Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by deleted393595
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also started working on the primary. Hope to submit by mid June at the latest. How many schools r u guys planning on applying to?
Really struggling here with my school list. I started off thinking that I'd apply to 20, but now I think I'm going to be applying to about 30. :greedy: It's going to cost almost 4K in primaries/secondaries, but I really want to avoid a reapp cycle.

I've also been trying (key word: trying) to pre-write some secondaries, but sweet jeebus some of the prompts are headache-inducing.
Ditto. I brought it down it down to 20 schools though I am fighting with myself not to add 5 more schools.
 
Do NOT give in!!!! 16-20 is plenty, honestly.

Applications are such a slippery slope – I always find myself playing the "what if" game, which makes my list longer and longer. A lot of this is also compounded by the fear of seeing 35+/3.8+ applicants rejected or stuck in waitlist limbo. o___o

I'm going to run my list past some people to whittle it down. I would like to pocket some of the app money I saved up...

But good luck with your upcoming app cycle, moop! I don't know much about the econ/policy-heavy programs, but I'm expecting great things from you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applications are such a slippery slope – I always find myself playing the "what if" game, which makes my list longer and longer. A lot of this is also compounded by the fear of seeing 35+/3.8+ applicants rejected or stuck in waitlist limbo. o___o

I'm going to run my list past some people to whittle it down. I would like to pocket some of the app money I saved up...

But good luck with your upcoming app cycle, moop! I don't know much about the econ/policy-heavy programs, but I'm expecting great things from you!
Yeah idk how to manage the what if scenarios. Much as my parents are still like "son, spend however much money you want, you know we can afford it," I'm like eff you AAMC. I'm a big risk taker, though, so I still say **** it, go for the lower-bound :naughty:

I would seriously not go too low on the totem pole when playing it safe, though. Schools are protecting their yield more and more and you don't want rejections from lower tiers to baffle your confidence for no reason when you need it most. Just go broadly within your target tier imo.

Thanks! I'm doing the cycle after this one actually since I'm gonna gap year (again), but just thought I'd join in on the planning ship 😛
 
Ditto. I brought it down it down to 20 schools though I am fighting with myself not to add 5 more schools.

I'm also at around 20 schools. Currently at 21 right now, but I was at 23 a couple of days ago. I really do not like the idea of spending 1k+ just on the primary app tho...
 
Do NOT give in!!!! 16-20 is plenty, honestly.
LOL. When you're right, you're right. Thanks I will not give in. Btw your school list is sexy but that Georgetown tho.. I have heard things from Jalby about this school lol ha.
I'm also at around 20 schools. Currently at 21 right now, but I was at 23 a couple of days ago. I really do not like the idea of spending 1k+ just on the primary app tho...
So true, though because of college I've gotten to a point where I just don't like to spend money lol. Also, nice app.
 
Good luck with the application everyone!! I look forward to refreshing my email every 10 minutes with the rest of you once interviews and acceptances start coming out 😀
 
LOL. When you're right, you're right. Thanks I will not give in. Btw your school list is sexy but that Georgetown tho.. I have heard things from Jalby about this school lol ha.
Good man, that's how you do.

Haha thanks! They fit my profile for a school, though. I hope they ask the "Why Georgetown" question because I'm gonna kill it lol
 
Good man, that's how you do.

Haha thanks! They fit my profile for a school, though. I hope they ask the "Why Georgetown" question because I'm gonna kill it lol
Lol, nice. Good luck, I hope they do ask that :xf:
 
Good luck with the application everyone!! I look forward to refreshing my email every 10 minutes with the rest of you once interviews and acceptances start coming out 😀

LOL you know it. Just gotta get this primary written up first. For some reason, I am having so much trouble writing the "most meaningful" essays for the activities section. Does anyone have any advice??
 
LOL. When you're right, you're right. Thanks I will not give in. Btw your school list is sexy but that Georgetown tho.. I have heard things from Jalby about this school lol ha.

Dude, I saw the $130 secondary fee, the A/B/C/D/F preclinical grading scheme, and Jalby's thread and then went "nope."
Such a shame, because I really like DC and it seems like an awesome school. Unfortunately, I need to ax a lot of schools off my list.

LOL you know it. Just gotta get this primary written up first. For some reason, I am having so much trouble writing the "most meaningful" essays for the activities section. Does anyone have any advice??

The most meaningful space seemed kind of open ended... mine are sort of a blend between important anecdotes from my experience and further elaboration on my roles/duties. These mdapps from DAPI and SparklingMoscato have full activity descriptions, which helped me get a pretty good idea of how to structure them.
 
LOL you know it. Just gotta get this primary written up first. For some reason, I am having so much trouble writing the "most meaningful" essays for the activities section. Does anyone have any advice??
Look on SDN AMCAS Questions thread FAQ (first couple of posts). Good pointers on what to do with the extra space. Key thing is get across is how the experience was transformative and informs the future you.
 
Def gotta start on my PS today...been procrastinating it because I know it'll end up being a piece of crap or really really generic lol

I wrote mine in January and now I feel iffy about it.... I dunno. I guess I just don't know how best to structure my thoughts and ideas. It's tough!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wrote mine in January and now I feel iffy about it.... I dunno. I guess I just don't know how best to structure my thoughts and ideas. It's tough!

At least you have a draft. I've been putting off my PS for the longest time, but now I finally have to get to it!
 
I wrote mine in January and now I feel iffy about it.... I dunno. I guess I just don't know how best to structure my thoughts and ideas. It's tough!
Yea, after re-reading the intial draft I pumped out in March I had to scrap almost everything but a few sentences. Finally have a "thread" to bring the whole thing together, but I'm having the most trouble "showing" rather than speaking in generalities.
 
Yea, after re-reading the intial draft I pumped out in March I had to scrap almost everything but a few sentences. Finally have a "thread" to bring the whole thing together, but I'm having the most trouble "showing" rather than speaking in generalities.
Examples and stories. That's what showing means.
 
Hey guys, I have a question not worth making a thread about.

I recently got a grade back for one of my upper Biology classes. It unfortunately was a C+ (one of two on my transcript) in an advanced laboratory techniques class (with theory). The class is uncurved and I'm pretty much sitting at the average. I wanted to know how exactly adcoms would view this? I know it looks terrible and my GPA is taking a heavy hit but is it possible that they can turn a "blind eye" to it considering I have decent marks in my pre-reqs?

So frustrating - I'm on a downward trend right now and I feel as if I kissed my chances this year good bye.

Goodluck to the rest of you guys btw!
 
Hey guys, I have a question not worth making a thread about.

I recently got a grade back for one of my upper Biology classes. It unfortunately was a C+ (one of two on my transcript) in an advanced laboratory techniques class (with theory). The class is uncurved and I'm pretty much sitting at the average. I wanted to know how exactly adcoms would view this? I know it looks terrible and my GPA is taking a heavy hit but is it possible that they can turn a "blind eye" to it considering I have decent marks in my pre-reqs?

So frustrating - I'm on a downward trend right now and I feel as if I kissed my chances this year good bye.

Goodluck to the rest of you guys btw!
Not a death sentence. Nothing you can do about it now, so don't worry unless your GPA is like <3.5
 
Yea, after re-reading the intial draft I pumped out in March I had to scrap almost everything but a few sentences. Finally have a "thread" to bring the whole thing together, but I'm having the most trouble "showing" rather than speaking in generalities.

Examples and stories. That's what showing means.

That's the opposite problem for me -- my entire PS is examples and stories, so I'm worried that the readers are gonna be like, "Uh cool, you saw some neat stuff.... That doesn't tell us why you want to be a doctor." I'm trying to use the stories to illustrate qualities that I want to embody as a physician, but saying, "This is the kind of doctor I want to be" is still different than the classic, "I want to go into medicine because..." thread that everyone goes with. I don't know ARGH. I definitely don't want to rewrite it but I don't want this to be the thing that screws me over.
 
Not a death sentence. Nothing you can do about it now, so don't worry unless your GPA is like <3.5

Thanks for the input mop. It's really eating at me though.


My GPA is not yet below 3.5, however I'm carrying a "C" in Analytical Chem and and now a "C+" in this advanced technique class. I'm expecting A-A+ in Physical Chemistry (not bragging) and a few other upper level Bio classes. Just sucks because my first year GPA was 3.8 and it's now sitting at 3.6 after my third year - a BIG downward trend + I'm international.

I don't think I'm going to see a lot of love this cycle hehe.

///Vent
 
Thanks for the input mop. It's really eating at me though.


My GPA is not yet below 3.5, however I'm carrying a "C" in Analytical Chem and and now a "C+" in this advanced technique class. I'm expecting A-A+ in Physical Chemistry (not bragging) and a few other upper level Bio classes. Just sucks because my first year GPA was 3.8 and it's now sitting at 3.6 after my third year - a BIG downward trend + I'm international.

I don't think I'm going to see a lot of love this cycle hehe.

///Vent

Good luck. Being an international will probably make the process more difficult, but just make sure to apply broadly and apply early.
 
Hey all! I'm originally Class of 2018, but I'm deferring a year before starting school...so it looks like I'll be joining you guys! Good luck as you guys finish up your primaries 🙂 You can do it!!! Also, I know I'm new to this thread, but let me know if you guys have any questions!
 
Hey all! I'm originally Class of 2018, but I'm deferring a year before starting school...so it looks like I'll be joining you guys! Good luck as you guys finish up your primaries 🙂 You can do it!!! Also, I know I'm new to this thread, but let me know if you guys have any questions!

How much time did you spend on your primary in total and when did u submit and get verified?
 
How much time did you spend on your primary in total and when did u submit and get verified?

My university pre-med committee had very early deadlines that forced us to have everything ready by the time the primary was available. I submitted on the first day at the open (9:30?) and was verified in less than 6 hours.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all! I'm originally Class of 2018, but I'm deferring a year before starting school...so it looks like I'll be joining you guys! Good luck as you guys finish up your primaries 🙂 You can do it!!! Also, I know I'm new to this thread, but let me know if you guys have any questions!

Congrats on an utterly superb cycle... I've been slightly stalking your progress this past year! Highly doubt I will be in the Stanford boat with you, but I hope you enjoy this additional "pseudogap" year!
 
Hey all! I'm originally Class of 2018, but I'm deferring a year before starting school...so it looks like I'll be joining you guys! Good luck as you guys finish up your primaries 🙂 You can do it!!! Also, I know I'm new to this thread, but let me know if you guys have any questions!

Congrats! I assume Stanford matched your other offer$? Don't know if there's a class thread for me yet, '21? '22?? :shrug:
 
How much time did you spend on your primary in total and when did u submit and get verified?

I had a pre-med committee application thing that had me do a mock-primary in February, so I wrote a rough, but workable, draft of my PS then and solidified my list of ECs then. After that, I didn't look at that stuff again until mid-May when finals were over -- that's when I polished up my PS and wrote my EC descriptions. I didn't necessarily spend a huge amount of raw time on my primary, but I do think the break in between did help me organize my thoughts in the mean time, which meant when I got back to it in May, I was much more ready to put everything down on paper.

I submitted mine around 4PM (not entirely sure, but early/mid-afternoon, in any case) on the first day and was verified on the 24th. My committee letter didn't come in until 8/19, however, so there really was no rush 🙄 If your school also has a late-ish committee, I'd check to see what the general time line is so you don't freak out too early. Just make sure to check for the schools that offer interviews without letters (UMichigan comes to mind), but other than that if your letters aren't going to be submitted until much later, there's really no need to rush your primary (or your secondaries, for that matter).

Congrats on an utterly superb cycle... I've been slightly stalking your progress this past year! Highly doubt I will be in the Stanford boat with you, but I hope you enjoy this additional "pseudogap" year!

Hahah, I'm flattered 😛 There were some truly impressive people this cycle, and it was so much fun to get to meet many of them throughout the process. Good luck with your year and try to enjoy the ride!

Congrats! I assume Stanford matched your other offer$? Don't know if there's a class thread for me yet, '21? '22?? :shrug:

Unfortunately, they don't match financial aid offers, but they did offer maximum financial aid, which is pretty much on par with some of the merit aid offers I had 😛 That, together with their ridiculous TA/research rates (~$20,000 per quarter for 20hrs/week), I figured I'd take the plunge for some California sun! 😀 There's probably some '22 thread that was started by some high school freshman that was immediately shut down by angry posts, hahah. You can make your own!! I'll come visit.
 
My university pre-med committee had very early deadlines that forced us to have everything ready by the time the primary was available. I submitted on the first day at the open (9:30?) and was verified in less than 6 hours.
Damn they verify that quickly? Shizz
 
hey, are y'all pre-writing secondaries? i think i'm done with my primary (i'll keep reading it and editing it though), so i want to know if i should get to work writing some essays that might be able to be recycled (most difficult hardship i've faced, what makes me unique, etc). i tried to look in the current school-specific threads for prompts from last year, but almost all of them didn't have the essay prompts in the first post and i wasn't sure if i had to dig through the first few pages of the thread in hopes of finding them. or is there an easier way?
 
hey, are y'all pre-writing secondaries? i think i'm done with my primary (i'll keep reading it and editing it though), so i want to know if i should get to work writing some essays that might be able to be recycled (most difficult hardship i've faced, what makes me unique, etc). i tried to look in the current school-specific threads for prompts from last year, but almost all of them didn't have the essay prompts in the first post and i wasn't sure if i had to dig through the first few pages of the thread in hopes of finding them. or is there an easier way?
You'd have to dig. That's the only way. They should all be there.
 
hey, are y'all pre-writing secondaries? i think i'm done with my primary (i'll keep reading it and editing it though), so i want to know if i should get to work writing some essays that might be able to be recycled (most difficult hardship i've faced, what makes me unique, etc). i tried to look in the current school-specific threads for prompts from last year, but almost all of them didn't have the essay prompts in the first post and i wasn't sure if i had to dig through the first few pages of the thread in hopes of finding them. or is there an easier way?[/QUOTE ]

If the prompt is not in the first post, it most definitely is on the first page a few posts down. Otherwise you can check previous years.
 
Last edited:
hey, are y'all pre-writing secondaries? i think i'm done with my primary (i'll keep reading it and editing it though), so i want to know if i should get to work writing some essays that might be able to be recycled (most difficult hardship i've faced, what makes me unique, etc). i tried to look in the current school-specific threads for prompts from last year, but almost all of them didn't have the essay prompts in the first post and i wasn't sure if i had to dig through the first few pages of the thread in hopes of finding them. or is there an easier way?

Also: go through previous years' app threads and look at the secondaries. Some schools routinely change their prompts (I believe OHSU and USC do).

I should be pre-writing, but I've found it really hard to get started. My primary is essentially ready to go, though I have to check in with my schools and make sure they sent in my transcripts properly... I sincerely hope it doesn't take too long for them to verify once they are received.
 
Also: go through previous years' app threads and look at the secondaries. Some schools routinely change their prompts (I believe OHSU and USC do).

I should be pre-writing, but I've found it really hard to get started. My primary is essentially ready to go, though I have to check in with my schools and make sure they sent in my transcripts properly... I sincerely hope it doesn't take too long for them to verify once they are received.

You won't be getting secondaries until later in June, so you've got time! 🙂 Though if you want to pre-write anything, I'd get started on the "Diversity" and the "Greatest Challenge" prompts. Those were by far the most common and I ended up with like 7 different versions of various lengths, hahah.
 
Just took AAMC 11 and am feeling great for Saturday 🙂 so excited to take the exam and then have a ratchet party!! (alone with my PS 🙄)
 
Good man, that's how you do.

Haha thanks! They fit my profile for a school, though. I hope they ask the "Why Georgetown" question because I'm gonna kill it lol

By all means, if Georgetown is in your top 10 schools, you should be applying. If it is 10-20, you are better off throwing away your money other places.

I'm glad I probably helped you out by decreasing your competition. You are welcome. And thanks for liking the one of many posts I should probably delete.
 
Dude, I saw the $130 secondary fee, the A/B/C/D/F preclinical grading scheme, and Jalby's thread and then went "nope."
Such a shame, because I really like DC and it seems like an awesome school. Unfortunately, I need to ax a lot of schools off my list.

I appreciate you not donating to the admissions committee operating fund.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If we submitted our transcript for the primary without spring quarter grades, do we ever submit an updated transcript with those grades? Like...with secondaries or something? I feel like I read this somewhere but now I can't find it.
 
If we submitted our transcript for the primary without spring quarter grades, do we ever submit an updated transcript with those grades? Like...with secondaries or something? I feel like I read this somewhere but now I can't find it.
I think you're supposed to send the updated one to AMCAS after the grades are posted.
 
If we submitted our transcript for the primary without spring quarter grades, do we ever submit an updated transcript with those grades? Like...with secondaries or something? I feel like I read this somewhere but now I can't find it.

15. My spring grades don't come out until May/June/July/Whatever. Should I wait until I get them to submit my application?
If you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on your transcript. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a LOT (they contain 3 prereqs, all As, and this is the first time you've taken a full load), wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in. Link.

13. What about in-progress courses, or courses I know I am going to take over the summer? What about Pre-reqs I am taking over the summer?
There is a chance for you to list all future courses on the AMCAS application. No, you can not update these grades later in AMCAS, but you CAN update individual schools later with these grades. This is actually a perfect opportunity for you to send an Update Letter to schools telling them again how much you love them, and telling them what you've been up to. Link.​

My spring grades aren't posted on my official transcript until August (school does this as a policy to deal with grade changes/appeals) so I just went and sent in my incomplete transcript and listed my spring classes as "current/in progress." Hope this works out, because I do not want my app to begin verification in August ;___;

Oh, and good luck this Saturday! You are going to do marvellously!
 
15. My spring grades don't come out until May/June/July/Whatever. Should I wait until I get them to submit my application?
If you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on your transcript. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a LOT (they contain 3 prereqs, all As, and this is the first time you've taken a full load), wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in. Link.

13. What about in-progress courses, or courses I know I am going to take over the summer? What about Pre-reqs I am taking over the summer?
There is a chance for you to list all future courses on the AMCAS application. No, you can not update these grades later in AMCAS, but you CAN update individual schools later with these grades. This is actually a perfect opportunity for you to send an Update Letter to schools telling them again how much you love them, and telling them what you've been up to. Link.​

My spring grades aren't posted on my official transcript until August (school does this as a policy to deal with grade changes/appeals) so I just went and sent in my incomplete transcript and listed my spring classes as "current/in progress." Hope this works out, because I do not want my app to begin verification in August ;___;

Oh, and good luck this Saturday! You are going to do marvellously!

If we know what our grades for those classes are, should we list them and then just select the current/future box? Or should we leave the grades off entirely?
 
If we know what our grades for those classes are, should we list them and then just select the current/future box? Or should we leave the grades off entirely?

I would only list them if the transcript you are sending to AMCAS also includes them. Otherwise, I would designate them as current classes and leave the grades off.