Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yoda-patience-young-padawan.jpg

You guys are the best.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
None of the 4 schools I applied to have gotten back to me yet.
Oregon = "early next week"
CSU = Dec 15
NC State = "mid December"
WSU = ????
ahhhhhhh this is making me crazy :mad::mad::mad:
WSU should be around December 15th!! I go to WSU for undergrad and my advisor said the 15th. Also could just be saying that to shut me up so I stop asking...:nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 user
WSU should be around December 15th!! I go to WSU for undergrad and my advisor said the 15th. Also could just be saying that to shut me up so I stop asking...:nailbiting:
Some people have already had interview offers for WSU (I am one of them) I got mine the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, but another friend of mine didn't get her declination until last week. Several people on the WSU thread have still not heard back so maybe it's Dec 15 at the latest?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people have already had interview offers for WSU (I am one of them) I got mine the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, but another friend of mine didn't get her declination until last week. Several people on the WSU thread have still not heard back so maybe it's Dec 15 at the latest?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
@ChoopLoops is in state.

Also, for everyone frantically checking your email continuously, if you have a mac, I highly recommend having the mail app open and synced to your email. This has allowed me to see emails from the interview offers almost immediately (perhaps I spend too much time at my computer?) lol.

Guys there is actually hope for me in ochem!

Found a YouTube series that explains stuff super well, has tons of practice problems, and it now is making sense! Plus since it is so much faster than reading the textbook I'll be able to get through all of the material before my final.

Reactions: 9 users

Yay, thanks for the info @Markir21!

Yeah, the OOS and WICHE people have heard back it seems like. I'm IS so still waiting...our interviews aren't til Feb so I guess they figured they can drag the invites out :confused:

Guys there is actually hope for me in ochem!

Found a YouTube series that explains stuff super well, has tons of practice problems, and it now is making sense! Plus since it is so much faster than reading the textbook I'll be able to get through all of the material before my final.
Use clutchprep! It was a lifesaver...you can try it free and then if you like it it’s like 27 a month. It’s based on your book with videos to match your chapter.

For anyone that applied to Illinois: Got an email today. Made it past phase I and they will send emails approx the 2nd week in Jan for interview invites. Good luck everyone :)

Yay, thanks for the info @Markir21!

Yeah, the OOS and WICHE people have heard back it seems like. I'm IS so still waiting...our interviews aren't til Feb so I guess they figured they can drag the invites out :confused:
Thats rough -- I also heard right before Thanksgiving. Best of luck, let us know!

For all of you struggling with O Chem, I have a story . . .

I loved O Chem but was awful at learning it. Mechanisms were my favorite things ever, but memorizing reagents killed me so badly. My lecture grades were D's the first times and C's the second. (Yes, I took two full years to make it through a 1-year course sequence. This was not a happy time in my life :p) My professor for 3/4 semesters knew me because I was often asking questions after class and asking for help during office hours, and I did a couple extra credit projects that were memorable. But I was constantly well below the class average on exams - I was definitely in the lower 50% of every class I had with him.

This fall I got an email from O Chem prof. He moved to a new school where he's doing mostly research, and he wanted to email his best students from his years at my undergrad and let us know if we ever want a LOR or anything he's happy to write one for us.

I was a C/D student. How did I get onto this email list? :laugh: It would be hilarious if I actually asked him for a LOR because I think admissions committees would be SO confused. So, even if you think things are going poorly, you might be making a better impression with your effort than you think.

Reactions: 11 users
Was sitting at a 93 in biochem but don't think I hit a 93 on the final. Bummer. two finals left to go, need to keep chugging along lol

Reactions: 1 users
My cat just slobbered all over my arm then licked it up. It's the little things

Reactions: 6 users
I'm trying to get through the protein metabolism section of my animal nutrition course and its soooo boring and my dog keeps wanting me to play with him XD

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to get through the protein metabolism section of my animal nutrition course and its soooo boring and my dog keeps wanting me to play with him XD
Yeah one of these oddballs pummeled me so hard last night I have little scratches on my stomach. I mean dudes, come on. They really truly think I am their mom lol

I've been going between fits of "I got this! I actually got this!" and hysterical meltdowns about how my vet school aspirations are over. As much as I enjoy ochem (when I understand it), I absolutely cannot wait to be done with this class. Currently the plan is to go basically directly from the final out to a bar with one of my best friends. :laugh:

Regardless, Jazzy, that's a great mark! I'm scared for biochem next semester.

Reactions: 5 users
I've been going between fits of "I got this! I actually got this!" and hysterical meltdowns about how my vet school aspirations are over. As much as I enjoy ochem (when I understand it), I absolutely cannot wait to be done with this class. Currently the plan is to go basically directly from the final out to a bar with one of my best friends. :laugh:

Ochem sucked but I loved biochem. You can do it! You're so close!

Oh god. Biochem was BRUTAL for me. It was taught by a prof who used to teach biochem at a medical school :eek:
Mine was brutal because the multiple choice portion of the exams had G options including "none of the above" "all of the above" "some of the above" or would have "a and b" "a b and c" etc

I was terribly uninformed when picking which biochem class and went with the one my advisor told me

Oh god. Biochem was BRUTAL for me. It was taught by a prof who used to teach biochem at a medical school :eek:
3 of my bio classes were taught by someone who also taught med students for like 20+ years and was a big shot research dude lol. Freshman year was brutal but A&P has been my favorite class and he actually ended up writing one of my letters of rec.

Also @SkiOtter I'm laughing so hard because I go to such a small school I'm thinking, there are different biochem classes? lol. We have one that you can only take fall semester. Two lab sections. They tried to offer an advanced biochem this spring but no one signed up so they cancelled it

3 of my bio classes were taught by someone who also taught med students for like 20+ years and was a big shot research dude lol. Freshman year was brutal but A&P has been my favorite class and he actually ended up writing one of my letters of rec.

Also @SkiOtter I'm laughing so hard because I go to such a small school I'm thinking, there are different biochem classes? lol. We have one that you can only take fall semester. Two lab sections. They tried to offer an advanced biochem this spring but no one signed up so they cancelled it
At my school we had two sections, but I picked which one I did based almost entirely on the attractiveness of the professor. I never missed a class and paid attention a lot and ended up doing really well in it. :whistle:

Reactions: 7 users
Hey SkiSki @SkiOtter , how is your cycle going so far? Haven't heard you mention anything about it. Fingers crossed that this is your year (and it better be since you were so close last time!).

The only biochem prof for the biochem class I am taking is apparently pretty terrible. However some lovely humans from the Pre-Vet club have already offered to help me out by sharing their old notes with me.

Haha yeaaaaahhhhhh I went to a v large university. There was an intro biochem in the Chem department, biochem department, AND molec and cellular bio department :laugh:
Hey SkiSki @SkiOtter , how is your cycle going so far? Haven't heard you mention anything about it. Fingers crossed that this is your year (and it better be since you were so close last time!).
So far have an interview at Kansas state and have made it to phase 2 at Illinois :hardy:
I'm hoping it's both of our years this year!!

Reactions: 8 users

Ehhh I tend to enjoy a lot of things that other people hate, so maybe not the best opinion haha. Good biochem background was helpful for our half-semester cell bio class earlier during first semester. Not sure all schools have a cell bio or biochem-type class first year, but having biochem is useful.

When you get to vet school all your classes are taught but such people so good practice haha

Last edited:
Haha yeaaaaahhhhhh I went to a v large university. There was an intro biochem in the Chem department, biochem department, AND molec and cellular bio department :laugh:

So far have an interview at Kansas state and have made it to phase 2 at Illinois :hardy:
I'm hoping it's both of our years this year!!
Are you applying to MSU?

I am a non-traditional student - full time high school science teacher. I can't take courses in the traditional since so I spent all semester dying with online medical biochem with UF. It was brutal and averages were straight 50's for the classes. Thank goodness it is done and I feel free.

I am a non-traditional student - full time high school science teacher. I can't take courses in the traditional since so I spent all semester dying with online medical biochem with UF. It was brutal and averages were straight 50's for the classes. Thank goodness it is done and I feel free.
I'm a non-trad and also took online biochem... would not recommend. What a nightmare lol

Funnily enough though, biochem has been my best class so far in vet school. Good teachers and relevant clinical examples make a difference.

