Class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome, thank you for the great tips!
No problem. Make sure you jot down ideas and concepts you want to convey to your interviewer when asked those questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted into SCO (08/14)!
Heeyy, are you planning to attend SCO?? How did you like the city and the University? I got accepted and I loved the University, but I did not really like the city!! would like to know your experience as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!
The interview was pretty laid back. The interview day in general was pretty chill. The interview is one on one and should be about 35 minutes long. However, my interview think went up to 45 minutes long just cause me and my interviewer were enjoying our conversation. I missed half of my campus tour cause of it haha. All in all, the interviewer just wants to know you and what makes you motivated and such, so just be yourself. Questions are pretty standard like, "tell me about yourself", "why optometry?", "Why SCCO?", "do you feel prepared for graduate school?", ethical issue I've experienced and how I handled it, etc. My interviewer was pretty easy to talk to so the interview felt like a conversation more than anything. However, my experience can possibly differ for anyone else depending on your interviewer. You hear back the monday after! Hope this helps!
Hey, I wanted to ask what made SCCO your dream optometry school and what factors you considered before choosing it? Also, were there a lot of people interviewing when you did, and did they ask you about your grades and OAT at all or was it closed file? Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I wanted to ask what made SCCO your dream optometry school and what factors you considered before choosing it? Also, were there a lot of people interviewing when you did, and did they ask you about your grades and OAT at all or was it closed file? Thanks for your help!!

I've lived in SoCal all my life so it was ideal for me to save money on living costs. Aside from that, I wanted to be in a program that would help shape me into a comprehensive healthcare provider both in clinical knowledge and patient management skills. Doing my research on SCCO and asking friends who also attend there, SCCO became my ideal choice because of these aspects: Established academics (since the early 1900s), known for teaching good practice management, interprofessional education, huge clinical externships, and a masters program that's included in the tuition with no extra charge!. Knowing that SCCO offers that and also has good board passing scores, I just knew for myself that SCCO can make me into a great optometrist. Their relatively new health care center is very nice also!

SCCO just had its first round of interviews for this cycle on 9/13. When I was there it seemed like at least over 25 applicants possibly? And no the interview was closed file. Nothing asked about OAT or grades. If you get an interview, then you are more than qualified to be there with your stats. Interview part is just to know the person behind the numbers.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/11/2019
Date verified: 7/12/2019
OAT Scores: GRE: 146 QR 149 Verbal
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.58 overall and 3.4 science and 3.5 pre req
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing, volunteering, and work experience
Schools applied: MCPHS and NECO
Interviews extended/date: N/A
Interviews accepted: N/A
Interviews declined: N/A
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: N/A

Do you guys think I have a good shot at MCPHS with my high GPA and applying early despite my low GRE score? I am applying through a partnership agreement with guaranteed admission based on GPA but im worried about my GRE scores. Also do you know if MCPHS sends interview offers through mail or e mail? and when is the earliest time they usually interview?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/22/2019
Date verified: 7/25/2019
OAT Scores: 370 AA, 370TS
Major: Chemistry
GPA: 4.0
sGPA: 4.0
Extracurricular Activities: 3 years technician at private practice, 500+ hours shadowing, Guatemala mission trip, pre-med society president, hospital volunteer 1.5 yrs, lab assistant for general chemistry, fraternity member, greek honor society, and other volunteering.
Schools applied: IUSO, OSU, ICO
Interviews extended/date: OSU 7/23/19, IUSO 7/25/19
Interviews accepted: OSU 8/9/19, IUSO 9/6/19
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: OSU 8/12/19, IUSO 9/9/19

So excited to be done with the application and OAT, now we wait!
I have heard that optomcas takes around 3-4 weeks to verify the application but how come for some of you it is taking only a few days?

I have heard that optomcas takes around 3-4 weeks to verify the application but how come for some of you it is taking only a few days?
I submitted mine early in july and im guessing there was not as much applications submitted as now which is why it didn't take too long,

Heeyy, are you planning to attend SCO?? How did you like the city and the University? I got accepted and I loved the University, but I did not really like the city!! would like to know your experience as well.

I am planning to attend. I also had sketchy impressions of the city. However, I decided to attend regardless due to the scholarship offer I received and my overall positive impressions of the school (clinic, board pass rates, friendliness, academics) From former and current students feedbacks, it seems the crime and sketchier parts are localized and none of the students seemed very concerned. I’m hoping I will find my place in the city as a student! I reasoned with myself that wherever I go school will be my 8-5 job regardless and I won’t have too much time on hand to be much in tune with Memphis. I really liked Mud island at the least, where most of the students live.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/27/2019
Date verified: 9/6/2019
OAT Scores: 370AA/ 380TS
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.8
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing, Vision Therapy Clinic, Medical/ Eyecare medical mission, Pre- optometry president, wildland firefighter, outdoor trip leader, youth group leader
Schools applied: NSUOCO
Interviews extended/date: 9/12/2019
Interviews accepted: 9/19/2019
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: NSUOCO 9/23/2019

Reactions: 2 users
Any Canadians students applying for cycle 2024?
I'm Canadian! I've been accepted at my top 2 American schools and withdrew my application from the other schools, which i had interviews schedule for!

I'm Canadian! I've been accepted at my top 2 American schools and withdrew my application from the other schools, which i had interviews schedule for!
Congrats, which school will you attend? (If you don't mind, because I am Canadian I was just curious :) )

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/12/19
Date verified: 7/22/19
OAT Scores: 310/310
Major:
GPA: 3.80/3.65
Extracurricular Activities:
Schools applied: UIWRSO, UHCO, AZCOPT, SCO, OSU, UMSL
Interviews extended/date: UIWRSO 8/26, OSU 8/12, SCO 7/22, AZCOPT 7/26, UMSL 9/12
Interviews accepted: SCO 9/6, AZCOPT 9/13, UIWRSO 10/22.
Interviews declined: OSU, UMSL
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: 9/10 SCO, 9/18 AZCOPT
hey, Are you thinking about attending SCO??

hey, Are you thinking about attending SCO??
Yes, strongly considering it! It's my number 1, but I just have one more interview that I've already invested alot of money towards to not give it a chance ya know

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, strongly considering it! It's my number 1, but I just have one more interview that I've already invested alot of money towards to not give it a chance ya know
Cool, where you going for your next interview? (if you don't mind) and good luck :)
And how did you like Memphis overall?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/18/2019
Date verified: 7/22/2019
OAT Scores: 320 AA/300 TS
Major: Cellular and Molecular Biology
GPA: 3.65 overall; 3.55 science
Extracurricular Activities: 120+ shadowing hours, President/Founder of my universities POPS, A.E.D. officer, lots of volunteering, molecular biology research, & Chemistry lab TA.
Schools applied: UHCO, UAB, SCO, UIWRSO, & NSU
Interviews extended/date: SCO 7/23, UAB 8/6, UIWRSO 8/7, UHCO 9/6
Interviews accepted: SCO 9/9, UAB 9/20, UIWRSO 9/13, UHCO 9/23
Interviews declined: NOVA
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCO 9/12, UIWRSO 9/18, UAB 9/23

Hi everyone,
Is there anybody here who got an interview from SUNY lately? or rejected by them before getting an interview?
I submitted my application to them about 3 weeks ago, on the confirmation email it said that I will hear from them within the next couple of weeks, but nothing yet. I'm kind of worried about it.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/31/19
Date verified: 08/01/19
OAT Scores: 320AA / 300 TS
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.43 overall; 3.71 science
Extracurricular Activities: 3 years as lead opthalmic tech, 80+ hours shadowing, hosting free basic vision screening, volunteering, VP HKSA, VP Badminton Club, 1 year marketing analyst for LG
Schools applied: ICO, PCO, SUNY, UMSL
Interviews extended/date: PCO (08/05), UMSL (08/09), SUNY (08/21), ICO (08/29)
Interviews accepted: PCO (09/09), UMSL (09/16), SUNY (09/23)
Interviews declined: ICO (09/27)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: PCO (09/13), UMSL (09/16), SUNY (09/23)
I have officially committed to SUNY and will be attending in class of 2020 :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone had their OSU interview yet? If so, how'd it go/what should we expect?

Have been accepted into SCO and PCO so far and am waiting to hear back from NECO. Have one final interview at Indiana University later this month that I'm super pumped about! At this point I've narrowed it down to SCO and IUSO (if I get accepted). Honestly cannot wait 11 more months to start school, which is a thought I never expected to have.

Have been accepted into SCO and PCO so far and am waiting to hear back from NECO. Have one final interview at Indiana University later this month that I'm super pumped about! At this point I've narrowed it down to SCO and IUSO (if I get accepted). Honestly cannot wait 11 more months to start school, which is a thought I never expected to have.

You take that Casper test for PCO?

Yes, I did take the Casper test a couple of months ago. It was fairly straightforward, even though I don't think I did spectacularly by any means. I don't think PCO fully cares about the results of that test at this point in time, since it's the first year they've required it. I believe it's more of a test run.

Yes, I did take the Casper test a couple of months ago. It was fairly straightforward, even though I don't think I did spectacularly by any means. I don't think PCO fully cares about the results of that test at this point in time, since it's the first year they've required it. I believe it's more of a test run.
Can you share your experience doing MMI interview please. How many stations were there? any drawing or actor/actress in the room?

Can you share your experience doing MMI interview please. How many stations were there? any drawing or actor/actress in the room?
It's not a legit MMI like in med school. It's just one question that's fairly simple.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/25/2019
Date verified: 9/26/2019
OAT Scores: 390 AA, 400 TS
Major: Biochemistry
GPA: 3.64
Extracurricular Activities: Working at 2 private offices, 3 years lab assistant, 200 hours of interning at mobile eye clinic, sorority president, Greek council Vice-President, pre-optometry club, 25 hours shadowing with 6 different doctors, volunteer tutor
Schools applied: SCCO & Western
Interviews extended/date: SCCO (10/1), Western (10/4)
Interviews accepted: SCCO (10/21), Western (10/18)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Can't wait for the interviews later this month! Hopefully I can bump into some of you!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Probably IUSO right now. I’m from Indiana, so in-State tuition would be nice especially if I can get a decent scholarship. I’m also considering OSU because it is a great school! ICO has not reached out to me yet.

IU and OSU are great schools. Consider pass rates and in-state benefits vs out-of-state residency being granted. Well done!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/25/2019
Date verified: 9/26/2019
OAT Scores: 390 AA, 400 TS
Major: Biochemistry
GPA: 3.64
Extracurricular Activities: Working at 2 private offices, 3 years lab assistant, 200 hours of interning at mobile eye clinic, sorority president, Greek council Vice-President, pre-optometry club, 25 hours shadowing with 6 different doctors, volunteer tutor
Schools applied: SCCO & Western
Interviews extended/date: SCCO (10/1)
Interviews accepted: SCCO (10/21)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Can't wait for the SCCO interview later this month!! :)
woo! good luck!

• Love
Decided to finally do one of my own...

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/06
Date verified: 8/06
OAT Scores: 360AA, 340TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.3
Extracurricular Activities: varsity athlete, officer in my sorority, lifeguard, peer mentor, hospital volunteer, 20+ hours of shadowing
Schools applied: IUSO, ICO, SCO, OSU, Salus, UHCO, UAB, UMSL, UIWRSO, NECO
Interviews extended/date: SCO (8/06), Salus (8/07), NECO (8/07), UMSL (8/08), UIWRSO (8/08), OSU (8/09), UAB (8/12), IUSO (8/14)
Interviews accepted: SCO (9/27), Salus (9/09), NECO (9/23), OSU (10/04), UAB (10/11), IUSO (9/06)
Interviews declined: ICO, UHCO, UMSL
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: IUSO, Salus, NECO, SCO (10/3)

Wasn't really keeping track of acceptance dates, but all have been pretty soon after interviewing
We’re interviewing on the same day at UAB! Best of luck to you!

Decided to finally do one of my own...

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/06
Date verified: 8/06
OAT Scores: 360AA, 340TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.3
Extracurricular Activities: varsity athlete, officer in my sorority, lifeguard, peer mentor, hospital volunteer, 20+ hours of shadowing
Schools applied: IUSO, ICO, SCO, OSU, Salus, UHCO, UAB, UMSL, UIWRSO, NECO
Interviews extended/date: SCO (8/06), Salus (8/07), NECO (8/07), UMSL (8/08), UIWRSO (8/08), OSU (8/09), UAB (8/12), IUSO (8/14)
Interviews accepted: SCO (9/27), Salus (9/09), NECO (9/23), OSU (10/04), UAB (10/11), IUSO (9/06)
Interviews declined: ICO, UHCO, UMSL
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: IUSO, Salus, NECO, SCO (10/3)

Wasn't really keeping track of acceptance dates, but all have been pretty soon after interviewing
What was your admissions day at Indiana University like? How did you stand out to make sure you got accepted? Do you think most people that were there that day were accepted? Sorry to throw all of these questions on you like that haha!

What was your admissions day at Indiana University like? How did you stand out to make sure you got accepted? Do you think most people that were there that day were accepted? Sorry to throw all of these questions on you like that haha!
They showed us the exact numbers from last year how many applications they received, how many people were invited to the admissions day, and how many were accepted. It looked like from those numbers that as long as you don't mess up, you'll be accepted. I don't remember exact numbers, but it was something like 230 were invited and 160 were accepted. Just make sure you're friendly, ask questions, and talk with the other candidates and you should be fine.

They showed us the exact numbers from last year how many applications they received, how many people were invited to the admissions day, and how many were accepted. It looked like from those numbers that as long as you don't mess up, you'll be accepted. I don't remember exact numbers, but it was something like 230 were invited and 160 were accepted. Just make sure you're friendly, ask questions, and talk with the other candidates and you should be fine.
Appreciate your advice! I see that we were accepted to the same 3 schools and perhaps the same 4 if I get into IUSO. Loved each school so far, but SCO was my favorite. Are you leaning towards any schools? I've been researching IU and think I'll love the program, campus, and Big Ten atmosphere.

Appreciate your advice! I see that we were accepted to the same 3 schools and perhaps the same 4 if I get into IUSO. Loved each school so far, but SCO was my favorite. Are you leaning towards any schools? I've been researching IU and think I'll love the program, campus, and Big Ten atmosphere.
I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm waiting to hear back from OSU and I have UAB later this week, so hopefully I'll be able to make a decision later next week. I really like the bigger public schools though. SCO was definitely my favorite private school, just unsure about the location.

Is it late to still apply? Im thinking of applying to NECO and Salus but just haven't got around to finishing my personal statement, i'm hoping to submit it by next week.

Should I submit my application without my OAT done? I plan on taking it early November. I've filled out all the information required for OPTOMCAS, just waiting to get my OAT done at this point.

Should I submit my application without my OAT done? I plan on taking it early November. I've filled out all the information required for OPTOMCAS, just waiting to get my OAT done at this point.
Yes you can still submit your application without taking the OAT! Just tell the schools when you're planning to take it.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/08/19
Date verified: 09/11/19
OAT Scores: 390/340
Major: Optometry
GPA: 3.57
Extracurricular Activities: Optometry shadowing, Volunteering, optometrist, publication
Schools applied: NSU/ ICO/ SUNY
Interviews extended/date: NSU (09/24), ICO (09/12), SUNY (11/11)
Interviews accepted: NSU (10/07), ICO (10/15)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NSU (10/17), ICO (11/05)

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/08/19
Date verified: 09/11/19
OAT Scores: 390/340
Major: Optometry
GPA: 3.57
Extracurricular Activities: Optometry shadowing, Volunteering, optometrist, publication
Schools applied: NSU/ ICO/ SUNY
Interviews extended/date: NSU (09/24), ICO (09/12)
Interviews accepted: NSU (10/07), ICO (10/15)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NSU (10/17)
Have you not heard back from SUNY?

Have you not heard back from SUNY?
My application is a little bit different than traditional program (it's advanced standing OD program), that's why SUNY didn't invite
for interview yet. It will happen late November as they said.

I have officially committed to SUNY and will be attending in class of 2020 :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:!
Congrats! I have my SUNY interview coming up next week and am super nervous. Do you mind sharing the type of questions they asked you? Did they ask any hypothetical situations? Any tips in general? Thanks!

Congrats! I have my SUNY interview coming up next week and am super nervous. Do you mind sharing the type of questions they asked you? Did they ask any hypothetical situations? Any tips in general? Thanks!

Thank you! And in regards to my experience I typed up a full post under
But in general, I wouldn't over prepare because they tailor their questions toward your CV and transcript! For example, they asked me questions about my leadership position as vice captain of the badminton team and also very specific questions about my clinical experiences at the private practice I worked at because i mentioned heavily in my personal statement that I saw patients in the exam room every day. The interview is not scary at all and they really just ask questions to know you better as an individual. Best of luck during your interview and I hope to see you there next year! If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

Thank you! And in regards to my experience I typed up a full post under
But in general, I wouldn't over prepare because they tailor their questions toward your CV and transcript! For example, they asked me questions about my leadership position as vice captain of the badminton team and also very specific questions about my clinical experiences at the private practice I worked at because i mentioned heavily in my personal statement that I saw patients in the exam room every day. The interview is not scary at all and they really just ask questions to know you better as an individual. Best of luck during your interview and I hope to see you there next year! If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.
Oops didn’t see that thanks for attaching! Regarding your clinical experiences did they ask specific questions on conditions you saw like more optometry/science related ? Because I also worked as a technician and currently work as a vision therapist so just wondering how in detail I should prepare. And thank you! Hope to see you next year as well. Really hoping for SUNY

Oops didn’t see that thanks for attaching! Regarding your clinical experiences did they ask specific questions on conditions you saw like more optometry/science related ? Because I also worked as a technician and currently work as a vision therapist so just wondering how in detail I should prepare. And thank you! Hope to see you next year as well. Really hoping for SUNY
So the left the question pretty open ended. We just went into depth from the points that I brought up. There's not too much you need to prepare for but I would advise going over your transcript and personal statement to make sure you remember what you talked about! It's very very conversational and the most you need to do i create some simple mental notes. Only talk about what you're confident about or else you'll ramble.

Hi there,
I'm wondering to know is there anybody here who received a scholarship from NSU?
I will appreciate it if you let me know about it.
I like to know if they mentioned it in your acceptance letter? or they let you know about it after acceptance?

So the left the question pretty open ended. We just went into depth from the points that I brought up. There's not too much you need to prepare for but I would advise going over your transcript and personal statement to make sure you remember what you talked about! It's very very conversational and the most you need to do i create some simple mental notes. Only talk about what you're confident about or else you'll ramble.
Got it! Thanks so much!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/17/2019
Date verified: 10/23/2019
OAT Scores: 360 AA / 350 TS
Major: Biochemistry + Evolution & Ecology
GPA: 2.78 LOL
Extracurricular Activities: undergrad research, rowing, 1500 + hrs optician, shadowing, volunteering at the center for the blind
Schools applied: OSU, UH, SCCO, AZCOPT, Midwestern, Salus + still filling out essays for Western, KYCO, NECO
Interviews extended/date: ICO (10/25), SALUS (10/25), SCCO (10/25), SCO (10/30)
Interviews accepted: SCCO (12/02), ICO (11/22), PCO (11/25), SCO (12/6), NECO (12/9), KYCO (12/20)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date: AZCOPT, Midwestern (10/24)
Acceptance/date:

Auto rejected from both Midwestern campuses for not having a science GPA over 2.75. It was suuuper discouraging, but I'm excited to interview at SCCO, my top choice school. I know that I check SDN religiously and try to compare stats to judge my chances at getting an interview invite, and I hope that my poor grades will encourage some people to apply. Everyone has a chance! You just gotta put yourself out there. If you are passionate, the schools will see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Better late than never :)

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/18
Date verified: 9/20
OAT Scores: 350 AA, 350 TS
Major: Microbiology, minor in chemistry
GPA: 3.963
Extracurricular Activities: 3+ years as an assistant for vision therapy and sports vision practice, 10 hours of optometric shadowing, 2 years as a leader for Christian Challenge (campus club), 2 years as church Jr. High teacher, 6 years as a lifeguard/swim teacher, 2 years volunteering at a local hospital.
Schools applied: PUCO, SCCO, AZCOPT, UCBSO
Interviews extended/date: UCBSO (10/21), SCCO (9/25), AZCOPT (9/24), PUCO (9/24)
Interviews accepted: UCBSO (1/25), SCCO (11/2). PUCO (10/18), AZCOPT (11/8)
Interviews declined: N/A
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: PUCO (10/31), SCCO (11/4), AZCOPT (11/13)

Last edited: