Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like it's gonna be class of 2022! That's okay, all of my c/o '21 SDN friends are leaving me.

Girl, you still have two schools left to hear from! It's not over until it's over!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I just got accepted into Iowa. Absolutely a beautiful school. The facilities are top notch and everyone there was so warm and welcoming. It definitely felt right.. but the tuition is on the pricier end. However, a lot of students live in a trailer park close to campus to cost of living costs are very low. @Old-Country-Vet-Tech

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone at or looking at Iowa or Ohio.. Im trying to decide between them or KSU. Id be OOS. Pm me :)

I'm looking to apply to all three! The vet I currently am with is a KSU alum and my graduate advisor highly suggested KSU to me as well so I only have heard good things. I really like Iowa, but have to ask about their Ochem prereq...I have 6 credits with lab not 7 argh. I'm on the fence for Ohio, but they have a really awesome Food Safety research facility I want to do some work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kansas really loves last 45 and science gpa so that a good choice if those are strong points. Iowa too likes last 45 and science as well. Ohio is tougher to get into OOS IMHO because I applied to all three and I got rejected from OSU but interviews at Kansas and Iowa.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone at or looking at Iowa or Ohio.. Im trying to decide between them or KSU. Id be OOS. Pm me :)

Ohio State let's you become a resident after the first year, for what it's worth. The CVM has recently beeen undergoing a lot of renovations that are pretty cool. And Columbus is fabulous.

But I may be a tad biased because I have an interview there in 2 weeks lol

Reactions: 2 users
Ohio State let's you become a resident after the first year, for what it's worth. The CVM has recently beeen undergoing a lot of renovations that are pretty cool. And Columbus is fabulous.

But I may be a tad biased because I have an interview there in 2 weeks lol

Best of luck with your interview! I'm nervous to apply to Ohio since I noticed their average veterinary hours are 3k+ and I'll only be applying with just over 1k (and an average GPA/GRE).... but the fact you can switch to IS is awesome. It actually would be cheaper for me to go to Ohio than my IS ... sigh

I just got accepted into Iowa. Absolutely a beautiful school. The facilities are top notch and everyone there was so warm and welcoming. It definitely felt right.. but the tuition is on the pricier end. However, a lot of students live in a trailer park close to campus to cost of living costs are very low. @Old-Country-Vet-Tech

Im curious about tuition as it says 20k-23k for non resident. Is that per semester? Its cheaper or around what most OOS schools charge. Auburn and LMU are in the 40k's

Best of luck with your interview! I'm nervous to apply to Ohio since I noticed their average veterinary hours are 3k+ and I'll only be applying with just over 1k (and an average GPA/GRE).... but the fact you can switch to IS is awesome. It actually would be cheaper for me to go to Ohio than my IS ... sigh

I applied with about 1200-ish veterinary, for what it's worth! They actually stopped putting the average hours on their class stats because they don't want people to feel like they need 3k to be competitive. They value diversity a lot. I have a good bit research and animal experience hours too.

I'm in love with Ohio:)

Im curious about tuition as it says 20k-23k for non resident. Is that per semester? Its cheaper or around what most OOS schools charge. Auburn and LMU are in the 40k's

Yes that is per semester, there is also an extra 20k fee for the summer between 3rd and 4th year which I did not know before applying. This is actually one of the more expensive schools for OOS.

Girl, you still have two schools left to hear from! It's not over until it's over!!!!
Correction, now I only have one left to hear from.
giphy.gif

Yeah but not my IS. I'm just hoping and praying that the connections I've made over there will be enough

I've learned that connections are very very important. I think they will likely benefit you more than you think!

Members don't see this ad :)

That's per semester. I'm the acceptance notification it said tuition is 50,000.

I've learned that connections are very very important. I think they will likely benefit you more than you think!

Hopefully!!!! It sucks that they don't interview OOS. I'm a very charming person (in the good way) and I'm good in interviews, and so I believe I would have no problem getting in if I got to interview.

I am graduating in May, but I don't think I'm getting into the two schools I applied to...we shall see what January brings. At this point I'm preparing myself for a nice gap year! Anyone know of some cool internships for the fall? I'm applying to a few of the Merial research co-ops, but I'm not sure if they're going to kick me out since I'll already have a BS (but sill intending to go for a DVM and PhD). Does anyone have experience with those?

Hopefully!!!! It sucks that they don't interview OOS. I'm a very charming person (in the good way) and I'm good in interviews, and so I believe I would have no problem getting in if I got to interview.

"Knowing" you on SDN I seriously have no doubts about that!:)

Kansas really loves last 45 and science gpa so that a good choice if those are strong points. Iowa too likes last 45 and science as well. Ohio is tougher to get into OOS IMHO because I applied to all three and I got rejected from OSU but interviews at Kansas and Iowa.

Im debating Kansas. I like LMU but I have a few reservations. Id definitely go to then over Ross and the island schools as the cost of living is cheaper. They are on my short list to be sure. Just trying to narrow it down.

Keep in mind that cost of living will vary with location. Iowa has higher tuition than Ohio, but the cost of living is much lower. This map isn't perfect, but it will help you compare and you can toggle between just tuition and tuition + living costs: http://www.vinfoundation.org/apputil/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=5327182&said=-1

Following this thread because I just have a really bad feeling about the three schools I'm still waiting to hear from.... lol starting to think about a gap year consisting of retaking the GRE and OChem II (got a C-), working at the clinic for $$$ and more experience, and some horseback riding as a mental break :) Good thing is my last 45 will be really strong for the next cycle as I just got a 3.8 this semester and hoping to get around that next semester as well

Kansas was my number 1 OOS choice when I was applying. . I would definitely recommend if you have a good last 45 GPA.

Keep in mind that cost of living will vary with location. Iowa has higher tuition than Ohio, but the cost of living is much lower. This map isn't perfect, but it will help you compare and you can toggle between just tuition and tuition + living costs: http://www.vinfoundation.org/apputil/project/defaultadv1.aspx?id=5327182&said=-1

I second this. I used this map as the main way of choosing schools. I had Ohio State but dropped them after mulling over the cost of tuition. All the schools I applied to were in the top 1/3 or so overall from a cost standpoint but that was most important to me when applying.

I second this. I used this map as the main way of choosing schools. I had Ohio State but dropped them after mulling over the cost of tuition. All the schools I applied to were in the top 1/3 or so overall from a cost standpoint but that was most important to me when applying.

Yeah, it was my main way of deciding. I applied to Ohio State, got an interview, and am now regretting it... their tuition went up a lot just since I applied this summer. I'm a non-trad with some expired pre-reqs so that also limited me (part of the reason why I applied to OSU this year is because next year, my credits will be too old for them.)

For you 2022ers, definitely look at tuition and cost of living (and where you can change residency- the map includes that). If you can change your class schedule next semester so you can apply to less expensive schools, do it!

Yeah, it was my main way of deciding. I applied to Ohio State, got an interview, and am now regretting it... their tuition went up a lot just since I applied this summer. I'm a non-trad with some expired pre-reqs so that also limited me (part of the reason why I applied to OSU this year is because next year, my credits will be too old for them.)

For you 2022ers, definitely look at tuition and cost of living (and where you can change residency- the map includes that). If you can change your class schedule next semester so you can apply to less expensive schools, do it!

Exactly... and Iowa State went up too. I could've sworn it was like 45,000 but the acceptance letter had it at 50,000. If that's the only school I get into then I'm going. I'd be excited and happy to go, but it would be nice to have a cheaper alternative such as my Purdue or Mizzou.

Kansas was my number 1 OOS choice when I was applying. . I would definitely recommend if you have a good last 45 GPA.

Define 'good'. Next cycle, my last 45 GPA will be a lot better (my current one is a 3.48 but that's because I got a 3.13 last fall- I then had 4 hours of a 4.0, 15 hours of a 3.5 and 15 hours of 3.53. Next semester should be good. The only hard classes are biochem 2 and biochem lab... And then just physics 2, a research class, and statistics

I'm looking to apply to all three! The vet I currently am with is a KSU alum and my graduate advisor highly suggested KSU to me as well so I only have heard good things. I really like Iowa, but have to ask about their Ochem prereq...I have 6 credits with lab not 7 argh. I'm on the fence for Ohio, but they have a really awesome Food Safety research facility I want to do some work with.

As long as you have organic chem 1 and 2 with with at least 1 lab, you should be fine for ISU. I can't imagine that they'd be really big sticklers on the credit hours thing if you've taken the pre-requisite classes since every school does it differently (at my undergrad, organic chem 1 and 2 with their respective labs were worth 10 credit hours total). I'd shoot them an email just to be sure, but I doubt it's much of an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been stalking this thread since I got my first rejection letter. Midwestern is my last hope for vet school this year. I'm waitlisted to interview... I am not sure how likely it will be to get off that waitlist but I'm hoping in April the list will start to move. But I'm already taking steps to ready myself for applying next year!

Doesn't hurt to prepare for complete and utter rejection this cycle. Hello, possible fellow c/o 2022ers!

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like this thread is just filled with all of us unsure class of 2021 peeps! I feel so unsure about this cycle but I really hope I won't be a hopeful on here for next year! I have received two rejections, two waitlists, and then one more interview to go in January. There's still hope but we'll see how it goes!

Reactions: 6 users
@cdoconn as a fellow okstater, lol, i hope you get into Okstate! Im rooting for you

Looks like it's gonna be class of 2022! That's okay, all of my c/o '21 SDN friends are leaving me.
We're all leaving because we hate you. ;):p:whistle:

(but also best of luck! Funny story, my best friend from middle school is actually in OK State's early acceptance program for the vet school and she'll be class of 2021)

We're all leaving because we hate you. ;):p:whistle:

(but also best of luck! Funny story, my best friend from middle school is actually in OK State's early acceptance program for the vet school and she'll be class of 2021)
Huh. I was in the early acceptance program (key word being *was* (got kicked out sophomore year because of ochem 1 and they don't reaccept you if your grades go back up). When did she enter college? We might've been in the same class!

Huh. I was in the early acceptance program (key word being *was* (got kicked out sophomore year because of ochem 1 and they don't reaccept you if your grades go back up). When did she enter college? We might've been in the same class!
I think she would've started in 2013? My frame of reference is all off ever since I skipped a grade around high school but that sounds right. She's big on horses and dressage.

I think she would've started in 2013? My frame of reference is all off ever since I skipped a grade around high school but that sounds right. She's big on horses and dressage.
Ahh okay! The year before me! Yeah I probably wouldn't know her.

Doesn't hurt to prepare for complete and utter rejection this cycle. Hello, possible fellow c/o 2022ers!
I applied to one school this year ( didn't follow the do's and dont's thread) but I knew I was on the edge for almost everything. Taking this time from Jan to May to polish my application. I think everything transfers over besides LORs but I'm glad I get the chance to add some awesome experience that I was able to take part in after September. I'm working with a farm to up my livestock hours,and poking around to see about getting some more small animal hours.

Your name made me laugh, just letting you know.

I applied to one school this year ( didn't follow the do's and dont's thread) but I knew I was on the edge for almost everything. Taking this time from Jan to May to polish my application. I think everything transfers over besides LORs but I'm glad I get the chance to add some awesome experience that I was able to take part in after September. I'm working with a farm to up my livestock hours,and poking around to see about getting some more small animal hours.

Your name made me laugh, just letting you know.

I think gap years can be a blessing in disguise, honestly, if your undergrad was also particularly stressful. It's nice to have some money saved up from working too!

And thanks!! I use this username for everything non-academic (gaming etc.), my boyfriend uses Greatest Butt so it's an inside joke between us.

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed. Absolutely nothing wrong with gap years and I really, truly wish that I had taken at least one before starting vet school. Hindsight is 20/20.

I took a gap year before applying for my Masters and absolutely do not regret it. I worked full time as a tech and got to really see everything that goes on in practice and learned how to do so much stuff. I loved the time off. It gave my body and mind time to recooperate after my undergrad as I was not in a good place mentally after undergrad ended. Long story short, gap years are great.

I took three years off to retake courses and get experience in. I tech for large animal still and worked at the local SPCA shot clinic.

I agree with my boss who said I was just on the edge with everything, and my quant GRE was horrid. Im lucky that she also took 3 years off between undergrad and had a lot of the same issues ( parental figure death..needed to retake courses) so she understands where I'm coming from.

I'm hoping next year will be better, I'm trying to get some more SA hours while in Gainesville. Hoping someone will take me on up there to bump the 400ish I have a good bit higher.

Last edited:
I am a 2022 hopeful will be a first time applicant. For those that have already applied to Ohio State, did they replace repeated course grades for you or average the grades? I have not found this answer anywhere or heard a response back from admissions (But I understand it is a very busy time for them). Ohio State is my IS and is my top choice.

I am a 2022 hopeful will be a first time applicant. For those that have already applied to Ohio State, did they replace repeated course grades for you or average the grades? I have not found this answer anywhere or heard a response back from admissions (But I understand it is a very busy time for them). Ohio State is my IS and is my top choice.

For some reason I was thinking I read somewhere that they did replace grades, but I honestly am not 100% sure.

For some reason I was thinking I read somewhere that they did replace grades, but I honestly am not 100% sure.

Thank you! Hopefully I will hear back from admissions with a definite answer.