Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a non-trad and also took online biochem... would not recommend. What a nightmare lol

FWIW I'm also a non-trad and took biochem online (through colorado state). I liked it! it was more expensive per credit than where I was doing my postbac but the course wasn't bad at all.

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely found myself vacuuming my apartment at 10pm last night for this very reason lol
Hopefully your neighbors don't go to bed early! :laugh:

High school bio prof had "bubble all of the correct answers." No partial credit. A-E.

****ing sadist imo.

^me in a nutshell.
Ughhh, my renal physiology professor liked "choose all that are correct" questions, and there were penalties if you chose an incorrect answer. :rolleyes: Freaking hated that section of phys.

Hopefully your neighbors don't go to bed early! :laugh:

I did actually momentarily consider that...and then I thought about all the times I put up with their obnoxious noise at random hours of the day and night and decided I didn't care lol

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I seriously love you guys and I've never even met you. :biglove: Reading your posts and feeling like I'm not alone has helped me so much in the past few months. I'm sorry for the long ass narrative I'm about to write, but maybe some of you who are struggling can relate and it'll help you.

This semester was really rough. I was just taking biochem (only prerequisite I still needed) and working, but on September 29th, my grandmother, who I lived with for 18 years, died. My biochem grade slipped significantly. I had the biggest hole to dig myself out of. As you all know, I needed at least a C.

I had an interview at western in November, then one at UPEI a week later. I'm an average student with great experience, so I was thrilled to be offered interviews at all! But, all the travel and expenses were hard when I was trying to play catch up in biochem. To top it off, I asked a girl in my class to send me the notes because I would be missing class friday for the interview and there was a quiz on Monday. She neglected to send me a very important chart that the entire quiz was based on and I bombed it.

I had a total mental breakdown the second I got into my car after the quiz. I pulled myself together and decided to go talk to my professor. I couldn't hold it together in his office and totally broke down, cried, and explained everything to him. So. Embarrassing. He was really understanding AND he allowed me to retake the quiz. I was so lucky to have such an awesome professor.

I studied so hard to bring my grade up, but I was constantly worried about what would happen if I didn't get this grade and I got accepted somewhere. I assume they would revoke acceptance unless I retook the class in the spring and nobody teaches biochem 1 in the spring. I've been stressing so hard.

I needed at least a 60% on the final to hit that C. Today, I found out that I got an 80% and I'll finish the class with a C+!!! I've never been so happy to have a C+.

I feel so much relief right now. I can finally breathe and process everything that has happened the past few months. Of course I'm still stressed about admission decisions, which should be soon (Western next week and AVC in early January). But I find out on Monday that now I have an interview at Kansas State in January to look forward to!

So thank you to all of you guys. Whether I get in this cycle or not, I hope that I can someday meet some of you!

Now take a deep breath, draw a warm bath (it's cold and snowing where I live so I might actually do this), netflix binge, do whatever you want to do now that we're on break! :soexcited:

Reactions: 12 users
I am so sorry for your loss. I have been fortunate not to have to deal with that this year again. Biochem is just a beast and it wasn't particularly easy to take online. I had issues here in Houston with Hurricane Harvey followed by a major accident a few weeks ago that totaled my car while working full time and taking courses. All in all, it is done, we will keep working towards our goals, and I for one feel blessed to be alive and well... even if I'm anxious to hear back. :) Happy holidays, everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if there is a thread that discusses which schools determine acceptance based only on interview (you’re on an even playing field once offered an interview) vs schools that use this as one piece to add on to the rest of the application? I’m assuming most do the latter but I have heard some do the former. Mostly wondering about OR state, WSU, and Missouri

Does anyone know if there is a thread that discusses which schools determine acceptance based only on interview (you’re on an even playing field once offered an interview) vs schools that use this as one piece to add on to the rest of the application? I’m assuming most do the latter but I have heard some do the former. Mostly wondering about OR state, WSU, and Missouri
Missouri does a holistic evaluation, here's an old post I made explaining their process (caveat, this was 3 years ago and I'm IS, so some things may be different): Number of Pre-requisities Remaining Questions
I don't know about the other two, but I know Illinois makes decisions just based on the interview once you've gotten one!

This is actually incorrect. 75% is your phase 2 score (non-academic evaluation) and 25% is your phase 3 interview score.
Ooh, my bad, maybe they changed it since I interviewed there, or I'm just remembering wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I got accepted to one school and got rejected from another and definitely just had a meltdown about how the one acceptance was probably a mistake and I'm not good enough for vet school and I'm going to go and then fail out.

Freaking dumb brain. :hungover:

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so I got accepted to one school and got rejected from another and definitely just had a meltdown about how the one acceptance was probably a mistake and I'm not good enough for vet school and I'm going to go and then fail out.

Don't have meltdowns yet, you have to save them all for vet school! Didn't you get accepted by your IS (Oregon?)? Don't worry about CSU's rejection. They just knew if you and I end up at CSU together we would be way too much to handle. ;)

I think pretty much everyone who's been accepted has been scared it was a mistake, you're fine! I remember I read my acceptance email a million times to make sure I'd read it correctly. Congrats!

Don't have meltdowns yet, you have to save them all for vet school! Didn't you get accepted by your IS (Oregon?)? Don't worry about CSU's rejection. They just knew if you and I end up at CSU together we would be way too much to handle. ;)

@MixedAnimals77 that made me smile, thanks :) I did get into Oregon, but my IS is WSU - I've got an interview there in Feb. Where else did you apply? You've also got an interview at WSU coming up, yeah?

@LyraGardenia, @WildZoo thanks for the pep talks! I knew posting here would make me feel better <3

Imposter syndrome is very, very common. Don't worry, they didn't make a mistake! Relish that acceptance, the rejections mean nothing now. You're going to vet school!
Imposter syndrome is so intriguing to me. What is it about vet med that makes this so common among our doctors/technicians?

Imposter syndrome is so intriguing to me. What is it about vet med that makes this so common among our doctors/technicians?
I don't think it's just vet med. I've seen it in med students too, and in non medical professionals. I think it's just that we tend to expect a lot out of ourselves, and if we feel like we're not even meeting our own expectations, how can we be meeting anyone else's? A lot of us are highly driven, perfectionists, etc, and that sometimes comes with a helping of insecurity, feeling like you don't actually deserve your accomplishments, and being worried that everyone else will start to see you how you see yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
@MixedAnimals77 that made me smile, thanks :) I did get into Oregon, but my IS is WSU - I've got an interview there in Feb. Where else did you apply? You've also got an interview at WSU coming up, yeah?

@LyraGardenia, @WildZoo thanks for the pep talks! I knew posting here would make me feel better <3
Yeah I have WSU on the 25. Then I have mizzou on the 6 then I applied to Iowa. If I get acceptance to WSU I might end up there. CSU is my IS, but WSU is a bit cheaper last I checked than staying in CO. So who knows, we'll see

WSU is definitely a school that does the bolded.

So...what are your guys' plans if you don't end up getting in? I'm getting really nervous (and slightly depressed) about not getting in and seriously don't know how I'd handle getting rejected from all the schools I applied & interviewed at... :unsure:

So...what are your guys' plans if you don't end up getting in? I'm getting really nervous (and slightly depressed) about not getting in and seriously don't know how I'd handle getting rejected from all the schools I applied & interviewed at... :unsure:
I haven't thought about it too much but I would try and get a research gig somewhere I think. Hopefully a lab with animals.

Do file reviews! It's easy to get lost in the 'I didn't get in' blues, but speaking with the school and finding out what you can improve (and what is already really strong!) gives a little emotional relief. You have direction (you KNOW what you need to work on, you're not just guessing) and you have a little confidence bump (you KNOW what the school liked and why they interviewed you, and with all your insider knowledge from this cycle you're in a great position to prepare for next year).

Take a deep breath. Rejection sucks but it's not the end, it doesn't mean you won't be accepted next time or by another school, it doesn't mean you'll never be a vet. Come up with a plan for next year - where will you shadow/volunteer? etc, and take some time to relax. Read some books you love, go have an adventure outdoors, play with a dog. It'll be okay, I promise. :)

Reactions: 11 users
Do file reviews! It's easy to get lost in the 'I didn't get in' blues, but speaking with the school and finding out what you can improve (and what is already really strong!) gives a little emotional relief. You have direction (you KNOW what you need to work on, you're not just guessing) and you have a little confidence bump (you KNOW what the school liked and why they interviewed you, and with all your insider knowledge from this cycle you're in a great position to prepare for next year).

Take a deep breath. Rejection sucks but it's not the end, it doesn't mean you won't be accepted next time or by another school, it doesn't mean you'll never be a vet. Come up with a plan for next year - where will you shadow/volunteer? etc, and take some time to relax. Read some books you love, go have an adventure outdoors, play with a dog. It'll be okay, I promise. :)

Thank you for this :cat:

Oh yeah, I would definitely get a greyhound :)
My sweet foster Yamaha has a home for the holidays

Attachments

• IMG_3276.JPG
    IMG_3276.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Ahhhhh!!!!

It is with much joy that I share that I got the ochem grade I was hoping to finish with! So ochem is only tied for my worst class of undergrad. :p

Also crunched numbers and I have to do extremely well second semester, but I'm not out of the race for this year. :)

Reactions: 10 users
Ahhhhh!!!!

It is with much joy that I share that I got the ochem grade I was hoping to finish with! So ochem is only tied for my worst class of undergrad. :p

Also crunched numbers and I have to do extremely well second semester, but I'm not out of the race for this year. :)
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYYYY BBC!!!!!! YOU CAN DO ITTTTTT I BELIEVE IN YOUUUUU

I haven’t been on here in such a long time but i loved catching up on the threads! Such a positive community ❤️! Definitely have imposter syndrome though, i got an interview to 2 schools and got into one school but then rejected by 8 . Trying to focus on the positive, my dream is becoming a reality! and these pep talks help, knowing people are going through a similar emotional roller coaster.

Reactions: 8 users