the MCAT. It's sort of ridiculous.

We're all smart. I spoke with a med student friend of mine the other day... she writes great tests. But she says "Ever since I got into medical school, I realized that some of my classmates are smarter than me, even though I do better on tests. Just because they work hard."

Keep your head up!
:luck:

Well known fact... CodeBlu was an NCAA athlete who slept in a hyperbaric chamber on and off.

Yeah, that's right... erythropoeitin NATURALLY! Also did altitude training. So... BRING IT.

We'll see about that! I was born and raised at 5500 feet...did cross country training at 11000 feet. But I think there's only one way to find out who's champ...

Pre-MCAT nervous breakdown day before the test: check.

Don't worry you'll do AWESOME! because you are a beast!

:thumbup: good idea.

Also tiny shot of baileys in hot chocolate the night before helps to relax

We'll see about that! I was born and raised at 5500 feet...did cross country training at 11000 feet. But I think there's only one way to find out who's champ...
Aside:
This reminds me of the time there was a marathon in houston a couple years back. There were a lot of high altitude training runner, so naturally it was expected they would do well. Unfortunately the 100% humidity and heat was a too much for some people who have never experienced weather like this, much less run. Did not turn out well for those runners

Aside:
This reminds me of the time there was a marathon in houston a couple years back. There were a lot of high altitude training runner, so naturally it was expected they would do well. Unfortunately the 100% humidity and heat was a too much for some people who have never experienced weather like this, much less run. Did not turn out well for those runners

Take that TMS!

Mmmmhmmm. I won't say what sport specifically...you know confidentiality etc.

But yes I was an NCAA athlete... almost made it to the big time. Then I got sick. But whatever, stuff happens.

Me too!
I'm a swimmer :D
Glad to see some more NCAA representation here.

Moral of the story is : Texas heat sucks and I dont know how I spent so much time outside when i was a kid in it.

Good luck. We're all rooting for you! :thumbup: :luck: :xf: