Class of 2025 :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! I'm also applying to UCB, but I don't plan on submitting my application until October because I'm not taking my OAT until early October. Did you interview with other people as well? I was wondering how many people get interviewed each month because I don't want to feel like I submitted my application too late. Congrats on landing an interview though!
So I interviewed alone with a faculty member and a current student. They do have a mandatory zoom meeting on a different day with the other applicants and current students. They don't evaluate you during that one and you can ask as many questions as you want. On that zoom meeting I think I saw about 14 other students. So I would guess maybe 15-20 applicants in the first round. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/7/20
Date verified: 7/15/20
OAT Scores: 360 AA/350 TS
Major: Biomedical Sciences with a minor in Business
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.88 overall, 3.78 science
Extracurricular Activities: worked in optometry office, shadowed 2 optometrists, couple of different volunteer groups, leadership position in sorority, part-time job
Schools applied: NECO, SCO, ICO, UAB, NOVA
Interviews extended/date: NECO (7/23), UAB (7/29), SCO (8/5), NOVA (8/17), ICO (8/19)
Interviews accepted/date: NECO (8/21), UAB (8/25), SCO (8/13), NOVA (8/24), ICO (8/31)
Interviews declined/date:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCO (8/19), NOVA (8/27), UAB (8/28), NECO (9/4)

Good luck to everyone!!
Have you made a decision ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/27/20
Date verified: 8/28/20
OAT Scores: 320 AA/TS
Major: Health Science
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.6 overall/3.4 science
Schools applied: so many lol - ICO, MCPHS, AZCOPT, CCO, NOVA, NECO, SCCO, SCO, SUNY, UMSL, Western U
Interviews extended/date: ICO (9/14), MCPHS (9/3), CCO (9/4), AZCOPT (8/31), NECO (9/4), SCCO (9/10), SCO (9/10), SUNY (9/8), UMSL (9/11), Western U (9/14)
Interviews accepted/date: MCPHS (9/10), CCO (9/14), AZCOPT (9/16), SCO (9/29), SCCO (9/24), UMSL (9/25) NECO (10/2)
Interviews declined/date: ICO (ICO was very hard to contact), NOVA (they messed up my application twice so i just said forget it lol), Western U (i'd rather go to SCCO), SUNY (this was hard to say no to but i think i could see myself at SCCO or AZCOPT more)
Rejections/date: -
Acceptance/date: MCPHS (9/16), CCO (9/16), AZCOPT (9/24), SCCO (9/25), UMSL (9/25), SCO (10/2), NECO (10/6)

extracurricular activities: worked for an optometrist for almost 2 years, volunteered through adapted gymnastics and adapted sports in columbia, went on a medical brigade to ghana, africa, member of sigma eta rho (health science fraternity), pre-optometry club vice president, intramural soccer team captain, sorority philanthropy and social chair, phi sigma theta member (national honor society)

right now im super torn between SCCO & AZCOPT!!! gonna visit both schools and decide after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Schools applied: so many lol - ICO, MCPHS, AZCOPT, CCO, NOVA, NECO, SCCO, SCO, SUNY, UMSL, Western U
Interviews extended/date: ICO (9/14), MCPHS (9/3), CCO (9/4), AZCOPT (8/31), NECO (9/4), SCCO (9/10), SCO (9/10), SUNY (9/8), UMSL (9/11), Western U (9/14)
Interviews accepted/date: ICO (haven't picked a date yet), MCPHS (9/10), CCO (9/14), AZCOPT (9/16), SCO (9/17), SCCO (9/24), UMSL (9/25) NECO (10/2), SUNY (10/19), Western U (haven't picked a date yet)
Interviews declined/date: -
Acceptance/date: MCPHS (9/16), CCO (9/16)

extracurricular activities: worked for an optometrist for almost 2 years, volunteered through adapted gymnastics and adapted sports in columbia, went on a medical brigade to ghana, africa, member of sigma eta rho (health science fraternity), pre-optometry club vice president, intramural soccer team captain, sorority philanthropy and social chair, phi sigma theta member (national honor society)

will keep updating as interview more:)
What was the MCPHS interview like?

What was the MCPHS interview like?
it was really laid back! it was just an hour one-on-one interview with a faculty member. she asked a lot of questions but they were pretty general and casual, the conversation just flowed and i was able to ask her a lot of questions too.

Interviews accepted/date: ICO (haven't picked a date yet), MCPHS (9/10), CCO (9/14), AZCOPT (9/16), SCO (9/17), SCCO (9/24), UMSL (9/25) NECO (10/2), SUNY (10/19), Western U (haven't picked a date yet)
Interviews declined/date: -
Acceptance/date: MCPHS (9/16), CCO (9/16)

will keep updating as interview more:)

Congrats on all the interviews! Which school are you hoping to go to?

Congrats on all the interviews! Which school are you hoping to go to?
thank you:) im actually having a really hard time deciding lol, my top two are probably SCCO & AZCOPT if anyone wants to help me out that would be awesome!

Last edited:
Got my official acceptance from NOVA today. Waiting int the others to see what my options are
Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/14/2020
Date verified: 08/15/2020
OAT Scores: 350 AA/ 380 TS
Major: Physiology
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.76/3.61
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowed 3 optometrists at 2 clinics, volunteer at college organization(120 hrs), volunteer work at different organizations(60 hrs). Internship in senator office(3 months).
Multiple honors and dean’s list awards plus certifications in 3 honor societies.
Letters of Recommendation: 1 from Optometrist(observed with), 1 from Honors College Teacher, 1 from Chemistry Teacher, and 1 from college organization where I volunteered.
Schools applied: AZCOPT, PUCO, PCO, NOVA, OSU
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT (08/17/2020), PUCO (08/16/2020), OSU(09/01/2020), NOVA(09/04/2020)
Interviews accepted/date: AZCOPT (09/16), PUCO (09/11), NOVA (09/14)
Interviews declined/date: OSU (9/5)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Waitlisted:
I declined an interview to OSU as it wasn't really the top choice and with the requirement to actually visit their campus just to be accepted to a school that isn't on the top of my list didn't make much sense to me. No disrespect to Ohio State, I just applied for it as a possible choice if the others don't work out and I assumed the interview would be online like every other school that offered me an interview.
Got my official acceptance from NOVA today. Waiting for the other schools to see what my options are.

Got my official acceptance from NOVA today. Waiting int the others to see what my options are

Got my official acceptance from NOVA today. Waiting for the other schools to see what my options are.
Got my Pacific Acceptance on the same day as NOVA. Waiting on AZCOPT.

What is your top school? I interviewed with AZCOPT on Tuesday! Hoping to attend there.
Pacific is in Forest Grove which is a bit too small to live in for myself personally. Midwestern and NOVA are pretty similar in that they are warm and urban setting. AZCOPT seemed like a better program with more advanced tech but both programs get high 90s percentile in board pass rates so I'm getting a good education regardless on where I choose to attend. Guess it just depends on what setting I would prefer. NOVA offered a 20k scholarship and with cheaper tuition, it makes more sense money wise. I guess I'll have to visit both places assuming I get accepted to AZCOPT. If anyone has some insight into where I should go, feel free to let me know. Good luck with your application. Midwestern is a good school so I think you're pretty wise to consider it so highly.

Members don't see this ad :)
what was your interview experience with Pacific like?
Pretty rigorous compared to AZCOPT and NOVA. The interview lasted for around 45 minutes to an hour and they ask you every interview question in the book. Two people conduct the interview. Honestly just practice all the generic interview questions so your firm with your answers and you will do fine. Just know its extensive and can be pretty intense for the first time interviewer that I was.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty rigorous compared to AZCOPT and NOVA. The interview lasted for around 45 minutes to an hour and they ask you every interview question in the book. Two people conduct the interview. Honestly just practice all the generic interview questions so your firm with your answers and you will do fine. Just know its extensive and can be pretty intense for the first time interviewer that I was.
Oh yikes!!! Thank you for the heads up

How was the admissions interview (the first one) for SCO? It says it will last 15-30 minutes. Do they just go over my grades, scores, scholarship opportunities, etc..?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/23/2020
Date verified: 07/27/2020
OAT Scores: 360 AA/350 TS
Major: Biology
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.55/3.56
Extracurricular Activities: Worked at 3 optometry offices, shadowed 2 optometrists, UCLA Jules Stein Eye Institute volunteer, pre-optometry club, volunteered at free health fairs, cabinet member for 2 years in my sorority
Schools applied: UCBSO, SCCO
Interviews extended/date: SCCO (8/4), UCBSO (8/10)
Interviews accepted/date: SCCO (9/2), UCBSO (8/25)
Interviews declined/date: 0
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCCO (9/8)
what was the SCCO interview like? i have mine next week! congrats on the acceptance:)

Hey all! I just received an interview with pco, which is my top school. It’s going to be my first interview so I want to go in strong. Can anyone that’s had an interview there let me know how it went, the duration, if there were multiple components such as an essay or multiple people interviewing, closed or open file, and any overall advice. I really want to do well. Thank you for any advice and good luck to everyone!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/14/2020
Date verified: 07/20/2020
OAT Scores: AA: 280, TS: 260
Major: Biological Sciences, Minor in Chemistry
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.33 overall, 3.39 science
Schools applied: AZCOPT, CCO, UMSL, IUSO, PCO
Interviews extended/date: UMSL (08/06), CCO (08/07), PCO (08/28), IUSO (09/04)
Interviews accepted/date: UMSL (08/31), CCO (08/18), PCO (09/14), IUSO (10/30)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: UMSL (08/31/2020), PCO (09/17/2020)
I received the initial email from PCO yesterday as well that says I was accepted and it said the official letter will be emailed shortly. I never got it, just wanted to see if you did? also congrats!! what's your top choice?

Hey all! I just received an interview with pco, which is my top school. It’s going to be my first interview so I want to go in strong. Can anyone that’s had an interview there let me know how it went, the duration, if there were multiple components such as an essay or multiple people interviewing, closed or open file, and any overall advice. I really want to do well. Thank you for any advice and good luck to everyone!
Hi! I interviewed with PCO earlier this week and received my acceptance yesterday. The interviews are conducted by the admissions staff, mine was with the assistant director of admissions. The interview is open file so they will likely already have looked through your file. I wish I remembered specific questions that he asked me but I think all of them were similar to the ones that can be found on SDN! Be sure to answer questions about any academic irregularities or difficulties you may have had, your strengths and what you can bring to PCO, and do a little bit of research on what optometry is and maybe even the scope of practice in your home state and in Pennsylvania. Of all of my interviews, this one was the only one that asked me questions about optometry, I don't think he was quizzing me but wanted to get an idea of my knowledge on optometry! good luck, you'll do great!

Not yet! Still waiting to hear back from ICO (they said it should be tomorrow or Friday) and I still have a couple tours to go on!
Has ICO gotten back to you?

what was the SCCO interview like? i have mine next week! congrats on the acceptance:)
It was really casual and conversational! They first put you and other interviewees in a room with Dr. Munroe and other staff where they welcome you and give some introductions, then separate you into breakout rooms with one staff member to interview you. Overall, I just remembered them asking me the generic questions (describe your path to optometry, one negative thing about optometry, an adversity you've faced, challenges in optometry) and then you get the chance to ask questions. The interview is about 45 min and then you get placed back in the main room and they go over your missing requirements if you have any. Honestly everyone was really nice and just wants to get to know you so I loved the interview :)

If you don't mind sharing, how was the OSU interview? And what were your extra-curriculars like? I hope to get into OSU as well! :)

The interview was very intimidating in my opinion... I thought I prepared for it but they asked me so many off the wall questions! I did not think it went well at all, but I was told when I got my call that they really liked how I interviewed so I feel like it is set up to be a bit uncomfortable! (Don’t over think it like I did!) As for my extracurriculars I was pretty involved! I am the President of a club call Her Campus, a member of NSLS, a part of Thon, and the secretary of Penn State Science ambassadors! I also worked for an ophthalmologist and an optometrist for 3 summers that totaled up to around 850 hours!
They look at you very holistically and if your GPA and OATs are good than you should feel good, if they aren’t the best and you have extracurriculars to make up for it than you should be good !
Hope that helps!

A late post but here we go...

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/27/20
Date verified: 07/28/20
OAT Scores: 400/400
Major: Molecular and Cell Bio
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.64/3.60
Schools applied: UC Berkeley
Interviews extended/date: 8/10
Interviews accepted/date: 8/25
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: 09/18

I will be attending UC Berkeley :) hmu if you are too!!

Reactions: 6 users
Pacific is in Forest Grove which is a bit too small to live in for myself personally. Midwestern and NOVA are pretty similar in that they are warm and urban setting. AZCOPT seemed like a better program with more advanced tech but both programs get high 90s percentile in board pass rates so I'm getting a good education regardless on where I choose to attend. Guess it just depends on what setting I would prefer. NOVA offered a 20k scholarship and with cheaper tuition, it makes more sense money wise. I guess I'll have to visit both places assuming I get accepted to AZCOPT. If anyone has some insight into where I should go, feel free to let me know. Good luck with your application. Midwestern is a good school so I think you're pretty wise to consider it so highly.
Hey! I think you should consider NOVA but keep in mind that the 20k scholarship from them is most likely going to be made up by the high cost of living in Ft. Lauderdale. I got the same offer and I am from Florida, it is not cheap living compared to the towns other programs are in. Keep that in mind and congrats!

Has ICO gotten back to you?
Not yet, I'm getting nervous! But they did say we will hear from them no matter what as there are 4 types of admissions decisions, so I'm just hoping they haven't sent out the emails yet lol

Not yet, I'm getting nervous! But they did say we will hear from them no matter what as there are 4 types of admissions decisions, so I'm just hoping they haven't sent out the emails yet lol
Oh my gosh that's so strange!! Best of luck though I'm sure they are just being slow

The interview was very intimidating in my opinion... I thought I prepared for it but they asked me so many off the wall questions! I did not think it went well at all, but I was told when I got my call that they really liked how I interviewed so I feel like it is set up to be a bit uncomfortable! (Don’t over think it like I did!) As for my extracurriculars I was pretty involved! I am the President of a club call Her Campus, a member of NSLS, a part of Thon, and the secretary of Penn State Science ambassadors! I also worked for an ophthalmologist and an optometrist for 3 summers that totaled up to around 850 hours!
They look at you very holistically and if your GPA and OATs are good than you should feel good, if they aren’t the best and you have extracurriculars to make up for it than you should be good !
Hope that helps!
Did you have only one interviewer?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/22/2020
Date verified: 08/25/2020
OAT Scores: TBD (Taking Oct. 22)
Major: Biology
GPA:
3.68 overall, 3.43 science
Extracurricular Activities: 30 hours shadowing an optometrist and an ophthalmologist, 20 hours volunteering at a nonprofit for the visually impaired in Chicago, Vice President of Programming and Secretary of my sorority, two part time jobs, immunology research internship at a medical school, research study abroad in Spain
Schools applied: IUSO, ICO, OSU, CCO
Interviews extended/date: IUSO (09/04/2020)
Interviews accepted/date: IUSO (09/18/2020)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

I submitted my app for ICO, OSU, and CCO on September 4th. I don't have too much experience in the field and haven't taken my OAT yet but hoping I still have a shot for some interviews! Will continue to update :)
How did your IUSO interview go?

Hope that helps!
Thank you for sharing! What types of questions were asked that you felt unprepared for?

Did anyone make a final decision on where they’re attending next fall?

I just paid my NSU deposit and I’m still waiting on a couple more decisions (most likely will go through with Nova though)

Congrats & Good luck to all!✨

I got my NOVA acceptance last week! I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools but I'm definitely considering it :)

Thank you for sharing! What types of questions were asked that you felt unprepared for?

a good amount about inequality and my take on situations that I find myself surrounding inequality. A time a failed that was not academics, and they asked me why I was interested in optometry other than what I mentioned in my personal statement

How did your IUSO interview go?
It went well I think! Like most of the posts on here IUSO’s “interview” isn’t really an interview at all, mostly just an informational session and a Q&A. Make sure you have a lot of questions ready and are engaging in the conversation. There were breakout rooms where you and a few students were with a current optometry student and a faculty member, the only thing they ask is to briefly introduce yourself (i.e. where you go to school, major, etc). The faculty and students were very sweet and chill, so don’t be worried! Overall loved the positive encouraging atmosphere, great alumni network, and numerous research and extracurricular activities. Hoping to hear back from them soon.

Hi everyone! Does anyone have some insight for NOVA vs PCO? I've talked to students from both schools and I've always been more interested in PCO since it is close to home. I also like that they start clinical practice so early. When I interviewed at NOVA the Associate Dean said that they also start practicing clinical skills early. I am considering NOVA now because Florida would be a completely new experience for me which would be nice. But if anyone has any advice or suggestions please let me know!

Hey! The interview was pretty laid back, and everything I was asked was on the sdn interview page! My interview was one-on-one with the associate director of admissions, Lawrence Walsh. The interview was super conversational, even though it was just the two of us. After all my answers he would say "aww good" or "awesome!', I could tell he really cared that I felt comfortable. There are two sections to the interview, the first is just standard questions regarding optometry and getting to know you. That was about 20 minutes long. (Make sure you know how to answer "what are the opportunities for optometry? What are the challenges?")
In the second section, he opened up my application on his computer and had me explain my OAT and any of my grades that weren't the best. He was extremely reassuring the whole time, and there was no judgment from him. That lasted about fifteen minutes, and then it ended with me asking questions which lasted about five minutes. In total we used about 40 minutes of the allotted hour. He said their admissions board only meets every two and a half weeks, so decisions after interviews can take around two weeks.

What questions did he ask to "get to know you"? Was it like "Tell me about yourself"?

Hi everyone! Does anyone have some insight for NOVA vs PCO? I've talked to students from both schools and I've always been more interested in PCO since it is close to home. I also like that they start clinical practice so early. When I interviewed at NOVA the Associate Dean said that they also start practicing clinical skills early. I am considering NOVA now because Florida would be a completely new experience for me which would be nice. But if anyone has any advice or suggestions please let me know!
I liked PCO because they started clinicals earlier as well. When I asked Nova's about it, you start practicing your skills on your classmates but you don't see an actual patient until the summer of your second year or after that, I think. PCO you start seeing patients earlier. Nova's first two years are just didactic learning years basically.

I was considering PCO since I have family in northern MD, but the difference would be that PCO has a little more students per class and from what I heard a little less up to date technology (this is what I heard from a past student). Also PCO has eye centers that are farther away that require a bit of a drive and NOVA's are all pretty close together. Also, PCO is in a suburb of Philadelphia and not actually Philadelphia like some may think. You also might want to consider how PCO does tests (testing center/lock down browser/test blocks) and PCO has less health professional schools at Salus. However, I have shadowed 2 doctors that are PCO alumni and now work in NC, which is a hard state to pass boards in so you will get a great education at either school. I guess location is a big factor to look at here since PA and FL are two completely different areas. You should also look at externship sites and look at where you eventually want to practice! That may help you decide. Does PCO give any break to PA residents? you should think about that too.

Hi guys! Has anyone received an interview invite from UIWRSO yet? I had my application verified on 08/14 and just received an email saying they are reviewing my application last week. Have not heard anything since then.
Hi! I don't know if you're still waiting to hear back, but I received an interview invite from UIWRSO on 09/11.

How long did it take to hear back from IUSO?
They reached out to me about an interview about a week and a half after my application was received and I received my offer about 4 days after my interview!

Hope that helps!
This was sooo helpful. Can you remember any example questions they asked you? How did the preparation videos compare to the actual thing? My interview is next month!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: July 15
Date verified: July 18
OAT Scores: 300/300
Major: Life Sciences
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.09/3.02
Schools applied: PCO, MCPHS, SCO, ICO, NOVA, IAUPR, MCO, IUSO, UABSO, KYCO
Interviews extended/date: NOVA (8/21), ICO (8/21), IUSO (8/24), MCPHS (8/26), PCO (8/28), KYCO (9/17), IAUPR (9/17)
Interviews accepted/date: NOVA (9/14), ICO (9/18), IUSO (10/16), MCPHS (9/8), PCO (9/22), KYCO (9/25), IAUPR (10/2)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: MCPHS (9/9), NOVA (9/18)

what do you guys think? My GPA and OAT scores are on the lower end but I have a lot of extracurricular involvement with almost 5 years of experience in working in an optometry office, shadowing several doctors and have a high leadership position at my university's optometry club.

Edit: I've only decided to accept all the interviews as I wanna experience and see how each school is virtually as I don't have the option to see them in person.
Hi! I also interviewed at ICO on the same day! Do you remember when they told us we would know their decision by?

Hi! I also interviewed at ICO on the same day! Do you remember when they told us we would know their decision by?
Hello! They said by two weeks from the day we interviewed as the admissions team meets every 2 weeks and they already met for that period (the day before!) Good luck!

They reached out to me about an interview about a week and a half after my application was received and I received my offer about 4 days after my interview!

Same! I was surprised to see the acceptance e-mail since they mentioned during the interview that it could take up to two weeks!

How was your interview? I have mine tomorrow and am not sure what to expect!