Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Starting today. Molecular Biology and 2 Engineering classes (8 credits). Working 12 hrs nights, 60 hours a week. It will be tough.
Wish me luck.

Puissiez-vous trouver la force

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
May you find strength - In french of course

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've been accepted to Pitt and will start class there in the fall. However, not all of the prereqs I need to take will be offered on weekends/at night. I'm taking classes at a community college currently, and they offer all the prereqs I need on weekends/at night. Plus it's $100 a credit vs $750 a credit and I'm sorely tempted to just stay at my CC instead of adding 15k more in loans at Pitt ... Ugh. So many decisions to make.

I've done the research and am aware that schools accept CC credits and aren't super preferential on CC vs 4 years (at least for the schools I plan on applying to), and that as long as I ace my MCAT I should be ok... But UGH. I'm still anxious regarding my decision.

Sounds like sticking with CC is the way to go!

I can agree with the, the argument of your ability to apply in depth knowledge on a higher level can be diffused with you MCAT performance. Thats the main thing that they are concerned with is the stringency, and difficulty of 4 year universities as opposed to CC. This is a broad generalization of course.

Originally was trying to go for Class of 2021, but I think I have to delay my application another year. Glad to meet some other future Class of 2022 classmates!

Reactions: 2 users
Originally was trying to go for Class of 2021, but I think I have to delay my application another year. Glad to meet some other future Class of 2022 classmates!
Welcome aboard!

How's everyone's classes going?

I foresee an A in my 4 credit precalc class... All of my homework and tests are online and taken outside of class. Hello mathway.com :happy: I believe my calculus class will be in the same format. Nothing like 2 4 credit math courses to bump that MD sGPA up.

First micro class got canceled due to snowbeast. The way Penndot maintains their roads in the winter is absolutely criminal. (The turnpike near us was closed for over 24 hours with people stuck on it over the length of two days).

Wow that's harsh that adcoms pick on non trad's who work full time for not carrying a full load? What I wouldn't give to be some snot nosed kid with zero responsibilities other than cranking out GPA, lol. I guess its a good thing I'm taking a full load and working full time :)
I don't think it's always true that adcoms "pick on nontrads who work full time for not carrying a full load." Frankly, I disregarded a lot of Goro advice and had a great cycle. I was probably similar to @AnotherLawyer in that I had a solid undergrad GPA already, in a science major; I excelled in law school; and I juggled my one-course-at-a-time in conjunction with other really significant responsibilities at work and at home. It all depends on how you show that you are capable of handling a heavy workload--for some people that is a lot of credits at once; for others it might be something different.

I don't think it's always true that adcoms "pick on nontrads who work full time for not carrying a full load." Frankly, I disregarded a lot of Goro advice and had a great cycle. I was probably similar to @AnotherLawyer in that I had a solid undergrad GPA already, in a science major; I excelled in law school; and I juggled my one-course-at-a-time in conjunction with other really significant responsibilities at work and at home. It all depends on how you show that you are capable of handling a heavy workload--for some people that is a lot of credits at once; for others it might be something different.
I won't disregard anything @Goro says. Goro knows more about med school admission and how adcoms think than you will ever know, because he/she is an adcom, you're not.
I'm happy things worked out for you. I really am. But if you disregarded most of what Goro said, according to you, then I think you just got lucky. Don't mistake being lucky for being good. And I'm sure there are so many other factors that adcoms consider that me and you don't even know they exist. Goro won't tell you about these factors because there is nothing you can do about them. Goro tells you about the things that you control and will benefit you.
Sorry if I came across as being angry or mad at you. I'm not. Just what you said bothered me. What @Goro, @gyngyn, Q and many others did, are doing for all the premeds on sdn is very appreciated. They tell you the things that you need to hear, not the things that you want to hear. They answer my stupid questions and your stupid questions patiently.
I'll never take an adive of a naive premed like you and me over the advice of Goro, because that will be stupid. You and me, my fellow current or previous premed, don't know what the heck we are talking about when it comes to med school admission. @Goro does.
Please, please, don't take this as me attacking you. But what you said is just wrong.
I'm glad you made it. You might be the exception. Again, don't mistake getting lucky for being good.
I wish you all the best. Please, don't be mad at me. We just need to correct each other. That's what makes SDN a great place for us.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The feels are real tonight so I'm adding calculus to my summer 1 session schedule (that already has chemistry). Thank good calc is online.

