Class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preopt2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
With OPTOMCAS being open and applications and interviews being held, can this the post we have to post stats? Thanks!!
GOOD LUC TO EVERYONE APPLYING THIS CYCLE :)

Date OptomCAS submitted:
Date verified:
OAT Scores:
Major:
GPA:
Extracurricular Activities:
Schools applied:
Interviews extended/date:
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Members don't see this ad.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/11/2019
Date verified: 7/12/2019
OAT Scores: GRE: 146 QR 149 Verbal
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.58 overall and 3.4 science and 3.5 pre req
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing, volunteering, and work experience
Schools applied: MCPHS and NECO
Interviews extended/date: N/A
Interviews accepted: N/A
Interviews declined: N/A
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: N/A

Do you guys think I have a good shot at MCPHS with my high GPA and applying early despite my low GRE score? I am applying through a partnership agreement with guaranteed admission based on GPA but im worried about my GRE scores. Also do you know if MCPHS sends interview offers through mail or e mail? and when is the earliest time they usually interview?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/11/2019
Date verified: 7/12/2019
OAT Scores: GRE: 146 QR 149 Verbal
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.58 overall and 3.4 science and 3.5 pre req
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing, volunteering, and work experience
Schools applied: MCPHS and NECO
Interviews extended/date: N/A
Interviews accepted: N/A
Interviews declined: N/A
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: N/A

Do you guys think I have a good shot at MCPHS with my high GPA and applying early despite my low GRE score? I am applying through a partnership agreement with guaranteed admission based on GPA but im worried about my GRE scores. Also do you know if MCPHS sends interview offers through mail or e mail? and when is the earliest time they usually interview?
OK, I wish I can answer your questions, but I know nothing about MCPHS. However, you can apply with a GRE score instead of OAT scores???

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I wish I can answer your questions, but I know nothing about MCPHS. However, you can apply with a GRE score instead of OAT scores???

Most schools accept the GRE this cycle including NECO. check optomCAS or schools websites. It is a new change many schools are implementing.

Last edited:
Most schools accept the GRE this cycle including NECO. check optomCAS or schools websites. It is a new change many schools are implementing.
:O

The amount of money saved! Wouldn't matter to me since I already applied and got accepted, but wow!

Oh wow, didnt know they accept the GRE now!

Reactions: 1 user
Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/18/2019
Date verified: 7/22/2019
OAT Scores: 320 AA/300 TS
Major: Cellular and Molecular Biology
GPA: 3.65 overall; 3.55 science
Extracurricular Activities: 120+ shadowing hours, President/Founder of my universities POPS, A.E.D. officer, lots of volunteering, molecular biology research, & Chemistry lab TA.
Schools applied: UHCO, UAB, SCO, UIWRSO, & NSU
Interviews extended/date: SCO 7/23, UAB 8/6, UIWRSO 8/7, UHCO 9/6
Interviews accepted: SCO 9/9, UAB 9/20, UIWRSO 9/13, NOVA 9/27, UHCO 9/23
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCO 9/12, UIWRSO 9/18, UAB 9/23, UHCO 9/26

I will be apart of UHCO Class of 2024!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Date Optomcas Submitted: July 8, 2019
Date Verified: July 16, 2019
OAT Scores: 360 AA, 380 TS
Major: Physical Chemistry
Minor: Software Development
GPA: 3.91
sGPA: 3.99
Extracurricular activities: Long walks on the beach with my dog, 3 years of Ophthalmic scrubbing, Visit Optometrist once a year
Schools applied: PUCO, SCO, OSU, NECO, Houston, KYCO
Interviews: PUCO - October 4th

Still waiting on the other stuff. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/22/2019
Date verified: 7/25/2019
OAT Scores: 370 AA, 370TS
Major: Chemistry
GPA: 4.0
sGPA: 4.0
Extracurricular Activities: 3 years technician at private practice, 500+ hours shadowing, Guatemala mission trip, pre-med society president, hospital volunteer 1.5 yrs, lab assistant for general chemistry, fraternity member, greek honor society, and other volunteering.
Schools applied: IUSO, OSU, ICO
Interviews extended/date: OSU 7/23/19, IUSO 7/25/19
Interviews accepted: OSU 8/9/19, IUSO 9/6/19
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: OSU 8/12/19, IUSO 9/9/19

So excited to be done with the application and OAT, now we wait!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Date verified:
Extracurricular Activities: 3 years technician at private practice, 500+ hours shadowing, Guatemala mission trip, pre-med society president, hospital volunteer 1.5 yrs, lab assistant for general chemistry, fraternity member, greek honor society, and other volunteering.
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Amazing stats, when you get acceptances make sure to ask about scholarships, with your stats you should be able to get at least $40k from each school you applied to if not more.

Date verified:
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

wow

13/23 listed schools include GRE under "other accepted tests".

Given that we can submit other exams instead, do you know what scores for GRE and MCAT would be considered competitive ? I’ve already given my MCAT and was about to pay for my OAT , but if I can write the GRE instead or use my MCAT , that would be great, but again , depends on what scores would be considered competitive. Any insight would be appreciated!

Wow amazing stats!! Out of all that you applied, which is your number one?

Probably IUSO right now. I’m from Indiana, so in-State tuition would be nice especially if I can get a decent scholarship. I’m also considering OSU because it is a great school! ICO has not reached out to me yet.

Given that we can submit other exams instead, do you know what scores for GRE and MCAT would be considered competitive ? I’ve already given my MCAT and was about to pay for my OAT , but if I can write the GRE instead or use my MCAT , that would be great, but again , depends on what scores would be considered competitive. Any insight would be appreciated!

I'm not familiar enough with either of those tests, but I would assume that anything in the 80th percentile or better would be adequately competitive. I hope someone else has better insight.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/15/19
Date verified:
OAT Scores: 390 AA; 400 TS
Major: Microbiology
GPA: 3.95
Extracurricular Activities: Optometric tech at private practice x 1.5 years, Exec board for Optometry Club, Non-profit work organizing mobile health clinics, STEM TA 2+ years, Research Assistant, Volunteer at Ophthalmology clinic, 50 hours of shadowing
Schools applied: OSU, NOVA, SCO
Interviews accepted: 08/09 (SCO) , 08/16 (NOVA) , 08/23 (OSU)
Interviews declined: None
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: 08/14 (SCO)

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/23/2019
Date verified: 07/24/2019
OAT Scores: aa- 360; ts- 340
Major: biology (w/ religion minor)
GPA: cumulative- 3.58; overall science- 3.40
Extracurricular Activities: campus ministry leadership, pre-pharmacy society, residence hall council member, dining hall student employee, university student bus driver, tutor, pre-optometry society, waitress, optometric technician, study abroad (2 campus ministries while abroad), honors program + graduated with honors
Schools applied: UAB and ICO
Interviews extended/date: UAB (08/01/2019), ICO (08/29/2019)
Interviews accepted: UAB (08/24/2019), ICO (09/06/2019)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
UAB (08/28/2019), ICO (09/20/2019)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/18/2019
Date verified: 7/22/2019
OAT Scores: 320 AA/300 TS
Major: Cellular and Molecular Biology
GPA: 3.65 overall; 3.55 science
Extracurricular Activities: 120+ shadowing hours, President/Founder of my universities POPS, A.E.D. officer, lots of volunteering, molecular biology research, & Chemistry lab TA.
Schools applied: UHCO, UAB, SCO, UIWRSO, & NSU
Interviews extended/date: SCO 7/23, UAB 8/6
Interviews accepted: SCO 9/9, UAB 9/20
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Amazing stats! Which school is your number one if you dont mind me asking? I applied to similar ones but my stata are no where near as stellar

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/04
Date verified: 08/05
OAT Scores: 300 AA/280 TS
Major: applied human biology
GPA: 3.1
Extracurricular Activities: 2 years optometric tech, 50 hours shadowing different locations, lots of volunteer,
Schools applied: SCCO, Western U, PUCO, KYCO, UIWRSO, UHCO, SCO, ICO
Interviews extended/date: western u (08/08), KYCO (08/08), ICO 08/30, PUCO 09/03
Interviews accepted: western (09/13), PUCO (10/18)
Interviews declined: ICO, KYCO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Western 9/16

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/31/19
Date verified: 08/01/19
OAT Scores: 320AA / 300 TS
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.43 overall; 3.71 science
Extracurricular Activities: 3 years as lead opthalmic tech, 80+ hours shadowing, hosting free basic vision screening, volunteering, VP HKSA, VP Badminton Club, 1 year marketing analyst for LG
Schools applied: ICO, PCO, SUNY, UMSL
Interviews extended/date: PCO (08/05), UMSL (08/09), SUNY (08/21), ICO (08/29)
Interviews accepted: PCO (09/09), UMSL (09/16), SUNY (09/23)
Interviews declined: ICO (09/27)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: PCO (09/13), UMSL (09/16), SUNY (09/23)

