Class of 2021 job market insights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are some residents who are Primadonnas, but there are more who just want the normal job they were promised.
I dont believe this. “Promised”. Maybe its cause nothing was promised me. They can have a “normal” job. In this day and age its a cmg job where you have no protections and private equity is out licking their chops to cut your pay.

Listen I dont think having to work nights when you start and being stuck until something else opens up is ok. It is not. I wouldn’t allow my group to do this. That being said if they are honest and open about what the deal is then you cant be mad if you take that job.

I wish there were only small and medium (under 50 partner) groups in EM and all were fair and reasonable with no admin kings. However, people are ****ty, they are greedy and worst of all they are entitled.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont believe this. “Promised”. Maybe its cause nothing was promised me. They can have a “normal” job. In this day and age its a cmg job where you have no protections and private equity is out licking their chops to cut your pay.

Listen I dont think having to work nights when you start and being stuck until something else opens up is ok. It is not. I wouldn’t allow my group to do this. That being said if they are honest and open about what the deal is then you cant be mad if you take that job.

I wish there were only small and medium (under 50 partner) groups in EM and all were fair and reasonable with no admin kings. However, people are ****ty, they are greedy and worst of all they are entitled.

Yeah "promised" was a poor choice of words.
I meant to imply: "A normal job, as would generally be expected."
But hey, EM is not normal, and is getting even less normal.

Reactions: 3 users
Substitute "Big" w/ "desirable". California, NYC, Denver, Miami, Chicago...you're going to be sub $200/hr if not already

Miami people aren’t making sub 200/hr. The jobs here still pay respectably. The issue is the jobs are just hard to get.

Our moonlighting residents pull in $150/hr.

Lots of people working part time at local shops, where the IC hourly rate (250-350/hr from those Im close with) is good but the number of available shifts is low.

So they keep their foot in the door working a half dozen shifts/month per diem, and wait for a full time opening. While commuting to rural Florida or the Midwest to round out their salary.

it’s crappy, and not what I’d call a sustainable career, but not sub 200/hr crappy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Miami people aren’t making sub 200/hr. The jobs here still pay respectably. The issue is the jobs are just hard to get.

Our moonlighting residents pull in $150/hr.

Lots of people working part time at local shops, where the IC hourly rate (250-350/hr from those Im close with) is good but the number of available shifts is low.

So they keep their foot in the door working a half dozen shifts/month per diem, and wait for a full time opening. While commuting to rural Florida or the Midwest to round out their salary.

it’s crappy, and not what I’d call a sustainable career, but not sub 200/hr crappy.
Yet. Once all those hca residencies pump out cmg trained em docs let’s talk. Denver 2.0 but worse.

I'm in the southeast. For reference, the setup was to pay about 40-50 dollars less per hour (relative to comparable CMG) as a pre partner for 2-3 years, working exclusively nights, and when you became partner earned all-RVU pay which generally amounted to about 75 dollars more per hour than a comparable CMG for the day shift partners - I think they subsidize the night shifts so they aren't horribly underpaid. Then of course the CMGs are offering bonuses so that ups the early year(s) pay gap more, too. You also remained the nocturnist until a new pre-partner took your position. 5 years on average.

All that to say, it wasn't 2-3x CMG pay, but it was certainly a pay bump. But an indefinite period of time being the nocturnist, a not insignificant pay cut in important earning years in terms of investing, and the worry that the group dissolves before you make up for the opportunity cost, all for working a few less night shifts and 75 more per hour was not necessarily a no brainer decision.

So you are telling me as an EM attending for 3 yrs I can take a 200K paycut, ruined my relationships/body doing 3 yrs of nights with the promise of being partner and making 75/hr more than a CMG at todays climate will be about the same as a CMG in 3 yrs. This along with possibility of not making partner or being sold out before partnership?

Dang, EM is worse than I thought.

Reactions: 1 user
Another data point. SDG in midwest. Very reasonable partnership track and buy-in. W2. Salary + benefits (401k, insurance, malpractice, CME, etc) around 360k total first year, 425k-ish after (260ish/hour including benefits for 1.5-2pph), around 130-140hr/mo. Equal pay and vote among partners. Not a super desirable locale to some but LCOL and a place we're planning to be happy longer term.

Last edited:
Another data point. SDG in midwest. Very reasonable partnership track and buy-in. W2. Salary + benefits (401k, insurance, malpractice, CME, etc) around 360k total first year, 425k-ish after (260ish/hour including benefits for 1.5-2pph), around 130-140hr/mo. Equal pay and vote among partners. Not a super desirable locale to some but LCOL and a place we're planning to be happy longer term.

You guys hiring?

You guys hiring?
Not anymore, just took the only spot they had. And miscalculated a bit, didn't include the value of the malpractice. Add that on to those numbers I guess, for however much that's worth.

Just saying that those jobs are out there but it certainly isn't the first, or second, or third place I was looking. I was honestly one of those who wanted mountain west or PNW (we do have ties out there) until the reality of this market slapped that out of me. We're happy about it overall because I probably wouldn't have found or considered it without COVID screwing up the job market but feels like we found a diamond in the rough.

I feel like not super desirable location is the key here. Without revealing your location I guess...are you in a rural area? or still somewhere like a small city where it's not THE MOST desirable location, but still pretty good?

I feel like not super desirable location is the key here. Without revealing your location I guess...are you in a rural area? or still somewhere like a small city where it's not THE MOST desirable location, but still pretty good?
Not rural, at least not by my definition. Metro area around 100k but that area is pretty spread out, main city greater than 50k. Not big enough to have a trader Joe's or whole foods but big enough to have decent variety of non chain restaurants, multiple grocery stores, a regional airport, a major city 3ish hours away, and multiple bigger cities within 1.5 hours. Also we're boring married with kids people and I think the size will suit us quite well.

Not rural, at least not by my definition. Metro area around 100k but that area is pretty spread out, main city greater than 50k. Not big enough to have a trader Joe's or whole foods but big enough to have decent variety of non chain restaurants, multiple grocery stores, a regional airport, a major city 3ish hours away, and multiple bigger cities within 1.5 hours. Also we're boring married with kids people and I think the size will suit us quite well.

What are you doing with kids for school? My main issue with these rural type jobs.

What are you doing with kids for school? My main issue with these rural type jobs.
A 100k population is not rural. Like he said in his post. I live in a city with that population and there's plenty of good schools/daycare for my little one.

A 100k population is not rural. Like he said in his post. I live in a city with that population and there's plenty of good schools/daycare for my little one.
Yeah agreed. There's 3-4+ public options for every level of schooling, multiple private options, multiple school districts in adjoining towns within very short distances. No shortage of good options. My spouse might homeschool them anyway so who knows.

Anyone have any input on the EM job market in and around New Orleans?

Anyone have any input on the EM job market in and around New Orleans?

NOLA is essentially full. Can find work rurally it looks like. Some other spots in LA open but really undesirable locations from what I've seen.

Lake Charles will likely have some openings, but that's right on the LA/TX border.