Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yet another nontrad problem. I have no idea how to tweet. I guess I understand the concept, but I don't have a Twitter account and have never tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
:) Call or email works just as well!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
92% on my third exam! Finally broke the 87% streak! YAAAASSSS

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys!

Not sure if this is the right thread for me, but I think I might be in the class of 22! I graduated in Aug of 15 with a BA in psych and have since decided to go med school. I'm taking the pre-reqs myself since there is no post bacc program near me. I'm taking Gen Bio 1 & 2 with labs summer of 2016, Gen Chem 1 and Physics 1 with labs fall of 2016, Gen Chem 2 and Physics 2 with labs spring of 17, and O Chem 1 & 2 with labs summer of 17. Do you guys think there's any way I can take the MCAT in 2017 or will it be better to wait until 18? I also work full time so I'm worried I would be cramming too much stuff in all at once. But at the same time, that would give me about 2 years between finishing my pre-reqs and starting med school.

Advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
@kroland3
You'd want to apply only once as early as possible with the best app. Medical schools aren't going anywhere so there is no need to rush this process. Based on your prerequisite schedule and studying for the Mcat, it would be in your best interest to apply early spring of 2018.

Reactions: 1 users
Finished the winter quarter with two As and one A- (a difficult recovery from a midterm of 76%)! ~~happy dance~~

Reactions: 6 users
There aren't many emotions that will trump the mass serotonin influx that accompanies another A being printed on my transcript.

Well Done !!!

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone planning to take UNE biochem over the summer? It will be my last class before taking the Jan 2017 MCAT. I was curious if anyone else would be taking it at the same time.

image.jpeg
Reasons I'm glad a non traditional working to get into med school: instead of blackout drunk parties on the beach in Florida for spring break, I go to China, Indonesia, and Chicago for a week

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 31
Speak for yourself, my friend. I live, work, and study on the beach, so my blackout drunk beach parties aren't even restricted to Spring Break!

J/k, that sounds amazing. I haven't so much as taken a weekend in Cancun since I had kids.

my breaks are going to my parents who live 5...miles....away...............free food!.......... I have no life

Also posted this in the other 2022 thread:

hello! Excited to see this and join the group. I am starting a one year post bacc this summer after a career in human service/policy (child welfare and DV work). I'm excited to go on this journey; however, I am terribly nervous. No science background so next year should be interesting. Not looking forward to being an "older" student and having to figure out when to have kids during med school (I can't wait until attendinghood, clock is ticking...)

Anyway, I think it will be worth it! I hope to go hard for a year, MCATs June of 2017 and then relax during glide year. I have started with Psych/Soc section, simply because I don't think I'll have much time to prep for it with all the science classes I'll be taking in such a short time. I'm doing Khan videos and Princeton review. Hope to have a good set of notes and flash cards done by Aug. probably won't review them until closer to MCAT date.

Also posted this in the other 2022 thread:

hello! Excited to see this and join the group. I am starting a one year post bacc this summer after a career in human service/policy (child welfare and DV work). I'm excited to go on this journey; however, I am terribly nervous. No science background so next year should be interesting. Not looking forward to being an "older" student and having to figure out when to have kids during med school (I can't wait until attendinghood, clock is ticking...)

Anyway, I think it will be worth it! I hope to go hard for a year, MCATs June of 2017 and then relax during glide year. I have started with Psych/Soc section, simply because I don't think I'll have much time to prep for it with all the science classes I'll be taking in such a short time. I'm doing Khan videos and Princeton review. Hope to have a good set of notes and flash cards done by Aug. probably won't review them until closer to MCAT date.

Hello! Welcome. I, too, am trying to figure out when to have kids. During med school is seeming more and more likely but it still scares me a great deal.

Quick update from me: I have two weeks left in the semester, and I've done well enough on my first few exams that I can tank my finals and keep my A's. For the first time this semester I'm taking it a bit easy. I'm interviewing for a research lab position this week, and I'm super nervous. I could use all of the positive vibes I can get!

Members don't see this ad :)
Positive vibes your way, @willow84!

I got rejected from ScribeAmerica. Does anybody here scribe that might be willing to help me evaluate my application and see what I could have done differently? My guess is that I appeared "overqualified," since every job on my resume has been as an attorney. There wasn't anywhere on the application to explain that I'm changing careers, and, honestly, if they'd rather have college-aged scribes, they might not even care.

Positive vibes your way, @willow84!

I got rejected from ScribeAmerica. Does anybody here scribe that might be willing to help me evaluate my application and see what I could have done differently? My guess is that I appeared "overqualified," since every job on my resume has been as an attorney. There wasn't anywhere on the application to explain that I'm changing careers, and, honestly, if they'd rather have college-aged scribes, they might not even care.

Hey ADSigMel shoot your app my way via private message. I'm a chief scribe, so I might be able to help.

Thanks! I've gotta run to court, but I'll send it along when I get back to the office.

Fellow Class of 2022ers,

Is anyone planning to make a AMCAS/TMDSAS/ACCOMAS account this year to familiarize yourself with the app in preparation for the real thing next year? I think I'm going to do it.

Hello! Welcome. I, too, am trying to figure out when to have kids. During med school is seeming more and more likely but it still scares me a great deal.

Quick update from me: I have two weeks left in the semester, and I've done well enough on my first few exams that I can tank my finals and keep my A's. For the first time this semester I'm taking it a bit easy. I'm interviewing for a research lab position this week, and I'm super nervous. I could use all of the positive vibes I can get!

Hey yea, I think what everyone says is there is no "right time" except during 3rd year rotations and intern year. I'm thinking of trying to get pregnant after MCATs, so I'm pregnant during glide year and baby before med school (some maternity leave built in). Only issue with this plan is that I will be pregnant during interviews- not super pregnant so maybe I can hide it. I'm too nervous to wait until attendinghood....

I got the research position! So excited to start in the lab this summer :banana:

Reactions: 4 users
I did that last year thinking that all of my data would carry over, NOPE. If you don't submit everything gets erased :(

Fellow Class of 2022ers,

Is anyone planning to make a AMCAS/TMDSAS/ACCOMAS account this year to familiarize yourself with the app in preparation for the real thing next year? I think I'm going to do it.

Hey everyone. After a few weeks of lurking, I finally joined SDN. I'm a Class of 2022 hopeful. I graduated in 2013 with a BS and an MS in Biomedical Engineering (dual degree program). I'll be headed back to school to finish my prereqs. My college GPA wasn't the greatest, so I'll be using these 16 credits to pad it. I'm taking Microbiology/lab this summer, Gen Bio 2/lab and Orgo/lab in the fall and Bioorganic Chem/lab in the spring. The plan is to take the MCAT in April and apply. I'm volunteering at a hospital starting this month and I'm looking for a doctor to shadow. Nice to meet you all!

i have to say that this thread makes me so happy. It seems so far off but really its not. in 2022, we will be doctors (Lord willing!!)

It seems so far off but really its not. in 2022, we will be doctors (Lord willing!!)

And then we just have to get through a hundred years of residency! You're right, it does seem terribly far away. It doesn't help that I want to be a surgeon, but I'll probably end up in primary care instead, since I'll already be 38 years old by the time I graduate from med school (assuming I get into the C/O 2022, which isn't exactly guaranteed).

I am interested in surgery too, and I'll be 37 when I graduate (also assuming c/o 2022). I'll have to see how I do during my third year rotation in surgery to determine if it's truly possible at that age for me.

Have any of you taken orgo or physics yet? I start them on Monday, and for some reason I'm so incredibly nervous. I've done really well in my post-bacc so far, and I'm completely paranoid of getting to this point and suddenly getting all B's. Gen Chem was a breeze for me, but I've heard that orgo is so different. And I've had zero exposure to physics before, unless you count a few rate of change problems in calculus.... and calculus required A LOT of work for me.

I am interested in surgery too, and I'll be 37 when I graduate (also assuming c/o 2022). I'll have to see how I do during my third year rotation in surgery to determine if it's truly possible at that age for me.

Have any of you taken orgo or physics yet? I start them on Monday, and for some reason I'm so incredibly nervous. I've done really well in my post-bacc so far, and I'm completely paranoid of getting to this point and suddenly getting all B's. Gen Chem was a breeze for me, but I've heard that orgo is so different. And I've had zero exposure to physics before, unless you count a few rate of change problems in calculus.... and calculus required A LOT of work for me.

For organic chemistry, I bought Organic Chemistry as a Second Language by Klein. When I realized my assigned text book was bad, I went ahead and bought the Klein text book and study guide. I bought the first edition, which was dirt cheap. I found the Klein resources were outstanding. You of course have to do the work. I didn't use any special resources for Physics. Get the answer guide for your text book and just do lots of problems. Also brush up on your algebra if necessary. I think physics (at least at the intro level) is mostly about the math.

And then we just have to get through a hundred years of residency! You're right, it does seem terribly far away. It doesn't help that I want to be a surgeon, but I'll probably end up in primary care instead, since I'll already be 38 years old by the time I graduate from med school (assuming I get into the C/O 2022, which isn't exactly guaranteed).

It is possible that LESS than a year from now we'll have already submitted our medical school applications. When I think about it that way, it doesn't seem far off at all.

Hi there 2022 hopefuls! It's been quite awhile since I've posted on SDN, but have been trolling lately and really like this thread. I'm obviously a non-trad with a detailed story like many of you. However, I'll save space (and my fingers) by directing anyone interested in my back story to search for the thread "Austin Fire Fighter - Seeking MD."

A lot has changed since that time and I'm realizing true progress towards med school. My wife graduated med school a couple of years ago and matched into ortho at WVU (Morgantown, WV)! While matching into ortho was a dream come true for her (and myself), we had really hoped/believed that we would have matched into a Texas program. That said, my plan to continue my career with AFD while finishing prereqs was put in a huge predicament.

Long story short, I put my 'big boy' pants on and took a leap of faith... I took early retirement from the fire department, moved with my family to West Virginia, and have officially been a full-time college student for the past 2 years. My wife is at the end of her pgy2 year and really looking forward to 3rd year. On a side note, we've been really impressed with both the med school and residency programs at WVU.

As of now, I'm on perfect pace to take the MCAT next April. I've finished 3 bio courses, calc, and both gen chems. I'm starting ochem in a week (summer course) and will take biochem in summer II. My fall will be ochem II, stat, physics I, and two other degree related courses. I've made a 'name' for myself in the bio and chem departments here. I am a TA for professors in both and have several options for letters of recommendation from them. As of now, my cGPA is a 3.4-ish (it's been an uphill battle, secondary to one bad year of grades in '98!!!) and my sGPA is a 4.0. Since starting school again, I have a 4.0, so I'm hoping that my grade trend from 1998 compared to the past couple of years will catch the eye of an ADCOM.

Also, I was accepted into a 'pre-med' summer program here at WVU that focuses on MCAT, application, and interview prep. It's a 6 week Kaplan-based MCAT course and 2 week hands for on interview, personal statement, etc. My real MCAT studying will begin in October of this year, so wish me well! The only thing I'm worried about, regarding the MCAT, is that I will be taking physics II the same semester as my MCAT. If anyone has any suggestions for overcoming this, feel free to let me know!

Sorry for the long post, but I get excited talking to like-minded med school hopefuls! Good luck with everything and I'm looking forward to getting to 'know' you guys/gals!

Reactions: 3 users

I'm starting Orgo I in a few weeks. I got my physics credit from a dual enrollment program in high school (along with Gen Chem and all my math classes), so I don't plan to re-take any of that stuff. But I've been refreshing my recollection via Khan Academy, and it's all coming back to me. I don't know that I feel "ready" for a weed-out class like Orgo, but I feel like I am as prepared as I'm going to get in the next three weeks, so.... I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting back into the student mindset. I haven't been a student since I finished law school in 2007, and I haven't taken a math or science class since more like 1999. Here's hoping those neuro pathways aren't atrophied beyond repair!

Just finished the semester in my SMP today with a 3.3 overall GPA. Sucks!