MUST. HAVE. OVERWHELMING. SCHEDULE. TO. PROVE. MY. WORTH.

Reactions: 1 users
I planned out everything the other night during my forensic psyc class and I cried a little on the inside. Summer/fall of 2016 and spring/summer of 2017 will be rough. as of now goal is c/o2022.....I'm all of a sudden tired

Members don't see this ad :)
I planned out everything the other night during my forensic psyc class and I cried a little on the inside. Summer/fall of 2016 and spring/summer of 2017 will be rough. as of now goal is c/o2022.....I'm all of a sudden tired

Haven't taken ochem or physics yet and I'm loathe to take both ochem and physics in the same semester... Especially since I want to actually learn the material for the MCAT. Plus biochem all before June 2017. Brb... Crying.

Hey 2022ers... Any advice on if I should take either physics 2 or ochem 2 before the MCAT? I can't do both.

Hey 2022ers... Any advice on if I should take either physics 2 or ochem 2 before the MCAT? I can't do both.

I had to make the same decision and I am taking Physics 2. After looking over the Ochem 2 and Physics 2 topics, I decided it would be easier to self-teach Ochem 2 than Physics 2. Test takers also report that Physics 2 topics appear more often than Ochem 2 topics on the MCAT.

That's a tough call. Org Chem is about 10% of the new MCAT science sections, and Physics is around 12%.
It's easier for me to study physics on my own than OChem (engineering major).
I also think you need to know your OChem for the BioChem stuff. BioChem is about 25% of the science sections. It's MAJOR. I would take OChem. even better is to take both plus BioChem. I know you said you cannot, but you might come up with some kind of a plan.
Good luck.

That's a tough call. Org Chem is about 10% of the new MCAT science sections, and Physics is around 12%.
It's easier for me to study physics on my own than OChem (engineering major).
I also think you need to know your OChem for the BioChem stuff. BioChem is about 25% of the science sections. It's MAJOR. I would take OChem. even better is to take both plus BioChem. I know you said you cannot, but you might come up with some kind of a plan.
Good luck.

Biochem isn't offered where I am taking classes. Just bio-organic chem. Looking like it'll either be self taught or I'll find it at a nearby college (luckily I have access to about 7 in the pgh area).

TPM sad!

I won't disregard anything @Goro says. Goro knows more about med school admission and how adcoms think than you will ever know, because he/she is an adcom, you're not.
I'm happy things worked out for you. I really am. But if you disregarded most of what Goro said, according to you, then I think you just got lucky. Don't mistake being lucky for being good. And I'm sure there are so many other factors that adcoms consider that me and you don't even know they exist. Goro won't tell you about these factors because there is nothing you can do about them. Goro tells you about the things that you control and will benefit you.
Sorry if I came across as being angry or mad at you. I'm not. Just what you said bothered me. What @Goro, @gyngyn, Q and many others did, are doing for all the premeds on sdn is very appreciated. They tell you the things that you need to hear, not the things that you want to hear. They answer my stupid questions and your stupid questions patiently.
I'll never take an adive of a naive premed like you and me over the advice of Goro, because that will be stupid. You and me, my fellow current or previous premed, don't know what the heck we are talking about when it comes to med school admission. @Goro does.
Please, please, don't take this as me attacking you. But what you said is just wrong.
I'm glad you made it. You might be the exception. Again, don't mistake getting lucky for being good.
I wish you all the best. Please, don't be mad at me. We just need to correct each other. That's what makes SDN a great place for us.
Good luck.
You are not coming across as angry, and I apologize if what I said seemed disrespectful or ungrateful to Goro. I have great respect for Goro and appreciate all the effort he puts into advising all of us here. But the truth is I have found advice from other adcoms here to be more valuable for me. And I don't think it's just about being lucky. It is about what kind of student you are. Goro may be used to seeing certain kinds of students, as a DO school adcom, whereas someone like LizzyM, who I believe is an adcom at a top 20 allo school, probably sees a pretty different group--her advice has been far more applicable to my situation. I have no doubt that DOs are great doctors and that plenty of folks who attend osteopathic medical school are every bit as capable as those who attend allo schools. But it is very different to "prove" your ability to handle medical school curriculum if your undergraduate GPA is, say, a 3.4-3.5, and your MCAT 29-30ish, versus if you have a LizzyM above 75 with an undergraduate science major from a world-renowned research university. The reality is that Goro is not likely to see many applicants in the latter category, and so if a student is in the former category, looking to the ability to handle a full courseload is a reasonable way to assess whether the student can handle medical school. But if you've excelled when you HAVE been in school full time, and excelled at school while holding down serious non school responsibilities (work, family, etc.), and excelled at another rigorous sort of professional or graduate school, it would be RIDICULOUS to fault someone for not taking a full courseload, and I doubt that the adcoms at the MD schools where I got II were doing so. I don't think I just "got lucky"--I had solid academic credentials to present regardless of not having taken a full courseload recently. Sure, maybe some folks took it into account and I didn't get an II I could have gotten otherwise. But I got plenty of II (including 2 at top tier schools) to accomplish my goal, and my rate of return was far better than what you would predict based on Goro's advice.

