Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would it be a bad move to say I am interested in a specific specialty (because of my research, class, and personal experience with a pet) if I haven't shadowed a vet of that particular specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be a bad move to say I am interested in a specific specialty (because of my research, class, and personal experience with a pet) if I haven't shadowed a vet of that particular specialty?

I don't think it would be bad. Just back it up with reasons why you are interested. It may also be worth mentioning other areas of practice you are interested in based on shadowing too, that way it shows diversity but also you have done your research too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What do you guys think of using statements like "I will do X and Y" or "I am going to do X and Y" as opposed to "I want to do X and Y" for the personal statement? I think it gives off the vibe that I am confident in my ability to accomplish X and Y, but I'm not sure if it comes off too strong. What are your guys' thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think of using statements like "I will do X and Y" or "I am going to do X and Y" as opposed to "I want to do X and Y" for the personal statement? I think it gives off the vibe that I am confident in my ability to accomplish X and Y, but I'm not sure if it comes off too strong. What are your guys' thoughts?

Depends. Are you talking about career goals? I'd lean more towards "I want to" than "I will." You want to sound open-minded and not the type of person who would be miserable if you don't end up specializing in surgery/zoo med/whatever. For other contexts, "I will" might be fine.

EDIT: "I plan to..." might be a good in-between.

Depends. Are you talking about career goals? I'd lean more towards "I want to" than "I will." You want to sound open-minded and not the type of person who would be miserable if you don't end up specializing in surgery/zoo med/whatever. For other contexts, "I will" might be fine.

EDIT: "I plan to..." might be a good in-between.
I am trying this sort of wording out in the "what ways do vets contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute" section. For example: "I am going to emotionally support the client while still providing my professional opinion on what is best for the patient."

I am trying this sort of wording out in the "what ways do vets contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute" section. For example: "I am going to emotionally support the client while still providing my professional opinion on what is best for the patient."

Ah, in that case I think it's fine to use stronger language. I would use "I will" instead of "I am going to," and definitely not use "I want to" in that context. As long as the rest of your essay convinces adcoms that you really can and will do those things, you're good.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am confused about the Transcript Entry section of the application. I entered all of the information from my transcripts, however, I am unable to enter which of my courses fulfill the pre-requisites for every school. Do I have to "Review&Finalize My Transcripts" in order for the Transcript Entry section to be complete? What is the process to do this?

Hi, I am confused about the Transcript Entry section of the application. I entered all of the information from my transcripts, however, I am unable to enter which of my courses fulfill the pre-requisites for every school. Do I have to "Review&Finalize My Transcripts" in order for the Transcript Entry section to be complete? What is the process to do this?
Yep, I think I remember that you have to review and finalize the transcripts before you can select what they're prereqs for.

I think you do that in the school-specific section (like the supplementals part on the vmcas). This is after you are done reviewing and finalizing transcripts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

But you can review and finalize your transcripts without having to pay/submit the application, correct?

Some pages back in this thread there was some talk of creating a thread specifically for our 3 dumb VMCAS questions. Does that exist yet? I did find the thread with the people willing to read our statements but not one where we discuss our trials and tribulations....

Some pages back in this thread there was some talk of creating a thread specifically for our 3 dumb VMCAS questions. Does that exist yet? I did find the thread with the people willing to read our statements but not one where we discuss our trials and tribulations....

Nope, no such thread.

In the past, writing prompts have mostly been discussed in the Class of 20__ Hopefuls threads. There's also a VMCAS thread for your class, and I guess it could go there. Generally, there are more responses if things stay in 1 or 2 main threads instead of lots of little threads, but it's up to you.

Nope, no such thread.

In the past, writing prompts have mostly been discussed in the Class of 20__ Hopefuls threads. There's also a VMCAS thread for your class, and I guess it could go there. Generally, there are more responses if things stay in 1 or 2 main threads instead of lots of little threads, but it's up to you.
It does exist. I think it's called like VMCAS c/o 22 or something. It's for all your dumb questions about filling about VMCAS and such, not just specifically the three personal statement prompts.

Edit: here it is

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It does exist. I think it's called like VMCAS c/o 22 or something. It's for all your dumb questions about filling about VMCAS and such, not just specifically the three personal statement prompts.

Edit: here it is

Oh right. I've even posted on that thread before. Hadn't seen anyone discuss the essay prompts there yet.

In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?
Has anybody started on this prompt? I am really confused with this topic. Any ideas???

I'm finding this one weird as well. I feel like I either start talking about the same thing I do in my career goals prompt or I start talking about what I have to offer, which should really go in the "attributes of a succesful vet" prompt. -_-

Hope everybody is holding up well! I take my GRE tomorrow and I'm super nervous. My application is probably about 75% finished...I feel like I'm running a marathon!

Hope everybody is holding up well! I take my GRE tomorrow and I'm super nervous. My application is probably about 75% finished...I feel like I'm running a marathon!

I take mine tomorrow too! Good luck!!!

Good luck to you both!

A last minute tip: when you're using the calculator, use the number pad on the computer keyboard. Much faster than clicking on the numbers!

Reactions: 1 users
Are you still alive after it?

For the personal readers do we just send them a message asking if they would review our question answers?

Just finished my GRE. 151V and 145Q. How toast am I? I am going to retake the 31st of this month. If anyone has advise for the math portion, please send them my way!

Just finished my GRE. 151V and 145Q. How toast am I? I am going to retake the 31st of this month. If anyone has advise for the math portion, please send them my way!
What have you been using for math prep? When I first started prepping for GRE my practice score was somewhere in the low 140s, when I took it I got a 153. I used Kaplan math prep book and then magoosh. ETS also has links to Khan Academy videos related to math material on the GRE (which is free yay!)

What have you been using for math prep? When I first started prepping for GRE my practice score was somewhere in the low 140s, when I took it I got a 153. I used Kaplan math prep book and then magoosh. ETS also has links to Khan Academy videos related to math material on the GRE (which is free yay!)
I'm using the same! I have the comprehensive Kaplan book and I just bought magoosh.

What was your study strategy going in? I struggled with the math portion for awhile, don't lose hope! Magoosh helped me raise my score by 10 points in quantitative after about 4 weeks of study, I would definitely recommend their program!

What was your study strategy going in? I struggled with the math portion for awhile, don't lose hope! Magoosh helped me raise my score by 10 points in quantitative after about 4 weeks of study, I would definitely recommend their program!
I have about 3 weeks before my next GRE exam and I have Magoosh, how did you use it? did you watch lectures then practice? 10 point increase would be incredible for me!

I didn't really watch the lectures, I tried to do the practice sets as much as I could and then watch the videos for the problems I missed. Try to identify which problems are the ones that are tripping you up and look up extra practice problems for that type if that makes sense. I think just regular practice and setting a schedule is what made a difference. It's so hard and frustrating but the more that you can put yourself in the situation as if it were the real test, the better you're going to feel on test day. Hope that helped! :)

Reactions: 1 users
@FutureDVMc/o2022 I second (third? fourth?) putting time into Magoosh. I only had about a month to study for the GRE and did really well and I think it was primarily due to Magoosh. I had previously taken it 6 years ago (my score expired which is why I had to re-take it) and used Kaplan products. Everyone is different, but I did better on the exam this time around after only studying a month with Magoosh than I did last time studying for like 3 months with Kaplan.

Re: use of Magoosh. I didn't watch any of the lessons on Magoosh because of my time restraints, I just took practice questions. If I got a question wrong then I watched the video or read the description they gave of how to do it right. Once I was doing pretty decent on the practice questions, I took one of the full length practice tests about a week before my exam. I then went over the stuff I missed on that, did more practice questions, and then took a second full length test a couple of days before my real test (I didn't want to do it the night before and burn out).

Magoosh actually has a suggested study schedule based on how many weeks you have to study. I liked that it was realistic (they had schedules for people who had like 6 months to study, but also more realistic ones for people who only had a couple of weeks). I think it's on their site. Good luck!

@FutureDVMc/o2022 I second (third? fourth?) putting time into Magoosh. I only had about a month to study for the GRE and did really well and I think it was primarily due to Magoosh. I had previously taken it 6 years ago (my score expired which is why I had to re-take it) and used Kaplan products. Everyone is different, but I did better on the exam this time around after only studying a month with Magoosh than I did last time studying for like 3 months with Kaplan.

Re: use of Magoosh. I didn't watch any of the lessons on Magoosh because of my time restraints, I just took practice questions. If I got a question wrong then I watched the video or read the description they gave of how to do it right. Once I was doing pretty decent on the practice questions, I took one of the full length practice tests about a week before my exam. I then went over the stuff I missed on that, did more practice questions, and then took a second full length test a couple of days before my real test (I didn't want to do it the night before and burn out).

Magoosh actually has a suggested study schedule based on how many weeks you have to study. I liked that it was realistic (they had schedules for people who had like 6 months to study, but also more realistic ones for people who only had a couple of weeks). I think it's on their site. Good luck!
Thank you so much! I recently purchased Magoosh so after today the next 25 days or so I will be solely dedicated to the math! And some verbal as I feel I only need a couple more points so I will practice as well.

Thank you so much! I recently purchased Magoosh so after today the next 25 days or so I will be solely dedicated to the math! And some verbal as I feel I only need a couple more points so I will practice as well.

Good luck!!!! I was in the same boat - I focused on quant but did some verbal and my verbal surprisingly went up a few points too. 100% felt like it was worth it. You'll be great!

Good luck!!!! I was in the same boat - I focused on quant but did some verbal and my verbal surprisingly went up a few points too. 100% felt like it was worth it. You'll be great!
Thank you for the advise and support! It is very appreciated in moments like these!

I'm alive. Lol. I wish I had done better though. Verbal 155 and quant 151

I scored a bit higher on the verbal but my Quant was the same as yours and still received invites to 8 of the 13 (overkill, I know lol) schools I applied to with otherwise average stats. Scoring as high as possible is better of course, but don't beat yourself up too much over the GRE! Apply to the schools that your stats are best suited to and you guys will be fine :)

Last edited:
I scored a bit higher on the verbal but my Quant was the same as yours and still received invites to 8 of the 13 (overkill, I know lol) schools I applied to with otherwise average stats. Scoring as high as possible is better of course, but don't beat yourself up too much over the GRE! Apply to the schools that your stats are best suited too and you guys will be fine :)
Thanks! I needed to hear that! Where do you currently attend?

Where tf have you been, simba?

SDN caused me more than enough stress in the year leading up to applying and moreso while waiting to hear from schools so I've mostly gone back to being the occasional lurker :rolleyes:

SDN caused me more than enough stress in the year leading up to applying and moreso while waiting to hear from schools so I've mostly gone back to being the occasional lurker :rolleyes:
But there's nothing for it to cause you stress about now! :D
(except like...the difficulty of school, loans, job market, etc etc)

Reactions: 6 users
Shhhh shhhhh shhhhhhh

For those who have applied or will apply to Mississippi State:

Does anyone know if the 8 credit hours of Organic Chem can be met by 2, 3 hour lectures and 1, 2 hour lab (8 hours total) or do I have to take Organic Chem 2 lab?? Thanks in advance :)

(Also the stress of trying to keep from being lynched in WW... not that Simba plays, BUT HE SHOULD)

Has anyone worked on the UPenn supplemental app yet? I'm wondering how in depth the "describe your interest" question is regarding which area of veterinary medicine we're interested in pursuing. I don't see a world or character count, I don't want to make it too long nor too short. Thanks!!

We can input non-academic awards and honors, correct? I have some extracurricular activities I have received honors for and have discussed those in pretty much every part of my application in some form so I would like to include them if they allow me!

Side note: I'm completely done with my vmcas application now, besides these last few honors/awards and one more revision of my personal statement! I'm going to take a few weeks off from it to rest and then come and check over everything one last time next month.

We can input non-academic awards and honors, correct? I have some extracurricular activities I have received honors for and have discussed those in pretty much every part of my application in some form so I would like to include them if they allow me!
Yup! All are welcomed.

Has anyone worked on the UPenn supplemental app yet? I'm wondering how in depth the "describe your interest" question is regarding which area of veterinary medicine we're interested in pursuing. I don't see a world or character count, I don't want to make it too long nor too short. Thanks!!
As it turns out there is a character count. I believe it was 600 characters. I think it's just meant to explain your area of interest a bit more thoroughly than just what it is

As it turns out there is a character count. I believe it was 600 characters. I think it's just meant to explain your area of interest a bit more thoroughly than just what it is

Oh perfect thank you!

Hey guys,
I have tried searching for help with the current vmcas essay questions, as a former applicant told me she received tons of help from people who helped her edit her essay....I cannot seem to find the thread for it or how to ask for help. I've seen people post on here but I never see an answer....Can you help point me in the right direction/ link to the correct thread to talk about them?