Last edited:
Amazing stats! Which school is your number one if you dont mind me asking? I applied to similar ones but my stata are no where near as stellar
UHCO is my number one, I am from Texas. SCO or UAB are my next choices!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/24/19 (for ICO, AZCOPT, and UIWRSO), 7/31/19 (for SCCO)
Date verified: 7/25/19 (for ICO, AZCOPT, and UIWRSO), 8/5/19 (for SCCO)
OAT Scores: 380 AA, 390 TS
Major: Chemistry (w/ Fine Arts minor)
GPA: 3.84 cumulative, 3.77 overall science
Extracurricular Activities: 1 year as an optometric technician, combined 80+ hours shadowing private practice and retail, lots of volunteer experience, treasurer of Intercultural Student Network, campus ministry, Carroll Outreach Team, president of Circle K, chemistry lab aide, library aide
Schools applied: ICO, UIWRSO, AZCOPT, SCCO
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT (7/26), UIWRSO (8/1), SCCO (8/5), ICO (8/22)
Interviews accepted: AZCOPT (8/23), SCCO (9/13), ICO (9/27)
Interviews declined: UIWRSO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: AZCOPT (8/28), SCCO (9/16), ICO (10/7)

Last edited:
UHCO is my number one, I am from Texas. SCO or UAB are my next choices!
You will get it! I was looking at UH stats and it looks like they mostly accept in state apps. Since I'm out of state, I've already made the assumption I might not be going there.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Could you please show me how to create the blank between paragraphs on OptomCAS essay? Because when I go to check status. I cannot see any blank between paragraphs I made. Thanks.

Hello everyone,

Could you please show me how to create the blank between paragraphs on OptomCAS essay? Because when I go to check status. I cannot see any blank between paragraphs I made. Thanks.
It wont show the blanks just where ever you start a new line. It's not a big deal though.

Date verified: 7/25/2019
Interviews extended/date: OSU 7/23/19, scheduling interview soon! IUSO 7/25/19
Interviews accepted: OSU 8/9/19, IUSO 9/6/19
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Have you filled out the IUSO supplemental app?

Have you filled out the IUSO supplemental app?
I have not! I received an email that said they are having trouble with the application that is supposed to be resolved at the beginning of September. I am attending the admission day on Sept 6!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/12/19
Date verified: 7/22/19
OAT Scores: 310/310
Major:
GPA: 3.80/3.65
Extracurricular Activities:
Schools applied: UIWRSO, UHCO, AZCOPT, SCO, OSU, UMSL
Interviews extended/date: UIWRSO 8/26, OSU 8/12, SCO 7/22, AZCOPT 7/26, UMSL 9/12, UHCO 9/28
Interviews accepted: SCO 9/6, AZCOPT 9/13, UIWRSO 10/11.
Interviews declined: OSU, UMSL, UHCO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: 9/10 SCO, 9/18 AZCOPT, 10/16 UIWRSO

Last edited:
I have not! I received an email that said they are having trouble with the application that is supposed to be resolved at the beginning of September. I am attending the admission day on Sept 6!
Was the admission day something you were invited to or just something you're doing on your own?

Was the admission day something you were invited to or just something you're doing on your own?
I was invited to it. It is IUSO’s “interview.” You aren’t actually interviewed 1 on 1 or 2 on 1. You spend the day with current students and faculty and speak with them throughout the day while listening to info sessions and eating lunch.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/24/19 (for ICO, AZCOPT, and UIWRSO), 7/31/19 (for SCCO)
Extracurricular Activities: 1 year as an optometric technician, combined 80+ hours shadowing private practice and retail, lots of volunteer experience, treasurer of Intercultural Student Network, campus ministry, Carroll Outreach Team, president of Circle K, chemistry lab aide, library aide
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT (7/26), UIWRSO (8/1), SCCO (8/5)
Interviews accepted: AZCOPT (9/13), UIWRSO (10/11), SCCO
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
When is your interview with SCCO?

Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT (7/26), UIWRSO (8/1), SCCO (8/5)
Interviews accepted: AZCOPT (8/23), UIWRSO (10/11), SCCO (9/13)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Wow you heard back so fast! And amazing stats btw, congrats! Which is your number one if you dont mind me asking?

