Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,
I have tried searching for help with the current vmcas essay questions, as a former applicant told me she received tons of help from people who helped her edit her essay....I cannot seem to find the thread for it or how to ask for help. I've seen people post on here but I never see an answer....Can you help point me in the right direction/ link to the correct thread to talk about them?
2022 Personal Statement(s) Readers for people to read your essays
VMCAS c/o 2022 for general questions

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the GRE tomorrow. Any last minute tips? I am taking the test at a big college that I have no familiarity with. How do I go about finding out where to park and go specifically? I don't want to frantically be trying to find it

Also do I need to memorize the GRE codes for the schools I would like the scores sent to? Or could I write them on my hand? Honestly I am really bad at memorizing things so I don't want to be worried/focused on remembering those numbers but I also don't want to pay extra money to have them sent later or get in trouble for writing them on my hand.

Also, how much does the writing score matter? I haven't practiced that basically at all. I can't find a list of schools it matters to or doesn't.

Also do I need to memorize the GRE codes for the schools I would like the scores sent to? Or could I write them on my hand? Honestly I am really bad at memorizing things so I don't want to be worried/focused on remembering those numbers but I also don't want to pay extra money to have them sent later or get in trouble for writing them on my hand.

Also, how much does the writing score matter? I haven't practiced that basically at all. I can't find a list of schools it matters to or doesn't.
don't write them on your hand, theyll make you wash it off. I couldn't even bring my own pencils into the testing room. I didn't have to memorize what the gre codes were and I feel like there was a search thing and the ones where they have a vmcas code i think it said vmcas in the school name. You just gotta remember if the school has a vmcas gre code or not or if youre sending it to the school itself and using the 0617(?) department code for the school

Some schools don't care about the writing portion, but there are some that it does matter to. couldn't tell you which ones unfortunately. Bring up both sides in the issue (i think it was this one) essay but still have a stance on which one you side with.
This may help a bit with some last minute "prepping" for the writing portion

Good luck on your GRE!!!

don't write them on your hand, theyll make you wash it off. I couldn't even bring my own pencils into the testing room. I didn't have to memorize what the gre codes were and I feel like there was a search thing and the ones where they have a vmcas code i think it said vmcas in the school name. You just gotta remember if the school has a vmcas gre code or not or if youre sending it to the school itself and using the 0617(?) department code for the school

Some schools don't care about the writing portion, but there are some that it does matter to. couldn't tell you which ones unfortunately. Bring up both sides in the issue (i think it was this one) essay but still have a stance on which one you side with.
This may help a bit with some last minute "prepping" for the writing portion

Good luck on your GRE!!!
Thank you! I will have to look more into the codes but that is good to know. I'm assuming you can pretty much just bring yourself into the test room. Can you access your things during the 10 minute break in order to get a drink of water or a bite of food? How many people are in the test room? Is it very quiet or can you hear everyone doing things? I am worried about the distraction factor of other people since I have ADD

Thank you! I will have to look more into the codes but that is good to know. I'm assuming you can pretty much just bring yourself into the test room. Can you access your things during the 10 minute break in order to get a drink of water or a bite of food? How many people are in the test room? Is it very quiet or can you hear everyone doing things? I am worried about the distraction factor of other people since I have ADD
I don't remember on your first question since it's been almost 4 years since I took the GRE, but the amount of people and the noise level will vary depending on your specific testing center. Where I took it we were in little cubicles and they provided over-the-ear headphones (I don't think they were actually noise-canceling, but close enough), so it was really easy for me to zone in and ignore everyone else.

i think youre allowed to leave the room and get a snack if you brought one during the break. i cant remember if i did or not but i think i mightve? my testing room didnt have too many people in there but there were computers for quite a few. I know my testing room was pretty quiet, but i can't guarantee you will have the same experience. for me personally, i kind of got sucked into the zone and didnt really notice people around me too much though.
Good luck tomorrow!

Job responsibilities/Description for the experience section---- Narrative or Bullet Points???
Does anybody have an idea???

Job responsibilities/Description for the experience section---- Narrative or Bullet Points???
Does anybody have an idea???
Certain schools prefer paragraphs (I think Illinois is one?), but for the most part it doesn't matter as long as you're consistent!

Another question : Does veterinary practice manager and receptionist count as veterinary experience???
Because i started out working as a receptionist and was advanced to veterinary technician then to practice manager. Should i include all three positions under veterinary experience or list them separately??

Another question : Does veterinary practice manager and receptionist count as veterinary experience???
Because i started out working as a receptionist and was advanced to veterinary technician then to practice manager. Should i include all three positions under veterinary experience or list them separately??

I would/did on my VMCAS. I didn't have multiple official titles but was cross-trained in everything and explained in a short paragraph the extent to which I performed the duties. Additionally, you could enter them all as separate experiences if you feel it's too much to write in one "duties" section. I'd still list them all as Veterinary experience though since almost anything you do requires a green light from a vet.

I know some people who went as far to try and calculate literally every hour a veterinarian was actually in the room with them which is honestly ridiculous lol. If you worked at a veterinary clinic, it's vet experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would/did on my VMCAS. I didn't have multiple official titles but was cross-trained in everything and explained in a short paragraph the extent to which I performed the duties. Additionally, you could enter them all as separate experiences if you feel it's too much to write in one "duties" section. I'd still list them all as Veterinary experience though since almost anything you do requires a green light from a vet.

I know some people who went as far to try and calculate literally every hour a veterinarian was actually in the room with them which is honestly ridiculous lol. If you worked at a veterinary clinic, it's vet experience.

That makes sense. Thank You!

Yes! I just took the GRE a couple months ago. During your 10 minute break you are allowed to grab food/water from your locker. When you return, they will check you again before entering the room to make sure you didnt grab study materials/write on your hands, etc. You get noise cancelling headphones to help you stay focused. You are not allowed to leave during the 60 second breaks. In addition, you must be aware of your time during your 10 minute break because the test will start automatically at that point. Good luck and I hope you do well!

Woooo a huge weight has been lifted off of my chest. 162 in both sections!!

Reactions: 9 users
I have a question! For Kansas, the supplemental application asks for the GPA of the last 45 semester hours of undergrad. How do I figure this out? Should I average the GPA's from those three semesters my university gives me? Or should I do the math out for each grade and amount of credits? I am getting two different GPA's with both of those options.

I have a question! For Kansas, the supplemental application asks for the GPA of the last 45 semester hours of undergrad. How do I figure this out? Should I average the GPA's from those three semesters my university gives me? Or should I do the math out for each grade and amount of credits? I am getting two different GPA's with both of those options.
I think you math out the GPA for however many semesters it takes to break into 45 credits, even if that semester gives more than 45 credits to the gpa. (Say you take more/less than 15 credits a semester and 45th hour lands in a semester where you then have 48 credits being calculated into your gpa)
If you just average the semester gpa, it probably will be off because you're averaging numbers that were rounded and increasing your error that way. Good news is you can easily put it all in excel and have it do the work for you.
Grade on a 4 pt scale in 1 column, number of semester hours in the next, third column for the number of quality points you get (grade multiplied by hours) and then divide the total quality points by total semester hours and you have your gpa

I think you math out the GPA for however many semesters it takes to break into 45 credits, even if that semester gives more than 45 credits to the gpa. (Say you take more/less than 15 credits a semester and 45th hour lands in a semester where you then have 48 credits being calculated into your gpa)

This is correct. It kind of sucks if your 45th credit lands in a semester where you didn't do so hot (as was the case with me) which is why some people often take additional credits to push their 45 units out of that particular semester.

@singhb09 so you listed all the duties under one job? as opposed to listing concurrent "veterinary receptionist"/"veterinary assistant" experiences?

@singhb09 so you listed all the duties under one job? as opposed to listing concurrent "veterinary receptionist"/"veterinary assistant" experiences?

I listed it as "Veterinary Assistant" since that was my primary title, but I went into detail about my cross-training and how I spent some days doing reception etc. if I had been hired as a reception and then my job title changed to something else that had it's own exclusive set of duties, I probably would have listed them separately.

I listed it as "Veterinary Assistant" since that was my primary title, but I went into detail about my cross-training and how I spent some days doing reception etc. if I had been hired as a reception and then my job title changed to something else that had it's own exclusive set of duties, I probably would have listed them separately.

