Class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Date OptomCAS submitted: 2/20/20
Date verified: 2/27/20
GRE Score: Verbal: 155 | Quantitative: 151 | Writing: 4.5
Major: Public Health
Undergrad GPA: 3.5 overall, 3.29 sGpa
Extracurricular Activities: President of Vietnamese Student Association, Optometric Assistant ~5 years, shadowing in ophthalmology clinic ~4 months, worked at a health-tech start-up during my "gap year" ~1 year, public health intern at different non-profits through my 2nd-4th year of undergraduate
Schools applied: UIW, Midwestern AZCOPT, SCCO, Western
Interviews extended/date: UIW, Midwestern AZCOPT, Western
Interviews accepted: UIW, Midwestern AZCOPT
Interviews declined: Western (received interview offer after both my deadlines to accept my offers at UIW and Midwestern.. I didn't want to take any chances in case I get rejected by Western lol)
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: UIW, Midwestern AZCOPT

Will be attending AZCOPT this fall!

I was scheduled to take the OAT in March but it ended up getting cancelled due to COVID-19. I was scoring in the mid 300's so I was super bummed that my test ended up getting cancelled. Luckily the schools I applied to (minus SCCO) accepted the GRE in addition to the OAT so I submitted those scores instead. I decided to take the GRE a few years ago in case I wanted to pursue my MPH degree first lol. I was worried submitting my GRE scores would hurt my application as I was going against other applicants who most likely have taken the OAT. To my surprise, I ended up getting interview offers and got accepted to both UIW and AZCOPT. Both schools were really impressed with my experience (especially working at a start-up lol) and my dedication to improve my GPA. I showed major improvement in my GPA in my final two years of undergrad and also retook a few pre-requisites at a local community college. Keep staying positive if your science GPA's are low! Just make sure to show improvement and get some diverse experience 🙂
See you there!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey do you have any tips for interviews for AZCOPT?
Just act natural, dress well, it is a semi closed book interview so they can see your personal info/essays from OptomCAS but they can not see your GPA or OAT scores. No trick questions when I was there it was more like they were just trying to see if I would be a good fit personality-wise. Be open and honest with your responses I definitely got the feeling that they wanted me there, and were just putting a face to my OptomCAS profile. The interview itself will only last between 10-15mins, the rest of the time is a tour of the campus and interactions with current students. It was a really great experience.
 
Hello !!! I am wondering if anybody knows where to find housing by NECO for this upcoming fall or if anybody is looking for a roommate please msg me !