I'm a non-trad and also took online biochem... would not recommend. What a nightmare lol

Funnily enough though, biochem has been my best class so far in vet school. Good teachers and relevant clinical examples make a difference.
I took biochemistry through the University of Wisconsin online, and it was a great course with just a few frustrations.

I took biochem (and micro, didn't learn my lesson the first time) as a night class which meant I basically never went to class, didn't do well, and honestly I'm not sure how I got into vet school sometimes.

At my school we had two sections, but I picked which one I did based almost entirely on the attractiveness of the professor. I never missed a class and paid attention a lot and ended up doing really well in it. :whistle:
I really should have considered this method...

Hysterical meltdown of the evening has commenced.

Mine was brutal because the multiple choice portion of the exams had G options including "none of the above" "all of the above" "some of the above" or would have "a and b" "a b and c" etc

I was terribly uninformed when picking which biochem class and went with the one my advisor told me

Sounds like mine. The questions are like “which of the following is true” and it had a-d and then like a&b d&a three of them all of them or none of them. It was a BLAST.
Oh and it was an online course...by far my worst class experience

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Way late on this but you can do it BBC!
When my brain starts getting melty I find it best to step away from the material, maybe go for a short walk, eat a snack, or take a quick power nap. Let your brain process things for a bit then come back to it.

Reactions: 5 users
When my brain starts getting melty I find it best to step away from the material, maybe go for a short walk, eat a snack, or take a quick power nap. Let your brain process things for a bit then come back to it.

I definitely found myself vacuuming my apartment at 10pm last night for this very reason lol

Reactions: 4 users
I definitely found myself vacuuming my apartment at 10pm last night for this very reason lol

This is way more productive than I ever am while having a study meltdown

....like right now lol
I definitely procrastibake instead

I did 6 loads of laundry and vacuumed my entire apartment last week, the day before my anesthesiology final I think?
Procrasticleaning is rare for me though. That's when you know things have gotten bad.

So sorry. Been there, it sucks. Applying to vet school on top of hard coursework and everything else in life is tough, stressful stuff.

Sometimes you just gotta have an emotional release, take a breather, and then get back to it. Totally okay.

And hey - you can do this, you really can! :highfive: There is light at the end of the tunnel - promise.

I did 6 loads of laundry and vacuumed my entire apartment last week, the day before my anesthesiology final I think?
Procrasticleaning is rare for me though. That's when you know things have gotten bad.

Whenever my roommate or I go on a cleaning spree, we get concerned and check in with each other to verify whether it is stress cleaning or just productive cleaning :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds like mine. The questions are like “which of the following is true” and it had a-d and then like a&b d&a three of them all of them or none of them. It was a BLAST.
Oh and it was an online course...by far my worst class experience

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
High school bio prof had "bubble all of the correct answers." No partial credit. A-E.

****ing sadist imo.
honestly I'm not sure how I got into vet school sometimes.
^me in a nutshell.

High school bio prof had "bubble all of the correct answers." No partial credit. A-E.

****ing sadist imo.

^me in a nutshell.

yeah, I don't like these. I mean, I get why they do this, but still. I can usually reason my way into or out of those kinds of questions all day long. either make it straight forward or a short answer. Not that bs. haha

yeah, I don't like these. I mean, I get why they do this, but still. I can usually reason my way into or out of those kinds of questions all day long. either make it straight forward or a short answer. Not that bs. haha
Same. A lot of our vet school test questions are like this, and it is incredibly frustrating to look back and realize I talked myself out of correct answers.

They also tend to include "all of the above" as an option, then have 4/5 of the other answers be correct with just one little stickler answer that makes it "a, b, c and d", not "all of the above". Super annoying. Or will just have one correct answer on a question with a bunch of combo options, which always freaks me out even if I know only one of the answers is correct.

I also get why they do them...but my test anxiety and attention issues are still not a fan lol

Reactions: 4 users
TFW your study guide is hella boring so you keep checking SDN for notifications XD

So sorry. Been there, it sucks. Applying to vet school on top of hard coursework and everything else in life is tough, stressful stuff.

Sometimes you just gotta have an emotional release, take a breather, and then get back to it. Totally okay.

And hey - you can do this, you really can! :highfive: There is light at the end of the tunnel - promise.

Seriously, you all are awesome. I appreciate all the encouragement! :biglove:

(Currently in the "I got this!" phase of the day, obviously ;) )