Cool, thanks @singhb09 :)

I got notification that one of my letters of rec was submitted today. That surprised me since the prof wanted my "personal statement" as well as a CV and transcript just for info. I provided the latter two but not the answers to the questions. I was actually planning to send them on Monday. I've gotten to know him better this summer as his research group has been going to conferences and such with mine so maybe he decided he didn't need it? I was definitely surprised though lol!

How did you all enter care of personal pets for animal experience? Did you do it by years you had pets? Per type of pet? What about for title and supervisor?

How did you all enter care of personal pets for animal experience? Did you do it by years you had pets? Per type of pet? What about for title and supervisor?

As long as you're conservative with hours, it doesn't matter. Last year there was an online VMCAS open house thing, and the dean of admissions and U of Illinois said to list pet hours but to be very conservative. I think he recommended 15 min/day and I ended up doing 1 hr/wk because it made the math easy. Some schools will totally ignore pet hours but it doesn't hurt to list them.

I just listed type of pet and briefly described anything that required extra care (training, meds, etc.). I kept everything together in one experience ("Pets" or maybe "Pet Experience") and left the supervisor field blank.

If you have an unusual situation that required a lot of knowledge and care, you may want to expand a bit. I know schools are also interested in people who grew up on farms, so you could go more into detail for that. Showing and breeding would also be situations when more hours and explanation would probably be justified.

Reactions: 1 users
I just took my GREs and didn't score as well as I hoped (154Q and 144V). I can retake it in a month to still be able to apply this cycle but i have a lot of personal matter to deal with this upcoming month on top of completing the personal statements so I don't think I'll have much time to study to improve my score. Am I completely screwed? My cGPA is a 3.5, sGPA 3.6 and last 45 is a 3.82. Do you guys think my gpa is solid enough to overlook my poor verbal score? I'm definitely going to apply to schools that don't require the gre/look at it heavily but other than Purdue, Michigan, Virginia, and Missouri (its only worth 4% I've heard?) are there any other schools that don't weigh it as much? Any advice will be appreciated, feeling kind of defeated right now :(

I just took my GREs and didn't score as well as I hoped (154Q and 144V). I can retake it in a month to still be able to apply this cycle but i have a lot of personal matter to deal with this upcoming month on top of completing the personal statements so I don't think I'll have much time to study to improve my score. Am I completely screwed? My cGPA is a 3.5, sGPA 3.6 and last 45 is a 3.82. Do you guys think my gpa is solid enough to overlook my poor verbal score? I'm definitely going to apply to schools that don't require the gre/look at it heavily but other than Purdue, Michigan, Virginia, and Missouri (its only worth 4% I've heard?) are there any other schools that don't weigh it as much? Any advice will be appreciated, feeling kind of defeated right now :(
Hey! If you go back a page I had the same exact issue. I scored 151V and 145Q and felt horrible. So I went to see the University of Florida Pre-Vet advisor and I have cumulative GPA of about a 3.8, and I believe my rec letters, experience, and essay are all really representative of who I am. So she told me with that GPA and everything else combined (even if I had submitted that GRE score, which I did not because I am also re-taking it) she said she's almost certain my application will be looked at. The GRE truly is not representative of who you are and don't let it bring you down! She mentioned to me that it is a way to build "points" on your application and it really helps those who have a poor(er) GPA but exceeded in the GRE to have a chance at vet school! I'm trying to get back into the groove of studying but it was such a relief to have that off my shoulders. Feel free to message me if you want to talk more about GRE stuff or anything!

@ChoopLoops I second @TrashPanda - commenting to add that I just split my animal care experience by animal "type". I have owned dogs throughout my life, so I did one animal experience entry for domestic animal ownership (I commented specifically on the three legged dog I rescued with heartworm since that took extra care - then I just generically mentioned that I have owned dogs throughout my life, I didn't expand much on this because it was basic care) - I classified this as "small animal". When I was in Peace Corps, I owned chickens and a goat - I listed this as a separate entry and then did the designation of "food animal" (if I remember those check boxes correctly). I was actually less conservative with my estimation of hours but it sounds like maybe I should have been :). I think just putting a small amount of hours is sufficient, I imagine that a large number of hours on these matter less than just letting them know that you have owned/cared for animals and (as @TrashPanda said) if you have any "unique" animal care situations. I completely forgot to add the experience I had helping out on my dad's ranch, but I would have entered that one separately as well and called it "large animal" or something of the like. I wouldn't do too many separate entries, but just enough to draw attention to experiences that would "check" different boxes.