Oh man. Someone just put down Goro a bit.

I like to sit back and watch the world burn. So I'm going enjoy creeping on this post.

Lol. Ok. Let's move on. Next topic.

Hello all,
I would like to join you guys, as I am also a non trad student hoping to get a spot for C/O 2022. Reading these posts give me the extra push every time i start to feel that 2017 is so far away.

I've seen people share their story here so why the heck not? I originally came to the US when I was 17, spent 3 years in HS over here and went straight to CC. Started taking classes at my local community college when I was 20, however I did not really care that much about my grades so I received C's in both gen chem, in bio 2, and in ochem 1. I was also misinformed that when you transfer to a 4 year university, you will have a fresh 4.0 GPA, so I was like F*** YEAH, I don't have to worry about my grades in community college cause medical schools won't see those. Yeah, not very smart decision, I know. 2013 comes by and I transferred to my university, and I learned the hard and harsh reality that adcoms at medical schools look at your overall GPA not just what you did at a university. That's when I had to gather myself from the ground because I was so devastated, but since fall of 2013 I have had five consecutive 4.0 semesters where I took upper division classes and sciences.

This semester I am taking both ochem 2 and physics 2 at my university, I retook ochem 1 last semester and got an A, I also retook my first physics in summer of 2015 and got A as well. During summer of 2016 I will retake both general chemistry classes at a community college and hope to ace them. Then during Fall of 2016 I will take biochem and physics 2 lab along with ochem 2 lab. The reason I am not taking full time credits is strictly financial, I simply can't afford to pay the full time tuition at my university so splitting the remaining credits into 6 and 5 would be cheaper for me. Especially since I had to quit my full time job in May of 2015 because my company was not accommodating my school schedule and wouldn't give me any time off. The thing that worries me is that adcoms will not look favorably upon me when they see I only took 6 credits this semester and 5 during next fall, and I am not currently a full time employee. I am basically living off of my savings account and the help of my immediate family.

I plan to take the MCAT in April of 2017 and I will start officially studying in December of 2016. I think I will register for a Kaplan in person course, along with buying EK and TPR books. English is not my first language so I need some real miracles to get my CARS score high enough.

For EC's:
I have 1.5 years of hospital ER volunteering
20 hours of shadowing (10 MD, 10 DO)
5 months of non clinical at an organization that helps the underserved community (roughly 30 hours)
I will start volunteering at an organization that does charity work for my local community
Around 1700 hours of paid medical interpretation job
2 LOR's (1 from science, 1 from non science)

Hopefully I will see some of you guys during our interviews :)

I plan to take the MCAT in April of 2017 and I will start officially studying in December of 2016. I think I will register for a Kaplan in person course, along with buying EK and TPR books. English is not my first language so I need some real miracles to get my CARS score high enough.
Welcome aboard. Glad that you joined us. I'll be taking the April 2017 MCAT too. English is also my second language. And like you I fear the CARS section. I heard that reading philosophy books, the Economist, and the New York Times can help improve your comprehension. And doing a ton of passages. So, I'll try that.
Don't worry. 2017 will be here before you know it, and then you might wish you had more time to prepare ; )

When is everyone planning on starting to study for the MCAT?

Whenever my summer class ends (probably late August or early September) I'll start formally studying for the January 2017 MCAT. I'm not taking any courses fall 2016, so hopefully I'll have enough free time.
I'll be start my regiment in August.

I can't devote 10 hours a day to studying like some of the traditional pre meds on here. Taking ochem as physics in the fall 16 and ochem 2 and physics 2 in the spring 17. Was thinking of starting this July to start studying. Psych and CARS will probably be my strongest as I minored in psych and my reading comprehension and pace is very high (I've always scored in the 95th percentile or higher on standardized tests in subjects like CARS).
Take mid April and June to really study and dive in deep on MCAT study, no summer classes so I can take it in the summer. Might be a bit late on my application submission, but I would rather take the MCAT more fully prepared and late than underprepared and early.

I've begun pondering in regards to the Hook for my personal statement ......
So far its ;
Please let me in “I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.”

I've begun pondering in regards to the Hook for my personal statement ......
So far its ;
Please let me in “I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.”

HAH. Thats one way to start it.

In all seriousness, I'm concerned mine might seem a bit too dramatic. "I was twenty three the first time I saw someone die. The second time was about a week later."

HAH. Thats one way to start it.

In all seriousness, I'm concerned mine might seem a bit too dramatic. "I was twenty three the first time I saw someone die. The second time was about a week later."

Diverting back to the marginally more serious side of my young adult self. In all actuality I'm just reviewing some cellular and molecular bio.

Let your PS reflect who you are, but more so who you wish to be. Let them know youre not a drone. Show them youve got charisma and commitment.

On the topic of personal statements and work, I'm at least slightly concerned because I've been self employed for the last 17 years, most of which have been "average" (~$60k a year). I've sort of had no real choice however because I've been taking care of two kids (for a while as a single parent) that had epilepsy and Aspergers. The last few years however have been a pretty drastic change (for the better, at least financially). However, since I'm self employed and I don't really have anyone who is over me (my wife is actually listed as the CEO in the articles of incorporation) I'm not sure how to demonstrate my business success to prospective schools short of showing them my tax returns, retirement accounts, etc? Ironically I find myself wishing I had a boss to vouch for my skill set, lol.

Diverting back to the marginally more serious side of my young adult self. In all actuality I'm just reviewing some cellular and molecular bio.

Let your PS reflect who you are, but more so who you wish to be. Let them know youre not a drone. Show them youve got charisma and commitment.

Oh yeah. I agree. My work in hospice is what has really made me realize medicine is what I want to pursue more than anything else. I just don't want to seem too over the top. Just figured it would catch some eyes

On the topic of personal statements and work, I'm at least slightly concerned because I've been self employed for the last 17 years, most of which have been "average" (~$60k a year). I've sort of had no real choice however because I've been taking care of two kids (for a while as a single parent) that had epilepsy and Aspergers. The last few years however have been a pretty drastic change (for the better, at least financially). However, since I'm self employed and I don't really have anyone who is over me (my wife is actually listed as the CEO in the articles of incorporation) I'm not sure how to demonstrate my business success to prospective schools short of showing them my tax returns, retirement accounts, etc? Ironically I find myself wishing I had a boss to vouch for my skill set, lol.

That's is a tough one. Not sure what your business is about, but have you worked in tandem with other businesses? Say maybe a supervisor from there who can speak to the work you can provide. Or ask a customer who seems really happy with your work to provide a testimonial for what you've done.

Healthcare is a business, when it comes down to it. We like to all think it's about healing and helping people, but it's not. Running a business in my limited opinion would be a great way to show how you would be a great asset to a medical school because you know how a business runs on the operations side. Not everyone can grasp that concept easily. I would say if all else fails, to write down examples of when you've come across an obstacle in your career and how you've overcome it and how it can relate to medicine. I feel like adcoms can sniff out when someone is lying or blowing a bunch of BS around. They probably see it daily.

Look at it this way.. You have had a job for the last 17 years and know about life outside of school etc. The admissions people get kids all day everyday who have no experience in life. Sure they have volunteer hours and community service but that's about it. And yes, I'm sure that some do fine with everything but there is a much larger group who struggle at developing communication skills and going from the class room to a clinical setting. Healthcare is a business and so any experience in the work place will only help. I don't care if your flipping burgers, job experience is job experience in getting some views and interactions with the public. I am not trying to diminish the accomplishments from those who go high school-college- med school, but in my view job experience is a huge positive. All you can do is be honest in your statement and convey what you know to be your strengths. Besides the admissions folks have heard it all before. No worries

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, I have in the past and currently work with other corporations. From 1999 to 2010 I primarily did hardware work. I built, repaired and maintained PC's for individuals, companies, and some public entities (police departments, schools, etc.) I supplemented my income during that time as a freelance sound engineer and owned a local recording studio (and ended up with credits on a major label album and got to tour the country!). In 2010 I began learning code and started creating some programs for third party applications in the video game industry. I continued the shift away from hardware and focused on software applications, primarily automation products. We've since branched out to include digital asset management, customer service applications, and data analytics as well. Additionally, in 2015 we began doing crypto currency conversion for a couple of our largest customers, so I'm currently handling 50k+ per month in BTC. I'm sure that either of my two largest clients would provide whatever reference I wanted them to provide. Both are multimillionaires with long term successful companies, I'm just lost on how I would even have them write something or if its even appropriate or necessary? I've got a couple years until I cross that bridge though :D

Last edited:
hey everyone,
I am also working towards applying for the class of 2022. I have Orgo and physics left to complete. How is everyone getting their research experience? Any advice on how to go about doing it?

hey everyone,
I am also working towards applying for the class of 2022. I have Orgo and physics left to complete. How is everyone getting their research experience? Any advice on how to go about doing it?

I took five research courses in college. Has to take two for my major and two for my minor, and the other was my senior capstone project. I'm not doing any other additional research than that, it's not a big priority for me.

I have zero research and it is not high on my list. I guess i could try and get some sometime but I don't really see the need personally. I know its looks good on an application but time is already short. Research is really boring too. I don't want part of anything related to research. I know that medicine is always about discovery but good gravy collecting and analyzing data is torture for me.

I also have zero interest in research but as bad as this sounds, I want to do research to improve my ECs. I am already doing lots of stuff that will help my ECs and I enjoy doing them because it helps other people in my community, but I feel that research will also be a good thing to add to my application. My professor just offered me to work with him in a biophysics lab. I am really thinking about joining him, even though I dislike physics. :confused:

I need to do research, now and in med school. Research can only help you and it opens doors for you.

I didn't see this thread until last night, so I guess i'll throw my hat in having been here for a couple years mostly on the sidelines.

I'll be 27 when I apply in '17, 28 if I matriculate in '18. I finished undergrad in 2012 with the intent to go towards clin psych PhD. I had a fair amount of research experience by the time I got as far as interviewing for one program when all the wind in my sails gave out and I had serious doubt about wanting to get a PhD. I did a lot of reading on this forum having utilized it as a resource for grad school applications, and began reading about the med school application process. I eventually concluded, through a lot of reading and soul searching, that I'd rather be on the Psychiatry side of mental health, rather than the Psychology side. I had virtually no sciences done, however. The University I was closest to was notoriously a gunner pre-med state school, with an average curving at 2.6. I didn't know, at the time, that CC was an option, so i chose this state school.

In winter of '14 I started from scratch with intro to physics while working as a research assistant and got a 3.8. Encouraged by my small victory, I went after the second quarter of physics and first quarter of gen chem, but I also happened to start a big job at the hospital at that very same time. The job was intense - without giving too many details that would further pinpoint who I am, i can say without a doubt it gave me huge clinical exposure and was more than worth the stress it caused... but it definitely occupied my attention.

My grades took a dive immediately. I hit a 3.2 in Physics 2, and I think a 3.0 in Gen Chem 1. I was way past the point of learning that grades like these were unacceptable for MD schools so I determined myself to do better in summer. Summer was when I got into the full swing of my job but classes did not get any easier. I worked every weekend, 24-32 hours from Fri-Sun, so that I could attend every lecture during the week. Not having weekends to study or recuperate was brutal. My grades continued to suffer. I took a scathing 2.8 in Bio 1, and a 3.0 in Gen Chem 2. Now I was more stressed but I kept pushing with the job because the experience was too valuable.

Fall was worse. I tried scaling back my workload and only took Gen Chem 3 while working. My workplace was moving from one unit to another unit and things got very busy. Not uncommonly, I worked 16 hour shifts and would have to double back 8 hours later for another shift, continuing working every weekend. 2.8 in Gen Chem 3. I was pretty discouraged at this point, trying to calculate what my sGPA should be, might be, could be. I thought I would give it one more quarter and then reconsider my job: winter ended up being better - 3.7 in Physics 3, but I concluded the risk to my GPA was too great while I had the job. I talked to leadership on the unit about my situation and they understood. I gave them several months notice out of an abundance of wanting to maintain a good relationship. I ended up botching my application for classes in spring due mostly to indecision of switching or staying at the same school, and ended up with no classes.

Summer I returned strong with a 3.8 in Bio 2, and a 3.2 in Ochem 1. I continued a strong trend with a 3.6 in Ochem 2, and a 3.9 in my Ochem lab. Currently in my last quarter of sciences with Bio 3, Ochem 3, and Ochem lab 2. So far i'm doing great overall. My sGPA as of the end of fall was 3.30. I'm very near to the border of MD to DO and would prefer the former.

My plan going forward is to volunteer, shadow, and take Biochem online next quarter just so i know the material: study for the MCAT from Summer through Fall, take it in Winter. That gives me some breathing room if I need to retake it before applying in June of 2017.

It's been a long road and its not over. I'm worried my track record will look like I can't handle a busy workload, but hopefully a more concise explanation than I've given will net me at least 1 MD interview?

Here's hoping!

Welcome aboard.

I have question and hopefully someone can shine some light on it...I still need some classes for my pre-reqs, the university i am at now doesn't have a formal post-bac program so I am doing my own. I will be a non-degree seeking student which means I am not eligible for financial aid etc.. My issue is that I need a way to pay for it. I work part time and go to school full time right now finishing up my undergrad. I have some savings but am going through that quick. Thoughts? Banks that are easy to rob etc....

I have question and hopefully someone can shine some light on it...I still need some classes for my pre-reqs, the university i am at now doesn't have a formal post-bac program so I am doing my own. I will be a non-degree seeking student which means I am not eligible for financial aid etc.. My issue is that I need a way to pay for it. I work part time and go to school full time right now finishing up my undergrad. I have some savings but am going through that quick. Thoughts? Banks that are easy to rob etc....
How are you paying for school right now? You can go to school part-time and work full-time. You need money to live. Don't take private loans or live on credit cards.

I had the same problem. Got into a nice university, could do an informal post bacc there- but the cost is $735 a CREDIT and all the classes I have to take have labs! Finally decided that it wasn't worth the financial loss and am attending the local CC that has al the classes I need, has them at night and on Saturdays, AND is $115 a credit.

How are you paying for school right now? You can go to school part-time and work full-time. You need money to live. Don't take private loans or live on credit cards.

I have paid for school through grants and some of my savings. I'm 10 years out of high school and worked so I was able to save some money up. I don't want loans or CC debit.

I had the same problem. Got into a nice university, could do an informal post bacc there- but the cost is $735 a CREDIT and all the classes I have to take have labs! Finally decided that it wasn't worth the financial loss and am attending the local CC that has al the classes I need, has them at night and on Saturdays, AND is $115 a credit.

Classes are expensive and labs add on a lot. I have thought about CC but really really do not like my local CC although it may be my only option.

I'm going to the CC since I'm tired of paying >$1,500 for a course that's < $500 at the CC. I work way too hard for my money.