Just finished the semester in my SMP today with a 3.3 overall GPA. Sucks!
Sorry to hear that metoo :( Do you still have more classes to take for the SMP?

I will be doing this in the fall. Fingers crossed. Let me know how it goes for you!

I've been MIA for a bit! Hey y'all!

Last week of classes for me. I had a micro lab final this past Saturday, a pre calc final Wednesday, and my lecture final this upcoming Saturday and I'll finally have a two week respite from classes. Should be finishing with a 95 in precalc. Not entirely sure what micro will be. My professor is AWFUL there. Just terrible. It's so frustrating. It's also my first upper level bio course since 2010 and the last course I took I had a W in... So I guess a high B or low A isn't that bad. Just wanted it to be better.

Still working full time, still playing basketball/softball/football every week, added hiking and kayaking to my schedule as well as a dog to stay sane.

All of my peers think I'm crazy with everything I have on my plate... I enjoy the challenge

I was finally able to secure a shadowing gig with an EM physician, and let me tell you that going through the process with HR and staff is tougher than getting a doctor to say yes. I have had two previous doctors who agreed to let me shadow them but the hospital did not let me do so, it was so dang frustrating.

Why did the hospital say no? (I just got the thumbs up today that my back ground check and drug test came back and I'm cleared at a hospital)

Sorry to hear that metoo :( Do you still have more classes to take for the SMP?
So good news, I actually got a 3.4 for the semester. I have 2 semesters left. It would be only 1 semester but I'm going to take time off to study for the MCAT, I want to be 100% focused on that test.

How are things going for you?

So good news, I actually got a 3.4 for the semester. I have 2 semesters left. It would be only 1 semester but I'm going to take time off to study for the MCAT, I want to be 100% focused on that test.

How are things going for you?
Glad to hear it! I'm in the middle of figuring out how to move all my junk halfway across the country to start my SMP. uhaul is crazy expensive.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Why did the hospital say no? (I just got the thumbs up today that my back ground check and drug test came back and I'm cleared at a hospital)

Some hospitals do not accept any undergrad students at all. This hospital specifically told me that if I am not a medical student rotating, then I have no business shadowing or spending anytime with their doctors. It was fine by me, I just wanted to shadow that doctor because he was such a cool person to talk to but oh well.

Some hospitals do not accept any undergrad students at all. This hospital specifically told me that if I am not a medical student rotating, then I have no business shadowing or spending anytime with their doctors. It was fine by me, I just wanted to shadow that doctor because he was such a cool person to talk to but oh well.
I was trying to shadow one of my doctors (she gave me permission to do so) at Kaiser. Kaiser told me I had to be a medical student as well.

Glad to hear it! I'm in the middle of figuring out how to move all my junk halfway across the country to start my SMP. uhaul is crazy expensive.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Good luck. SMPs along with moving and other expenses are just money money money.

Yet another lawyer planning to make the switch. Also working full time and organising pre-requisites. I'm planning entry between 2017-2020. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

So many lawyers here... Maybe I'll apply in 2018 instead :arghh:

Ugh. B in my micro class. So frustrating. It's really hard to study for an exam when A) you don't get your previous exams B) there are no office hours C) it takes your adjunct micro professor 3 days to respond to an email D) the exams are the same every semester and E) the questions on the exam are often over topics that weren't even covered in class or on the syllabus. Gahhhhh. I did get an A in my math class at least.

This is my first biology class in 6 years. In 2009 I withdrew from my upper level bio course because I failed the first two exams. Someone tell me I'll be ok. #stressed :(

I know I should have spent more time extensively studying the coursework. First college course in 3 years, all while balancing full time coursework, full time job, 3 sports leagues and planning a wedding. Definitely didn't make it easy on myself. Next up is chemistry 1&2 this summer.

Ain't no thang

Can you be enrolled in a class when you apply to schools?

@TallPreMed Be proud of yourself for getting a B, in spite of everything conspiring against you. Sounds to me like you're doing your best to actually live life while pursuing this premed path, which is the only way to really do this if you ask me. Now go kick chem1/2 in the teeth this summer and get A's!

today is the day......Starting my MCAT prep
Sigh ***

Reactions: 4 users