As a title I did Animal ownership - small animal, Animal ownership - food animal, etc. For supervisor, I left it blank. For the employer name, I just re-entered the title. I'm sure people do it different ways, but I got in so it couldn't have been a tragic choice of options ;).

Last edited:

Your last 45 and science GPA are pretty strong so I wouldn't worry too much! Also, the average quant GRE for a lot of schools is around 155ish. Schools usually take your highest score from all attempts, and since you're pressed for time I would personally recommend focusing on the verbal for your next attempt since it's mostly memorization and easier to prep for than quant, which you did around average on. I'd say you definitely have a great shot at Michigan State and VA-MD at least with those stats. I was rejected from Mizzou and didn't apply to Purdue so can't speak to those, lol.

@ChoopLoops I second @TrashPanda - commenting to add that I just split my animal care experience by animal "type". I have owned dogs throughout my life, so I did one animal experience entry for domestic animal ownership (I commented specifically on the three legged dog I rescued with heartworm since that took extra care - then I just generically mentioned that I have owned dogs throughout my life, I didn't expand much on this because it was basic care) - I classified this as "small animal". When I was in Peace Corps, I owned chickens and a goat - I listed this as a separate entry and then did the designation of "food animal" (if I remember those check boxes correctly). I was actually less conservative with my estimation of hours but it sounds like maybe I should have been :). I think just putting a small amount of hours is sufficient, I imagine that a large number of hours on these matter less than just letting them know that you have owned/cared for animals and (as @TrashPanda said) if you have any "unique" animal care situations. I completely forgot to add the experience I had helping out on my dad's ranch, but I would have entered that one separately as well and called it "large animal" or something of the like. I wouldn't do too many separate entries, but just enough to draw attention to experiences that would "check" different boxes.

As a title I did Animal ownership - small animal, Animal ownership - food animal, etc. For supervisor, I left it blank. For the employer name, I just re-entered the title. I'm sure people do it different ways, but I got in so it couldn't have been a tragic choice of options ;).

This might be a dumb question: What did you put for the amount of weeks?
I have owned 2 cats (since 2001) and 2 dogs (one for 4 years, one going on 2).
Would the amount of weeks be the years x52? It just sounds so excessive ha.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This might be a dumb question: What did you put for the amount of weeks?
I have owned 2 cats (since 2001) and 2 dogs (one for 4 years, one going on 2).
Would the amount of weeks be the years x52? It just sounds so excessive ha.

That is what I did! Might seem silly, but I felt like all of my entries should be easily matched to the dates that I put in (so if I put in a job from 4/2001 to 4/2003 then there should be 104 weeks accounted for). I think otherwise it could be confusing for them - did you not care for the animal during certain times? Did you not have an animal for part of that? Maybe they wouldn't think that much into it, but for consistency I just made sure that the number of weeks made sense in the context of the dates for all of my entries. That's where the conservative hours could come in though, if you only put in ~1 hour per week then it doesn't add up to a ridiculous amount.

I had poor GRE scores and I got into Penn....maybe look at applying there?

Last edited:
Oh the daily ping pong between "I'm so burnt out on this and the worst applicant everrr" and "yeah i'm a rockstar and I got this" :inpain:

Reactions: 5 users
Your last 45 and science GPA are pretty strong so I wouldn't worry too much! Also, the average quant GRE for a lot of schools is around 155ish. Schools usually take your highest score from all attempts, and since you're pressed for time I would personally recommend focusing on the verbal for your next attempt since it's mostly memorization and easier to prep for than quant, which you did around average on. I'd say you definitely have a great shot at Michigan State and VA-MD at least with those stats. I was rejected from Mizzou and didn't apply to Purdue so can't speak to those, lol.

Yes, GRE is only weighed at 4% for Mizzou.

Your GPAs are all on the high end of average to above average, so I honestly don't think that you'll have as much trouble with it as you seem to think that you will. Most schools seem to value the quant score more than the verbal... which was bad news for me, but good news for you. And, really, a 154Q isn't that bad and is still over the 50th %ile. For reference, I was accepted outright two years ago to ISU, as well as a couple of other schools off of waitlists, with 158V/153Q/5.5AW and a 3.2 cumulative GPA (3.6ish for both science and last 45 hours). It's definitely not hopeless.

Thank you guys! Hearing that really eases the stress a little. I have decided to not retake the test. I figure it's futile since I would need to increase my verbal score 8-10 points for it to be significant and given the limited amount of time I have to study, I don't think that's going to happen. Not to mention verbal has always been my weak suit. Just going to cross my fingers that my gpa, experience, and LOR will be good enough.

I had poor GRE scores and I got into Penn....maybe look at applying there?

Yes, Penn is already on the list :) Mind if I ask what your GRE scores were exactly?

@FutureDVMc/o2022 I second (third? fourth?) putting time into Magoosh. I only had about a month to study for the GRE and did really well and I think it was primarily due to Magoosh. I had previously taken it 6 years ago (my score expired which is why I had to re-take it) and used Kaplan products. Everyone is different, but I did better on the exam this time around after only studying a month with Magoosh than I did last time studying for like 3 months with Kaplan.

Re: use of Magoosh. I didn't watch any of the lessons on Magoosh because of my time restraints, I just took practice questions. If I got a question wrong then I watched the video or read the description they gave of how to do it right. Once I was doing pretty decent on the practice questions, I took one of the full length practice tests about a week before my exam. I then went over the stuff I missed on that, did more practice questions, and then took a second full length test a couple of days before my real test (I didn't want to do it the night before and burn out).

Magoosh actually has a suggested study schedule based on how many weeks you have to study. I liked that it was realistic (they had schedules for people who had like 6 months to study, but also more realistic ones for people who only had a couple of weeks). I think it's on their site. Good luck!

Hello! I have been using MAGOOSH for about 2 months and its great! How accurate do you think the practice test results are to the score you will get on the real GRE? Do they give you a realistic estimate?

Hello! I have been using MAGOOSH for about 2 months and its great! How accurate do you think the practice test results are to the score you will get on the real GRE? Do they give you a realistic estimate?
Sorry, not to butt in, but I used Magoosh before I took the GRE last year and the practice tests were accurate within a couple of points for me.

It was actually pretty off for me (but in a good way), both my full length practice tests had me around 156/157 in each section. I think my range in the question predictors capped out at 159. I ended up with 163Q and 167V on the actual test. To be fair to the predictive value though, I wasn't able to use it that long and took my last practice test a few days before my exam, so I may have been on an upward trend that I didn't catch with my last practice test.

Of the people I know who have used it, it seems like the majority either find it to be accurate or end up testing higher on the "real" test. I'm sure they exist, but I haven't heard any stories from people that did significantly worse (more than a handful of points) than Magoosh predicted.

My practice results had me at 162 for quant and 161 for verbal. I got 162 in both sections on test day (still waiting on my essay scores, hoping for a 5 or at least a 4.5)

Last edited:

my practice results had me at around at 158Q and 158V. I ended up with with a 163Q and 158V

On the flipside my first ETS Prep had me at 157 for both. The second one had me at 164 for quant and 161 for verbal. I definitely feel I could've gotten a 164 on test day if I didn't freak out a little bit.

So I just was looking at UFlorida's requirements and I saw that 80% of prerequisites had to be completed prior to submitting application... Has anyone heard of any other schools that might have this?
I'm back in school taking the last 20 credits in the fall all prereqs. I was hoping to get my app in this cycle, but now I'm panicking! Thoughts?

So I just was looking at UFlorida's requirements and I saw that 80% of prerequisites had to be completed prior to submitting application... Has anyone heard of any other schools that might have this?
I'm back in school taking the last 20 credits in the fall all prereqs. I was hoping to get my app in this cycle, but now I'm panicking! Thoughts?
When I applied there I asked them directly, that would probably be your best best too. They are very friendly! Keep in mind it's 80% of ALL the prerequisites not just the science ones.

Really depends on the school. Some want you to have all prereqs done by the time you apply, some want them all done by the fall, etc. Best to just contact the schools you're planning on applying to.