Wow you heard back so fast! And amazing stats btw, congrats! Which is your number one if you dont mind me asking?
Yes I did haha I was so surprised by how quickly I heard back. Thank you so much! Congratulations for you also for getting interviews! My number one at the moment is ICO what about you?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/15/19
Date verified:
OAT Scores: 390 AA; 400 TS
Major: Microbiology
GPA: 3.95
Extracurricular Activities: Optometric tech at private practice x 1.5 years, Exec board for Optometry Club, Non-profit work organizing mobile health clinics, STEM TA 2+ years, Research Assistant, Volunteer at Ophthalmology clinic, 50 hours of shadowing
Schools applied: OSU, NOVA, SCO
Interviews accepted: 08/09 (SCO) , 08/16 (NOVA) , 08/23 (OSU)
Interviews declined: None
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: 08/14

Accepted into SCO (08/14)!

Reactions: 5 users
Yes I did haha I was so surprised by how quickly I heard back. Thank you so much! Congratulations for you also for getting interviews! My number one at the moment is ICO what about you?
Ooo nice you should like it there and get in! I want to go to UIWSRO but they havent contacted me yet. I'm trying to remain hopeful and say to myself it's still early even though I've heard from 3 others already. *shrugs*

Has anyone heard from ICO yet? :unsure:
They are my number one and I've received interviews from SCCO, OSU, SCO, NECO, Salus, Midwestern (Arizona) and MCPHS so I was feeling deflated not hearing anything at all from ICO. Do they send out interviews later than other schools?
I am deciding if I should take more interviews just in case or if I should wait it out since ICO is really my number one.

Good luck to all!!

Ooo nice you should like it there and get in! I want to go to UIWSRO but they havent contacted me yet. I'm trying to remain hopeful and say to myself it's still early even though I've heard from 3 others already. *shrugs*
Thank you! I'm sure you'll be able to get an interview soon. I haven't heard back from ICO yet so I understand how you feel. The schools are probably swamped with a lot of applications at this time, so it might take a little while to hear back I'm guessing.

They are my number one and I've received interviews from SCCO, OSU, SCO, NECO, Salus, Midwestern (Arizona) and MCPHS so I was feeling deflated not hearing anything at all from ICO. Do they send out interviews later than other schools?
I am deciding if I should take more interviews just in case or if I should wait it out since ICO is really my number one.

Good luck to all!!
I'm in the same boat as you! ICO is also my number one. I haven't heard anything from ICO yet and I think this is the case for a few of the other students who have applied this year that I've asked. Their website says that it usually takes 3-4 weeks for them to get back to you, so I think it just takes time.

Decided to finally do one of my own...

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/06
Date verified: 8/06
OAT Scores: 360AA, 340TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.3
Extracurricular Activities: varsity athlete, officer in my sorority, lifeguard, peer mentor, hospital volunteer, 20+ hours of shadowing
Schools applied: IUSO, ICO, SCO, OSU, Salus, UHCO, UAB, UMSL, UIWRSO, NECO
Interviews extended/date: SCO (8/06), Salus (8/07), NECO (8/07), UMSL (8/08), UIWRSO (8/08), OSU (8/09), UAB (8/12), IUSO (8/14)
Interviews accepted: SCO (9/27), Salus (9/09), NECO (9/23), OSU (10/04), UAB (10/11), IUSO (9/06)
Interviews declined: ICO, UHCO, UMSL
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: IUSO, Salus, NECO, SCO (10/3)

Wasn't really keeping track of acceptance dates, but all have been pretty soon after interviewing

Last edited:

Good luck to all!!
Judging from class of 2023 posts, I think we should be hearing back sometime next week (around the 21st or so)! My email from them received on 08/01 after my transcript was verified said I would hear back within 1-3 weeks. Don't worry too much!

Does anyone know what your chances of getting accepted are if you are invited to interview??

Judging from class of 2023 posts, I think we should be hearing back sometime next week (around the 21st or so)! My email from them received on 08/01 after my transcript was verified said I would hear back within 1-3 weeks. Don't worry too much!
Ugh thank you!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/16/19
Date verified: 8/19/19
OAT Scores: 340 AA, 360 TS
Major: Biochemistry
GPA: 3.48 overall, 3.48 science
Extracurricular Activities: Biochemistry Research technician, ACS published research paper, 2014 Vietnam Mission trip, 60+ hours of shadowing (three different doctors), musician, congregational worship music, other activities not related to optometry.
Schools applied: SCCO, WesternU, AZCOPT, SCO
Interviews extended/date: SCCO (8/22), WesternU (8/20), AZCOPT (8/20), SCO (8/21)
Interviews accepted: SCCO (9/13), WesterunU (9/20), AZCOPT (10/18)
Interviews declined: WesternU, AZCOPT, SCO (SCCO was my #1 choice from the beginning)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCCO (9/16)

Going to SCCO. Good luck everyone.

Last edited: