Class of 2025 :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone heard from PCO/Salus?? I got an email saying my application was reviewed. There were 2 things missing from it they wanted an update on so I emailed them that update but does anyone know when we should start hearing from them about interviews?
I emailed them and asked, I got the same email on July 27th and I know everything is updated that they need from me (CASPer and everything). I'll let you know what they say!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed them and asked, I got the same email on July 27th and I know everything is updated that they need from me (CASPer and everything). I'll let you know what they say!
I do not believe PCO has extended interviews to anyone yet!! I also got the same email about a month ago saying that my application was reviewed, but I don't think they've figured out details yet as far as interviews go. My CASPer Test was approved in July, and I have not heard back from them. Don't fret! I think they are just trying to decide what to do about interview formatting with it probably being virtual.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not believe PCO has extended interviews to anyone yet!! I also got the same email about a month ago saying that my application was reviewed, but I don't think they've figured out details yet as far as interviews go. My CASPer Test was approved in July, and I have not heard back from them. Don't fret! I think they are just trying to decide what to do about interview formatting with it probably being virtual.
Do you know if CASPer has to be done before they extend an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/7/20
Date verified: 7/15/20
OAT Scores: 360 AA/350 TS
Major: Biomedical Sciences with a minor in Business
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.88 overall, 3.78 science
Extracurricular Activities: worked in optometry office, shadowed 2 optometrists, couple of different volunteer groups, leadership position in sorority, part-time job
Schools applied: NECO, SCO, ICO, UAB, NOVA
Interviews extended/date: NECO (7/23), UAB (7/29), SCO (8/5), NOVA (8/17), ICO (8/19)
Interviews accepted/date: NECO (8/21), UAB (8/25), SCO (8/13), NOVA (8/24), ICO (8/31)
Interviews declined/date:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCO (8/19)

Good luck to everyone!!
Is the ICO interview in person or online?

It's online.
Did you have to ask for it to be online? My interview invite says, "We are looking forward to having you on campus on this important day." So mine makes it seem like it is in-person.

Did you have to ask for it to be online? My interview invite says, "We are looking forward to having you on campus on this important day." So mine makes it seem like it is in-person.
mine said the same thing but I'm wondering if it was just a generic email used for invites last year?

mine said the same thing but I'm wondering if it was just a generic email used for invites last year?
I reached out to a current ICO student and she said that they are still planning on conducting in person interviews, but I also emailed admissions to double check!

I reached out to a current ICO student and she said that they are still planning on conducting in person interviews, but I also emailed admissions to double check!
can you update once they reply? I'm probably gonna call on Monday to schedule my interview so I guess i could just confirm then too lol

can you update once they reply? I'm probably gonna call on Monday to schedule my interview so I guess i could just confirm then too lol
Yes I will definitely update you! Let me know if you end up asking on Monday too please!! I'm really hoping there is some option to interview online because of covid stuff and having to quarantine after traveling

My email said the same thing, but when I called to schedule the admissions lady told me it was online. I didn't ask for it to be online, so I am under the impression that they all are.

My email said the same thing, but when I called to schedule the admissions lady told me it was online. I didn't ask for it to be online, so I am under the impression that they all are.
Oh amazing! Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/02/2020
Date verified: 08/04/2020
OAT Scores: 340 AA/ 320 TS
Major: Medical Studies (B.S.) - Optometry Track
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.61/3.91
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowed 4 optometrists, 1 ophthalmologist (4 month internship with 2 optometrists, currently in an internship with 1 optometrist), Treasurer of Pre-Optometry club, Treasurer of Pre-med club, volunteer at a special needs daycare (+150 hrs), volunteer at 2 other local organizations (+75 hrs);
Past employment at Discover card, Chase Bank (assistant manager), Library aide (at my university library)
Multiple honors and dean’s list awards
Letters of Recommendation: 2 from Optometrists (interned with), 1 from my Organic Chemistry II professor
Schools applied: AZCOPT (08/04), SCCO (09/02)
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT (08/04/2020), SCCO (09/14/2020)
Interviews accepted/date: AZCOPT (8/11) SCCO (09/22)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCCO (09/25)
Waitlisted: AZCOPT (08/25)

Last edited:
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowed 4 optometrists, 1 ophthalmologist (4 month internship with 2 optometrists, currently in an internship with 1 optometrist), Treasurer of Pre-Optometry club, Treasurer of Pre-med club, volunteer at a special needs daycare (+150 hrs), volunteer at 2 other local organizations (+75 hrs);
Past employment at Discover card, Chase Bank (assistant manager), Library aide (at my university library)
Schools applied: AZCOPT
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT (08/04/2020)
Interviews accepted/date: AZCOPT (8/11)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

I don’t understand why I was waitlisted, my GPA and OAT scores are higher than the average accepted for their prior year’s class. In my virtual interview, I personally feel it went really well.

I got an email just before midnight so plan on contacting them tomorrow but anyone have any advice? Is it acceptable to ask if my GPA is too low or my scores aren’t high enough? Very heart breaking and disappointed.
Hi! First off, congrats on getting an interview because that is such an accomplishment in itself! Your stats and extracurriculars are definitely admirable, so I would reach out to admissions and receive feedback on why you were waitlisted. I was waitlisted at AZCOPT before receiving an interview, so I reached out to them and they advised that I retake the OAT. I think reaching out to them would be a great idea and shows perseverance. If you're open to it, it is still not late to apply to other schools as well because your stats are awesome!!

Schools applied: AZCOPT
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT (08/04/2020)
Interviews accepted/date: AZCOPT (8/11)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

I don’t understand why I was waitlisted, my GPA and OAT scores are higher than the average accepted for their prior year’s class. In my virtual interview, I personally feel it went really well.

I got an email just before midnight so plan on contacting them tomorrow but anyone have any advice? Is it acceptable to ask if my GPA is too low or my scores aren’t high enough? Very heart breaking and disappointed.
Congrats on getting the interview in the first place! This school is becoming more and more competitive as time goes on I feel. How do you feel about your recommenders? were they strong? Your stats are great and honestly I am very puzzled as well, especially since you said your interview went well. I would definitely reach out to admissions, the woman that works there is very open to helping everyone.

Congrats on getting the interview in the first place! This school is becoming more and more competitive as time goes on I feel. How do you feel about your recommenders? were they strong? Your stats are great and honestly I am very puzzled as well, especially since you said your interview went well. I would definitely reach out to admissions, the woman that works there is very open to helping everyone.
Thank you. I worked so hard for my stats and to achieve these results, I'm puzzled. Yeah I had 2 recommendations from optometrists and 1 from my Ochem 2 professor. 1 of the optometrists actually sent me a copy of the letter and it looked amazing. The other two I believe are really strong, I connected really well with my Ochem professor. I hope I didn't rub them the wrong way somehow during my interview. I came off direct and engaged the entire time. I was down for a bit but holding my head high and listening to their future feedback.

Hi! First off, congrats on getting an interview because that is such an accomplishment in itself! Your stats and extracurriculars are definitely admirable, so I would reach out to admissions and receive feedback on why you were waitlisted. I was waitlisted at AZCOPT before receiving an interview, so I reached out to them and they advised that I retake the OAT. I think reaching out to them would be a great idea and shows perseverance. If you're open to it, it is still not late to apply to other schools as well because your stats are awesome!!
Thank you for the advice! I called twice, left a voicemail and emailed. I hope to speak to them over the phone than via email but we'll see, I know it's a busy time for them as well. I may have to apply to my next schools but we'll see.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/24/2020
Date verified: 08/25/2020
OAT Scores: 350AA, 390TS
Major: B.S Biology
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.93 / 3.94
Extracurricular Activities: 2 years work experience as pharmacy tech, 20 hours OD shadowing, 6 months volunteering at a nursing and rehab hospital, some involvement with university chemistry club and pre-health club (nothing too special), 1 semester as a gen-chem and physics tutor.
Schools applied: IU, MCO@Ferris State, OSU
Interviews extended/date: (MCO 8/26), (IUSO 9/2), (OSU 9/16)
Interviews accepted/date: (MCO 9/25), (IUSO 9/11), (OSU 10/16)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: IUSO (9/15)

Last edited:
When did you apply and what stats, if you don't mind sharing?
my stats are on the first page, and i activated my osu username on monday! i completed the supplemental last week, and submitted the optomCAS application on 8/17

Date OptomCAS submitted: July 15
Date verified: July 18
OAT Scores: 300/300
Major: Life Sciences
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.09/3.02
Schools applied: PCO, MCPHS, SCO, ICO, NOVA, IAUPR, Ferris State, IUSO, UABSO, KYCO
Interviews extended/date: NOVA (8/21), ICO (8/21), IUSO (8/24), MCPHS (8/26)
Interviews accepted/date: NOVA (9/14), ICO (the portal is causing issues for me), IUSO (10/16), MCPHS (9/8)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

what do you guys think? My GPA and OAT scores are on the lower end but I have a lot of extracurricular involvement with almost 5 years of experience in working in an optometry office, shadowing several doctors and have a high leadership position at my university's optometry club.
How did you get into the MCPHS portal? I keep trying to schedule my interview and it just keeps saying that my username or email doesn't exist???

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/19/2020
Date verified: 7/22/2020
OAT Scores: AA: 330, TS: 350
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.58 overall, 3.48 science
Extracurricular Activities: OD tech (2 years), pharmacy tech, shadowing, volunteering, tutoring, teaching assistant for microbiology lab, and president of pre-optometry club.
Schools applied: PUCO, UCBSO, SCCO, OSU, NECO, and SUNY.
Interviews extended/date: NECO(7/27), PUCO(8/3), SCCO(8/4), UCBSO(8/10), SUNY(8/12),
Interviews accepted/date: NECO(8/17), PUCO(9/11), SCCO(9/1), UCBSO(8/25), SUNY(9/21),
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

If you don't mind me asking - how was your interview with Berkeley??

If you don't mind me asking - how was your interview with Berkeley??
It went well. The interview consisted of a faculty member and a current student. They asked me some general interview questions and some behavioral/situational questions. Some of the situational questions were wordy and convoluted so listening is key for a good answer. Other than that, they were very nice and the 30 minutes went by fast. Pretty casual and had enough time to ask questions.

How did you get into the MCPHS portal? I keep trying to schedule my interview and it just keeps saying that my username or email doesn't exist???
I think 3-4 weeks ago after I got my optomcas application verified, MCPHS sent me an email to create my account on their portal. It had all the information required for to create it which I used today to schedule my interview! Check your email's spam/junk folder!

Is there a way to check your OSU application status? Have you heard of anyone who got a status update from OSU?

Extracurricular Activities: worked in optometry office, shadowed 2 optometrists, couple of different volunteer groups, leadership position in sorority, part-time job
Interviews extended/date: NECO (7/23), UAB (7/29), SCO (8/5), NOVA (8/17), ICO (8/19)
Interviews accepted/date: NECO (8/21), UAB (8/25), SCO (8/13), NOVA (8/24), ICO (8/31)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCO (8/19)

Good luck to everyone!!
how was your interview at nova?? Also how long was it? thank you and good luck!

It went well. The interview consisted of a faculty member and a current student. They asked me some general interview questions and some behavioral/situational questions. Some of the situational questions were wordy and convoluted so listening is key for a good answer. Other than that, they were very nice and the 30 minutes went by fast. Pretty casual and had enough time to ask questions.
Thank you!! Were the behavioral questions hard? Did you have to ask them to repeat the questions?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/24/2020
Date verified: 08/25/2020
OAT Scores: 350AA, 390TS
Major: B.S Biology
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.93 / 3.94
Schools applied: IU, MCO@Ferris State, OSU
Interviews extended/date: (MCO 8/26)
Interviews accepted/date: (MCO 9/25)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

IUSO and OSU both sent me emails yesterday, 8-26, inviting me to complete their supplemental applications

how was your interview at nova?? Also how long was it? thank you and good luck!
It went well! For me, it started with my faculty interview which was closed file followed by an open file interview with one of the recruiters. The faculty interview was more questions like why optometry, how did you choose optometry, and asking them any questions you had. The open file was asking more about academic record, times that you have failed, and how you deal with stress. Then you talked with the dean of student affairs followed by a student panel. So, all in all the day was kind of long (10:30-2:30ish), but I had a break in between my interviews and talking to the dean, so it didn't feel as long as it actually was. Good luck!

It went well! For me, it started with my faculty interview which was closed file followed by an open file interview with one of the recruiters. The faculty interview was more questions like why optometry, how did you choose optometry, and asking them any questions you had. The open file was asking more about academic record, times that you have failed, and how you deal with stress. Then you talked with the dean of student affairs followed by a student panel. So, all in all the day was kind of long (10:30-2:30ish), but I had a break in between my interviews and talking to the dean, so it didn't feel as long as it actually was. Good luck!
was the talk with the dean of student affairs individual or was it like multiple people on a zoom meeting? I'm nervous haha but i do appreciate your help!

was the talk with the dean of student affairs individual or was it like multiple people on a zoom meeting? I'm nervous haha but i do appreciate your help!
There were multiple people in the meeting. I don't remember exactly how many other candidates there were, but I think it was 5 or 6 others. And no problem! I know it's nerve wracking, but once the interview starts all the the nerves go away!

There were multiple people in the meeting. I don't remember exactly how many other candidates there were, but I think it was 5 or 6 others. And no problem! I know it's nerve wracking, but once the interview starts all the the nerves go away!
thank you so much!! and congrats on your acceptance to NOVA today!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/27/2020
Date verified: 8/28/2020
OAT Scores: 320 AA; 310 TS (taken 10/21/2020)
Major: Neuroscience | Minors: Psychology; Science, Technology, & Law
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.68 overall; 3.61 science
Experiences: Teaching Assistant Spring 2020 (Intro to Neuroscience lecture, covid transition semester); Panama study abroad Winter 2020 (research/service work); 25 hours shadowing optometrist Summer 2019; sorority member; neuroscience club member; part-time job (6 years); headed research proposal on cure for juvenile open-angle glaucoma/JOAG; wrote IP review of existing contact lens patent applications
Schools applied: PCO/Salus; NECO; NOVA*; ICO; IUSO
Interviews extended/date: Salus (9/2); IUSO (9/4); NECO (9/15); ICO (9/15);
Interviews accepted/date: Salus (9/29); NECO (10/30 - canceled); ICO (11/6)
Interviews declined/date: IUSO (9/5); NECO (10/27)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: PCO/Salus (10/1); ICO (11/13)

I'm thrilled to have been extended interview invitations from 4/5 of the schools I applied to before having taken the OAT -- for anyone else who is looking to apply but has not yet taken the OAT: do it!

* NOVA kept emailing me PDF documents to sign and send back to them for my application to continue through their system. I fell behind with these, as I was busy studying for the OAT, and have decided not to proceed with that whole process.

ICO Class of 2025!

After recently visiting my top choices while following pandemic precautions, I fell in love with Chicago and the ICO facility! Coming from the East Coast, I am so excited to further explore such a vibrant and expansive Midwestern city like Chicago while obtaining a thorough education in optometry. :)

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/28/2020
Date verified: 8/31/2020
OAT Scores: AA: 360, TS: 350
Major: Biology, minor in Applied Statistics
GPA: 3.58 cumulative, 3.44 science (OptomCAS verified)
Extracurricular Activities: optometric tech at 2 private practices (1 year), 240 hours shadowing at a private practice, 4 years volunteering at free medical outreach for optometry, 2 years Public Relations chair for healthcare volunteering org, 2 years hospital volunteering, research in bioinformatics and psych labs, president of collegiate a cappella team, 2 years math/science tutor, 1 year medical assistant for neurology office
Schools applied: UCBSO, ICO, IUSO, PCO (Salus), SUNY
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (9/1), IUSO (9/2), UCBSO (9/14), ICO (9/14), PCO/Salus (9/22)
Interviews accepted/date: SUNY (10/8), IUSO (9/18), UCBSO (9/30), PCO/Salus (10/16)
Interviews declined/date: ICO (9/14)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
IUSO (9/22), SUNY (10/13), PCO/Salus (10/22), UCBSO (10/23)

I'll be joining the Berkeley Class of 2025!!! :3 Feel free to dm and introduce yourself, I'd love to get acquainted!!! <3

Last edited:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCO (8/19), NOVA (8/27), UAB (8/28)

Good luck to everyone!!
How did your interview with ICO go? Any advice or tips?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/15/2020
Date verified: 7/17/2020
OAT Scores: TBD
Major: Kinesiology Pre-Med w/ Biology, Chemistry and Honors Interdisciplinary Minors.
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.59 Overall and 3.45 Science
Schools applied: KYCO, NOVA, IUSO, & PCO
Extracurricular Activities: 1.5 year optometric technician, 4 months interning 2 ODs, 380 hours volunteering at a nursing home, sorority leadership positions: historian chair, leadership chair, spirit chair, finance assistant chair and risk management team, Black Student Association: event coordinator and campus outreach chair, Asian Student Association: IOC chair, Microbiology and Immunology peer tutor, Honors Program social/cultural committee, Golden LEAF Scholarship Foundation: leadership advisory council X 2, district/state judge for DECA, Ronald McDonald House volunteer, and Pre-Med Allied Honor Society.
Interviews extended/date:
Interviews accepted/date:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Last edited:
How did your interview with ICO go? Any advice or tips?
It went well! The one on one interview was open file which I like better than closed because she had some questions prepared already. It honestly didn't feel like I was being interviewed though; it was very conversational and laid back. It started off with academic focused questions and me asking her questions about ICO and it ended with us talking about our interests outside of optometry. The only advice I really have is to be yourself. I know that is so corny, but the interview felt like I was talking to a classmate or friend rather than a professor at an optometry school. Good luck!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/03/2020
Date verified: 07/20/2020 (had to wait for transcripts)
OAT Scores: 300 AA/300 TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.85
Extracurriculars: Research Assistant 2 years, Teaching Assistant (Neuroscience Anat. Lab), Optometric Tech, Medical Clerk, Shadowed 5 doctors, Special Olympics Opening Eyes Volunteer, Autism Speaks Member, Attended 2 Summer Optometry Programs, Exec member of my Pre-Opt Club
Schools applied: NSU, UAB, SCO, IUSO, AZCOPT, PCO Salus
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT (07/29), UAB (8/5), SCO (8/5), NSU (8/17), IUSO (8/13), PCO Salus (8/28)
Interviews accepted/date: AZCOPT (08/12), UAB (8/26), SCO (8/13), NSU (8/31)
Interviews declined/date: IUSO (8/13), PCO Salus (8/28)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCO (8/19), AZCOPT (8/21), UAB (8/28)

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on all your acceptances! Have you decided which school you will attend?

Hey yall !
Date OptomCAS submitted:08/26/2020
Date verified:08/31/2020
OAT Scores: 340 AA/ 330 TS
Majors: Biochemistry and Russian
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.38/2.8 science? Not sure tbh lol
Extracurricular Activities: 2.5 years of biochem research with a published paper in Biochemistry, Russian studies paper accepted in an undergrad research symposium, orority president and risk manager, Russian club president 2 years, Slavic honor society and president, 70 hours volunteering with Habitat, 3 years peer tutor for Russian and stats, 5 years assistant/receptionist at OD/MD practice and 80 hours shadowing there, 20 hours shadowing different specialties at SUNY, full time technician presently for an ophthalmology practice
Schools applied: SUNY, Salus, NECO
Interviews extended/date: NECO and Salus 9/1, SUNY 9/2
Interviews accepted/date: NECO 9/11, Salus 9/28, SUNY 10/15
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: NECO 9/21, Salus 10/1, SUNY 10/16

If you think your GPA isn’t good enough this is your sign!!! I was super nervous of even getting any interviews but I got one from NECO right away - your experiences and character speak so much louder than your stats do :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/01/2020
Date verified:09/03/2020
OAT Scores: 310AA/310TS
Major: Psychology/ Biology minor
GPA: 3.00
Extracurricular Activities: 1 year working as an optometric assistant, shadowed for 70 hours with multiple different doctors, other employment through first 2 years of undergrad, member of pre-opt club at my university, also an assistant coach for a softball team.
Schools applied: AZCOPT, Western, KYCO, MCPHS, SCO, OSU, PUCO
Interviews extended/date: MCPHS (09/22), Western (09/22), KYCO (11/06)
Interviews accepted/date: MCPHS (10/05), Western (10/02), KYCO (11/16)
Rejections/date: AZCOPT, PUCO
Acceptance/date: MCPHS (10/14), Western (10/07), KYCO (11/23)

Good luck to everyone :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Congrats on all your acceptances! Have you decided which school you will attend?
Hey! I am from the south and want to stay in the south, which was why I declined the other two interviews. I have not decided yet though! I admire all the programs but still waiting to hear back about scholarship info from a couple. I'll update when I decide so I can start chatting with my future classmates! :clap:

Reactions: 3 users
For those who have received an invitation to interview with Salus, are you applying to the Traditional program, Scholars program, or both? I had my application verified and all my supplementary materials turned in by late July but have not heard back from them yet. Just wondering if I should reach out to them about my file or not

For those who have received an invitation to interview with Salus, are you applying to the Traditional program, Scholars program, or both? I had my application verified and all my supplementary materials turned in by late July but have not heard back from them yet. Just wondering if I should reach out to them about my file or not

I applied for the traditional program only and received an interview invite a few days ago even though I still need to do my CASPer test. It couldn't hurt contacting admissions to see if they need additional materials still. My application was verified on 08/26, if that helps.

Hi guys! Has anyone received an interview invite from UIWRSO yet? I had my application verified on 08/14 and just received an email saying they are reviewing my application last week. Have not heard anything since then.